Mega Thread 2011 Trade Talk (not draft talk)

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
As much as it would make draft day less fun. Pick 8 for Tippett is a good deal.

We have a young midfield group developing nicely together, we don't have that quality genuine key forward option developing alongside it.

Would happily give up pick 8 to address that.

Tippett will likely be at the peak of his powers in 3 or so years, and I imagine our midfield will look pretty nice at that stage too.

It makes sense.

A twin-tower forward line of Brown and Tippett for the next couple of years will also work wonders for the development of Cornelius and allow him to play as a genuine third tall. (Although if we somehow got Mayne in the Clark trade, I would consider trading Cornelius to the Crows as part of the Tippett deal).

And should (heaven forbid) Browny go down again next year, having Tippett will stop our forward line from being an instant basketcase.

As much as it would make draft day less fun. Pick 8 for Tippett is a good deal.

We have a young midfield group developing nicely together, we don't have that quality key forward option developing alongside it.

Would happily give up pick 8 to address that.

Tippett will likely be at the peak of his powers in 3 or so years, and I imagine our midfield will look pretty nice at that stage too.

It makes sense.

Couldn't agree more with this. Tippett is the key forward we need to replace Brown when he retires and that back up ruck we require. Would give the pick 8 in a heartbeat. If anyone says they'd rather an untried draft pick instead, they kidding

Couldn't agree more with this. Tippett is the key forward we need to replace Brown when he retires and that back up ruck we require. Would give the pick 8 in a heartbeat. If anyone says they'd rather an untried draft pick instead, they kidding

use Tippett well and youll instantly have 60 goals per year. use him poorly (like us) and you get a 30 goal year.

Pick 8 IMO is a LITTLE but under... but getting there. maybe an exchange of picks or fringe player attached if there is one that suits.

Not sure if this would get it done, but (assuming we get pick 16 from the Clark trade).

Pick 8, Pick 16 and Cornelius to the Crows.
Tippett and Pick 10 to Brisbane.

It would come down to whether the Crows rate Cornelius at all (Also would consider trading out Patfull instead of Cornelius). It's definitely unders but if that second & third rounder clause exists in Tippett's contract then the Crows may see it as a decent option to cut their losses now.

More likely though, we'd be losing our pick 8 outright.

I think pick 8 is an overpay. I rate Clark ahead of Tippett mainly for his versatility. Tippett also doesn't work hard enough and is a FF not a CHF IMO.

Ralphy also thinks that he wouldn't move unless they could match his 600-700K salary which would make it hard to retain the likes of Redden and Hanley who deserve significant pay increases. I'd rather get an A grade midfielder/utility with pick 8 than a borderline A/B forward/ pinch-hit ruckman.

If Tippett was willing to take a 150K paycut and the crows were willing to take pick 16 maybe with a sweetener which they may as it seems likely that Tippett will demand a trade when he comes out of contract then I would like the Lions to go after him. Although GC may trump them with their extra salary cap and having Day and Gorringe.

The only thing i hate about the Tippett trade is that the Crows would want a lot more, like Redden. If it's only pick 8/16 then i'm all up for it. Him and Acorn would be great options in the forwardline while i loved Karnezis game against WC where he was the lead up forward, he provided so many options/leads for one guy.

Who's Jenkins sorry?

Promising ruckman who can play as a forward. Moves around the ground very well for a guy of his size.

use Tippett well and youll instantly have 60 goals per year. use him poorly (like us) and you get a 30 goal year.
I think he's also still learning about footy so every year should see him develop more.

Pick 8 IMO is a LITTLE but under... but getting there. maybe an exchange of picks or fringe player attached if there is one that suits.

I'd be OK with offering a little more for Tippett but not much more. Forward/Ruck is a gaping hole in our side but we've got to be mindful that we have other holes that are equally important to fill and the draft is our opportunity to do so.

Can't make up my mind on Tippett. Would be leaning towards no as there's too big of a difference between his best and worst to warrant the kind of coin he's likely to want, even if he accepts a paycut on the reported $700K he's being paid (anyone know if this amount is correct?) it still puts him in the $550-600K mark which is too overpriced for what he has produced in his career.

Can't make up my mind on Tippett. Would be leaning towards no as there's too big of a difference between his best and worst to warrant the kind of coin he's likely to want, even if he accepts a paycut on the reported $700K he's being paid (anyone know if this amount is correct?) it still puts him in the $550-600K mark which is too overpriced for what he has produced in his career.

Yeah, we can't pay Tippett that sort of money. I am not sure he is personally demanding that money though. His management just happened to swing a very good deal for him last time following a very good season and the threat of Gold Coast in the air.

I am going to give him the benefit of the doubt and assume he would be willing for his next contract to be a bit more reflective of his output, especially if it brings him back home to South-East QLD. If not, he is not the one for us.

Pick 8 would normally be about right for Tippett, but in a compromised draft we'd probably have to throw something in to sweeten the deal. Maybe a third round pick, or something out of the Clark trade.

My issue with Tippett is not trading for him, but what we'd have to pay him once he gets here. Some of the figures being bandied around are way more than he's worth, in my opinion.

The only thing i hate about the Tippett trade is that the Crows would want a lot more, like Redden.

The clubs don't have to do a deal on this. The Crows would be happy to keep Tippett. We can go other ways in terms of building our list. If the Crows put a price on Tippett's head that we aren't willing to pay, the parties walk away.

We've done a remarkable job already in rebuilding the core of our list through our drafting. We can't afford to lose a player like Redden who is at the heart of our rebuild. I have no doubt that the Crows will enquire about him and I don't blame them. But gain Tippett and lose Redden is a nil all draw in terms of our rebuild.

Our currency is draft picks. We've got a high one to offer. I'd be happy to offer a second one too, if a draft pick came back to us in return.

Given where the Crows list is at in terms of defenders, I think Patfull would be a very good option for them to explore. We need him too so it will hurt to lose him but, if I were the Crows, he'd be one that I'd chase.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yeah, we can't pay Tippett that sort of money. I am not sure he is personally demanding that money though. His management just happened to swing a very good deal for him last time following a very good season and the threat of Gold Coast in the air.

I am going to give him the benefit of the doubt and assume he would be willing for his next contract to be a bit more reflective of his output, especially if it brings him back home to South-East QLD. If not, he is not the one for us.

I would think a renegotiation of a 4 year, 2.2 million dollar contract should Tippett come to us would be about right for his value.

Pick 8 would normally be about right for Tippett, but in a compromised draft we'd probably have to throw something in to sweeten the deal. Maybe a third round pick, or something out of the Clark trade.

My issue with Tippett is not trading for him, but what we'd have to pay him once he gets here. Some of the figures being bandied around are way more than he's worth, in my opinion.

hey may be willing to take a pay cut to come home...

Not sure if this would get it done, but (assuming we get pick 16 from the Clark trade).

Pick 8, Pick 16 and Cornelius to the Crows.
Tippett and Pick 10 to Brisbane.

It would come down to whether the Crows rate Cornelius at all (Also would consider trading out Patfull instead of Cornelius). It's definitely unders but if that second & third rounder clause exists in Tippett's contract then the Crows may see it as a decent option to cut their losses now.

More likely though, we'd be losing our pick 8 outright.

I would much rather give up Retzlaff than Cornelius. Pick 8 would be good, although they would want Polec or Redden.

Seems odd to me that we would be prepared to offer any more for Tippett than what we would receive from Freo fo Clark. It seems Adelaide are in much the same position as we were in last year with Clark, if they can get a trade for him this year they will be doing well, it seems Gold Coast can't afford him and hopefully we don't offer him too much coin. No way I would want to lose Redden for Tippett!!

F: Mayne/Cornelius, Brown, Green
HF: Karnezis, Tippett, Banfield

Bugger me, that is some forward line for 2012.

That forward line is awesome I do agree...

But

Sorry to be the one to object. But we are a rebuilding club; if we were to trade for tippett and give up a high quality youngster I wouldn't be happy with that.

We are a rebuilding young team; you do need your high draft picks. We don't have an greatly skilled kicking team. I'd be pushing to keep a top 10 pick and pick the best youngster by foot there is.

Now I agree we need tippett so this is what I suggest
Picks 8,16 and 30 >> Crows
tippett & pick 10 >> Brisbane

This is better than having our earliest pick at 16.

Our picks would then be 10,29,34 with Tippett added to our list and hopefully a Mayne or Ibbotson from freo.

Mind you I think we'd be lucky to get those two players from Freo.

That forward line is awesome I do agree...

But

Sorry to be the one to object. But we are a rebuilding club; if we were to trade for tippett and give up a high quality youngster I wouldn't be happy with that.

Tippett is a "high quality youngster though". It isn't like we are talking about trading in a 27yo player. Tippett's age and development, considering KPP take a little longer historically, fits in quite well with our rebuild.

Tippett is a "high quality youngster though". It isn't like we are talking about trading in a 27yo player. Tippett's age and development, considering KPP take a little longer historically, fits in quite well with our rebuild.

Sorry not saying he isn;t a high quality young player (25 next year don't forget). I'm just saying Voss should have a priority of having a high pick(top 10) kept in the den for the next couple of years. I'm only suggesting if we trade for tippett we try and get their pick 10 off them, thats all I'm really suggesting. I'd love to get tippett in:)

So true, Tippett is only 24. I still don't understand why people are so worried about trading for anyone over 21 years of age haha. Everyone is obsessed with draft picks. Yes I am aware we are in rebuilding period, but that doesn't mean we can get players who are a few years older and who's physical development we can see

He'll be 25 early next season. So he's not 27 but I think his development has plateaued.

Oh and I'm not taking shots at you Dom, just see the positives with trading for young quality players

I'm not seeing the Cornelius > Retzlaff thing to be honest. I have them on about par, in terms of their potential to be productive senior footballers.

Yeah, Retzlaff has the better work ethic, tank, and running capacity.

Cornelius has the natural football talent.

Either player could go either way from here. Would be great if we could combine them into one super player. :eek:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back