List Mgmt. 2011 National Draft

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
We got two marking forwards in the 09 draft, Vardy and Menzel.

Hawkins, Vardy and Menzel makes a potent forward line in my opinion.

Hawkins yes, Vardy, 5mins of footy, Menzel big potential, but wouldn't hang my hat on those last two yet, you must be kidding.

Vardy's still yet a 2nds player, and the other guy you mightn't see till 2013.
Doesn't leave much apart from Hawk and Pods.
Case for another forward!

Hawkins yes, Vardy, 5mins of footy, Menzel big potential, but wouldn't hang my hat on those last two yet, you must be kidding.

Vardy's still yet a 2nds player, and the other guy you mightn't see till 2013.
Doesn't leave much apart from Hawk and Pods.
Case for another forward!

Gee meto...being pretty tough on Menzel there. He was playing tremendous football before he got injured and looked all class. Certainly would have been in the premiership side if fit. And is certainly in our top 22.

Vardy looks sensational but I agree its a little early to hang your hat on him right now....still to be proven under high pressure situations.

Another young tall wouldn't go astray. Hopeful on Mitch Brown coming on though.

l like the look of m talia 194cm key defender prob be well gawn by pick 32.

I'll be listening intently and hoping Talia or Lockyer get to our pick and we grab one of them. Otherwise I would be happy to take more good sized mids/utilities. Much easier to find good runners and with Ling gone, and Corey and Chappy not having long left they are just as pressing a need as talls.

Gee meto...being pretty tough on Menzel there. He was playing tremendous football before he got injured and looked all class. Certainly would have been in the premiership side if fit. And is certainly in our top 22.

Vardy looks sensational but I agree its a little early to hang your hat on him right now....still to be proven under high pressure situations.

Another young tall wouldn't go astray. Hopeful on Mitch Brown coming on though.

Two years from now Menzel and Vardy will be where some claim they are right now, Menzel more so than Vardy ATM, but come round 1 neither will be playing.

So all I'm saying is is there really anyone else? Maybe Brown after he proves he's holding together by round 3-4, but really we do get ahead of ourselves.
Suppose that's what success brings, an overrealised expectation of the reserves.

I wouldn't mind a small/tall like Jack Darling, maybe Jordan Murdoch or the like that could play a
running/ marking role, a flexible type. Xav Richards played HFF for Metro, very mobile and Quick.

Two years from now Menzel and Vardy will be where some claim they are right now, Menzel more so than Vardy ATM, but come round 1 neither will be playing.

So all I'm saying is is there really anyone else? Maybe Brown after he proves he's holding together by round 3-4, but really we do get ahead of ourselves.
Suppose that's what success brings, an overrealised expectation of the reserves.

I wouldn't mind a small/tall like Jack Darling, maybe Jordan Murdoch or the like that could play a
running/ marking role, a flexible type. Xav Richards played HFF for Metro, very mobile and Quick.

Just keep in mind we've proven we can take young blokes and mould them into the sorts of players we want.

If we need forward types I like Dylan Orval as i've stated earlier, and Cam Valentine from Bendigo is another one I don't mind. These are players who have some versatility, and will absolutely be available late, or even possibly as rookies.

I also think this is maybe why the word is getting around we will take Curran if he is there. He's definitely a player who can be groomed at either end.

l like the look of m talia 194cm key defender prob be well gawn by pick 32.

He's got a "Barry Round" type awkwardness in his kicking action that prevents him from consistantly hitting up targets. At 192cm with not much of a vertical spring, he's probably not going to cut it as a KPD where the emphasis on kicking skills isn't quite as high.

I think Wells is more likely to use an early selection on a tall defender that uses the ball a bit better by foot. Schade and Blee look likely types.

I've already said this, but it probably needs to be stated again. The first couple of picks will most likely be what Wellsy thinks is best available and needs will be considered from there on, based similarly to every draft Wells has been involved in. If there is something later in the draft that is too good to ignore, the needs theory could well again be put to the side as Wells has a history of taking players he likes. I really can't see a method so tried and true being changed up.

Just a few thoughts of mine I'd like to share.
- Myles Bolger's stocks seem to be sliding. Is there potentially serious concerns about his foot problems? Is he a greater risk than he appears?

- I've been extremely surprised to see Nathan Blee not featuring in a lot of the media Phantom Drafts. I'd be more than happy to draft him but perhaps in the real world he is seen more as rookie prospect?

- Tom Curran is rising as Kris said a little earlier. Cats very keen at 32 apparently. The Hawks are also keen at 33 which is extremely interesting considering they passed him up as a Father/Son. Perhaps this shows that the Gunston pick of 24 was a realistic price for Curran and instead of potentially being outbidded with their second round pick, the Hawks would rather him be available to every club than not at all.

The navicular hotspot could frighten off a couple of teams from taking Curran early so he could be available at pick 32.

At 195cm he's certainly KPF/KPD material.

Out of interest SJ. Why does it close at midday?

Out of interest SJ. Why does it close at midday?
Just because. Means no one will be rushing at 6PM or whatever to change their predictions and then complain later if they entered them a bit late. Wouldn't have thought anything will change after midday.

I think the articles in the Addy today some it up.

Firstly, Geelong want some talls. This makes sense and is what most people are saying. Best available with an emphasis on talls would be my assumption.

Secondly, the more surprising comment that they are planning for the short term as well as long term. It makes me think that Geelong will go a mature age player later in the draft with 66 or 78. Would be interesting to see who it is...Its not Nathan Ablett as Geelong have already said no to his management but its interesting as I'm not sure how many mature players would add that much to Geelong in the short term.

Will be interesting more to see who they draft with their late picks as whether they go mature or not. I sense a bit of a surprise from nowhere pick with 66 and/or 78.

I really rate curran, much better than all those KPD who all have their own respective flaws. He seems more of a forward but if he has that versatility to move back then we have more than enough to work with given his height, foot skills and marking.

If we could get Curran and/or Grigg out of this draft then im more than happy

(Log in to remove this ad.)

McKenzie is a pipedream to slide that far given his elite kicking and I'm fairly confident we won't take Bussey.

The Herald Sun Phantom draft which is 'apparently' updated regularly and built around rumour etc does not have McKenzie going top 30 !

The Addy article is here:

Geelong recruiting manager Stephen Wells said the past season under new coach Chris Scott had shown the club wanted to inject young players into an experienced line-up.

"Every player's treated differently at our club and we're certainly drafting for the short- and medium- and long-term success," Wells said.

"So we're happy to bring players in (to the senior team), provided we think they can play a role at some time in the future, whether it be short-term or longer.

"We think we've got a well-balanced list and in every year's draft we're very mindful of the future.

"We look forward to calling out the names as we see fit for our succession plans.

"When they get to the club each player will have an individual training program with the view to develop them as best we can."
Reckon Wellsy might want to go into politics if he ever gets bored of this recruiting gig ;)

Here's what I want tonight.

32-Jackson Paine 192 cm KPF Sandringham Dragons
I've been tossing up all week whether to take Kerridge at 32, which I still really want to do, but the likelihood that some good talls might fall here who I didn't think would get this far sways me, and Paine is the best of them. Good hands, good mark, mobile at ground level, unless there's attitude issues I don't know about (in which case we won't take him) he's easily a first round prospect for mine. Ideal medium to long term replacement for Pods here. I'd be happy with Curran here too if we go that way, or Lockyer if the WA sides let him get this far. I expect if this selection isn't a tall it'll be one of Kerridge Sheridan or Grigg.

34-Andrew Boseley 192 cm KPD Geelong Falcons
I agree with most that we definitely need another tall back and Boseley is who I think the club will take. I actually want to drop Schade here and am glad you all agree with my ratings of him, but I reckon it might be a bit early for him and the club may well take the local boy. Boseley has really good speed for a big guy and reads the play extremely well and is a good mark above his head, all things Wells likes in his defenders. Needs to continue to develop his disposal but at least he already is prepared to attack with dash and dare. In a pool of imperfect KPD's he's one of the best of them.

48-Josh Waldhunter 183 cm SA Mid
I'd be happy to go tall again here particularly if Bolger's on the board or we can find a good mature ruckman, and Downie might be considered on risk-reward but I'll assume the club goes a mid. Waldhunter's attack on the man and ball is manic and that workrate will rate very highly at a club like ours that values winning contested ball. His skills are actually pretty good, his main weakness would seem to be poor endurance (13 level beep) but that's something that can be improved over a few pre seasons. I'd also be happy to drop Yeo who is my first preference here, but I think he'll be gone, or Merrett for something different as a few have done.

66-Nathan Blee 192cm KPD East Perth
Best mature age defender in the pool for mine, and at 21 he's a long term prospect too. Given the issues some of the defenders have in this pool with winning 1-1's, or skills by foot, I'd be delighted to grab this late a guy who has been winning 1-1's against men all year and has good skills, plus a good ability to read the play. I think he's versatile enough to play tall or small and I could see him playing a fair bit of senior footy for us next year. Obvious pick for our needs and it wouldn't surprise me to see us take him earlier than this.

78-Lee Spurr SA 185cm HBF/Mid
Simply best available here, and I think Spurr is just about the best available player not currently on an AFL list. For those who haven't seen him play I suggest you get a copy of the Centrals finals, the GF in particular. Spurr has qualities Wells loves in his defenders, he reads the play really well, is a fantastic mark above his head, wins 1-1 contests and can hurt you with his skills on the way out. On skills, I doubt anyone could question this pick, it's only the fact that he's 24 that will likely make people disagree with me. That doesn't bother me, in fact I think with a lot of our defenders soon to retire, it will be very useful to have a more mature player who can assist Taylor Lonergan and Mackie to transition the kids into the defence. Could make an instant impact next year and greatly assist with our depth as we push for another flag. Good pick for both the short and long term. If we don't take him I reckon we might be taking a mature age ruckman here, unless we pass for the PSD.

We probably won't have all of these guys available at our picks, but I'd be stoked if we did and got them.

Anyone care to take a quick run through our 2009 draft thread and get a feel of the general consensus of what type of player we needed? i.e. we need talls !!!

Then see if people here are happy with what we got.
Because I'll bet we were talking about the forward line back then and we've done jack to fix it.

If I remember I really wanted Vardy at 17 because I thought he was the best ruckman in the pool and I thought Melbourne would take him at 18, but other than that our picks made sense, and Bundy in particular I think we all agreed on.

Actually the 09 draft made sense in light of having drafted bookends in Brown and Gillies the year before. The issue now is that the former's body might not hold up, the latter has regressed this year, meanwhile we've had some key talls retire and our bookends (Scarlo and Pods) are over 30. And we now know we have some very bankable small-med prospects in Menzel Bundy Duncan and probably Guthrie and Poodle as well. Now I'm certainly not expecting we'll take 5 talls tonight, and best available will feature, but the situation of our list has changed for us since the 09 draft, and as such I won't be surprised to see a couple of good talls in there and a focus on both the back and forward lines tonight.

Oh I agree it's an area that needs strengthening.

Why on earth have we spoken to Peterson?

I am intrigued as to how things will pan out. My gut feel tells me that most of the rated mids will be gone by 32 but if a Sheridan happens to fall we may swoop here and go tall with 34.

The time that Wells takes to make his call may be telling. It may indicate that he wants to pre-empt what the Hawks would take with 33, thereby determining which way he goes with 32. Funnily enough I reckon the Hawks have fairly similar requirements to our own (inside mids and KPD) - I can see those 3 picks 32,33 and 34 all being quite interchangeable. We may well have whoever the Hawks take at 33 high on our list. All speculation at this stage.

Here's what I want tonight.

32-Jackson Paine 192 cm KPF Sandringham Dragons
I've been tossing up all week whether to take Kerridge at 32, which I still really want to do, but the likelihood that some good talls might fall here who I didn't think would get this far sways me, and Paine is the best of them. Good hands, good mark, mobile at ground level, unless there's attitude issues I don't know about (in which case we won't take him) he's easily a first round prospect for mine. Ideal medium to long term replacement for Pods here. I'd be happy with Curran here too if we go that way, or Lockyer if the WA sides let him get this far. I expect if this selection isn't a tall it'll be one of Kerridge Sheridan or Grigg.

34-Andrew Boseley 192 cm KPD Geelong Falcons
I agree with most that we definitely need another tall back and Boseley is who I think the club will take. I actually want to drop Schade here and am glad you all agree with my ratings of him, but I reckon it might be a bit early for him and the club may well take the local boy. Boseley has really good speed for a big guy and reads the play extremely well and is a good mark above his head, all things Wells likes in his defenders. Needs to continue to develop his disposal but at least he already is prepared to attack with dash and dare. In a pool of imperfect KPD's he's one of the best of them.

48-Josh Waldhunter 183 cm SA Mid
I'd be happy to go tall again here particularly if Bolger's on the board or we can find a good mature ruckman, and Downie might be considered on risk-reward but I'll assume the club goes a mid. Waldhunter's attack on the man and ball is manic and that workrate will rate very highly at a club like ours that values winning contested ball. His skills are actually pretty good, his main weakness would seem to be poor endurance (13 level beep) but that's something that can be improved over a few pre seasons. I'd also be happy to drop Yeo who is my first preference here, but I think he'll be gone, or Merrett for something different as a few have done.

66-Nathan Blee 192cm KPD East Perth
Best mature age defender in the pool for mine, and at 21 he's a long term prospect too. Given the issues some of the defenders have in this pool with winning 1-1's, or skills by foot, I'd be delighted to grab this late a guy who has been winning 1-1's against men all year and has good skills, plus a good ability to read the play. I think he's versatile enough to play tall or small and I could see him playing a fair bit of senior footy for us next year. Obvious pick for our needs and it wouldn't surprise me to see us take him earlier than this.

78-Lee Spurr SA 185cm HBF/Mid
Simply best available here, and I think Spurr is just about the best available player not currently on an AFL list. For those who haven't seen him play I suggest you get a copy of the Centrals finals, the GF in particular. Spurr has qualities Wells loves in his defenders, he reads the play really well, is a fantastic mark above his head, wins 1-1 contests and can hurt you with his skills on the way out. On skills, I doubt anyone could question this pick, it's only the fact that he's 24 that will likely make people disagree with me. That doesn't bother me, in fact I think with a lot of our defenders soon to retire, it will be very useful to have a more mature player who can assist Taylor Lonergan and Mackie to transition the kids into the defence. Could make an instant impact next year and greatly assist with our depth as we push for another flag. Good pick for both the short and long term. If we don't take him I reckon we might be taking a mature age ruckman here, unless we pass for the PSD.

We probably won't have all of these guys available at our picks, but I'd be stoked if we did and got them.

I’ve based my picks on best available and I believe all are a realistic chance of reaching their respective picks with only Schade the possible exception (can see him going in Top 25). I can also see us taking Fraser McInnes with Pick #34 or #48.

32 - Mitch Grigg
H: 182cm, W: 82kg, From Norwood, SA

I think we would have to be absolutely mad to let Mitch slip past our first pick, should he make it to us. Both the AFL’s Phantom Draft, Herald Sun and Emma Quayle don’t have him going top 30 at this stage. Would be a dead-set steal at pick #32. Man-crush and automatic favourite draftee should we get him.

34 – Henry Schade
H: 196cm, W: 81kg, From North Hobart, TAS

Stocks have risen recently; Emma Quayle has him going to GC at pick #24. I think he would be best-available at this pick but also fill a hole for us as a KPD. Only question mark is whether he will slide this far.

48 - Brody Mihocek
H: 191cm, W: 86kg, From Burnie Dockers, TAS

Recent Phantom Drafts have this bloke going very late but I personally can’t see why. Dominated the U18 champs for TAS at centre-half back and earned All Australian honours. Very good KPD and again fills a role.

66 - Josh Waldhuter
H: 183cm, W: 84kg, From Central Districts, SA

Not a big accumulator but is a huge physical presence. Influences games with his tackling, smothering and all his 1%ers. Lifts his teammates and played a big role for the crow-eaters in this year’s champs. Absolutely love the way he goes about it. Will slide and is likely to reach our pick #66.

78 - Mature-age Player
Anyone’s guess who it might be but late whispers are that the Cats are looking at a mature-age pick.

86 – Jed Bews
H: 182cm, W: 78kg, From Geelong Falcons, VIC

Father-son pick. Self-explanatory. Looking forward to seeing him run around.

I'm taking a stab that we will get 22yo Daniel Currie (Ex Sydney Swan Ruckman)
Not bad, especially if we don't get a ruck before hand.

Lee Spurr - already discussed.

Luke Jarrad from WWT - Jarrard is a running winger/half back type with good skills and is Victorian. Age might be against him at 28 but the Crows sniffed around him last year.

Could Geelong go for a Jason Blake to help the defence...just in case?

I'm taking a stab that we will get 22yo Daniel Currie (Ex Sydney Swan Ruckman)

I agree, we need a mature age player who can give us ruck cover and he's probably the best recycled option. Only really had 4 years with them (as he stayed in Melbourne his first year) and never got a chance at senior footy. I still think he would go rookie to us as he's largely ruck cover, but if the club thinks he has other potential suitors (for example he'd be a good fit for Collingwood) then he might go late tonight.

I’ve based my picks on best available and I believe all are a realistic chance of reaching their respective picks with only Schade the possible exception (can see him going in Top 25). I can also see us taking Fraser McInnes with Pick #34 or #48.

32 - Mitch Grigg
H: 182cm, W: 82kg, From Norwood, SA

I think we would have to be absolutely mad to let Mitch slip past our first pick, should he make it to us. Both the AFL’s Phantom Draft, Herald Sun and Emma Quayle don’t have him going top 30 at this stage. Would be a dead-set steal at pick #32. Man-crush and automatic favourite draftee should we get him.

34 – Henry Schade
H: 196cm, W: 81kg, From North Hobart, TAS

Stocks have risen recently; Emma Quayle has him going to GC at pick #24. I think he would be best-available at this pick but also fill a hole for us as a KPD. Only question mark is whether he will slide this far.

48 - Brody Mihocek
H: 191cm, W: 86kg, From Burnie Dockers, TAS

Recent Phantom Drafts have this bloke going very late but I personally can’t see why. Dominated the U18 champs for TAS at centre-half back and earned All Australian honours. Very good KPD and again fills a role.

66 - Josh Waldhuter
H: 183cm, W: 84kg, From Central Districts, SA

Not a big accumulator but is a huge physical presence. Influences games with his tackling, smothering and all his 1%ers. Lifts his teammates and played a big role for the crow-eaters in this year’s champs. Absolutely love the way he goes about it. Will slide and is likely to reach our pick #66.

78 - Mature-age Player
Anyone’s guess who it might be but late whispers are that the Cats are looking at a mature-age pick.

86 – Jed Bews
H: 182cm, W: 78kg, From Geelong Falcons, VIC

Father-son pick. Self-explanatory. Looking forward to seeing him run around.

Apparently Mihocek ran 3.38 or something similarly horrible for the sprint, and his time trial was poor, which is why people have him dropping. Good player though.

I agree on a mature age player.

I am intrigued as to how things will pan out. My gut feel tells me that most of the rated mids will be gone by 32 but if a Sheridan happens to fall we may swoop here and go tall with 34.

The time that Wells takes to make his call may be telling. It may indicate that he wants to pre-empt what the Hawks would take with 33, thereby determining which way he goes with 32. Funnily enough I reckon the Hawks have fairly similar requirements to our own (inside mids and KPD) - I can see those 3 picks 32,33 and 34 all being quite interchangeable. We may well have whoever the Hawks take at 33 high on our list. All speculation at this stage.

I agree, and this is one reason why I can see Blee dropping at 32 or 34 if we are really keen and don't rate the young KPD's (not sure whether we'd be taking Curran as a fwd or back if we took him) as he's one the Hawks would surely be keen on. If you look at Blee, Boseley, Talia, Grigg, Sheridan, Kerridge, they are all players you could see Hawthorn being really interested in, so I reckon there will be some ducks and drakes going on between the two clubs.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back