2011 Potential Draftee and Trade Watch

Remove this Banner Ad

Re: Potential Draftee & Trade Watch - 2011

As much as he's driving me mad, the pragmatist in me says we don't have the KP stocks to trade Tom (unless we get a gun KP in), and these kids are such guns that a much, much better player than Tom will be required to get one anyway.

As much as he's driving me mad, the pragmatist in me says we don't have the KP stocks to trade Tom (unless we get a gun KP in), and these kids are such guns that a much, much better player than Tom will be required to get one anyway.

You are probably correct on both points. Just throwing it out there for discussion. I would be disappointed if Hawkins was to leave and I don't yet think we are at that stage, but sometimes you have to accept that a player like Hawkins may not reach the heights that we all hope for. We may be better off trading him whilst he has some currency.

Leave it too long - as St Kilda perhaps has done with Kozi - and you are left with nothing either way.

Whether at the moment he would be enough to gain one of those picks is also debatable. He is still young, and big bodied KPF aren't readily available. I would think he would more than fit the profile that GWS would be after. I suppose it comes down to what other clubs will be prepared to give up.

It sounds like the kid O'Meara is a gun and will be highly sort after.

I'm under the impression that the Omera kid may want to stay in WA. Perhaps the only clubs he would be prepared to deal with is those two. We have been linked with Stringer but thats probably gone now with such a bad injury.

Hawkins reminds me of Leigh Brown , hopefully he doesn't take his third club before working our that he can play at the level.

The irony of the Father Son Draft is the Tom Hawkins Pick basically compelled the AFL to change the system. He was considered a player worthy of top5 and for us to get Selwood and Hawkins for a R3 pick was looked upon with envious eyes by many other clubs that have never had a FS. If the system had been in then we would have had to choose , use our p7 on Tom or let him go. I doubt we would have both he and Joel. We probably paid what he was worth around P40ish for player of his ability.

The old Lindsay Gaze saying on talls and small is probably apt for Tom. Let me paraphrase.
If your short you have 5 minutes to show me you can play. If you are tall you have 5 years to show me you can't.
Time is ticking for Tom , Vardy came in and looked good. If Brown comes in and kicks goals that will be additional pressure again. Tick,Tick,Tick.

Would I trade him? Probably not unless the deal was super and he wanted a change.

He's the god of thunder PO, I'm sure we could make an exception :D

I think we are not that far from another Premiership. Yes we need to get better in some areas but we are setting ourselves up nicely not to fall down the ladder.

We will know by years end anyway.

However if I am right and we seem like a team maybe only a good key position player missing to be a Premiership team - then I say we look very hard at getting such a player - even if we trade some players or picks.

Ottens has proven that one really good trade can be worth it.

If Hawkins and / or Mackie fail this year - or there seems a better option coming thru - then you have to consider such things at the end of the year.

For now I shall wait and see - Hawkins may yet improve over the season.

I just think these two players are the most under the pump (and maybe Josh Hunt) - and might attract some interest.

I can see a great midfield for the foreseeable future. As long as Scarlett plays on - I think we have the players to maintain an excellent defence.

Just we are a bit light in the forward line re KP marking player - the one that always draws 2 defenders to spoil. With that player we become even more potent - and closer to another Premiership.

I am starting to look to Vardy as the most likely to help out Pods. I sure hope the kid can play well in his first year of big time footy.

If not look at trading.

He's the god of thunder PO, I'm sure we could make an exception :D

You really want that Thor kid don't you mate ;)

You are probably correct on both points. Just throwing it out there for discussion. I would be disappointed if Hawkins was to leave and I don't yet think we are at that stage, but sometimes you have to accept that a player like Hawkins may not reach the heights that we all hope for. We may be better off trading him whilst he has some currency.

Leave it too long - as St Kilda perhaps has done with Kozi - and you are left with nothing either way.

Whether at the moment he would be enough to gain one of those picks is also debatable. He is still young, and big bodied KPF aren't readily available. I would think he would more than fit the profile that GWS would be after. I suppose it comes down to what other clubs will be prepared to give up.

It sounds like the kid O'Meara is a gun and will be highly sort after.

He wants to stay home, has knocked back interest from the Pies and a few other clubs. There will probably be a massive bidding war b/w Freo and Weagles for him because trust me he can play BIG time.

In any case even if things were different I feel we need a gun tall and I'd only be interested in the GWS trading thing if we could get that type.

8 of our 9 picks in the last 2 years main drafts have been either midfielders or quasi mids (i.e. versatile medium sized Wells favourite types who can play across all three lines) and all of them (apart from Smedts who we sadly won't see until next year) have shown us thst they are quite good players. Talls is where we need to go for the next year or two, and we need to get it right.

He wants to stay home, has knocked back interest from the Pies and a few other clubs. There will probably be a massive bidding war b/w Freo and Weagles for him because trust me he can play BIG time.

In any case even if things were different I feel we need a gun tall and I'd only be interested in the GWS trading thing if we could get that type.

8 of our 9 picks in the last 2 years main drafts have been either midfielders or quasi mids (i.e. versatile medium sized Wells favourite types who can play across all three lines) and all of them (apart from Smedts who we sadly won't see until next year) have shown us thst they are quite good players. Talls is where we need to go for the next year or two, and we need to get it right.

Of these highly rated 17 year olds, are any of them of KP potential P_O?

I wonder what type of money would be a "shake some ripe fruit from the tree". What offer would be do-able for someone like Lynch at GC.

At the end of this year they will probably get a R2 Priority Pick , something around 27 I think , so they will have 4,27,28 plus any other picks like our Ablett pick if they chose to use it, so maybe 4,11,27,28. They are in love with getting as many picks they can in the next 3 to 4 years , so they will have several players that they will lose along the way.

My point is they have to reduce numbers and they will probably more picks than required so they will have to cut or trade.

One approach would be to offer our Ablett pick & our R1 and a truckload of cash to get this kid.Would it be enough? He looks like a mark machine. But unlike our young Brown he has a bit of size about him .

Its just a pipe dream probably but at the very least, it would signal to that mob , that we are coming for them.

I love Lynch and he has great hands. TBH kids like that won't be traded by GC, even though they've got a lot of talls so they'll probably want to get rid of some, but they will be the more speculative ones. Standout talents like Lynch won't be traded unless at the end of 2012 they decide they want to go home, and nominate us as their club of choice, then we've got leverage. You would only offer the Ablett pick under the right circumstances for a very very good player because depending on our ladder position it would be very valuable to us.

Of these highly rated 17 year olds, are any of them of KP potential P_O?

Unfortunately none of the talls that I really rate among this year's crop are in that Jan-Apr 94 GWS players window. There's a lot of very very good young players in that group, but no KPP/rucks etc.

Unfortunately none of the talls that I really rate among this year's crop are in that Jan-Apr 94 GWS players window. There's a lot of very very good young players in that group, but no KPP/rucks etc.
And you'd be pretty brave taking a punt on a 17yr old KPP. Extreme example but at age 17 Mitch Brown wasn't KPP size and as a result he was running around for Mentone Grammar, not Sandy.

And just as an aside - Troy Menzel's running around for the Centrals U18s. Not eligible until next year but my mail is he's better than his brother at this stage...

(Log in to remove this ad.)

And you'd be pretty brave taking a punt on a 17yr old KPP. Extreme example but at age 17 Mitch Brown wasn't KPP size and as a result he was running around for Mentone Grammar, not Sandy.

Yep true.

From memory young Tom Lynch wasn't even a forward either until his last yar where he had a growth spurt, so at 17 you'd have found it very hard to predict what and how good he'd be.

Every few years, there is the odd 17 yo tall that we're all extremely confident will be good at the top level from the get go, but they are comparatively rare.

Personally I'd prefer we kept the ablett pick, rather than look to any gws trading, and depending on the strength of next year's draft, try and wheel it out so we've got 2 first round picks, and draft the best talls we can with both.

It would take a brave recruiter to trade for one of these 4 U17 players this year from GWS. Surely you would wait the extra year to further prove you get what you pay for? In the recruiting world, one year is a very long time.

With that thought in mind, I really doubt any of the 4 U17 players will be KPP's.

It would take a brave recruiter to trade for one of these 4 U17 players this year from GWS. Surely you would wait the extra year to further prove you get what you pay for? In the recruiting world, one year is a very long time.

With that thought in mind, I really doubt any of the 4 U17 players will be KPP's.

Most good recruiters can pick the absolute cream at 17 (and absolute cream is what these 4 kids will be) but yes I agree it's less risky doing that with a mid or a smaller player than it is a KPP who can grow late in the piece, and take longer to develop. So yep I agree with you the 4 will probably be smalls. If this post on the drafts and trading board is to be believed then OMeara will be one of them:

I will declare my hand I know the O'Meara family, spoke to his old man three weeks ago.
He said that they are hoping one of the two wa clubs win a trade to gws.

So Jaeger can stay in WA, if they cant get a trade he will wait out for the draft next year.

Collingwood through Andrew Lockyer the former WA under 18 coach now collingwood's wa recruiting manager, has been into him a big way.

Jaeger hasn't been interested in going to Collingwood and told them so, but his old man is very impressed with Collingwood's professional approach.
Apart from WCE and Freo they have been the next club to keep in constant contact with them.
And yes he is very good in the Cotchin class as a junior.

I suspect the other this year will be Ben Kennedy to one of the SA clubs, probably Port as they will put a number of senior players on the trade block to go back to choco.

GWS might keep the other two for next year in which case WA midfielder Jack Martin looks a likely one.

As I understand it by waiting you miss on the players eligible this year.

To be honest we are talking the absolute cream of kids. If you went thru the best players in the league , nearly all of them would have stood out as juniors. Selwood for instance or Judd. You may say , KPP players are far harder to pick , maybe but I think there would be little doubt that if we could have picked Kruzier as a 17 we would have taken him. Of course we would have taken Hawkins too.
I think if we were lucky enough to get in our a trade like that , the key would be to just get the best kid we could. Focus on the skill set not the size of the package its in.

What with the concentration on mid/smalls drafted over the last few years, somehow we've got to snare a couple of decent talls, this time round it has to be our primary focus.
Every time I see Jack Darling for the WCE, I keep thinking, told you so!
Anyhow what's done is done, high time for some choice key post players, even a mature type, someone mentioned Taylor Walker, at even a fair price would be interesting.
No good being to stingy either!
By the way, how big is Troy Menzel?

Last year i was stoked with smedts. Now this year i would like us to take Sam Gordan.

He is a geelong college boy at 197cm with an excellent mark.

He booted 10 goals in first 3 games for the Falcons then went back to Geelong Grammer.

Playing for Vic country against tasmania.

Not sure what range pick he will go but he looks like he will become a very good footballer.

Just done some research on him and it looks like he will be well gone before our pick, think i read AIS scholarship holder too.

What with the concentration on mid/smalls drafted over the last few years, somehow we've got to snare a couple of decent talls, this time round it has to be our primary focus.
Every time I see Jack Darling for the WCE, I keep thinking, told you so!
Anyhow what's done is done, high time for some choice key post players, even a mature type, someone mentioned Taylor Walker, at even a fair price would be interesting.
No good being to stingy either!
By the way, how big is Troy Menzel?

I thought Troy was eligible for 2012 draft no?

As I've said , Gordon has been compared to JB but Shhhs , lets not ramp it up to much Patton, Elton and the rest will be gone , lets just hope we pick up a slider.

Menzel Jr. I doubt we will target him just because of his surname. We didn't Scott Selwood so why would we with Troy? Of course if he is the right player etc fine

http://www.afl.com.au/news/newsarticle/tabid/208/newsid/115347/default.aspx

Round 1 Squads:
-Beau Black named for the RAMS
-Be interesting to see how Frost goes I wanted to see Talia but he got a slight injury last week I think
-Elton (please slide, please slide) and Gordon up forward for Country with Piva Wright at the back
-No Boseley yet

Remove this Banner Ad

2011 Potential Draftee and Trade Watch

Remove this Banner Ad

Back