2011 Top 8 Predictions

Remove this Banner Ad

The pundits claiming North rely too heavily on old blokes. I've never actually seen anyone say that as a reason they won't go forward.

Relying on old blokes is a better path to success than relying on young blokes.

Don't worry yourself too much.

You only have to look as far as the OP.

6. Melbourne - Easy draw should ensure that the Dees continue their climb.

13. North Melbourne - Tougher year for Kangas as Boomer and Rawlings age.

I have seen similiar sentiments expressed in a few other threads.

without injuries

1.Collingwood - no brainer
2.St Kilda - cant see why they would slide down, solid list
3.Bulldogs - injury free season should see permit success
4.Geelong - the decline begins but still hav gun players like bartel & selwood
5.Sydney - With goodes and a future superstar (K.Jack) they'l be up there
6.Carlton - underrated team imo, i ******* hate them tho
7.Freo - will win home games and lose away games
8.Hawks - great individual players, should be higher but wont be

9.North - probably one more year before really making an impact
10.Adelaide - ....they could finish anywhere from 4th - 14th, no idea
11.Richmond - younger players will only get better, hoping for 10 wins
12.Essendon - they beat stkilda TWICE last year, cant be a rabble
13.Port - dont really have a huge upside imo, average forward line (schultz)
14.Brisbane - Brown, black, power and fev will win a few off their ability
15.Gold Coast - need time, wont be terrible
16.West Coast - Have bottomed out
17.Melbourne - just because

collingwood

then in no order
geelong
bulldogs
hawks
saints
freo

then in no order
carlton
sydney
roos
demons

no order
power
dons
eagles
suns
lions
tiges

excluded crows as they could finish in any of the non-ordered groups.

I'm not sure what you're swearing about, but if it's the fact that he thinks you have a reliance on older players, I think that's a pretty fair line to argue.

For mine, Green, Davey, and Jamar are your most important players, and had better seasons than Harvey and Rawlings anyways (perhaps not Davey).

If Rawlings is set to decline because of his age, then so would be Green. But Green is more important to Melbourne than Rawlings (and quite possibly Harvey too) to North.

I think the only thing that seperates the two teams this year is the difficulty of their draws.

Mate, what are you on about? LOL, this thread is hilarious!!!!

Firstly, the guy I was responding to called all Melbourne supporters ********s, and secondly what has North got to do with it?

Fair dinkum, halloween has brought out all the nuffies.

Melbourne have the shortest forward line in the league. Think they will have to address this quickly

Oh dear :eek:

Richmonds five highest goal scorers for 2010 and their height

Reiwoldt 78 goals 193cm
Collins 15 186
Nason 14 179
Nahas 13 176
King 12 178

Melbourne's
Green 55 184
Dunn 26 192
Jurrah 21 188
Bate 19 192
Sylvia 16 186

Melbourne also have Watts (196) coming along very nicely and Fitzpatrick (200) & Gawn (208) Developing.

So, which forwardline is full of short people?

What a peanut :D

1. St Kilda - losing again strengthens them
2. Freo - 2010 + experience - injuries
3. Bulldogs - still strong
4. Sydney - if Craig Bolton returns, Bradshaw plays, biased
5. Geelong - no Ablett
6. Hawks - ?
7. Collingwood - to be different! Young list like Hawthorn 2009
8. Gold Coast - will surprise
9. Carlton - overrated
10. North
11. Adelaide - ?
12. Melbourne
13. Richmond
14. Port - ?
15. Essendon
16. Brisbane
17. West Coast

? not confident

krusden said:
- Despite their terrible start in 2010, Adelaide can fix this in 2011.

Well, Adelaide had a 0-6 start in 2010 and then 9-7 after that ... so indeed without that terrible start Adelaide would have been finalists one would think. I don't think Adelaide are capable of third though, even with a trouble-free run in 2010. To make the top 4 would be a better-than-expected outcome.

So ... how to avoid the terrible start? Just avoiding the terrible pre-season from hell that 2009/2010 was should do it, so as to avoid starting the season with a long injury list just at a time when every other side is fully fit and healthy. Avoiding the pre-season from hell should be do-able ... everyone said last year that the players were being pushed too hard in the pre-season, and maybe the coaches have heeded that lesson.

At least they have started OK, with no negative reports so far:
http://www.afc.com.au/news/newsarticle/tabid/4417/newsid/104785/default.aspx

Touch wood.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Reiwoldt 78 goals 193cm
Collins 15 186
Nason 14 179
Nahas 13 176
King 12 178

Melbourne's
Green 55 184
Dunn 26 192
Jurrah 21 188
Bate 19 192
Sylvia 16 186

Melbourne also have Watts (196) coming along very nicely and Fitzpatrick (200) & Gawn (208) Developing.

Don't worry about 2010 :cool:

Our forward line is:
griffiths(198cm) reiwoldt(195cm) taylor(189cm)
morton(186cm) post(195cm) king(178cm)

It's funny - given a slightly different turn of events in GF1 I wonder if this would be everyones opinion on this site.
It would absolutely make a huge difference of course because there would certainly be question marks regarding Collingwood's ability to win the premiership. As it turned out though Collingwood were very fortunate to have another opportunity to show that the drawn Grand Final was just an anomaly for various reasons. The experience gained from the first Grand Final helped a lot the following week, and the experience gained from playing in two Grand Finals should help them even more next season.
Collingwood - to be different! Young list like Hawthorn 2009
That's about the only thing the two teams have in common. The Collingwood team of 2010 was better than the Hawthorn team of 2008, and the Hawks lost key premiership players that they still have been unable to replace.

Collingwood hasn't lost any though, and in fact should be even stronger next season with Andrew Krakouer, Chris Tarrant and Brad Dick pushing for selection. The draw looks pretty good too, and I don't expect Collingwood to rest on their achievement as the Hawthorn players and coaches did in 2009.

Interesting.

North by comparison:

1. Brent Harvey - 32
1, Brady Rawlings - 29
3. Andrew Swallow - 23
4. Leigh Adams - 22
5. Daniel Wells - 25
6. Michael Firrito - 26
7. Nathan Grima - 24
8. Levi Greenwood - 23
9. Todd Goldstein - 22
10. Ryan Bastinac - 19

We compare very favorably to Melbourne on the age factor.

Strangely, many pundits favor Melbourne over North in their 2011 top 8 predictions because North supposedly rely too heavily on the old blokes.:confused:

I agree but in peoples' defense Melbourne do have more top draft picks! :rolleyes:

Don't get me wrong, plenty of talent on Melbourne's list... but North Melbourne are far more advanced in my honest opinion.

Reiwoldt 78 goals 193cm
Collins 15 186
Nason 14 179
Nahas 13 176
King 12 178

Melbourne's
Green 55 184
Dunn 26 192
Jurrah 21 188
Bate 19 192
Sylvia 16 186

Graham 201, Post 195, Griffiths 199 and Astbury 195 (kicked 3 goals on debut against Melbourne) all played forward in patches for Richmond. I think Graham is about to have a breakout year - the others need more developing.

The Collingwood team of 2010 was better than the Hawthorn team of 2008, and the Hawks lost key premiership players that they still have been unable to replace.

Crazy talk - Wouldn't have got near the '08 Hawks in a GF.
You guys still have trouble against us.

Graham 201, Post 195, Griffiths 199 and Astbury 195 (kicked 3 goals on debut against Melbourne) all played forward in patches for Richmond. I think Graham is about to have a breakout year - the others need more developing.

Graham probably got too bulky and slowed down a bit and lost a bit of leap. Hope he gets a bit fitter and trims down a couple of kilos. I'm excited about Post, Astbury and Griffiths. You rate Houli? I have him at half forward for Round 1 if he gets to us in the draft :cool:

Well, Adelaide had a 0-6 start in 2010 and then 9-7 after that ... so indeed without that terrible start Adelaide would have been finalists one would think. I don't think Adelaide are capable of third though, even with a trouble-free run in 2010. To make the top 4 would be a better-than-expected outcome.

i personally do & i believe from an outsider's point of view that top 4 is very do-able for adelaide only to be possibly replaced by freo/the dogs however I think adelaide has more x-factors than those two sides such as dangerfield for one and taylor walker for another.
The only query is how much lost with Bock leaving and mcleod/edwards/goodwin retiring?

Collingwood
Western Bulldogs
St Kilda
Geelong
Hawthorn
Carlton
Sydney Swans
Fremantle

North Melbourne
Melbourne
Adelaide
Essendon
Port Adelaide
Brisbane Lions
Richmond
West Coast
Gold Coast

i personally do & i believe from an outsider's point of view that top 4 is very do-able for adelaide only to be possibly replaced by freo/the dogs however I think adelaide has more x-factors than those two sides such as dangerfield for one and taylor walker for another.
The only query is how much lost with Bock leaving and mcleod/edwards/goodwin retiring?

For some reason in 2010 Bock was a bit of a liability ... he somehow turned himself into a turnover king.

Here is a top ten list, in order, from Adelaide 2010 best and fairest votes:

http://www.contestedfooty.com/2010/09/adelaide-best-and-fairest-2010-–-malcolm-blight-medal/

Of the names you listed, only Goodwin (8th, 22 votes) features in the list.

Mentioned in the article however are Scott Stevens and Phil Davis ... so there hopefully won't be too much trouble replacing Bock. As I said, Bock barely made a contribution in 2010.

So it boils down to Goodwin for Tambling, I suppose. I'd pick Goodwin normally, but Tambling is at least much younger, and quicker.

BTW, apart from Goodwin ... most of the nine wins the Crows did manage later in 2010 were won without McLeod or Edwards playing.

I agree but in peoples' defense Melbourne do have more top draft picks! :rolleyes:

Don't get me wrong, plenty of talent on Melbourne's list... but North Melbourne are far more advanced in my honest opinion.

LOL that people are comparing the age of the top ten of best and fairests to see who has the more young talent :eek::eek:

I'm sure Essendon has a younger top 10 B+F than Melbourne or North, doesn't change the fact that it is possibly the worst top 10 in the competition.

For some reason in 2010 Bock was a bit of a liability ... he somehow turned himself into a turnover king.

Here is a top ten list, in order, from Adelaide 2010 best and fairest votes:

http://www.contestedfooty.com/2010/09/adelaide-best-and-fairest-2010-–-malcolm-blight-medal/

Of the names you listed, only Goodwin (8th, 22 votes) features in the list.

Mentioned in the article however are Scott Stevens and Phil Davis ... so there hopefully won't be too much trouble replacing Bock. As I said, Bock barely made a contribution in 2010.

So it boils down to Goodwin for Tambling, I suppose. I'd pick Goodwin normally, but Tambling is at least much younger, and quicker.

BTW, apart from Goodwin ... most of the nine wins the Crows did manage later in 2010 were won without McLeod or Edwards playing.

perhaps so, but the crows didnt make finals this year either

Fully fit, Bock is arguably the best CHB in the comp

That being said i think the loss will be covered however...i really rate Talia and Phil Davis looks really good too.

I can see the crows finishing as high as 5th but as low as 9th, it all depends on how they start

Remove this Banner Ad

2011 Top 8 Predictions

Remove this Banner Ad

Back