2011 Official Draft Discussion Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
As well as Richmond and GCS 5 times!!!!
Exactly.
It'd be flat out idiotic for Brisbane (this year) to say 'we will get Wingard/Coniglio with pick 8'.
Very, very unlikely one of the best 2-3 kids drops that far.

Really I don't know why people take everything said as black and white. A lot of posturing & head-fakes pre-draft, very few work but worth a shot.

Whether it's the kids who get a lot of talk or a Steinberg/Ross from left field, very confident Keane/Hird/Dodoro will come out with a good mix & some quality talents.

David Aisle, and Tom Beachcomber.
IuBlP.gif

I got a sneaky best 22 into the Gumby thread and though about depth in positions at the same time. I've come to the conclusion that our KPP depth is a myth. Yes we've gone early for talls more then most clubs but we don't have a lot of them. We really only have 7 KPPs, including Crameri in that, or 8 if you count Ryder but obviously his best position is the ruck. Steinberg and Davis are still very skinny and raw and I actually doubt that the latter will get a third year on the senior list.

If everyone is fit then I'd say that there will be 5 or 6 mids and small forwards considering themselves unlucky to miss out. A lot of them would be "grunt" style mids too. For this reason I think we can afford to go tall at 19, in fact probably need to. I would prefer someone who is better forward then back. As well as hopefully pick up a state level tall forward in the rookie draft who could come in and play a role up forward if we get hit by injuries. In fact this guy is just as important as the tall kid we pick up.

The only way I think we can go mid first is if someone really good drops. Kavanagh is pretty much exactly what we need and I'd be prepared to risk his hammy. He won the clean hands test, is quick, plays inside and ran a very good 3km, or
In his own words: I'm an outside or inside midfielder that has good leg speed and can dispose of the ball well.

Then I'd hope that Manson is available at 31. That double would be a dream for me.

If Kavanagh isn't available at 19 then I'd go best tall foward pretty safe in the knowledge that one of Kerrige, Ross or a similar skilled player will be available at 31.

Also I really hope we delist one more, my choice would be Dyson, and try for the best quick small forward left at that stage.

I hope we rookie 2 KPP (1 mature and one hail Mary), 1 ruck, 1 running mid, 1 big bodied mid and 1 small forward.

I got a sneaky best 22 into the Gumby thread and though about depth in positions at the same time. I've come to the conclusion that our KPP depth is a myth. Yes we've gone early for talls more then most clubs but we don't have a lot of them. We really only have 7 KPPs, including Crameri in that, or 8 if you count Ryder but obviously his best position is the ruck. Steinberg and Davis are still very skinny and raw and I actually doubt that the latter will get a third year on the senior list.
You mean like I've been banging on about since the day we delisted Neagle/Slattery?
There's two types of people in this world: people who agree with me and those who are wrong.
You've joined the first category! :thumbsu:

...I hope we rookie 2 KPP (1 mature and one hail Mary), 1 ruck, 1 running mid, 1 big bodied mid and 1 small forward.
I'm not sure about spending pick 19 on a tall. Unless it's someone we really do rate far & above over the mids available (ie, a Pears situation)
All else being equal; we still do need midfield class into the 22 sooner rather than later; whereas the tall spots are all (touch wood) as reserve/depth development.

The last two years; more talls have gone out (Still, Slattery, Neagle, Daniher, Laycock) than have come in ... yet (Steinberg, Davis, [strike]Jenkins[/strike]...).
I would be bringing in a tall back and forward; and a ruck. Probably later rather than sooner, unless there's really some kid we really rate.

There is another list lodgment after draft night right? So it's possible the club has told 1 or two players to keep training but if there is still a kid in the draft that they fancy at #59 or whatever pick then they will select them. Then the player(s) delisted will try to be rookied?

There is another list lodgment after draft night right? So it's possible the club has told 1 or two players to keep training but if there is still a kid in the draft that they fancy at #59 or whatever pick then they will select them. Then the player(s) delisted will try to be rookied?
I don't think you can delist guys mid-draft, no.

You might have been bangin on about it Slattery but I was just the opposite. It only dawned on me yesterday. If a highly touted mid slides then I'd grab him at 19, and like I said Kavanagh sounds perfect for us, and go tall at 31 other wise I'd go tall at 19 and mid at 31.

I really think a game breaking forward like Manson is just what we need too. I also think he'd do better at Essendon then most clubs if Hurley and Gumby, plus the occasional resting ruck, were taking other tall defenders. This would also lead to a very good chance that Crameri would be able to monster his opponent. Add Winderlich as a 2nd option lead up target and defensive forward plus a zippy goal sneak in the Betts/Milne/Garlett mould, even Davey as a tackling machine then we'd have a very dangerous forward line.

The reason we don't need another tall back is that we have cover with Carlisle for that plus the fact that we could re jig things and send either Hurley or Ryder back there if the injury curse strikes again. Of course this would require someone to come in and play forward.

Still dreaming of a haul of Kavanagh, Manson, Turner plus some rookie gems!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I really hope we rookie list Oliver Tweeddale and Nick Ryan.
Both talls who play at either end of the ground.
Oliver Would be great for our defence, and Nick could even rotate in the ruck.

Link to profiles.
Oliver Tweeddale
http://www.essendonfc.com.au/jha/jha_players.asp?id=3

Nick Ryan
http://www.essendonfc.com.au/jha/jha_players.asp?id=1

It is even better as they are NSW Scholarship players they can be included 'outside' our normal rookie list (I am pretty sure) so could certainly help us with list management.

I have looked a bit deeper and I would love for this to happen with (all of) our draft picks (ND & RD).

ND1: Seb Ross/Brandon Ellis
ND2: Sam Kerridge/Marley Williams
ND3: Elliot Yeo

RD1: Matthew Jacquier
RD2: Damian Volta
RD3: Nick Maric/Anthony Anastasio/Darren Minchington
RD4: Tom Campell/Brady Dawe
RD5: Danny Butcher/Ben Duscher
RD6: Willie Wheeler/Sam Dwyer

He guys sorry to intrude on your board.

But thought you would like to know your recruiting team is showing a lot of interest in Myles Bolger, they where in perth yesterday to speak to him.

Myles seems to think he is a strong chance to be picked up by essendon.

With you all the way on Elliot Yeo HFF. He stands up in tackles well, has excellent break away pace, and can use the footy. Surprised he hasn't received more press considering his combine results too. In my opinion he will be gone in the 30's, but would be an absolute steal at 59.

Don't mind the look of a marley williams with pick 59 or maybe a murray newman at pick 31. Grigg sliding to 31 would be a bonus too, but I can see us taking a big guy with pick 31. I think Jackson Paine will be there abouts

RE - You are always welcome on our boards.

Isn't Bolger rated the second best ruck behind Longer in the ND.

Mock drafts have him going in the first round.

I would be surprised if EFC pick him at 19 - Think that we have more pressing needs - And the board will go into meltdown.

Is there a chance that he will slip to 31 ?

The board would deservedly going into meltdown if we picked a ruckman with pick 19. We have Daniher coming next year, and there is likely to be good smaller players in Ellis, Markworth and Kavanagh picked around that mark. Pick 31- no problems.

I like the look of Downie - saw him in the school footy GF and he has lots of natural ability.

Don't mind the look of a marley williams with pick 59 or maybe a murray newman at pick 31. Grigg sliding to 31 would be a bonus too, but I can see us taking a big guy with pick 31. I think Jackson Paine will be there abouts

Jackson Paine would be an absolute steal at 31. Rate him very highly. Just a smart, strong, versatile footballer, and an excellent kpp size.

With Hirdy speaking of another ruckman, is there any chance or love for Setanta O'Hailpin being drafted as a mature age rookie to fill the role of the 4th Ruck/forward. At his age he might be a bargain to fill the time needed until Joe Daniher is physically mature enough to have an impact. I don't think big fist pumper is as bad as everyone carries on.

He guys sorry to intrude on your board.

But thought you would like to know your recruiting team is showing a lot of interest in Myles Bolger, they where in perth yesterday to speak to him.

Myles seems to think he is a strong chance to be picked up by essendon.

Thanks for the heads up.
Can you tell us more about him? Or can anyone?

Bolger's the highly rated ruckman. From what I hear more Bellchambers, classic tap but not much else, type. I'd be very surprised if we got him.
With Hirdy speaking of another ruckman, is there any chance or love for Setanta O'Hailpin being drafted as a mature age rookie to fill the role of the 4th Ruck/forward. At his age he might be a bargain to fill the time needed until Joe Daniher is physically mature enough to have an impact. I don't think big fist pumper is as bad as everyone carries on.
Wouldn't actually be massively against a pick like him.

We need some 'break in case of emergency' depth, any sort of experience would be good, and his flexibility (fwd, back or sorta ruck) would be a bonus.
If we got someone *like* Setantrum, we could probably get away with only taking 2 talls instead of 3 and take an extra small.

Bolger's the highly rated ruckman. From what I hear more Bellchambers, classic tap but not much else, type. I'd be very surprised if we got him.

Wouldn't actually be massively against a pick like him.

We need some 'break in case of emergency' depth, any sort of experience would be good, and his flexibility (fwd, back or sorta ruck) would be a bonus.
If we got someone *like* Setantrum, we could probably get away with only taking 2 talls instead of 3 and take an extra small.

Wow I've agreed with you 3 times in 2 days. I think I need a shower. I don't think we need 4 rucks on the main list. 3 decent, or better, rucks is enough. The 4th is in case more then one ruck goes down. O'Hailpin on the rookie list would be ideal and would hopefully cover that role until Daniher matures. He also fits into our game plan being able to go forward.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back