Preview 2012 AFL Draft

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Alright a positive thread to sustain us over what looks to be a long, bleak season.

OK, I think it is a reasonable expectation that we will finish bottom four. While this is not encouraging tanking, and I don't believe our club would ever tank for draft picks, I think it is not unreasonable to keep an eye on the young talent that we will be picking up this year, with two first round draft picks, and a extra third round draft pick from losing Ward:( and Reid:eek:

From all reports so far - the kids listed below are the ones that a rising to the top. So what do we need and who do you think we will get?

Lachlan Whitfield - 182cm, 72kg - Dandenong Stingrays
Tim Membrey - 187cm, 87kg - Gippsland Power
Jake Stringer - 191cm, 86kg - Bendigo Pioneers
Oliver Wines - 184cm, 84kg - Bendigo Pioneers
Jason Pongracic - 181cm, 82kg - Dandenong Stingrays
Nick Vlastuin - 186cm, 83kg - Northern Knights
Matthew Haynes - 190cm, 76kg - Northern Knights
Jack Viney - 178cm, 77kg - Oakleigh Chargers Melbourne f/s
Joe Daniher - 199cm, 83kg - Calder Cannons bombers f/s
Liam McBean - 199cm, 81kg - Calder Cannons
Rory Atkins - 183cm, 75kg - Calder Cannons
Lachlan Plowman - 190cm, 81kg - Calder Cannons
Dayle Garlett - 181cm, 68kg - Swan Districts
Chris Yarran - 183cm, 80kg - Perth
Shannon Taylor - 177cm, 72kg - Claremont
Brody Grundy - 200cm, 92 kg - Sturt
Jimmy Toumpas - 183cm,74kg - Woodville West Torrens
Mason Shaw - 199 Perth, full forward

I reckon that Stringer looks like a quality player. Only depends on if the expansion clubs decide they need another medium tall player.

I want Stringer the most, but I think Melbourne are going to tank, and take him with one of their picks.
I also like the look of Nick Vlastuin, or even Jimmy Toumpas.

Are there any power forwards coming through?

I believe the number one pick will be Whitfield who will go to GWS, but after GC serving it up to the bombers last night, they are not guaranteed to finished second last.

I would love to see us pick a power forward and a silky smooth outside midfielder - in the ilk of Cooney 2008.

Do you reckon you're a certainty to grab Lachie Hunter with the F/S pick?

No way we would use a first round pick on Hunter, maybe a second, hopefully a third. With the quality that is meant to be in this draft, I don't think many clubs will bid on him, and certainly if the do it will be on Viney and Daniher.

Sad that this thread was started after round 3.

Hopefully the Dogs can finally, I repeat FINALLY draft a star KP forward, first since C.Grant.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Gee there's a lot of pressure on our recruiters to get this right.
If this year pans out to be as bad as it's looking now not only are we going to have some great picks but every single supporter will be thinking this draft is going to save us, set us up for the next decade.
Dalrymple and his team just have to deliver...

If this year pans out to be as bad as it's looking now not only are we going to have some great picks but every single supporter will be thinking this draft is going to save us, set us up for the next decade.

If you want to have a look at the prospects in more detail, check out Knightmare's 2012 Phantom Draft (in the Phantom Drafts section).

Great read.

Although I hope we go the best 2 available players, it would seem to be a bit of a waste if we target an inside mid with 1 of those picks, as we already have a good batch of young talent in that area, and Hunter (out f/s) is also an inside-med.

Would be happy with either 2 gun mids, or 1 mid & 1 KPF.

I hope that they will do the right thing by the club. Overlooking Jack Riewoldt was stupid, going for Howard, looks like we paid over the odds. I can understand their reasoning along with other clubs on overlooking Franklin, but surely we could have drafted a decent full forward by now, we have had this problem for over a decade:mad:

On the brighter side, recruiting Dalhous was the drafting cue of 2010.:)

If you want to have a look at the prospects in more detail, check out Knightmare's 2012 Phantom Draft (in the Phantom Drafts section).

Great read.

Although I hope we go the best 2 available players, it would seem to be a bit of a waste if we target an inside mid with 1 of those picks, as we already have a good batch of young talent in that area, and Hunter (out f/s) is also an inside-med.

Would be happy with either 2 gun mids, or 1 mid & 1 KPF.

our problem is year in year out, we seem to draft decent midfielders, but FFS, when are we ever going to draft a match winning tall forward? The Mind Boggles... We will never get into a GF until this changes

I have seen a bit of Liam McBean at the cannons and he reminds me a bit of Kurt Tippet, wouldn't hurt to have him in our calculations.

Do we have to use the Cal Ward compo this season?

2 picks in the top 10 sounds pretty promising, or even 2 in the top 5 if we're stupidly bad...

Do we have to use the Cal Ward compo this season?

2 picks in the top 10 sounds pretty promising, or even 2 in the top 5 if we're stupidly bad...

We didn't, but we have activated it, along with the Sam Reid compo.
We still have the option to trade it though, which i highly doubt we will do.

Straight after our first pick.

Almost BOG on the weekend, 37 touches, GREAT disposal, elite decision making and putting his body on the line even though the team is getting spanked.

Just the player we need atm, I doubt Lachie Whitfield or Jake Stringer will even fill his boots. I want to cry :(

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back