2011 Potential Draftee and Trade Watch

Remove this Banner Ad

Re: Potential Draftee & Trade Watch - 2011

What do we think of Jack Crisp?

Won the Bushies B&F by a good margin and seems to have a lot to like. For instance this description sounds just like a Cats type player.

Victoria:
Jack Crisp
Club: Murray Bushrangers
Height: 189 cm
Weight: 91 kg
"Represented Vic Country at the NAB AFL Under-18 Championships. His defensive run and chase down tackles (averaging 3.5 per game) have been a regular feature of his game, along with his overhead marking. His ball handling skills and long kicking are other strengths. He averaged 18.8 possessions and four marks per game for the Bushies in his impressive year in the TAC Cup."
by Schulzycrow

Apparently has a very good engine and likes to play a tough game of footy.Can kick the ball a fair distance and can take a reasonable mark. Like I said , apparently a lot to like.

His tackle average suggests he's quick around the stoppage, he has the size and weght of a Max Rooke or Ling, would be a pretty fair punt.

What was his form like at the carnival? Although B+F by some margin means he can play alright.
A 190cm type with a sizable body to start, I'd like another Ling type with a little more speed.;)

His tackle average suggests he's quick around the stoppage, he has the size and weght of a Max Rooke or Ling, would be a pretty fair punt.

What was his form like at the carnival? Although B+F by some margin means he can play alright.
A 190cm type with a sizable body to start, I'd like another Ling type with a little more speed.;)

Pretty much the 2 players I was thinking about but Stan Magro has placed him against Pendlebery. ( which may be just the usual hype to get one own player drafted , Turner does it every year at the Falcons).
Anyway , have not seen the kid. Like hear to if anyone has seen him in person. Most of the phantoms have him late in the draft 30-60 but as we know Rooke didn't even play TAC and struggled to get picked. 91Kgs wouldn't be all muscle I'm sure but it would be nice not having to wait 3 years for a kid to put on size.

http://au.prime7.yahoo.com/v1/video/-/watch/26683798/bushies-best-and-fairest/

Pretty much the 2 players I was thinking about but Stan Magro has placed him against Pendlebery. ( which may be just the usual hype to get one own player drafted , Turner does it every year at the Falcons).
Anyway , have not seen the kid. Like hear to if anyone has seen him in person. Most of the phantoms have him late in the draft 30-60 but as we know Rooke didn't even play TAC and struggled to get picked. 91Kgs wouldn't be all muscle I'm sure but it would be nice not having to wait 3 years for a kid to put on size.

http://au.prime7.yahoo.com/v1/video/-/watch/26683798/bushies-best-and-fairest/

That bit about not having to wait 3 years for the kid to put on size is such a bonus, think about Jack Darling!!!!
We could have had him with our second round I think it was.

Anyhow a power midfielder/half forward is a perfect fit considering the immenent retirment of Ling, and we never really replaced Rooke with a similar model, I always liked what he brought to the team.
Crisp could be an important pickup, at 17yrs an elite footballer weighing 91kg at 189cm, what would he be like with a mature body after a couple of pre-seasons?
A very big midfielder for sure.

Anyhow a power midfielder/half forward is a perfect fit considering the immenent retirment of Ling, and we never really replaced Rooke with a similar model, I always liked what he brought to the team.
Crisp could be an important pickup, at 17yrs an elite footballer weighing 91kg at 189cm, what would he be like with a mature body after a couple of pre-seasons?
A very big midfielder for sure.

Plus he is a left footer.

But 91 kgs for a 17 year old kid is huge.

Checked his stats, the guy that originally posted that was wrong, he's 81kg!
Still there's a few sizable boys out there, wouldn't mind if we looked for a big strong bodied tallish mid, to fill the Ling/Rooke role.
Alot of med/tall defenders could fit the bill.

Have to say I like the look of the Tassy kid , Julian Dobosz. Another kid that has come to the game late yet looks to have a reasonable grasp of in play situations. Nice size and can convert.

http://www.afl.com.au/video/tabid/76/contentid/390620/julian+dobosz+-+2011+highlights/default.aspx

Edit :

Actually don't mind another couple of the mid sized forwards either : BrettOHanlon and Jackson Paine

I remember Paine having a nice game ( some of the highlights on clip) at the Dome. Good strong looking kid. To me he looks a kid who could step up quickly like Darling has.193 and 87 , plenty of size about him. Looks to play a little like Mooney , nothing fancy but very effective.

OHanlon seems very mobile and has good hands 189 & 82 would be too light for a key role but a very interesting forward/mid if his beep was good enough.

Both worth watching in the Combine

http://www.afl.com.au/video/tabid/76/contentid/391741/brett+ohanlon+-+2011+highlights/default.aspx

http://www.afl.com.au/video/tabid/76/contentid/390663/jackson+paine+-+2011+highlights/default.aspx

Checked his stats, the guy that originally posted that was wrong, he's 81kg!
Still there's a few sizable boys out there, wouldn't mind if we looked for a big strong bodied tallish mid, to fill the Ling/Rooke role.
Alot of med/tall defenders could fit the bill.

On the TAC website he is 91
http://www.sportingpulse.com/assoc_...ask=DETAIL&articleID=16918008&sectionID=69677

Yes your right , listed on the VC list as 81
http://www.afl.com.au/development/n.../u18sviccountrysquad/tabid/16266/default.aspx

Not the first time some numbers are a bit rubbery , have really nailed what J.Bews heights is?

Another around that size is Nic O'Brien Nth Ballarat 189/89 and Sam Dobson 189/85, don't know anything about them, are they both big mids, or potentially?

Boseley from the falcons, a tall defender, probably go early.

Out of Vic Metro,

I like, Paine, Thomlison and Frost in that order. All good sized boys.

Really like Talia although I think the Dogs will take him at 17 if GWS don't.

Maybe we jump on Boseley at 25 if he's still there, I'd also be looking at Frost, Paine, Mihocek, Dobosz and Kersten around that mark.

Although I wouldn't rule out Wells still going short, I'd rather a tall but if GWS focus on talls there could be some sliders in the mid group (which runs deeper than the tall group). If for example an Adams type or Smith (dreaming maybe with the latter) slides into the 20's we might pull the trigger despite our need for KPP. We could then rectify that by taking a Blee type with a later pick (pity it's looking like GWS want to prelist and keep Mohr).

I'm hoping we don't have to use anymore than 47/48 on Bews, although he's an athletic kid so he could test well and if he does someone might force us to use our 1st under the bidding, although that's probably unlikely.

Given all the youth in smalls and mids, one would hope we look to go around the 190cm and over for this draft.
A couple of versitiles around 190 and a bigger key tall, would be great, but if a ripper slips, then I guess we add to our stock of 180-185's.

But, hope we can get what we need from the former group as we need to introduce taller youth.

Given all the youth in smalls and mids, one would hope we look to go around the 190cm and over for this draft.
A couple of versitiles around 190 and a bigger key tall, would be great, but if a ripper slips, then I guess we add to our stock of 180-185's.

But, hope we can get what we need from the former group as we need to introduce taller youth.

I am with you here Meto.

Given that we have a fair spattering of young mids around the 180 -185 cm mark such as Cowan (184), Guthrie (186), Hogan (182), Horlin-Smith (186), T. Hunt (183) Motlop (182) Schroder (182), Selwood (182), Simpkin (181), Stringer (182) and Varcoe (180).

However, I think that we need to look at the taller, versatile player in the 189 to 193 cm mark.
Recently we have lost Tom Harley (193), Laidler (189) Max Rooke (189) and Marcus Drum (191).

We have players who are around the 30 y.o. age mark and will be gone in the not too distant future.
Joel Corey (191) turns 30 before the 2012 seasons starts. Stevie J (189) turns 29 mid next season. Ling (189) has already hit 30. Milburn (189) is 99 not out. Then there is Scarlett (192) and Pods (193) who are are great but aging players. And Scarlo has flagged that 2012 is probably his last season.

Dan Menzel, (188) will be missing most of, if not all of 2012 and Jack Weston may not survive the razor gang in the next fortnight (although I hope for better) given his LTI's.

On the plus side there is Mitch Duncan (187) and Billie Smedts (189) who will come through next year and who is already at training. But all considered, it seems that we have a deficiency in this versatile size of players coming through.
It just seems to me that young players in the 189 to 193cm mark are the area that we are lacking.

It could be argued that we look to players to fill certain key positions, but players in this range are generally suited to play in a variety of positions.

What do others who are probably better informed than me think?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Well constructed Rabbi, you can add Taylor Hunt 183cm and George Burbury 186 to that young list as well, oh yeah, throw in Bundy Christiansen 178cm and Mitch Duncan 187cm although Mitch is probably a little tall for this group, but not by alot.
Although Mitch looks bigger than his listed 187cm, maybe he grew a couple.

But,that's why I listed Paine Frost and Thomlinson, 191-194 types and O'Brien and Dobson as good draft options in the 189-190 range, that can play midfield and flanks.
Just hope that's the aim of the recruitment staff.

Although he's the right size I've gone off Weston, 'ok at VFL level', but that's it! I'd like him off the list and replaced with a Dobosz or a Kersten, then there's Talia and Boseley, Mihocek or any of the above.

Steve Wells and his people have really got to know their stuff, it's so interesting to see what they'll come up with.

I agree, although one has to have an open mind, after all the mid group looks to have depth this year (more than the talls group does) so if GWS pick as many talls as GC did, there could be a slider of real quality at our first pick.

That said, I would still hope we go tall at our first pick and no matter what we do with our first pick I'd be very surprised if 3/4 of our picks across the ND and RD aren't talls. Looks like our biggest list need.

Well constructed Rabbi, you can add Taylor Hunt 183cm and George Burbury 186 to that young list as well, oh yeah, throw in Bundy Christiansen 178cm and Mitch Duncan 187cm although Mitch is probably a little tall for this group, but not by alot.
Although Mitch looks bigger than his listed 187cm, maybe he grew a couple.

But,that's why I listed Paine Frost and Thomlinson, 191-194 types and O'Brien and Dobson as good draft options in the 189-190 range, that can play midfield and flanks.
Just hope that's the aim of the recruitment staff.

Although he's the right size I've gone off Weston, 'ok at VFL level', but that's it! I'd like him off the list and replaced with a Dobosz or a Kersten, then there's Talia and Boseley, Mihocek or any of the above.

Steve Wells and his people have really got to know their stuff, it's so interesting to see what they'll come up with.

Agree on most of that. Keep in mind Dobosz won't get to the rookie draft though so you can't replace Weston with him on the list. I like Weston too, hope he gets a third year.

We'll get some good talls in the rookie draft too hopefully with a lot of teams only taking 2 or 3 picks in the main draft.

Sorry PO, just don't agree with Weston, know he's had injury issues, but just doesn't seem to have it for me to go to next level.
I think it's his attack on the ball or something, he's got pace, but don't see him breaking in anytime soon (seniors), and he's been with us long enough IMO.

I think Dobosz is a likely, saw his vid.

Sorry PO, just don't agree with Weston, know he's had injury issues, but just doesn't seem to have it for me to go to next level.
I think it's his attack on the ball or something, he's got pace, but don't see him breaking in anytime soon (seniors), and he's been with us long enough IMO.

I think Dobosz is a likely, saw his vid.

Weston's got the ability alright, pace, kicking skills, very hard at it, good mark for his size, in terms of being here long enough they loved the back end of last year what he produced, and this year he's been injured all year, so I'd argue he needs more time and a good run with injuries. But given we have previously cut rookies who struggle to get on the park, I am preparing myself for the worst.

Like Doboz, very smart player and a lot of upside considering how little footy he has played.

Weston's got the ability alright, pace, kicking skills, very hard at it, good mark for his size, in terms of being here long enough they loved the back end of last year what he produced, and this year he's been injured all year, so I'd argue he needs more time and a good run with injuries. But given we have previously cut rookies who struggle to get on the park, I am preparing myself for the worst.

Like Doboz, very smart player and a lot of upside considering how little footy he has played.

I think you'd be a better judge (Weston), but just wish he'd make a statement at least by next year, otherwise you'd say he's been left behind come 2013.

Another draftee I thought worth a look was a guy from the Dragons named Ben Darrou, big mid/flanker type, listed at 190cm/91 if I remember, he's a big boy!

Was named among the best for Sandringham in this years premiership team v Oakleigh Chargers, and played for the Metro Carnival winning team, with v good stats.
Looks a little like Gwilt, the Saints H/Back.

Ben Darrou

Club: Sandringham Dragons
Height: 190cm
Weight: 93kg

"Represented Vic Metro at the AFL U18 Championships averaging 14.5 disposals, four marks, 4.5 tackles per game. His kicking is a real feature and combined with his vision make him a real attacking weapon from defence. He possesses good natural size and athletic ability and he does not shirk any contests."

At 93 kg that is a big kid for a 17 year old.
http://www.bigfooty.com/forum/archive/index.php/t-854534.html

I'm absolutely stunned that Hawthorn have told Tom Curran that they won't be picking him as a Father/Son selection. Apparently they plan on using only 2 "live" picks in the draft (after they promote Bruest).

I just can't believe they don't rate him in their top 45. He is 195cm and I've seen him dominate games at both ends of the ground for Oakleigh & Vic Metro. Plays a very similar defensive game as Ben Reid and really developed a great partnership with Adam Tomlinson late in the year. Having a KPD with great potential isn't something Hawthorn should be passing up considering the recent weaknesses they've had down back. If Chris Pelchen was still at the Hawks, there is no way he would let this happen!

I would love Geelong to take him. This is great news for the depth of KPP's in this draft. This really excites me as it pushes another quality KPP down the picking order. I personally rate Curran (and Tomlinson for that matter) higher than Boseley.

Another defender who caught my eye during TAC Cup finals was Jordan Kelly from Dandenong. He is a nice size at 191cm and holds his position well one on one. He took a fantastic running back with the flight mark at the Visy Park Prelims which was my highlight of the day. Looks the goods!

Ben Darrou
Club: Sandringham Dragons
Height: 190cm
Weight: 93kg

"Represented Vic Metro at the AFL U18 Championships averaging 14.5 disposals, four marks, 4.5 tackles per game. His kicking is a real feature and combined with his vision make him a real attacking weapon from defence. He possesses good natural size and athletic ability and he does not shirk any contests."

At 93 kg that is a big kid for a 17 year old.
http://www.bigfooty.com/forum/archive/index.php/t-854534.html

Far out Rabbi, 93kg on a 190cm frame already, sounds like an oversized Josh Hunt, crumbs imagine when he grows up!

Thing is, I read he was among the best in the dragons premiership victory, so he can play, no doubt.
Those stats he racked, pretty impressive too.

Budda.
Thought Curran would've been hot property for the Hawks?

I like Curran, very surprised the Hawks didn't take him. Like a lot of the talls though, I reckon he'll go between our 1st and second rounder, so unless there's a slider out of the top group (i.e. Talia Elton Kersten Paine etc) I reckon we'll need to reach for a decent tall at 25/26 if we want one.

Kelly shows promise, although like a few of the defenders in this year's crop, I wish he had an extra inch or two in height.

Turbo,

Thanks for links, especially the Darrou one, he's what I thought he might be, all power and very hard at the contest, whether in and under or in the air.
He has that size and weight advantage in those situations that he uses very well.

Another thing I noticed was his handball, very impressive how he wins the ball then looks to feed the outside runners and setup the play.
At times he looked slow, only because the kid has the awareness to know where the opposition is, so he carefully chose his best option, real footy smart.
His accelleration and speed where evident when he went after opponents to tackle, very strong in the tackle (see takle stats), and his closing speed to effect a spoil, very quick.

Big, strong bodied, in and under, power midfielder/half back, can take on a tall in the air, but very talented on the ground with a strong attack on the ball
His CV speaks for itself, I'd like him as a neo-ling, Maxxy Rooke type.

Probably needs to shead 5-6 kg, then add a couple of kilo's of pre-season muscle, change his body a little bit, should see him around 88-90kg to start.
Like him in our VFL midfield next year, but most likely won't happen.

Apart from him, we have got a fair chance at some good potential talls and med/talls this draft, does anyone know much of Falcons Sam Gordon or does he just make up the numbers?

Remove this Banner Ad

2011 Potential Draftee and Trade Watch

Remove this Banner Ad

Back