List Mgmt. 2011 National Draft

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Not bad, especially if we don't get a ruck before hand.

Lee Spurr - already discussed.

Luke Jarrad from WWT - Jarrard is a running winger/half back type with good skills and is Victorian. Age might be against him at 28 but the Crows sniffed around him last year.

Could Geelong go for a Jason Blake to help the defence...just in case?

Doubt it. If we go that way I suspect it'll be 26 yo Jarrad Dalton, full back from Port Melbourne, who we were apparently keen on last year, but told to go away and work on his fitness (I'm going off what Krisholio said). Although if Blee falls through late, the 4 years he has on Dalton probably means we'll go that way.

I just hope we take Spurr if he's still available, we'd be mad to think we'd get better value at that stage in the draft, I rate him much higher than Duigan and Puopolo and they were both very good this year.

I agree, and this is one reason why I can see Blee dropping at 32 or 34 if we are really keen and don't rate the young KPD's (not sure whether we'd be taking Curran as a fwd or back if we took him) as he's one the Hawks would surely be keen on. If you look at Blee, Boseley, Talia, Grigg, Sheridan, Kerridge, they are all players you could see Hawthorn being really interested in, so I reckon there will be some ducks and drakes going on between the two clubs.

Absolutely. If we are left with say Sheridan or Kerridge (doubt that both will be on the tablet at 32) plus a raft of similarly rated talls (i.e. Talia, McInnes, Schade and Boseley) we may well take the mid first and concede the next best KPP to the Hawks. It's not as if you are losing much at this stage if the Hawks take Talia and we are left with either McInnes or Boseley to chose from.

Cameron Shenton was mentioned as being linked with us in the Rumours thread on the D&T Board. Watching his vision you could be excused for thinking he was the lovechild of Tony Modra. Moves and kicks a hell of a lot like him - has the flowing hair to boot!!
As I understand it, he is real hit and miss.

Destroyed the Eagles in the semis where he kicked 4 (I think) in the first quarter.

In the return bout, went missing in the Prelim when they needed him.

I'd rather Spurr than Shenton if it came to that.

However I do have a real soft spot for Jarrad.

Really hope we pick up Jay Lever. Could be anything, clearly the most talented of the Falcon's key forwards this year.

As I understand it, he is real hit and miss.

Destroyed the Eagles in the semis where he kicked 4 (I think) in the first quarter.

In the return bout, went missing in the Prelim when they needed him.

I'd rather Spurr than Shenton if it came to that.

However I do have a real soft spot for Jarrad.

In the vision I have seen he takes a lot of his marks on the lead with impressive breakway speed. He wouldn't be afforded the same space in the AFL thereby really reducing his effectiveness. I'm not sold on him myself.

Apparently he said it on radio last night

Doubt it. Too many character/commitment issues.

No one would touch him main draft anyway so he'd be a rookie prospect at best.

In the vision I have seen he takes a lot of his marks on the lead with impressive breakway speed. He wouldn't be afforded the same space in the AFL thereby really reducing his effectiveness. I'm not sold on him myself.
I may be doing him a massive disservice as I have very limited views of him in action but he strikes me as a 1-trick pony.

That said, some very useful 'mature' players have come out of Norwood recently so Nathan Bassett is doing something right there.

Ah, how I have missed this.

I am a little wary of drafting suspect talls. I believe we need to get at least two senior players per draft to remain strong over time. If we go with a couple of certainties (in this draft most likely to be medium size players) then we can take the risk on talls who will be more speculative. In that sense I would be pretty happy if we happened to go with a couple of smaller players with 32 and 34 and loaded up on talls thereafter. We just seem to have a lot of misses with taller players, we need to get something out of this draft even if they don't exactly fit our immediate needs.

I distinctly remember thinking we had done well in 2007(?) when we picked up Dawson Simpson, Scott Simpson, Dan McKenna, etc, yet none have addressed our needs to date (and 2 are extremely unlikely to!), and I'm also reminded of other star draftees such as Playfair and Matt McCarthy...

You've gotta go the best footballer available every time, with a bias towards needs.

No too long to go now!

I am a little wary of drafting suspect talls. I believe we need to get at least two senior players per draft to remain strong over time. If we go with a couple of certainties (in this draft most likely to be medium size players) then we can take the risk on talls who will be more speculative. In that sense I would be pretty happy if we happened to go with a couple of smaller players with 32 and 34 and loaded up on talls thereafter. We just seem to have a lot of misses with taller players, we need to get something out of this draft even if they don't exactly fit our immediate needs.

I distinctly remember thinking we had done well in 2007(?) when we picked up Dawson Simpson, Scott Simpson, Dan McKenna, etc, yet none have addressed our needs to date (and 2 are extremely unlikely to!), and I'm also reminded of other star draftees such as Playfair and Matt McCarthy...

You've gotta go the best footballer available every time, with a bias towards needs.

No too long to go now!

*Like*

Great post, well said

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Love the discussion that's gone on in here over the past month. Our eight-most viewed thread ever - not bad considering the GWS mortgage on the first round and our draft position.

It will be closed at 6PM and the live in-draft discussion thread opened.

Listening to Cam Mooney on SEN this afternoon he said unlikely the club with draft talls, the way the game is played now dictates going midfielder heavy. Make of that what you will :)

No too long to go now!

Agree 100%.

Wells' record with inside mids is pretty much faultless so if one he likes is available, take them, work with what we already have re talls and if a hole presents itself trade for a mature kpp down the track.

A KPD is the possible exception as there are enough floating around the mark of our first and second pick that might fit the best available cliche.

Listening to Cam Mooney on SEN this afternoon he said unlikely the club with draft talls, the way the game is played now dictates going midfielder heavy. Make of that what you will :)

I'm not too sure Cam would be consulted too heavily on our draft strategy. At the end of the day we can't keep holding off drafting talls because the success rate is possibly smaller than with mids. Yes the game is becoming more midfield dominant - but there is still at least 4-5 194+ cm KPP in any one side each week.

Here is how I'd like things to go tonight.

Pick 32 - Sam Kerridge.

This is becoming more and more unlikely by the day. Bulldogs very keen at 17. But I'll be rooting for him to keep falling. Very Geelong type midfielder. I'm also growing very fond of Jordan Murdoch (not as a KPF though). Would be happy with Henry Schade too.

Pick 34 - Tom Curran.

I've been a big fan for a while. Can play both ends, especially like him back. We might have to swoop at 32 as the Hawks could be keen at 33.

Pick 48 - Myles Bolger

Looks like he could well side this far now. Despite his foot concerns, I'd be more than happy to take him here. Will be very interestingto see where he ends up.

Pick 66 - Nathan Blee

Big improver in the WAFL this year. Ready made for a crack at AFL level next year and actually has some scope for extra development.

Pick 78 - Damian Mascitti

I've really rated this guy for a while and was glad to see some others come out in the last week or so. Half forward with beautiful foot skills and pretty sticky hands. I became really impressed when he was given a crack in the guts.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back