2011 Potential Draftee and Trade Watch

Remove this Banner Ad

Re: Potential Draftee & Trade Watch - 2011

ive got elton going anywhere from 4 at highest, gc (if they think he could play chb for bock eventually) to 12. doubtful to slide too much i think.

longer top 10 to gws.

bolger to get looked at by richmond, st kilda ( but surely they will go mid), and very likely freo for post sandi days.

at a guess ild think gordon/ bussey/ talia would be your targets. always get surprised on draft day though. adding smedts/ guth/ hypthon smith whatever his name is surely talls would be the go?? i know mitch is on the verge though but numbers is best

Brodie Grundy from SA is a great ruckman, and great around the ground too. If we're looking for rucks then he'd be good to get but may well be gone before out first pick.

Also, does anyone know much about Clay Smith (Vic Country - 180cm, 78kg, Gippsland Power)? Obviously being the shorter-type midfielder he doesn't quite fit the Wells' recruiting mould but I've been very impressed with him so far.

He's been in the top three best players for Vic Country in all three games and his clearance work is amazing. I assume he was a bit of an unknown before the champs?

Can anyone give me an idea of where he will land in the draft? If he's around by our pick I'd be rapt to get him.

Brodie Grundy from SA is a great ruckman, and great around the ground too. If we're looking for rucks then he'd be good to get but may well be gone before out first pick.

He's not eligible, too young.

Is eligibile for the GWS trade thing though.

Beau Black was named in the best for the Rams in the champs today

F/S for us?

Damien played 102 for us and 22 for Brisbane. Born 11/11/1994 so would be eligible from next year I believe. u16's for qld is not vic metro but its still state comp so he must have some talent and 192 at 16 , i suspect will not be his final height.

A NSW kid that may be attractive to GWS? Maybe another chip in the poker game at years end?

Also , Jordan Bourke (192cm) kicked 6 for QLD u16's , possible FS the next year or 2

He's a scholarship player for us I believe (black)

He's a scholarship player for us I believe (black)

I understand that he is a Scholarship player but considering he is from NSW , it may be more to his liking to go to GWS and if so , he may just be an extra bargaining chip to get us into the mini draft for the u17.
I'd trade Black and a couple of reasonable depth players for one of the kids that they have been talking about.

With the SA teams going so badly maybe it would be worth re-visiting an enquiry or two with the managers of Boak and Dangerfield. I can imagine that both of these guys would be infinitely better players back home and at the Cats.

Dangerfield has had a pretty poor year and his currency may have dropped a little. Offering our compo pick as part of a package maybe well worth it.

So got along to both games this arvo. Had the thrill of having Wellsy and Nigel Lappin sit behind me, sadly all my eavesdropping turned up was that Lappin was having lamb casserole for dinner. On the other hand had an old codger behind me whose steady groans and cries of 'Weak! WEAK! YOU'RE PISSWEAK!' was a lot more than annoying. I can understand frustration and examining players with a critical eye but constantly questioning the courage of 16 and 17yr olds is pretty poor.

That said, both games weren't really glittering displays of skill despite the almost perfect conditions. Metro and SA seemed pretty even around the ground; the difference was that Metro had Patton up forward and SA didn't. Country didn't have anyone as dominant but had a couple of strong-marking options that WA didn't really have an answer for; in contrast WA played a nippy forward line that looked dangerous at times but didn't really mesh with the midfield.

Anyway, chaps who stood out for me:

Metro

Obviously Patton was the standout, even if half his shots at goal were sprayed. Although he dominated a huge part of it was his size, was taller and much stronger than his SA opponents and they did well to foil him a couple of times. Noticeable that his frame kept him in steady in packs and allowed him two bites at the cherry - reminded me a bit of Hawkins, and not necessarily in a complimentary sense. Still, at this stage you'd think he'd go No 1. In midfield I don't think there was a real standout - Greene, Sumner, Viney, Woodward and Wooffindin all got plenty of the ball.

Down back they played Plowman as FB and Talia and Frost at CHB. Thought Plowman was the best of them. Didn't notice Talia a great deal apart from a shanked kick under little pressure early in the first. Frost played on Sam Mayes, who took a few strong contested mark but at 187 was giving up a fair bit of height to him. Frost kicked a nice goal early but apart from that didn't impress me much, getting beaten in the air by Mayes a couple of times and making some questionable decisions.

Jack Newnes: Nice sized player from the Knights who got rotated through defence and the middle. Found a bit of it and used it well although fumbled a bit with his hands.

Brandon Ellis: nuggety half-back with a thumping boot. Reminded me a bit of Josh Hunt in both positive and negative ways.

Dom Tyson: Really enjoyed this kid's game. Got rotated all over the ground and did extremely well in every position, kicking a great goal in the third. Was able to stand up in tackles, get his hands free and was generally clean with the ball.

SA

Mitch Grigg: was just about BOG for SA up until he gave away a double 50 that gave Metro a soft goal and took the wind out of SA's sale at a critical point in the third. Seemed to stand out with his ability to hit targets if nothing else.

Josh Waldhuter: was looking forward to his game and he didn't disappoint, although that said he didn't get a heap of the ball. Looks like a typical modern halfback that can run through the middle - got a good burst of pace, was able to stand up and break tackles through his obvious strength in the hips. Used the ball reasonably well to boot.

WA

Myles Bolger: touch of the giraffe about this guy, did a blind turn at one stage that was succesful but took about five minutes to complete. Skills let him down at times and grassed a few.

Rhys Waters: really enjoyed his game, just had a bit more time than a lot of his WA compatriots. Got in a few blues (in what was a pretty spiteful game) with his opponent, though.

Cam Eardley: generic midfield type that's another product of the East Fremantle factory. Got a fair bit of it and won a lot of individual contests but was fighting a losing battle after halftime.

Riley Hutchinson: another aggressive half-back who took on his opponents and won most of the time.

Bradley Hill: came in with expectations thanks to his name and I don't think he would have done anything to disappoint. Not dominant but really, did everything you'd expect of him - he's tiny (180/60) and like his brother shapes as an outside wing type who'll spread hard from the stoppage and deliver into forward 50.

Matthew Jupp: played at fullback and was really strong overhead, although WA flooded pretty hard after quarter time so it's hard to give a full assessment. Probably a bit undersized (191/81) for FB at AFL level.

Country

Clay Smith: BOG for mine, just willed himself to contests, won them, and then used the ball well. Can see his stocks rapidly rising.

Devon Smith: Gun, there'll be plenty written on him between now and the draft.

Josh Tynan: enjoys a sidestep, though I suspect his coach doesn't. Certainly a confident defender but a lot to work with - usually picked the right option, and always tried hard to work to the front and mark.

Coleman Schache: the other contender for BOG, suspect the figures will show he's an elite ball user by foot. Was just really clean, even in traffic.

Taylor Adams: found a bit of it and was ferocious in the contest but his kicking let him down. Got yellow-carded after the melee at three quarter time.

Brett O'Hanlon: mid-sized forward that took some fantastic contested marks, just read it in the air better and was able to position his body accordingly. At 189 isn't really tall enough to play key forward, so it'll be interesting to see what kind of future he has at a higher level.

Jake Reeves: loved this kids game. At 194/98 he w's a big kid and I suppose technically he was starting at CHB but played much more like a midfielder. Another with borderline elite footskills and a booming kick, and matched the pace of some of WA's smaller, nippy players. Definitely one to watch.

Andrew Boseley: did alright playing against Yarran but can't say I walked away excited. Fair enough Yarran's not an ideal matchup but he shouldn't have lost aerial contests or have been bumped off the ball by him. Is a lanky kid and reckon he'd require a lot of coaching to play as a defender at AFL level. Lateish/rookie chance IMO.

Thanks for that Jester.

It sounds like Reeves may be one that Wells will keep a keen eye on assuming we are looking for a KPD in November. Do you know anything more about him? How is his TAC cup form? If he is that sort of size with speed and good footskills it's hard not see quite a few clubs lining up to look at him.

Thanks for that Jester.

It sounds like Reeves may be one that Wells will keep a keen eye on assuming we are looking for a KPD in November. Do you know anything more about him? How is his TAC cup form? If he is that sort of size with speed and good footskills it's hard not see quite a few clubs lining up to look at him.
TBH I did a bit of a doubletake when I saw he was listed at 194...as I said played like a midfield/HB type more than a KPP. That said just flicked through his TAC stats (plays for Murray) and it looks like they're playing him as a rotating ruck/forward.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Jester , what did you think of Conigilo? Do you think he has more upside than Patton?

What did Gordon and Edwards play like? Falcons kids that have performed well at TAC level.

I still think its very difficult to nail names in these games , when ever I watch them half the kids I like never even get drafted. Obviously poor judgement on my behalf? Not always there is only so much room and tinkers cuss between some player at this level. Hats of to Wells, he has an eye like a fish.

Thinking on Menzel and Duncan these guys were not dominant in the champs but showed glimpes of what has proven to be a very transferable skill set. But as much as anything he likes good decision makers and they appear to be good at that.

Thanks for the review , good read as usual.

Conigilo had almost no impact so it was difficult to judge. Between that and Wingard getting knocked out early it was an interesting day, Patton the only one of the Big 3 to show his wares.

Didn't really notice Gordon TBH, would have to check my notes. Edwards played in defence, did alright...didn't get a great deal of it and made one howler late. I should also note that Bussey didn't play for Metro, so the great hope for the KPD first rounder remains alive and well.

It is difficult and comparing what I took away with the write-ups this morning, I didn't notice the BOG for any of the four teams. Guess that's all part of the fun and I'm planning to go on Wed to get another look.

Really enjoyed this article. Especially the bits relating to Wells.

"In the recruiting, there are egos and recruiters who love the life, but are they prepared to do the hard work? Not always, whereas Stephen Wells does," McMaster said.

"He loves players who are hard at the ball and can't stand those who make stupid decisions. He also listens to the right people and doesn't canvass his ideas with others, sitting on his own to watch games.

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/geelongs-attack-of-the-clones/story-e6frf9jf-1226085897704

Having the guts to go you own way is probably a lot easier now a days but certainly some of the picks he has taken in the past show he is willing plow his own turf. for instance Mackie 02 , Taylor in 07 where all on other radar but he took them early. But magic of Wells imo is the gems he has pulled late and looking at the 09 draft he has done it again.

I went down to Visy Park on Saturday to check out the NSW/ACT vs QLD game, mainly to check out Beau Black. I was pretty happy with what I saw.

He has quite clean hands and made some really good decisions. He isn't at all blessed with pace but seemed to find space in contested situations. One thing I did notice was that he always preferred to handball. I would have liked to see him test out the boot a bit more.

Would make it either a defensive midfielder or back pocket in the top league I believe. Definitely worth throwing onto the rookie list IMHO.

Jake Reeves: loved this kids game. At 194/98 he w's a big kid and I suppose technically he was starting at CHB but played much more like a midfielder. Another with borderline elite footskills and a booming kick, and matched the pace of some of WA's smaller, nippy players. Definitely one to watch.

Thanks for that Jester.

TBH I did a bit of a doubletake when I saw he was listed at 194...as I said played like a midfield/HB type more than a KPP. That said just flicked through his TAC stats (plays for Murray) and it looks like they're playing him as a rotating ruck/forward.
Yeah so it turns out that he 'played more like a midfielder' because No 29 wasn't Jake Reeves (as the record listed) but Sam Docherty from the Power, who the coaches had as BOG.

Thought this was interesting:
http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/a...on-class-of-2012/story-e6frf9jf-1226089262240
The likely No.1 pick in November, key forward Jonathan Patton, kicked two goals, but there was encouraging effort from his opponent Andrew Boseley.
http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/a...on-class-of-2012/story-e6frf9jf-1226089262240

I liked Talia too. Whether either would be there in the 40's (assuming some other club bids to make us use our first pick on jed) remains to be seen, but worth continuing to look at.

Watched the champs last night , and thought Id post a few names that I noted certainly not exclusive to the best players just ones that caught my eye.

VM v VC

Vm15 Hayden Crozier Dale Thomas like , light but is a very handy small forward with potential. Perhaps a guys who may be a little to in and out of the game for the moment but heaps of talent

VM40 Billy Longer Strong overhead Ruckman , just a bit ave. by foot. His tap work was excellent although he did have any real opposition. Probably needs to work on his spread but liked what I saw.

VC12 Lachie Whitfied. Would be my favourite kid from the two games. Better than good , very smooth and will be very early pick 2012. He just controls his area of play draws the ball to him , reads it well

VC8 Clay Smith Sort of saw a bit Dane Swan Potential in him, bit ugly by foot but he is a good footballer

VC26 Andrew Bosley Red haired full back , athletic , not sure if he is a Hurley more of a Lonergan athletic type , need to see more in play from him but he did well considering the amount of ball VM had coming in. If Patton had kicked straight it may have looked worse than 3 goals but certainly did his job

VC9 Shaun Wyatt Did not mind laying a tackle , good signs

VC30 Matt Buntine Nice mover , looks a natural defender

VC5 Nic Haynes Nice size at 191 athletic type , works hard just not sure if he has enough talent

VC33 NicOBrien Good 1o1, got enough pace to get in front on the lead , smart thinker perhaps a little bit wasteful but a bit to work with

VM32 Brandon Elis Strong looking kid reminds me a bit of Taylor Hunt prowling the backline. Like a few kids , was not totally convinced if his kicking technique id great , he certainly could kick the ball a great distance

VM27 Michael Talia Nice kick on both feet , good mover will run the ball out the backline. Would suit Geelong’s game for sure. Is he a stopper or a tall running type. Need more games than just one to see that.

VM38 Jon Patton Can see why some think he is similar to Hawkins , he is just so big compared to most played against him. His kicking looked a touch shaky but he kicks it better than Tom. His marking over head on a full paced lead would be enough to get him picked , add the contested side of his game and he is a very early pick.

VM2 Toby Greene , Killed it. Not sure where he was rated before this game but certainly would have gone up. Sort of Marc Murphy/Luke Power/Boomer Harvey type that is smallish but just continues to link up and create

SA v WA
Sa13 Luke Brown Liked the look of this kid. Running small backline player , think a bit like wojo but with better dispossal. The thought that kept popping into my head was Menzel playing back. Where does this kid normally play. If on ball then he would be a very handy pickup

Wa26 Jordan Lockyer Utility type , handy sort of hardnut son of ex eagles player but doesn’t qualify father son 190cm. Can play both ends One suspects that he would blossom in a professional environment , Id imagine him being a Rooke type in a few years.

Sa4 Josh Simpson This kid was a delight. As light as 6 egg pav , theres nothing of him but his skill was there obvious to all. Under age kid that has that elusive quality seen often in aboriginal players , kicks goal on the run, takes nice marks. Seems to have that slow motion capability to slow the game , will be one of many really talented kids in next years draft

Sa9 Mitch Grigg Polished left foot kick , not only did it look good it hit targets

Sa2 Ben Kennedy Another that sort of reminded me of Boomer , very nippy little player and can see why clubs might consider going after him in the mini draft

Sa7 Sam Mayes Another bottom aged for 2012 , super clean by foot balanced would be just the type wells loves.

year of the cat said:
Thanks for that Turbo. Did Sam Docherty, whom Jester was impressed by last week, play yesterday? If so how did he perform?
Yeah he did, scraped into the bests though didn't have anywhere near the same impact as he did against WA - understandable given the different nature of the game. Country were rancid, don't think I saw one fluent passage of play from them. I wasn't overly impressed with Boseley against WA but I thought he was outstanding playing on Patton, though he got a bit of help from the umps. Certainly wouldn't have hurt his chances. Turbo's write ups are excellent so I'll just throw in two more names - Tyson was outstanding again and I liked Jackson Paine (193/87), snagged a couple and just looked dangerous overhead and at ground level.

Biggest thing I took out of Wed was the overall quality of the draft...I normally roll my eyes when 'it's a poor draft' starts getting thrown around cause it's usually overblown (see 09) but Metro were pretty demonstrably the best team, and they have only a handful of players I would have thought you'd already see as 150-200 gamers. Would be pretty comfortable with us taking only 3-4 players, including Bews.

Remove this Banner Ad

2011 Potential Draftee and Trade Watch

Remove this Banner Ad

Back