Discussion 2011 Memberships

Remove this Banner Ad

there are always a few provisos with memberships coming out
and not having any idea of what yours entail
but anyone with reserved seat and possibly now Social clib as well- even though you need to get in early are reliant on Ticketmaster and Etihad and they don;t get into gear till the new year...
especially if involving new or moving seats.

there are always a few provisos with memberships coming out
and not having any idea of what yours entail
but anyone with reserved seat and possibly now Social clib as well- even though you need to get in early are reliant on Ticketmaster and Etihad and they don;t get into gear till the new year...
especially if involving new or moving seats.

Im getting reserved seats, but i couldnt care less when mine arrives aslong as its before the first game. Im more annoyed cos i bought my parents memberships for christmas and i made sure i paid and got everything done with days of memberships becoming available to make sure i had the packs for xmas so i could give it to them. But as it turned out all i could give them was a card and an IOU 1 membership. Its really not good enough imo and they really need to get more professional about everything.

Im getting reserved seats, but i couldnt care less when mine arrives aslong as its before the first game. Im more annoyed cos i bought my parents memberships for christmas and i made sure i paid and got everything done with days of memberships becoming available to make sure i had the packs for xmas so i could give it to them. But as it turned out all i could give them was a card and an IOU 1 membership. Its really not good enough imo and they really need to get more professional about everything.

Please be sure to e-mail the club and let them know just how dissatisfied you are.

I love the St Kilda footy club, but I am constantly disappointed with the merchandising and membership efforts. I know a lot of work used to be done by volunteer staff in times gone by, and I was happy to let them cost cut for the sake of the bottom line for the club. But now it is time to see a new level of professionalism in these areas seeing that we are making > $ million profits.

Make your expectations known.

Maybe the club could even use Christmas memberships as a marketing tool - if they can guarantee delivery.

Please be sure to e-mail the club and let them know just how dissatisfied you are.

I love the St Kilda footy club, but I am constantly disappointed with the merchandising and membership efforts. I know a lot of work used to be done by volunteer staff in times gone by, and I was happy to let them cost cut for the sake of the bottom line for the club. But now it is time to see a new level of professionalism in these areas seeing that we are making > $ million profits.

Maybe the club could even use Christmas memberships as a marketing tool - if they can guarantee delivery.

I'm somewhat forgiving them based on the whole shift to Frankston that it can be chalked up to needing to port over services, since I'm also a "newbie" member I've not really encountered poor services like some of you all have to perhaps be influenced by it?

I'm somewhat forgiving them based on the whole shift to Frankston that it can be chalked up to needing to port over services, since I'm also a "newbie" member I've not really encountered poor services like some of you all have to perhaps be influenced by it?

Is it still the case that volunteers assist in the processing the memberships?

If so that might have a bearing on poor service.

I have to admit as somebody who rolls over the same memberships for 3 people each year I've never had any trouble. As reserved seat holders we know we don't receive our memberships until February. I can understand for those people who weren't purchasing reserved seats and got them in early specifically so they would have them before christmas it would be frustrating. Definitely send them an e-mail or even give them a call when the office re-opens.

Last year didnt we get discounts at some Pharmacy if we presented our membership card or something? So they may do something along the same lines again....

Yea i have already sent them an email regarding this issue, but havent got a reply and i wont hold my breath waiting for one either. As i think world peace could come first :eek:

I was under the distinct impression thats what they were getting at (Christmas Memberships) by having a renew by date to get your packs before Xmas.

Ill just wait patiently for a reply from them and hopefully for the 2012 memberships they dont stuff us around again.

anyone know if we get a discount if we use one of our major sponsors??
eg: if i went to stegbar or jeldwen to purchase stuff for the house is there possibility of a discount being a saints member?

im tending to think no....?

Last year didnt we get discounts at some Pharmacy if we presented our membership card or something? So they may do something along the same lines again....

Certainly do.

You're thinking of Pulse Pharmacy aussie.

That information is available in your membership handbook.

Yea i have already sent them an email regarding this issue, but havent got a reply and i wont hold my breath waiting for one either. As i think world peace could come first :eek:

I was under the distinct impression thats what they were getting at (Christmas Memberships) by having a renew by date to get your packs before Xmas.

Ill just wait patiently for a reply from them and hopefully for the 2012 memberships they dont stuff us around again.

AT going on my experience you won't get a reply:(

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Do you guys remember when butters first came in, memberships included like an entertainment card that allowed you to get discounts at restaurants, etc. That was noice.

Finally got around to getting signed up. $140 (16 game Youth membership) is pretty good. Next task is finding somebody to go with.

Was looking forward to the package coming in the mail soon but judging by all of your experiences, it sounds as if I'll be waiting a while.

Hope it arrives next week with this whole shift in base going on but I can wait for now.

I renewed my St.kilda social club membership straight away, so I was under the impression I would receive my membership in the mail before Xmas.

It's the first day of 2011 and still nothing doing. I hope it's not lost.

We renew every year very early (being social club members we don't really get a choice) and it always forms my dads, mine and my kids presents and I think once we got the pack before x-mas.

I do believe though that due to trying to score another sponser they were unable to produce merchindise so that could be why we were not sent anything before chrissy this year even though they said they would.

Below is an email I sent to the club on the 13th April, 2010.

<start>
Attention: Please forward to the Manager - Memberships

I am an unhappy St Kilda Football Club Social Club member, Gold Level. My teenage son and daughter are also Gold Level Social Club members and my wife is a Silver Level social club member. As a family we have been supporting the club financially for many years through many ups and downs.

St Kilda’s recent on-field success in recent years has seen a significant growth in club members including social club which is great for the club.

However there is a down side to this for those long serving social club members like myself and my family. When St Kilda first moved their home games to the Docklands (now Etihad) Stadium, there were significantly less social club members than there are now. Part of the arrangement at Docklands was the provision of a “walk-up” social club seating area on Level 1. The “walk-up” description quickly became a misnomer as it was soon apparent that simply arriving on match day to obtain a seat in this area was usually unsuccessful, particularly for higher drawing games. I therefore quickly got in the habit of pre-booking seats in this area at the additional expense of the ticketing agency’s booking fees.

Over the last few seasons, as the clubs membership rose and the Social Club Membership reached a cap of 11500, it has become increasingly difficult to obtain a seat in the social club seating area. This morning I attempted to book four seats in this area for the Fremantle twilight game this Sunday, what would characteristically be a relatively low drawing fixture. I was unable to book earlier as I was away for the weekend. I was however unsuccessful. After making some enquiries I was informed that over the same period that the St Kilda social club membership has been increasing year to year, the size of the social club seating area at Etihad has remained static at 3500. I was also advised that bookings for this area opens on the Saturday morning, the weekend prior to the game. Not everyone can sit on the internet or on the phone at 9.00 am on a Saturday morning. My family has commitments, my son plays football on Saturday mornings. And simple mathematics means that less than a third of the St Kilda social club members will get access to a seat in this area at each home game. The rest are forced into one of several options:

1. Pay the additional cost to sit in reserved seating on Level 1, which for my family would be over $100.00 a game
2. Pay the additional cost to sit in reserved seating on Level 3, which for my family would be over $50.00 a game
3. Pay just the booking fee to seat in the General Admission nose bleed seats on Level 3, (myself and my family loathe sitting on Level 3)

The other longer term option is to upgrade my membership to reserved seating, again at a significant extra expense.

My employment and my children’s sporting commitments make it virtually impossible to attend every St Kilda home game which means I can simply not justify the cost of having reserved season seats which for many home games would go unused. I have however, always committed my family to social club membership at a total cost in the order of $1000.00 a season, even in seasons where we have been able to attend only a handful of games. The availability of the social club seating area meant that, even though I was in effect donating money to the club, at least when we could attend a game I usually did not have to incur additional expense to do so. Something that no longer applies.

Why have the club not negotiated an increase in the size of the social club seating area at Etihad in line with the increase in social club members? I feel like the club is surreptitiously forcing social club members to upgrade to reserved seating in order to increase membership revenues.

If this situation continues as is into next season I am extremely unlikely to renew my family’s membership next year. I simply cannot justify the cost when the social club membership we have no longer provides the level of benefits it did in previous years.

I would appreciate a response to this email and preferably not a response that simply outlines the more expensive membership categories available and not a response that offers the gratuitous advise to book earlier. I would like a response that includes a justification of why the social club seating area has not been increased in size. And please don’t simply shift the blame for this to Etihad Stadium management. To do that would be to rub salt into the wound. Everything is negotiable. If the club want to retain long serving loyal members then they need to act on their behalf and not treat them as numbered revenue streams.
<end>

I got a prompt replay which more or less confirmed my feelings. Lo and behold, pre Christmas, a letter comes from the club "offering" reserved seating for Social Club members who booked seats in the Social Club seating area in 2010 throught the ticketing agency. The thinly veiled threat in this letter was if you don't take up this "offer", the Social CLub seating area will be completely allocated in season 2011 to reserved seats and the rest will either have to pay extra to sit on Level 1 or take your chances in the nosebleed sections some of which has also been allocated as reserved seating. So I have taken up this "offer" at the additonal cost of $320.00, on top of the $1000.00 or so already paid for Social Club membership. (What choice did I have?) My cynical suspicion that the club was trying to force Social Club members to take up reserved seating seems to have been not so cynical after all. Are there any other Social Club members out there who feel like me that they have been rail-roaded into taking out reserved seating?
Apologies for the long post but had to get this off my chest and have a gripe.

<start>

I am an unhappy St Kilda Football Club Social Club member, Gold Level. My teenage son and daughter are also Gold Level Social Club members and my wife is a Silver Level social club member. As a family we have been supporting the club financially for many years through many ups and downs.

St Kilda’s recent on-field success in recent years has seen a significant growth in club members including social club which is great for the club.

However there is a down side to this for those long serving social club members like myself and my family. When St Kilda first moved their home games to the Docklands (now Etihad) Stadium, there were significantly less social club members than there are now. Part of the arrangement at Docklands was the provision of a “walk-up” social club seating area on Level 1. The “walk-up” description quickly became a misnomer as it was soon apparent that simply arriving on match day to obtain a seat in this area was usually unsuccessful, particularly for higher drawing games. I therefore quickly got in the habit of pre-booking seats in this area at the additional expense of the ticketing agency’s booking fees.

Over the last few seasons, as the clubs membership rose and the Social Club Membership reached a cap of 11500, it has become increasingly difficult to obtain a seat in the social club seating area. This morning I attempted to book four seats in this area for the Fremantle twilight game this Sunday, what would characteristically be a relatively low drawing fixture. I was unable to book earlier as I was away for the weekend. I was however unsuccessful. After making some enquiries I was informed that over the same period that the St Kilda social club membership has been increasing year to year, the size of the social club seating area at Etihad has remained static at 3500. I was also advised that bookings for this area opens on the Saturday morning, the weekend prior to the game. Not everyone can sit on the internet or on the phone at 9.00 am on a Saturday morning. My family has commitments, my son plays football on Saturday mornings. And simple mathematics means that less than a third of the St Kilda social club members will get access to a seat in this area at each home game. The rest are forced into one of several options:

1.Pay the additional cost to sit in reserved seating on Level 1, which for my family would be over $100.00 a game
2.Pay the additional cost to sit in reserved seating on Level 3, which for my family would be over $50.00 a game
3.Pay just the booking fee to seat in the General Admission nose bleed seats on Level 3, (myself and my family loathe sitting on Level 3)

The other longer term option is to upgrade my membership to reserved seating, again at a significant extra expense.

My employment and my children’s sporting commitments make it virtually impossible to attend every St Kilda home game which means I can simply not justify the cost of having reserved season seats which for many home games would go unused. I have however, always committed my family to social club membership at a total cost in the order of $1000.00 a season, even in seasons where we have been able to attend only a handful of games. The availability of the social club seating area meant that, even though I was in effect donating money to the club, at least when we could attend a game I usually did not have to incur additional expense to do so. Something that no longer applies.

Why have the club not negotiated an increase in the size of the social club seating area at Etihad in line with the increase in social club members? I feel like the club is surreptitiously forcing social club members to upgrade to reserved seating in order to increase membership revenues.

If this situation continues as is into next season I am extremely unlikely to renew my family’s membership next year. I simply cannot justify the cost when the social club membership we have no longer provides the level of benefits it did in previous years.

I would appreciate a response to this email and preferably not a response that simply outlines the more expensive membership categories available and not a response that offers the gratuitous advise to book earlier. I would like a response that includes a justification of why the social club seating area has not been increased in size. And please don’t simply shift the blame for this to Etihad Stadium management. To do that would be to rub salt into the wound. Everything is negotiable. If the club want to retain long serving loyal members then they need to act on their behalf and not treat them as numbered revenue streams.
<end>

I got a prompt replay which more or less confirmed my feelings. Lo and behold, pre Christmas, a letter comes from the club "offering" reserved seating for Social Club members who booked seats in the Social Club seating area in 2010 throught the ticketing agency. The thinly veiled threat in this letter was if you don't take up this "offer", the Social CLub seating area will be completely allocated in season 2011 to reserved seats and the rest will either have to pay extra to sit on Level 1 or take your chances in the nosebleed sections some of which has also been allocated as reserved seating. So I have taken up this "offer" at the additonal cost of $320.00, on top of the $1000.00 or so already paid for Social Club membership. (What choice did I have?) My cynical suspicion that the club was trying to force Social Club members to take up reserved seating seems to have been not so cynical after all. Are there any other Social Club members out there who feel like me that they have been rail-roaded into taking out reserved seating?

I get your are frustrated but for the future of the club it can only be a good thing that you need to "own" a seat to get a ticket. When we first moved to Docklands we got reserved seats, on top of our usual social club membership. We went to just about every game and were 2 rows back, as children came along and we struggled to make it to the games each week we dropped our reserved seats knowing that if it was not ticketed we would get a entry where we could sit in the social club room, stand and watch or go to lvl 3 or we could book a seat and pay extra, that was our choice My father and I are both diamond social club members and there have been years when we have not gone to one game but have still payed (unusually these are the years when they have done good - go figure) the justification is that we are gurenteed a grand final ticket so we pay the price as my kids have gotten older we have again gone back to the reserve seating as it means less fiddling around.

I don't really seem to mind paying the extra, in a few years time when the team goes through a natural slump you will have no problem getting a seat at a game again. When you have 40,000 odd members plus others who are not members wanting to go to the game you are going to have to start a system whereby you have to pay or take your chances. And seriously level 3 ain't so bad how about you try your luck at the MCG

<start>

1.Pay the additional cost to sit in reserved seating on Level 1, which for my family would be over $100.00 a game
2.Pay the additional cost to sit in reserved seating on Level 3, which for my family would be over $50.00 a game
3.Pay just the booking fee to seat in the General Admission nose bleed seats on Level 3, (myself and my family loathe sitting on Level 3)

<end>

Understand your frustrations but in a 50,000 seat stadium and following a team which is involved in high drawing matches, you're leaving yourself vulnerable by not having a reserved seat. You should potentially look at being AFL St.Kilda Club Support members. Tickets in that area go on sale the first weekend of every month for that month of games, ie all games in May can be purchased at the beginning of May.

I received my old man and my membership pack today but it said we have to wait for the MCG reserved seating to be finalised before receiving the actual membership card....

I received my old man and my membership pack today but it said we have to wait for the MCG reserved seating to be finalised before receiving the actual membership card....

Got mine today-
as reserved seat holders we always have to wait till near round 1- as they rearrange any asked for or new seats reserved. add to that the MCG issue.

Remove this Banner Ad

Discussion 2011 Memberships

Remove this Banner Ad

Back