2011 Official Draft Discussion Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
When you say 'workmanlike' do you mean 'slow as a pregnant cow'? Because every time I see Wampard play he's either running around like he's got three legs or else he goes missing when games are on the line. Pass. :thumbsdown:
Was that early or later in the season? Developed OP throughout the year did Frank, so if it was later on, that may have contributed a little. But you're right, certainly never has been quick. But you can't have it all when you're looking at pick 59 though can you.

I have Sumner going Brisbane or GWS, same with Adams.

Yeah well now ive probably changed again Adams invited to draft camp, apparently taken upto GWS for a visit and than the first player we hear about attending the draft means he is probably a top 9 pick now.

I think Brisbane prefer Greene over Sumner and Adams. Surely GWS have locked in that top 5 and than would have to pick Longer and Tomlinson as talls otherwise Brisbane could/should take one of them and mean they end up with just 2 talls really from the draft the other being Patton. Also with Emma Q saying would Adams look better in maroon (Brisbane) or the colour GWS are, so that leads to picks 7-9.

Im almost certain Greene goes at 8, than GWS have 5 more picks and seem real keen on Crozier, Haynes and i think they just need to pick Tomlinson or Lonegr after Greene before brisbanes second pick. Devon Smith sounds like he is in the top 14 locked away from Phelan, Emma Q and J.Clark. I guess Richmond more likely have a Docherty or Markworth available with Kav at 15. I hope they take Markworth because fair chance the dogs or Roos will take Docherty at 17 or 18.

I just really want Kavanagh and am tyring to find some way to get him to our pick, he would probably be the favourite at the betting agencies for our pick right now with Markworth next.

I think we could get something really nice at 31 like a real good player. The more it plays out people are saying Freo will look at Bootsma at 16 or 20, which makes me think he wont get past 29 and i heard today the eagles did a medical on Hill today, which means they are keen on him, maybe as a backup to someone they think may go before a pick now for them. So something good could fall otherwise we are primed to get the next level of midfielders in Merrett, Sheridan, C.Smith, Kerridge, Grigg or Ross who im all happy with. Even think something nice could be available at 59 now.

i can only assume they've got like 20 videos ready re the first pick

You did have one for Shaun "The Next Judd" Atley ready last year.

(I suspect most cif not all clubs do similar)

(I suspect most cif not all clubs do similar)

of course they do. I found the "furore" over the Atley video hilarious. Clubs have a limited idea of who will be available. If they aren't doing 3-4 video's to get up on their website the minute the picks made and the supporters are frothing for information, then the club aren't doing their job properly.

The mistake we made was naming it /ShaunAtley (or whatever it was).

Some sad-sack trawling through typing names in found it. Give it a random string for a name (I suggest "/JoelReynoldsCareerHighlights" or "2006_year_in_review") and get the links ready, quietly remove it the next Monday, nobody ever knows.

Was that early or later in the season? Developed OP throughout the year did Frank, so if it was later on, that may have contributed a little. But you're right, certainly never has been quick. But you can't have it all when you're looking at pick 59 though can you.

Exactly right Towno, Wampard at pick 59 would be a steal. Silky skills, smooth moving machine.

Has had his fair share of injury problems, however at 59 I would be willing to take the risk without a doubt. :thumbsu:

This kids name isn't really frank wampard is it ?

Yes indeed. Wampard's a relative unknown, so it's a near cert that we can jag him with pick 59. Strange fact: if you do a Google search on Wampard all you get is results for Frank Lampard, which makes it nigh on impossible to find anything on him.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Whatever happens, I just hope Richmond and North both pick spuds like they usually do...

Whatever happens, I just hope Richmond and North both pick spuds like they usually do...

The type of players in this draft that Richmond usually pick once they dont have a top 3 pick will be players like Markworth (I dont know who he reminds me of from richmond, but i dont rate) or Docherty (the next Shane Edwards) from this draft.

The type of players in this draft that Richmond usually pick once they dont have a top 3 pick will be players like Markworth (I dont know who he reminds me of from richmond, but i dont rate) or Docherty (the next Shane Edwards) from this draft.

I actually don't mind the look of Docherty and wouldn't be too upset if we got him, but whether they take Docherty, Ellis, Markworth, Kavanagh or Adams they will turn out to be a spud because Richmonds player development sucks.. Also, even when they've got a top 6 pick they'd just take another Conca.. ;)

I actually don't mind the look of Docherty and wouldn't be too upset if we got him, but whether they take Docherty, Ellis, Markworth, Kavanagh or Adams they will turn out to be a spud because Richmonds player development sucks.. Also, even when they've got a top 6 pick they'd just take another Conca.. ;)

Im not a Docherty fan, but quite a few on here would know that by now

I actually dont mind Conca, he wasnt worth pick 6 and the tigers should have taken him there but hes still going to be a good solid player to pretty good. Had a good debut year, so not sure why you use him at the wonky pick.

I was expecting Tambling.

Anyway i would really like Essendon to take Newman if hes available at 31 (Eagles linked with him ,but strongly linked with picking a key back and also like Murdoch and the recent medical on Hill tells me he may get through).

Indigenous talent, doesnt shirk contest, gets inside and outside footy. Can play forward or wing is ideally what we want a good outside user. Lovely left foot, dont mind my left footers every team needs them, has pace to burn and consistent (Avg 20 posses in his 4 champ games, would have been AA had WA done better and probably should have been anyway). Not to be racist but finding an aboriginal talent who doesnt shirk contest, likes the hard pill and is consistent is hard to find in just one player.

Played league all year, fair recognition considering he had an interrupted preseason, and weighs 65kg. The only colts game he played he was too good kicking 6, having 28 posses and 7 marks. So clearly knows how to find the footy. Also avg 15 posses, 4.5 marks, 1 goal (including 3 in one game) for a WAFL side that had plenty of youngsters in it and struggled at the time (doesn't make it easy) for a kid that weight less than my broomstick in the backyard.

I know there is a thing against lightweight kids, but he could have an impact in his first year and may even be able to push someone like Davey out of the team as a small forward (should start his career there).

Essendons ideal/realistic draft is probably Kav and Newman for me. I want those two. Risky, but massive returns. The reason i say risky because Kav could struggle with injuries and Newman could be only a small forward who doesnt cut it like a Sampi or something.

I actually dont mind Conca, he wasnt worth pick 6 and the tigers should have taken him there but hes still going to be a good solid player to pretty good. Had a good debut year, so not sure why you use him at the wonky pick.

I was expecting Tambling.

Yeah the Tambling one has been done to death, I only used Conca because two picks later we got the NAB Rising Star in Heppell. I too think Conca will be a good solid player, just think Heppell will be an out and out star.

Essendons ideal/realistic draft is probably Kav and Newman for me. I want those two. Risky, but massive returns. The reason i say risky because Kav could struggle with injuries and Newman could be only a small forward who doesnt cut it like a Sampi or something.

I have to take your word about Newman as I havent seen anything about him, but from what you say he sounds like a good pickup, would probably rather take him (or someone like him) at #59. I think there will still be a solid Mid (slider) for 31.

Seems like there's a decent chance of both Mason and Turner been available at 59 - we have to grab one of them. As much as I like the look of Manson, Turner suits our needs.

So the hun, age and afl experts all have us taking
Kav at 19. They must know something...
For essendon: Kav, Ross and Bolger, I'd take that and hope turner lasts to us in the rookie draft.
Can't see Gws not taking one ruck in the draft though.

No zone selections for GWS?? What they playing at now?
Turner or Egger at #59 please.. A bit of excitement!

Yep I'm still really hoping for the Kavanagh, Manson and Turner triple threat come tomorrow. It will set up our list I believe.

We have plenty of running defender/midfielders, KPDs and vanilla type mids. What is needed is another KPF with very different skill set to Hurley a small and quick forward with heaps of x-factor and most importantly a mid who can play inside with clean hands but also has the pace to run through and away from traffic.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back