2012/13 ABC cricket Criticism thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Lawson got caught out in one of the South African games. They were talking about other fast bowling options. Bird's name came up and Lawson had a dig at the Hobart pitch and how he was only in the discussion because of the friendly pitch, the commentator with him(can't remember who) then says he averages 21 at the other grounds, there is a pause and the next ball is delivered and Lawson changes the subject. His lack of knowledge of Australian domestic cricket is amazing, I believe he said Alex Doolan couldn't bat at 3 because he was more a number 6....

Good team. Only thing I don't like is O'Keeffe's laugh (I know it's popular but it grates on my nerves). Lawson is fine if you tune him out

Love how Jim Maxwell pauses. After. Every. Word.

It's a quality coverage. Does anyone know who the Sri Lankan commentator is?

Roshan 'Bjorn' Abbasinghe

Not sure on the spelling though

I like how there are more discussions ITT about how good the ABC commentators are. Suck shit petty haters.

"And there's cricket, on the radio..."
ABC Grandstand- Providing good sporting coverage all year round, saving me from the horror of channel's 7 and 9

I'm not a huge fan of Geoff Lawson as a commentator but I can tolerate him in small doses, I really can't stand some of the subcontinental guest commentators they get though. I know they like to get a commentator from the visiting teams but they are mostly painful to listen to, that includes Harsha Bhogle who everyone seems to love for some unknown reason. Ravi Shastri is about the only Indian commentator I can tolerate but he only does tv and not radio, hopefully Sangakkara becomes a commentator when he retires, I've heard him do some guest stints in commentary and he's been terrific.

Before I get accused of racism I don't like Bryan Waddle either who ABC usually rope in for the NZ test series or Neil Manthorp who was here for the SA test series. Barry Richards was great though and I also like Danny Morrison who occasionally does guest stints on the ABC.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Geeves could be a bit like KOK when he was starting out. Some people probably are not going to like him for various reasons but he is easy to listen to. Thought he might of tried a little too hard trying to be the younger 'cool' guy of the box this time compared to his first time in the box but still think he could be a good addition.

In terms of domestic cricket I actually think the ABC and Fox commentators do a good job of avoiding bias. Lawson and Waugh can obviously been painfully bias but all the rest seem to go out of their way to avoid talking up their states players. The reason I'm mentioning this was when they asked Geeves who should replace Hilfy he went to go with Bird and then tried to mention any other states likely replacement before saying Coulter-Nile. Same with Julian, Fleming, Blewett etc..... which brings us to something, is it possible to be an ex NSW player and not display stupid amounts of bias? ;)

I'm not a huge fan of Geoff Lawson as a commentator but I can tolerate him in small doses, I really can't stand some of the subcontinental guest commentators they get though. I know they like to get a commentator from the visiting teams but they are mostly painful to listen to, that includes Harsha Bhogle who everyone seems to love for some unknown reason. Ravi Shastri is about the only Indian commentator I can tolerate but he only does tv and not radio, hopefully Sangakkara becomes a commentator when he retires, I've heard him do some guest stints in commentary and he's been terrific.

Before I get accused of racism I don't like Bryan Waddle either who ABC usually rope in for the NZ test series or Neil Manthorp who was here for the SA test series. Barry Richards was great though and I also like Danny Morrison who occasionally does guest stints on the ABC.

What on earth?

Whenever I think of Shastri, I think of the 2007 World Twenty20 semi where India beat Australia, and Sharsti yelling at the top of his lungs: WHERE ARE THE MEN IN YELLOW???!!!1111. Awful commentator who does nothing but encourage Indian chest-beating and tell the world how great the BCCI and IPL are. Although, Gavaskar and Arun Lal would make a good sitcom pairing.

What on earth?

Whenever I think of Shastri, I think of the 2007 World Twenty20 semi where India beat Australia, and Sharsti yelling at the top of his lungs: WHERE ARE THE MEN IN YELLOW???!!!1111. Awful commentator who does nothing but encourage Indian chest-beating and tell the world how great the BCCI and IPL are. Although, Gavaskar and Arun Lal would make a good sitcom pairing.

Yeah Shastri does tend to pump up India at times but that's his job as a commentator on the Indian channels, especially in the T20s. He's still a very intelligent and articulate commentator and he's not afraid to criticise Indian players at times either when it's warranted. I respect his opinion more than Harsha Bhogle who has played no test cricket and spends most of his time clowning around with Kerry O'Keefe and offers very little in the way of genuine cricket insight or humour.

Has KOK changed his laugh?, I always thought the other one was fake.

I posted this in another thread but I don't know if anyone saw it.

I'd like to mention how completle hopeless Drew Morphett is. I remember a ODI game from about 2-3 years back, when one of the Aussies was dismissed bowled. The ball just clipped the stump and it took a second or so for the bail to drop, but it was OBVIOUS from the replay. Anyway Drew spent the whole of his commentary stint complaining that the guy wasn't out and that the umpires were off their heads. I don't mean that he mentioned it in passing; he went on and on and on. He came across (quite correctly IMO) as an ignorant, biased twat!

Does anyone remember this?

Yeah Shastri does tend to pump up India at times but that's his job as a commentator on the Indian channels, especially in the T20s. He's still a very intelligent and articulate commentator and he's not afraid to criticise Indian players at times either when it's warranted. I respect his opinion more than Harsha Bhogle who has played no test cricket and spends most of his time clowning around with Kerry O'Keefe and offers very little in the way of genuine cricket insight or humour.

You misunderstand the ABC radio commentary philosophy: one guy calls the action and the other provides the commentary. Harsha Bhogle doesn't need to have played cricket to do his job.

You misunderstand the ABC radio commentary philosophy: one guy calls the action and the other provides the commentary. Harsha Bhogle doesn't need to have played cricket to do his job.

You can be a good cricket commentator without having played international cricket but I still don't rate Harsha Bhogle as a commentator.

I don't mind Drew Morphett, he's a better footy commentator than cricket commentator but he's still very easy to listen to and doesn't take himself too seriously.

Remove this Banner Ad

2012/13 ABC cricket Criticism thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Back