2011 Potential Draftee and Trade Watch

Remove this Banner Ad

Re: Potential Draftee & Trade Watch - 2011

Was thinking yesterday about how important our previous two post-premiership drafts have been in prolonging our success. Taken in isolation 07 was a very mixed bag, but in the overall context of our premiership ambitions it was an outstanding success. Conversely 09 looks a much better haul overall and while individual players haven't had quite the same impact as Harry Taylor has, the overall contribution of Christensen, Menzel and Duncan to the season was huge.

Just shows that every draft is important. The Future Stars first rounder had us taking Ellis (who I didn't mind) but also had players like Mitch Grigg and Sam Dochetry within reach; and it looks like there is a bit more key position depth this year than was apparent at the champs. If we ended up with Docherty, Boseley and Bews I would be stoked.

Was thinking yesterday about how important our previous two post-premiership drafts have been in prolonging our success. Taken in isolation 07 was a very mixed bag, but in the overall context of our premiership ambitions it was an outstanding success. Conversely 09 looks a much better haul overall and while individual players haven't had quite the same impact as Harry Taylor has, the overall contribution of Christensen, Menzel and Duncan to the season was huge.

Just shows that every draft is important. The Future Stars first rounder had us taking Ellis (who I didn't mind) but also had players like Mitch Grigg and Sam Dochetry within reach; and it looks like there is a bit more key position depth this year than was apparent at the champs. If we ended up with Docherty, Boseley and Bews I would be stoked.

That 09 draft haul looks at this stage remarkably like it could be the best crop of talent taken by any team that year. I'm not sure though that we can expect anything like that this year with a compromised draft in a much less talented year.

If we can get a couple of KP players like Boseley then I would be happy. I see next year as being a more crucial draft. If we can make our 2009 and 2012 drafts like our '99 and '01 drafts then there is no reason why we can't be a very competitive team for the next decade.

Don't know if anyone has seen Sam Gordon play, but I believe he didn't play all year with the Falcons had School Rep duties etc, but still cracked it for Aust carnival Vic Country team.
At 197cm he's keyposition size and he's not to skinny as some are, got to be a late draft pick prospect or rookie at least, the kid's obviously got talent.

Another big type that might fly under the radar is Julien Dubosz from Tassie, wouldn't be dissappointed to get him. Very mobile tall, probably my favorite out of these two.

I do really rate Gordon and I think he'll go albeit the lack of a combine invite means he may well go late, he'll probably be around for our 3rd or 4th rounder say.

Dobosz very much not under the radar, rated, just a question of who goes first on him, I reckon he could go as high as 20's if some clubs pick on a needs basis.

Really agree with that, 09 is going to be the cornerstone of our future and 08 could contribute too if Taylor Hunt gets a regular spot and Motlop/Brown's bodies hold together. Even a draft where we have later picks like this one is crucial in the context of the future list build.

I have noticed the talk about Grigg sliding, does surprise me, yes legspeed is a problem and he needs to improve defensively but he'll smash the kicking test I have no doubt and footskills are so valued by recruiters now, if he was in the range of our first I'd be stoked. Same with Docherty, really we need talls in, but given the age of that defensive group, if we can even get a running defender in with our first pick we're doing a good thing for our list. I'd utterly love Taylor Adams but while I don't think he'll go 6 (future stars were reaching a bit with that one) he'll go before 26.

You still thinking 3 live picks jester, or you think there's a chance we take more?

snip

By the way, now that we've won the flag my counting says we will have picks 26, 48, 66, 84, 102 and 120 (obviously we won't use all of those) in the national draft this year.

Forgive my ignorance, but if the word around here is right and we pick Bews with a third rounder, which pick would that be? 48 or 66?

Those picks are pretty average, but looking at our last (absurdly good) post-flag draft, I don't think there's too much cause for concern. Stephen Wells: :thumbsu:

I think we did deceptively well last year in addition to 09 based off reserve performances. I'd expect 3 or 4 of them to play senior football next season.

It would have been nice to use the compo pick this year and get some quality young players in the squad to cushion the retirement blow before it really hits us. Unfortunately a weak draft & compromised draft makes that not possible.

Hopefully we can get at least one good player out of thuis years draft but it's next year that's important. We'll likely activate our Ablett pick and be using 6 or 7 picks in the 2012 draft. It's that draft tmore than any that I think will really shape our future.

There must be a ton of balls in the air for the cats.

Although they would have started on a plan 2 years ago which would have gone into overdrive when Scott arrived.

Question, can we roll all of the rookies again?
If so I reckon that's what they'll do.

Let them have another year in the Geelong system and make a decision next year.

I also think there is some chance they'll let the gazza pick slide to 2013
It's going to be a crap pick in 2012. There are a bunch of other compo picks that will be used before ours.

Having said that our second pick could end up in the 40's if we dont play it.

I reckon we might trade this year to get picks 48, 66 higher.
I reckon you could give Byrnes and pick 66 for pick 38 or so. He is surplus to our needs.

So go in with 4 live picks and see if we get lucky in 2011
All of the class of 09,10, and rookies get another year. + an influx of 4 from 2011.

The list could get freshened very quickly.

As much as I don't want the tradition of PDW to die, probably makes more sense to start a new one and repost the content of this one, which has gotten a bit tricky to navigate.

Ok, here's an idea.

thejester, would you like to start a 'preview - 2011 National Draft thread' on the main board? Maybe state our picks, what you (plural) think Geelong will be looking for and some of the talent you have got your eye on?

Would be a great way to get the ball rolling!

Forgive my ignorance, but if the word around here is right and we pick Bews with a third rounder, which pick would that be? 48 or 66?

66 would be our natural R3

I have been thinking on Wells. I seem to remember 06 being forecast as a super draft at least 2 years out ( a bit like 2012) yet rather than do the min and go hard in 06 he took 5 picks in 05 and 4 in 06.

Wells go his own way , drafts rated good or bad by someone else means little , its his judgement that counts and while other may look for more immediate , obvious talent he does tend to look at what a player can become not always what he is now.

In other words , even thou convention says min picks this year , nothing would surprise me. The deal to get more picks and the draft he did in 09 is now looking like a masterpiece. Who to say he sees what others don't or can't . I suppose the trade period will tell the story in the next couple of weeks.

Ok, here's an idea.

thejester, would you like to start a 'preview - 2011 National Draft thread' on the main board? Maybe state our picks, what you (plural) think Geelong will be looking for and some of the talent you have got your eye on?

Would be a great way to get the ball rolling!
Sure mate. I'll throw something together in the next hour or two, get things started.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Great suggestion SJ,

Couldn't be in more capable hands, Jester's the man!

I wouldnt mind if we tried to trade for Tyson Goldsack. Think he would be a good get if he was available. thoughts?

Those picks are pretty average, but looking at our last (absurdly good) post-flag draft, I don't think there's too much cause for concern. Stephen Wells: :thumbsu:

Second rounder 48, 3rd rounder 66, 4th rounder 84 etc, although our fourth round pick would probably move up a fair bit in real terms as most clubs will use their 4th rounders for rookie elevations.

Ordinary picks yes, but we have the best recruiter to make the best of them.

Combine day 1:
http://www.afl.com.au/news/newsarticle/tabid/208/newsid/124617/default.aspx

GEELONG'S recruiting team was seen deep in conversation with West Australian key defender Jordan Lockyer on the concourse at Etihad Stadium. With Matthew Scarlett sticking by his intention to retire at the end of 2012 it makes sense that the Cats would be looking to add a key backman into the fold. They could do a lot worse than Lockyer, who finished the season strongly by playing two senior WAFL games for West Perth.

Not surprising, would fit our needs and Wells might be trying to find us a WA KPD again-would think we'd be talking to McInnes and Blee also.

Off topic, really like this idea of a main board draft thread, happy to contribute if needed.

So for thinking outside the box a little.....

With next year's draft being so "deep" and this year not so much ( according to all the press) would it be worth ( and could it be done?) that we perhaps trade our 1st pick this year to say a Richmond for the rights to their 1st pick next year. That would give them 2 x 1st round picks this year and more of chance to improve now and perhaps reward us next year for taking the risk now - giving us 2 1st's next year plus the compo pick. Of course, it depends on where Rich ( as the example) would finish but that is part of the risk - but you would expect perhaps just shy of the top 8 so lets say pick 10 for instance.

It would give a team than needs more help now a leg up and possibly pay off for us next year.

Given that we are quite well stocked - and by this I mean talent wise etc with our list right now including the Bathie types looking for promotion (understanding we need some KPP talls) we could load up next year when the talent pool is allegedly deeper.

Also given we should have FS with Bews, we will prob only pick 2 others at best anyone...

Im still basking in the brilliant shine of the last week so maybe i'm still giddy from the highs.... but its just a thought....

Either way in Wells I trust...

Go Catters...

It's a good idea but in practice clubs will want to hold onto their compo picks so I can't see Richmond trading it to us for pick 26 in a weaker draft.

Richmond was just an example to illustrate but it would only work if a team in this draft wanted back in so to speak, and we are in the position to draft short on numbers as it were....

Thanks for the reply....

:D

Cat Scanners,

Just a heads up to inform you that I'm trying to reinvigorate this board.

There is now a thread on ever player from the past few seasons (mostly just an OP with information from their draft day).

I will look to copy across all posts from the Geelong Board with links to articles from the past couple of years in relation to that player across the summer. Hopefully we can then keep up-to-date going forward. Feel free to contribute to the threads at any stage. There is an index stickied at the top of Cat Scan.

Draftee Watchers,

Thanks for all your efforts leading up to the draft. I thought the preview thread was fantastic and many of that was due to your knowledge and efforts.

Would one of you like to start a preview thread for the Rookie Draft (13 December) in a similar way? Obviously it does not warrant as significant an OP as the National Draft thread.

Cheers.

Remove this Banner Ad

2011 Potential Draftee and Trade Watch

Remove this Banner Ad

Back