2011 Top 8 Predictions

Remove this Banner Ad

Do you seriously know that little about Essendon's list? More than half of Essendon's senior list are made up of players 22 or under.

22 or under = 20

24 or under = 6

26 or under = 5

28 or under = 3

30 or under = 2

30+ = 1

He was referring to the lack of quality players on your list, not their age.

Zaharakis
Neagle
Myers
Jetta
Howlett
Hocking
Dempsey
Colyer

None of those players are actually going to make it. You can disagree, but I don't rate those players.

That isn't even including mid-age players, who aren't up to it, like:

Atkinson
Davey
Dyson
Lovett Murray
Mcveigh
Prismall
Slattery
Williams

So because you don't rate them that means they aren't going to make it. Colyer and Howlett and just finished their first season and Zaharakis his second. Hocking has improved heaps and Jetta has started hitting his straps. Also Prismall has had 1 down season.

If you truely believe all those young players won't make it then you truely know nothing about our list.

Collingwood
St kilda
Fremantle
Hawthorn
Bulldogs
Geelong
Carlton
Adelaide
Melbourne
Sydney

these are the contenders IMO, it's hard for me to see which 2 of them will miss out

Zaharakis
Neagle - agree
Myers
Jetta
Howlett
Hocking
Dempsey
Colyer

None of those players are actually going to make it. You can disagree, but I don't rate those players.

You're entitled to your opinion but I'd say you haven't watched them develop.

That isn't even including mid-age players, who aren't up to it, like:

Atkinson - agree
Davey
Dyson - agree
Lovett Murray - agree
Mcveigh - agree
Prismall
Slattery - agree
Williams

So the crux of our problem is our mid-age players - no shit.

Davey was our leading goal-scorer and his defensive pressure is unbelievable. Prismall, very maligned, no star but finds space and finds the ball. Would be much better in a team travelling well. Williams will prove his doubters wrong.

1: pies
2: saints
3: freo
4: geelong
5: bulldogs
6: hawks
7: north
8: carlton/hawks/melb

im looking forward to watching freo and north
alot of talent in both teams.
looking forward to watching my boys play but experience from the higher teams will just get the better of them.

Thanks for clarifying. So after finishing 6 points ahead of Essendon, Melbourne have a team of champions?

Incidentally, 2 of those young players he was referring to finished top 10 in our best and fairest - Hocking and Howlett.

I didn't say I agreed with him, but relative to Essendeon, yes, Melbourne are a team of champions.

The last line was a joke btw, I think the bombers will be much better now that you've changed your coach.

Here is my predicted ladder:

1. Collingwood
2. St Kilda
3. Adelaide
4. Geelong
5. Dogs
6. Freo
7. Hawks
8. Melbourne

9. Sydney
10. Carlton
11. North Melbourne
12. Gold Coast
13. Richmond
14. Brisbane
15. Port
16. Essendon
17. West Coast

Runs on a few assumptions:
- Despite their terrible start in 2010, Adelaide can fix this in 2011.
- Gold Coast will have teething problems and it will take a year for them to gel as a side - if they do beforehand they could finish higher than 12th.
- Freo continue along the path that they were last year.
- Hird can't singlehandedly fix the bombers list in one year. I don't think he can and despite what essendon supporters may hope he will have a very hard year with many beltings.
- Brisbane continue to implode - will vossy last the whole year if they stuff things up on a big scale?
- Numbers 7-10 at least are interchangeable - Hawthorn should have enough to get them where they are but I don't think they are good enough to go higher & melbourne should continue to improve but I wouldn't be surprised to see the swans finish in the 8 again.

Why do people continuely underate Sydney they make the top 8 easy and wouldn't be surprised if they make top 4.

Because most people are morons. Apparently we're going to be running around like headless chickens without Roos.

My top 8:

1.Collingwood (clearly ahead of the rest of the pack,i don't see a hangover on the horizon)
2.St kilda (still a quality team, don't think they'll make another GF but should be good during the year)
3.Sydney (third easiest draw, plus we got 5th on the backs of young blokes, young blokes who will get better and if bradshaw plays a majority of the season i think we are a lock for top 4)
4.Fremantle (rising up the ladder along with sydney, still on the way up, should have a good year if they fulfill their potential,2012 GF for this team)
5.Geelong (losing your coach and best player will hurt, will still be a threat)
6.Hawthorn (they are very overrated, not a top 4 side and i wouldnt be surprised if they dont even make the 8)
7.Bulldogs (the beginning of the decline imo, not a top 4 team any longer)
8.Carlton (8th by default, melbourne and richmond arent quite here yet, one more year of finals footy for carlton)

1. Collingwood - Even list, very strong gameplan
2. St. Kilda - Too many stars to disregard
3. Fremantle - On the rise
4. Bulldogs - If Hall fires one last time they could shake things up
5. Carlton - Bias
6. Hawthorn - Super midfield, Very strong forward line
7. Geelong - Difficult to see them much lower than this
8. Sydney - Will suffer as Roos leaves, older players degrade

9. North - Very close again, still need bigger bodies on the kids, Harvey/Rawlings getting past it
10. Melbourne - Similiar to North, need more experiance in the kids
11. Adelaide - Midfield won't cut it against the top 8
12. Brisbane - Transition will be rough, Brown will win them games, too many players leaving/getting older
13. Gold Coast - Needs time to gel as a team, Ablett will win at least three games off his own boot
14. Richmond - still hard times ahead
15. Port Adelaide - Needs a re-build
16. West Coast - they have some of the pieces, not enough
17. Essendon - will be very hard, good luck to Hird

1. Collingwood
2. Carlton
3. St Kilda
4. Sydney
5. Dogs
6. Hawthorn
7. Fremantle
8. Melbourne
9. Geelong
10. North
11. Adelaide
12. Richmond
13. Port
14. Brisbane
15. Essendon
16. West Coast
17. Gold Coast

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Pies
Saints
Dockers
Cats
---------
Hawks
Dogs
Demons
Blues
--------
--------
Swans
Crows
Tigers
Kangaroos
--------
Power
Lions
Suns
Eagles
Bombers
---------

This is exactly how it will happen, mark it down :thumbsu:
How can you be so sure? Anything can happen between now and the end of round 22 2011...

3.Sydney (third easiest draw, plus we got 5th on the backs of young blokes, young blokes who will get better and if bradshaw plays a majority of the season i think we are a lock for top 4)

If I was a betting man I wouldn't touch anything less than 5/1.

Do you seriously know that little about Essendon's list? More than half of Essendon's senior list are made up of players 22 or under.

22 or under = 20

24 or under = 6

26 or under = 5

28 or under = 3

30 or under = 2

30+ = 1

Mate, don't try and argue with melbourne supporters. D#^@heads. All of em.

But yeah on the back of a great 2010 - wait - I can understand the excitement among Melbourne supporters about next season.

I have posted the Melbourne best and fairest to highlight this supremely talented young list everyone speaks of.

2010 Keith ‘Bluey’ Truscott Memorial Trophy
1 - Brad Green (295) - 30 in 2010
2 - James Frawley (277)
3 - Mark Jamar (231) - 28
4 - Aaron Davey (194) - 28
5 - Colin Sylvia (170)
6 - Cameron Bruce (168) - 32
7 - Brent Moloney (166) - 27
8 - Tom Scully (154)
9 - Colin Garland, James McDonald (149) - one of them is so old he was forced to retire.
10 - Jordie McKenzie (148)

Wait a minute these guys are being carried by a 30 year old, two 28 year olds, a 32 year old, a 27 year old and a captain who won't even show up next season.

Just wait for the fall. I predict Melbourne to win less games than the Gold Coast and Essendon in 2011.

1. Collingwood (it pains me to say but theres just no real reason why they aren't the obvious choice)
2. St Kilda (relies on the hunger being there, I do believe the Saints can improve)
3. Fremantle (all upside as has been said, Sandi-Barlow-Pav plus kids will be absolutely formidable at home)
4. Geelong (players are aging and they've lost Thompson and GAb, but this side can and will continue to bring it)
5. Sydney (great recruiting and kids, loss of Roos not certain to hurt because of succession)
6. Hawthorn (possibly bad logic but their last two seasons just don't suggest amazing things in '11)
7. Western Bulldogs (have injected some potentially great players, but my guess is 2012 will be better than 2011)
8. Carlton (will once again have a very similar year, ahead of Melbourne on the assumption their #1 picks fire)

9. Melbourne (soft draw and on the rise, just to miss but could go higher for sure)
10. Adelaide (don't really see why everyone is jumping on them to fire in '11...)
11. North Melbourne (better than most people think but not quite there, brutal draw)
12. Port Adelaide (no players to improve out of sight, nor drop off significantly)
13. Richmond (slowly on the up)
14. Brisbane (have lost players, rumours of 'bad culture', possibly higher or lower depending on Brown output)
15. Essendon (no good at all)
16. Gold Coast (should be better than WC, just)
17. West Coast (horrible and I see no urgency for growth or change)

Collingwood
Hawthorn
Saint kilda
Western Bulldogs
Geelong
Fremantle
Sydney
Carlton
Melbourne
North Melbourne
Adelaide Crows
Brisbane Lions
Richmond
Essendon
Port adelaide
Gold Coast suns
West coast eagles

Collingwood
St kilda
Fremantle
Hawthorn
Bulldogs
Geelong
Carlton
Adelaide
Melbourne
Sydney

these are the contenders IMO, it's hard for me to see which 2 of them will miss out

Melbourne and Adelaide to miss IMO.

That will be the 8 teams I think.

God there is some rubbish being posted in here though.

I refuse to believe some people truthfully believe some of the things they post sometimes.

Mate, don't try and argue with melbourne supporters. D#^@heads. All of em.

But yeah on the back of a great 2010 - wait - I can understand the excitement among Melbourne supporters about next season.

I have posted the Melbourne best and fairest to highlight this supremely talented young list everyone speaks of.

2 - James Frawley (277)
5 - Colin Sylvia (170)
8 - Tom Scully (154)
9 - Colin Garland, James McDonald (149) - one of them is so old he was forced to retire.

Wait a minute these guys are being carried by a 30 year old, two 28 year olds, a 32 year old, a 27 year old and a captain who won't even show up next season.

Just wait for the fall. I predict Melbourne to win less games than the Gold Coast and Essendon in 2011.

Wow, just wow, and you call us ********s?

Wow, just wow, and you call us ********s?
I'm not sure what you're swearing about, but if it's the fact that he thinks you have a reliance on older players, I think that's a pretty fair line to argue.

For mine, Green, Davey, and Jamar are your most important players, and had better seasons than Harvey and Rawlings anyways (perhaps not Davey).

If Rawlings is set to decline because of his age, then so would be Green. But Green is more important to Melbourne than Rawlings (and quite possibly Harvey too) to North.

I think the only thing that seperates the two teams this year is the difficulty of their draws.

2 - James Frawley (277)
5 - Colin Sylvia (170)
8 - Tom Scully (154)

Interesting.

North by comparison:

1. Brent Harvey - 32
1, Brady Rawlings - 29
3. Andrew Swallow - 23
4. Leigh Adams - 22
5. Daniel Wells - 25
6. Michael Firrito - 26
7. Nathan Grima - 24
8. Levi Greenwood - 23
9. Todd Goldstein - 22
10. Ryan Bastinac - 19

We compare very favorably to Melbourne on the age factor.

Strangely, many pundits favor Melbourne over North in their 2011 top 8 predictions because North supposedly rely too heavily on the old blokes.:confused:

Remove this Banner Ad

2011 Top 8 Predictions

Remove this Banner Ad

Back