2011 Season

Remove this Banner Ad

Seems as though Mark Sarau is a fair hypocrite, after spending the preseason whinging in the paper about other sides trying to recruit Rutherglen's players he has been vulturing around himself mid-season!! First Chris Oates gets dropped from Corowa's senior side and he is straight on the phone and now he is at it again with young Declan Stewart. Surely country clubs should be supporting these kids trying to better their footy, not dragging them back!!!

Seems as though Mark Sarau is a fair hypocrite, after spending the preseason whinging in the paper about other sides trying to recruit Rutherglen's players he has been vulturing around himself mid-season!! First Chris Oates gets dropped from Corowa's senior side and he is straight on the phone and now he is at it again with young Declan Stewart. Surely country clubs should be supporting these kids trying to better their footy, not dragging them back!!!

Lion its a free country so alls fair in the recruiting game but Oats will never be a O&M player and the other bloke has n't the mindset to play for his teamates so no real loss

I think you're missing the point, Sarau is a hypocrite that should be looking to strengthen ties with the clubs around him. He certainly doesn't practice what he preaches! Just a scavenger at work!

Chris Oats came back off his own bat, wasnt enjoying his footy at Corowa, And from what i heard Declan also came to him to "chat".
I also thinks its a big call saying Sarau is a vulture or scavenger, Last time i checked these blokes are adults and make their own decisions. Any coach in the league would love to be approached by young players with O&M experience, and a coach that dismissed them off hand because they "should be looking to strengthen ties with the clubs around him" is falling short of doing all he can to win games, which is what he is paid to do.

If you knew the man at all you would know that he wants to be surrounded by players who WANT to play for him and the club, he dosnt go after players with promises and $$$

Superstar you can try and word it what ever way you want, the facts are:

He whinged about other clubs trying to recruit Rutherglen players in the preseason.
He has approached two young players trying to play at a higher level when it wasn't quite going their way.
He has approached them midseason after they had made a commtiment to another club.

What ever way you look at it Sarau, in this case, has acted in a hypocritical manner, looking after his own interests in front of these two kids who were attempting to play at a higher level.

Superstar you can try and word it what ever way you want, the facts are:

He whinged about other clubs trying to recruit Rutherglen players in the preseason. - Correct
He has approached two young players trying to play at a higher level when it wasn't quite going their way. Wrong
He has approached them midseason after they had made a commtiment to another club. Wrong

What ever way you look at it Sarau, in this case, has acted in a hypocritical manner, looking after his own interests in front of these two kids who were attempting to play at a higher level. Wrong

1 from 4 - get your facts right. Sounds to me like your a whinging Wahgunyah wanka - I reckon you have got better things to do rather than talking shit on here. Can I suggest maybe starting with selling raffle tickets so you can help pay for your $1200 a game full forward. Both kids wanted to come home as they were not enjoying their footy. Every chance they will head back when the times right and if Sarua is at the cattery when they do I am sure he will support the move.

Lion its a free country so alls fair in the recruiting game but Oats will never be a O&M player and the other bloke has n't the mindset to play for his teamates so no real loss

Kev from Baldale, Velvet Lion, it is always interesting to come onto big footy and read comments made by blokes like you who have no real idea but seem happy to sling mud from behind a computer screen nonetheless.

I’d imagine at least one of you is a bitter Corowa supporter. Kev, you and your club have no one to blame but yourselves. The trend of good young juniors walking out on your club has had to ring bells by now. Stewart, Oats, Hill, Kerlin, Potts and Northey to name a few, at what point does it become a loss? Surely you have to take a step back and wonder what’s making these kids all of a sudden decide to pull up stumps mid season. You can only roll out those tired one liners of attitude problems and Tossol’s influence for so long before you have to realise there must be something else going on. Keep telling yourselves it’s ‘no real loss’ as the boys walk out the door and we’ll see how Corowa goes over the next couple of years. Here’s hoping you can hold your breath until Bardy, Dasher and Juicy Kingston’s kids come through. Good luck to you.

Lion, I’m presuming you are a Lion, Declan had calls from Wahgunyah as well so stop carrying on.

I have spoken to both boys, Declan told me he was on the verge of walking away from the game altogether. It's probably fair to assume that his brother, who plays for Rutherglen would have to have known and told Sarau.
Oats wasn’t enjoying it at Corowa, granted, he wasn’t going to set the O&M on fire but he was good enough to get a start in that senior side, if you’re going to bring the kid up to sit on your bench for three quarters then you’re not doing him any favours. His mates and family convinced him that he’d made a bad decision going over and he came back, simple as that.

Supercat, while he is now back in his hometown I wouldn't say Declan is 'home', he's played one season there in the 4ths and that was on a permit from Corowa under 14's!

What is everyone's thoughts on the season so far?

Have seen most sides play year to date and personally think that Wahgunyah will be the side to beat. That is providing they keep Robertson, Pierri and Hicks fit and firing.
Think that Thurgoona will be a close second with perhaps Mitta rounding out the top three.
Nice to see the Saints media release last week. Good to see them trying to move the club forwards.
Cooks effort against Saints certainly a talking point. Halliday followed it up with a bag of his own the following week and never rated a mention in the local media.....

Interleague this week will be a no brainer. Hume League by 10 - 12 goals.

I was discussing this yesterday with someone that the TDFL might be in some strife Friday night.

I have a theory on this though and would be interested in hearing other peoples views.

The Hume League are fortunate that each of their clubs have a couple of byes during the year allowing their players to freshen up from niggling injuries and get away for a weekend.

The Tallangatta league are not as fortunate and generally pencil in this weekend as an opportunity to get away. Other than this weekend and the split round she's non stop for the season.

While I think it'd be a honor for most people to play in it, I reckon some are looking for a bit of a break. With that being said, I'll be there enjoying a few refreshments and watching the spectacle unfold.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

What is everyone's thoughts on the season so far?

Have seen most sides play year to date and personally think that Wahgunyah will be the side to beat. That is providing they keep Robertson, Pierri and Hicks fit and firing.
Think that Thurgoona will be a close second with perhaps Mitta rounding out the top three.
Nice to see the Saints media release last week. Good to see them trying to move the club forwards.
Cooks effort against Saints certainly a talking point. Halliday followed it up with a bag of his own the following week and never rated a mention in the local media.....

Interleague this week will be a no brainer. Hume League by 10 - 12 goals.
how can you say this when thurgoona defeated wahgunyah ? i know not by alot but from all reports thurgoona stop in the last quarter after having a lead of about 7 or 8 goals and i think doonan hutchins gostlew and stead if they are all firing and fit will cause more trouble then robertson pierri and hicks and you forgot one from the lions what about king he is a gun

I was discussing this yesterday with someone that the TDFL might be in some strife Friday night.

I have a theory on this though and would be interested in hearing other peoples views.

The Hume League are fortunate that each of their clubs have a couple of byes during the year allowing their players to freshen up from niggling injuries and get away for a weekend.

The Tallangatta league are not as fortunate and generally pencil in this weekend as an opportunity to get away. Other than this weekend and the split round she's non stop for the season.

While I think it'd be a honor for most people to play in it, I reckon some are looking for a bit of a break. With that being said, I'll be there enjoying a few refreshments and watching the spectacle unfold.

very, very good point.

Season so far, well Thurgoona are the team to beat I feel. But footy is a strange game at times. All the hype, expectation and reliant on doggy guns to fire may bring them unstuck at the business end of the season. Wahgunyah Lions must be te real deal sitting in second spot. Have some quality players in the line up that don't get the same media and league reviews as the thuroongas, mittas and KSC players. Word is the lions just picked up a quality senior O & M Player in the last couple of weeks and he is getting a lot of the ball. They also may have more on the go. AND your right I have seen that KING play. He is a gun. Mitta will be dangerous with the NELSON boys to get fitter. Barny cruising nicely and KSC rounding out the five showing climpses of quality footy. And then Beechworth who never can be discounted. All in all, could be a very even final serious with LUCK to play a huge role.

As for this friday night, one feels that the Hume leagues quality midfield players and the big howlong forward down deep may be to strong, espically with a lot of quality Tall. players unavailable.

Season so far, well Thurgoona are the team to beat I feel. But footy is a strange game at times. All the hype, expectation and reliant on doggy guns to fire may bring them unstuck at the business end of the season. Wahgunyah Lions must be te real deal sitting in second spot. Have some quality players in the line up that don't get the same media and league reviews as the thuroongas, mittas and KSC players. Word is the lions just picked up a quality senior O & M Player in the last couple of weeks and he is getting a lot of the ball. They also may have more on the go. AND your right I have seen that KING play. He is a gun. Mitta will be dangerous with the NELSON boys to get fitter. Barny cruising nicely and KSC rounding out the five showing climpses of quality footy. And then Beechworth who never can be discounted. All in all, could be a very even final serious with LUCK to play a huge role.

As for this friday night, one feels that the Hume leagues quality midfield players and the big howlong forward down deep may be to strong, espically with a lot of quality Tall. players unavailable.

Have seen all but 2 teams play so far and would agree Thurgoona top to date followed by Wahgunyah.
Mitta way too slow to match it with either. Nelson boys and a couple of others wouldn't run out of sight in a dark night.

My first choice Interleague side for this weekend:
From the backline:

M Lewis (KSC) Gar Pritchard (Bee) J Gentile (DMB)
D O'Neill (Chil) N Kerlin (Wah) Jas Bartel (KSC)
Hales (Mit) Surrey (Bee) Kay (Ruth)
Donnan (Thur) Russell (Tal) Hicks (Wah)
Stead (Thur) Pierri (Wah) Cook (Bar
Rucks
Spink (Tal) Stewart (Mit) King (Wah)
I/C
Clayton (Yac) Hutchins (Thur) Seymour (Ruth) Spence (Bar).

Obviously haven't seen every team so a lot is based on stats. It will be interesting to see who plays and who really supports Interleague footy.

Both team's for tomorrow night, along with a full mid-season review of both leagues are both in today's Border Mail mate.

And as good as that side you put together is, unfortunately most of those blokes are injured/unavailable!

Signing with Albury as we speak.
I think you'll find him staying at Raiders, as all their senior players sign contracts. Same reason Dan Ladgrove had to stay with them after Barny made a big offer as he could only train one night a week due to work commitments. Now he sits in their 2's in a sub standard reserve grade competition.:thumbsdown:

My first choice Interleague side for this weekend:
From the backline:

M Lewis (KSC) Gar Pritchard (Bee) J Gentile (DMB)
D O'Neill (Chil) N Kerlin (Wah) Jas Bartel (KSC)
Hales (Mit) Surrey (Bee) Kay (Ruth)
Donnan (Thur) Russell (Tal) Hicks (Wah)
Stead (Thur) Pierri (Wah) Cook (Bar
Rucks
Spink (Tal) Stewart (Mit) King (Wah)
I/C
Clayton (Yac) Hutchins (Thur) Seymour (Ruth) Spence (Bar).

Obviously haven't seen every team so a lot is based on stats. It will be interesting to see who plays and who really supports Interleague footy.

It is good to see you are having a crack at putting a side together AP. My question is, why for the life of you would you load the forward line with five big, tall, selfish forwards, and another who is not a roving forward? Aren't smalls rated in a forward line these days, especially when the game is being played on a greasy track?

It is good to see you are having a crack at putting a side together AP. My question is, why for the life of you would you load the forward line with five big, tall, selfish forwards, and another who is not a roving forward? Aren't smalls rated in a forward line these days, especially when the game is being played on a greasy track?

Aah yes, was waiting for the guys who ridicule my side, and then not have the guts to put their own in. Feel free to lodge your side. I am interested to know who are the quality goalkicking small forwards are in the TDFL at the moment. (or "roving" forwards as you call them) and how your team will go without at least a couple of the "big, tall, selfish forwards".

Remove this Banner Ad

2011 Season

Remove this Banner Ad

Back