2011 Potential Draftee and Trade Watch

Remove this Banner Ad

Re: Potential Draftee & Trade Watch - 2011

I don't know much about drafting, so, can we get players from other clubs because there are already really good young talls, we might be able to trade, delist some of the ones that aren't much use to the gfc????

I don't know much about drafting, so, can we get players from other clubs because there are already really good young talls, we might be able to trade, delist some of the ones that aren't much use to the gfc????

Viv , might be misreading your post but its 2 distinctive things. Draft - Trade

Trade Week will happen before the Draft its here any of the clubs can negotiate with other clubs for a player on another clubs list. Clubs can also trade picks.

So if Im reading your post correctly , you would like us to trade in a player form another club and then trade out or delist a player on our list.
Yes it could be done but it ways get down to what's a fair price, how much are we prepared to pay.

The one player that seems to be on the move this year that may appeal would be Gunston. Wants out of SA and wants to come back to Vic. Would he be a good addition to our list. Probably. But what price would we be prepared to pay. Our first pick will be late 20's and even that will not be enough to get it done , especially this year in a shallow draft.So then to get more currency , do we trade another player with the pick that Adelaide rate , do we bring in a 3rd club..... Trading can become very messy , very quickly and its why so many deals do not get done till the last day

I doubt Geelong will go down this path. They trust their own judgement and their own resources. We will probably go with what we know and promote Rookies from within. They may pickup a kid they rate discarded and give him a second chance in our system. Lock for instance

Nearly every year in trade week , other clubs are huge winners and Geelong is dumb. Laidler last year for instance. But then thru the year , people are amazed at Geelong for having a Vardy or a Christensen. Others trade for known names , we generally picks kids and make them names. Both can work but who could really argue with our approach.

I'm very surprised Gordon only got a state screening invite rather than draft camp so that indicates he might be a late to rookie pick, although I rate him higher than that. Also very surprised Smith from the Falcons isn't on the list, I know the short guys have a harder time getting drafted but he can seriously play. Might be a late bargain for someone.

The most interesting news for me about the Curran thing is Quayle (who is usually spot on) saying Hawks are likely to only have 2 live picks + promote Breust. Now of course they could still use their third rounder as a live pick if they trade their first (e.g. for Gunston etc) but it does indicate how a lot of clubs will be promoting rookies this year and using minimal picks as they think the pool is a bit thin, certainly compared to next year's. If we have to use 4 picks you'd expect our 4th rounder will be the last live pick in the draft as I can't really see anyone picking beyond that. It's one reason we don't want a heap of guys retiring after Saturday as we really don't want to have to go more deep than that this year.

We don't have enough talls on our list to be delisting any of the current ones, except Blake.

We do need to keep an eye out on good young talls to get in although these are the hardest to obtain trade type and cost the most, and so given our picks are quite late in this compromised draft, I struggle to see us being able to put together a trade (given we don't usually trade out guys we think are in our best 22) for a good tall. Next year, more likely.

If we win on Saturday why not go again?! With Ling re-inventing himself for the third time and Ottens deciding to play his best footy in finals then i would like to see just the bare minimum of changes for 2012 with a view to having a significant cleanout over the following two seasons.

So for this year just have Mooney, Milburn and Drum retiring and Blake being delisted. I would elevate Bathie leave Walker to have another rookie year. Stringer and Weston can be delisted. Perhaps Weston could be re-rookied if the club felt he still had something to offer.

That would leave us with 3 picks in an apparently shallow draft.

If we win on Saturday why not go again?! With Ling re-inventing himself for the third time and Ottens deciding to play his best footy in finals then i would like to see just the bare minimum of changes for 2012 with a view to having a significant cleanout over the following two seasons.

So for this year just have Mooney, Milburn and Drum retiring and Blake being delisted. I would elevate Bathie leave Walker to have another rookie year. Stringer and Weston can be delisted. Perhaps Weston could be re-rookied if the club felt he still had something to offer.

That would leave us with 3 picks in an apparently shallow draft.

Agree, next year is the year to do mass changes, both in terms of retirements and delisting any younger players who haven't come on.

We already know we'll lose four (Mooney Drum Milburn Blake) so we don't want to really lose too many more, but if Ling or whoever wants to retire then there's not much we can do. At this point I'd be saying 3 picks (which is really only 2 'live' picks if we nominate Bews) + Simpkin elevated. If we get another retirement then either Bathie or Walker gets elevated, Bathie for mine although if we elevate him we have one less rookie slot so that is something to factor in. Then again if they think he'll be worthy of elevation at the end of next year it's better to do it now rather than waste a pick in a better ND next year. I reckon someone else will pick Weston up so I hope we don't run the gauntlet with trying to re-rookie him. I expect, well more hope, that we'll offer him a third year rookie contract straight up. Stringer and Ben Johnson would be the other players likely to be in trouble from the rookie list.

I like Curran, very surprised the Hawks didn't take him. Like a lot of the talls though, I reckon he'll go between our 1st and second rounder, so unless there's a slider out of the top group (i.e. Talia Elton Kersten Paine etc) I reckon we'll need to reach for a decent tall at 25/26 if we want one.

To me he looks good value for an R2 pick , so for them NOT to use the FS option they either don't rate him or must want to go into trade week unencumbered. This may allow them to use any pick to get deals done and perhaps pick up another pick that will allow them to get him as a normal pick

Reading between the lines its like they want to add a senior player , perhaps defender and after that is done they will see what they can do.

The question for us would be , is he worth P26 ish for us. He looks a very useful player , Forward and Back he would not be the worse option considering our needs.

To me he looks good value for an R2 pick , so for them NOT to use the FS option they either don't rate him or must want to go into trade week unencumbered. This may allow them to use any pick to get deals done and perhaps pick up another pick that will allow them to get him as a normal pick

Reading between the lines its like they want to add a senior player , perhaps defender and after that is done they will see what they can do.

The question for us would be , is he worth P26 ish for us. He looks a very useful player , Forward and Back he would not be the worse option considering our needs.

I suspect it's more about trade week, although I'm surprised they didn't nominate him as if a club bid a first round for him they could have let them have him. I think they want their picks available for trade, rumours about them being into Gunston and Campbell from North. Makes sense given they are in the middle of a premiership window. I wouldn't be unhappy with Curran at 26, a bit of a reach but as I said most of the talls will go b/w our rnd 1 and 2, so no issues there. Unless any of Elton Talia, Paine, Kersten or maybe Bolger (although we don't really need another ruckman) slide to 26 then I could throw a blanket over a whole heap of other talls that I'd be happy with at 26.

PO,

You sound like you rate Sam Gordon, he's 197cm now, is he to tall for FF or is that the coming trend? Could go close to the 200cm by next year, would you still consider him a key position prospect that we could draft.
Do you think he'd go in the National or Rookie?

How about luke thompson? He played junior footy for geelong falcons, tall defender.

How about luke thompson? He played junior footy for geelong falcons, tall defender.

Would be a good get if we could get him back from Adelaide, shows some promise.

PO,

You sound like you rate Sam Gordon, he's 197cm now, is he to tall for FF or is that the coming trend? Could go close to the 200cm by next year, would you still consider him a key position prospect that we could draft.
Do you think he'd go in the National or Rookie?

I don't think 197 or more means you can't play FF, but at that height I do think you need to to be quite athletic because the era of the tall guy who's a great mark but out of the contest once the ball hits the ground is on the wane. Because defences are getting so good now you score from your first time entries less than you did 20 years ago, which is why coaches are putting such an emphasis on locking it in and forwards who can apply pressure and help create turnovers. Not saying Gordon is a liability at that but I do think that if you're a tall forward of any sort now you need to have ability in that area, albeit that defensive efforts is something you can draft a guy with a weakness in and improve on, particularly once you increase their fitness base.

I do think Gordon is one of the better marks in the draft and I'm surprised he's not going to DC. Draft camp invite means 4 or more clubs nominated you to examine, state screening means less than that, so based on him only getting the latter I'd say he's a 50-rookie prospect.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Would be a good get if we could get him back from Adelaide, shows some promise.

I don't think 197 or more means you can't play FF, but at that height I do think you need to to be quite athletic because the era of the tall guy who's a great mark but out of the contest once the ball hits the ground is on the wane. Because defences are getting so good now you score from your first time entries less than you did 20 years ago, which is why coaches are putting such an emphasis on locking it in and forwards who can apply pressure and help create turnovers. Not saying Gordon is a liability at that but I do think that if you're a tall forward of any sort now you need to have ability in that area, albeit that defensive efforts is something you can draft a guy with a weakness in and improve on, particularly once you increase their fitness base.

I do think Gordon is one of the better marks in the draft and I'm surprised he's not going to DC. Draft camp invite means 4 or more clubs nominated you to examine, state screening means less than that, so based on him only getting the latter I'd say he's a 50-rookie prospect.

Did read him say that he was working on the various elements of testing he was weak in, but he listed his strengths in the 20 metre sprint and the vertical leap! Good on him.

Do you reckon a guy who's 17yrs at 197cm is going to be a little behind when it comes to leg muscle power, as the strength hasn't caught up with the growth of the limb?
I think we can be overly unrealistic with these young very talls, around the 200cm area, I'm certain with gym training at the proffessional level big gains can be found in the future.
Saw a picture of him tackling in the carnival, he looks nicely proportioned to me, not to skinny like Mitch Brown looked at first.

Played a key fwd for Vic Country, very similar to Josh Walkers' background Falcons and State rep, I would like us to consider him with our late pick or rookie.

if ottens really retires and vardy will spend time up forward, west and simpson in the ruck do u think we can get another young one? How about this:
Jay Lever
Club: Geelong Falcons
Height: 200 cm
Weight: 86 kg
"Represented Vic Country at the NAB AFL Under-18 Championships playing in all five games and averaging 10 hit-outs. His strengths include his kicking ability, speed and agility, positioning, ability to play a required role, and marking when in front or on a lead. He has averaged 12.2 disposals and four marks for the Falcons."

Lever's a good rookie prospect, other than Longer and Bolger who we won't get a crack at I think the rest of the combine ruck group are pretty much all rookies this year. Wouldn't use a high pick on one, but rookie list yes.

By the way, now that we've won the flag my counting says we will have picks 26, 48, 66, 84, 102 and 120 (obviously we won't use all of those) in the national draft this year.

To pick the eyes out of the Vic Metro and country squads, including the two top u18 teams Oakleigh and Sandringham, you're going to come up with some great future talent.

I just hope they remember to go medium/tall to tall from whatever is available for us.

Heard Bewsy yakking on Krock that Jed was training with the club during GF week..

Also he was questioned on if it was all a done deal and he said no it wasnt but that the club was working on "getting things right" but that they had not heard anything concrete from anyone other than Geelong....

Its all talk really but at least its positive.... presuming Wellsy rates him of course....

Go Catters...

Heard Bewsy yakking on Krock that Jed was training with the club during GF week..

Also he was questioned on if it was all a done deal and he said no it wasnt but that the club was working on "getting things right" but that they had not heard anything concrete from anyone other than Geelong....

Its all talk really but at least its positive.... presuming Wellsy rates him of course....

Go Catters...

Not sure of the dates but the fs will have to be done very soon , before trade week min.

Has Jed been invited to any screening? Even this year which looks thin I doubt he will cost us more than a R3. So considering the history , considering the family connections , considering the negative consequences if we don't, it would be silly not to draft him especially if we think he is worth around that R3 range.

Lever's a good rookie prospect, other than Longer and Bolger who we won't get a crack at I think the rest of the combine ruck group are pretty much all rookies this year. Wouldn't use a high pick on one, but rookie list yes.

By the way, now that we've won the flag my counting says we will have picks 26, 48, 66, 84, 102 and 120 (obviously we won't use all of those) in the national draft this year.

Have not seen him play , but heard good things. Lever has played a bit as key forward so he may be another who has more than one role in him.

I hope Jimmy Allen at least gets a rookie spot for us next year. Geelong boy and can play.

Unlikely given his age for us, 26 now isn't he?. Height will also turn a few clubs off. Hope he gets a spot somewhere though, definitely can play.

Not sure of the dates but the fs will have to be done very soon , before trade week min.

Has Jed been invited to any screening? Even this year which looks thin I doubt he will cost us more than a R3. So considering the history , considering the family connections , considering the negative consequences if we don't, it would be silly not to draft him especially if we think he is worth around that R3 range.

Invited to the national combine

Re bidding dates:
http://www.afl.com.au/tabid/208/default.aspx?newsid=121152

As you can see F/S bidding is on the first day of trade week next Monday.

I think given the lateness of our picks it makes complete sense to take him unless someone bids a first rounder and forces us to use 26 on him, which I doubt, even though I think he will test well.

Emma Quayle has just done a piece on the draft camp (or combine, if you prefer the afl's americanised terminonology) and some of the likely top prospects.

http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-news/highflyers-of-the-class-of-2011-20111003-1l5es.html

Obviously we won't get a look at any of them with our late first pick, but it's an interesting read nonetheless.

Be interesting to see what type Wells targets with 26, obviously a lot of us want talls but it will depend largely on what falls through based on what types of players all the clubs with higher picks target.

Don't know if anyone has seen Sam Gordon play, but I believe he didn't play all year with the Falcons had School Rep duties etc, but still cracked it for Aust carnival Vic Country team.
At 197cm he's keyposition size and he's not to skinny as some are, got to be a late draft pick prospect or rookie at least, the kid's obviously got talent.

Another big type that might fly under the radar is Julien Dubosz from Tassie, wouldn't be dissappointed to get him. Very mobile tall, probably my favorite out of these two.

Remove this Banner Ad

2011 Potential Draftee and Trade Watch

Remove this Banner Ad

Back