2011 crowds

Remove this Banner Ad

So you want to the AFL to set prices for individual games.

They already do. Have you seen the GF ticket prices?

Does that not only make the AFL look incrediably greedy, more greedy then with a single uniformly high price it would also piss alot of Carlton and Essendon fans who would be effectively paying twice the price for the same seat.

How does reducing the price for a certain subset make the AFL more greedy?

There's greater demand for a game like Carlton vs Essendon, it's a superior product. People would come to terms with paying more in comparison, if not, I'm sure someone else will fill their seat.

Yeah not too bad for a comp on last legs according to the NRL and the Sydney media:D

Melbourne's a bastion where the big traditional clubs are concerned. It's why they rig the fixture. How many would turn out for a Victorian club v GC or GWS is another matter.

Each week has a different price but each game within the same week has the same price.
Negative, this year weeks 1 & 2 are the same price.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Each week has a different price but each game within the same week has the same price.

Yeah and I think this week proved that one size doesn't fit all.

That is not how it would be perceived. The public would view it as the AFL price gouging fans by raising the price for popular games.

But they wouldn't be raising prices. Maintain the uniform price across the board, but if a game is obviously going to be less popular and not sell out, lower the prices on a certain section of seats that likely would've gone unsold (i.e. pretty much the whole of level 4, or say, half way up on level 4).

Yeah and I think this week proved that one size doesn't fit all.

But they wouldn't be raising prices. Maintain the uniform price across the board, but if a game is obviously going to be less popular and not sell out, lower the prices on a certain section of seats that likely would've gone unsold (i.e. pretty much the whole of level 4, or say, half way up on level 4).

That provides an incentive for people to wait in the hope that prices will be lowered due to inadequate demand.

I don't have a problem with changing different prices for different areas of the ground. Some seats are better than others so obviously you can justify different prices for ground seats vs upper tier but you cannot adjust the price based on ticket sales or expected ticket sales as it will provide undesirable incentives.

Finals Week 1
------------------

Geelong v hawthorn - 73,400 (MCG)
Collingwood v West coast - 67,379 (MCG)
St Kilda v Sydney - 39,205 (Etihad)
Carlton v Essendon - 90,161 (MCG)

Total Week 1 Crowd: 270,145 (ave 67,536)
This is a new record for AFL Week 1 Finals attendance under the Final 8 or other system. However, the best average crowd for week 1 remains 1970 with an average 108,538.

2010 Week 1 Crowd: 214,468 (53,617)
2009 Week 1 Crowd: 241,315 (60,329)
2008 Week 1 Crowd: 205,168 (51,292)
1970 Week 1 Crowd: 217,077 (108,538)

Remove this Banner Ad

2011 crowds

Remove this Banner Ad

Back