2011 Official Draft Discussion Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

I quite like the idea.. Saw a few VFL games from him and he is a tough uncompromising inside midfielder who also had some success both up forward and briefly down back.

Strong overhead, Cachia can play on a flank and use his strong decision making to make an impact on the game where he wAs often a standout at the lower level..

His kicking has been a work in progress where his decision making has helped make him a better disposer of the ball.

This help Eth?

Not sure if it was mentioned elsewhere, but Jarryd Cachia will train with Essendon.
Yea, mentioned it before.
Unit Midfielder, with a stong tackle, but kicking lets him down.
Found it hard to come into the side with Carlton already having such a strong midfield.

What do some of the more 'expert' posters feel about getting Lachlan Edwards with our pick 59 (I say 59, because I don't think he'll last until the rookie draft) now that Longy has been delisted? I've seen this kid play and he has all the tools and football smarts, just needs to work harder defensively, but could be a great HFF/Wing option. Has great disposal both sides of the body and knows how to kick a goal. Thoughts?

What do some of the more 'expert' posters feel about getting Lachlan Edwards with our pick 59 (I say 59, because I don't think he'll last until the rookie draft) now that Longy has been delisted? I've seen this kid play and he has all the tools and football smarts, just needs to work harder defensively, but could be a great HFF/Wing option. Has great disposal both sides of the body and knows how to kick a goal. Thoughts?

looks good, plays a little like crameri wouldnt be dissapointed to pick him there but he could still be available in the rookie draft.

My xmas list for pick 19 would be one of Kavanagh, Adams, McKenzie, or Devon Smith.

For 31 Seb Ross, Murray Newman, Jackson Paine, hayden crozier.

59 - Marley Williams, Elliot Yeo, Ben Brown or Jackson Merrett.

Daniel Joseph, John Mckenzie, lachlan edwards to be looked at as rookies

RE - You are always welcome on our boards.

Isn't Bolger rated the second best ruck behind Longer in the ND.

Mock drafts have him going in the first round.

I would be surprised if EFC pick him at 19 - Think that we have more pressing needs - And the board will go into meltdown.

Is there a chance that he will slip to 31 ?

Yes i think he's a chance for pick 31.

I think he will slide to second round, a bit like Lycett did for us last year.

Thoughts on Tommy Sheridan for those that have seen him play a fair bit?

Was impressive @ the Combine, would like to hear how his season panned out in the TAC Cup from others.

Made the team of the season, but, overall what were/are his strengths/weaknesses and similarities to current AFL players?

I've watched him @ the Champs and school footy. Is a decent player, good link up player that can run all day from what I gather (limited vision), but surely there must be more to him...

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Cachia for mine is in the same bucket as Valenti or Shane Tuck: and where I disagree with HFF's thoughts on our needs.

He himself won't be terrible, but having 5 average midfielders fight for bench/backup spots behind the ~10 midfielders we've already got doesn't really get us anywhere.
Too many holes elsewhere to worry about *that* much depth.

EDIT: You think about it, we have young guns in Zaha & Melksham, Heppell & Browne; on top of the established Howlett/Stanton/Watson/Hocking/Lonergan; with NLM & Prismall in reserve.

IMHO getting more than one or two of Tuck/Cachia/Valenti is going to mean either more depth or slight upgrades on the latter group, for the trade-off of less opportunity for the former group. That gets a no from me.

Cachia for mine is in the same bucket as Valenti or Shane Tuck: and where I disagree with HFF's thoughts on our needs.

He himself won't be terrible, but having 5 average midfielders fight for bench/backup spots behind the ~10 midfielders we've already got doesn't really get us anywhere.
Too many holes elsewhere to worry about *that* much depth.

EDIT: You think about it, we have young guns in Zaha & Melksham, Heppell & Browne; on top of the established Howlett/Stanton/Watson/Hocking/Lonergan; with NLM & Prismall in reserve.

IMHO getting more than one or two of Tuck/Cachia/Valenti is going to mean either more depth or slight upgrades on the latter group, for the trade-off of less opportunity for the former group. That gets a no from me.

We disagree, that's fine..

With 6 rookie spots to fill, it looks increasingly likely that we will get a mature aged rookie..

Would you prefer a 21 y.o Cachia who has been in the system 3 years or a say 22 y.o Myles Sewell who has never been in the system?

I agree we have alot of the one type of player, I think we are just looking to upgrade on these types (Lonergan, Prismall, NLM).

Probably Cachia of those two (or Valenti/Tuck).

Of the 9 (?) picks all up: I would go at least 2 mids; at least 1 crumber; and at least one KPF, KPD and ruck. And Long will be back.
That only leaves a few to play with.

Probably Cachia of those two (or Valenti/Tuck).

Of the 9 (?) picks all up: I would go at least 2 mids; at least 1 crumber; and at least one KPF, KPD and ruck. And Long will be back.
That only leaves a few to play with.

I like that. Good mix, maybe swap the KPD with a small (lock down) defender but looks about right.

The Hamilton comments were interesting ("we wish him in his future endeavors"), suggesting he might not be taken back, I it smoke screens like you suggested? Only time will tell.

So we do have young Daniel Garside training with us as mentioned on the VAFA website:

Would be awesome to see him push out a Henry Slattery from the side..

Good luck Daniel :thumbsu:

Be interesting to see if there's more VAFA players coming through after Dan Nicholson for Melbourne this year.

I doubt he'll be pushing Slattery from the side though - you have to be in it to be pushed out.

EDIT: Technically James McDonald as well lol....

Be interesting to see if there's more VAFA players coming through after Dan Nicholson for Melbourne this year.

I doubt he'll be pushing Slattery from the side though - you have to be in it to be pushed out.

That article makes mention 4 VAFA players training with AFL clubs.

You are right, be interesting to see if he makes it.

That article makes mention 4 VAFA players training with AFL clubs.

You are right, be interesting to see if he makes it.

Don't forget that it's a long way from training with a club to actually being picked up.

Remember Ryan Brabazon last year? :eek:

And Trent Shinners, Ben Duscher..

Brabazon vanished from the face of the earth though. Those two at least stuck around at Bendigo.

Just quietly, I reckon we'll rocked Duscher this year.

Can I change my pick 19 to Elliot Kavanagh?

Looks like a ripper and sounds like a ripper kid too (despite some people saying he has attitude issues which aren't true).

Pick 19: Elliot Kavanagh
Pick 31: Sam Kerridge
Pick 57: Elliot Yeo
Pick 70: stu Crameri upgrade

Word is his Dad is very keen to get him to you guys.

Some very interesting posts made by people on our board (Bullying Tactics thread) regarding Kavanagh.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back