2012 Australian Open: Part 2

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
As expected, Federer is on a different level, but really I couldn't be happier with how Tomic is playing. He's giving himself the best chance possible of winning - he just needs a couple of years to develop the tools.

Great match to watch. It's incredible how engrossing a match becomes when both players are tactically astute - I haven't enjoyed a likely straight sets drubbing this much in a long time.

All the top 10 players are just on anoher level above the Tomic. Still a great tournment.

Fed/Del Potro should be great to watch.

still youngest in the top 100, and Fed was 22 (2 months after) when he won wimbledon. Hewitt was what, 19 2 USOpen in 200 which was a weak era for the game, and Andy Roddick(18) should have pantsed him in the quarters but he let a poor line call lose the match cos he lost his head.

It's a shame both Tomic and Hewitt had to be drawn in a top 4 section.

There's a 4/8 chance of getting into the big boys section and unfortunately they both did.

I would say only the top 4 are on another level.

I think you can soon add Del Potro into the mix and it'll be top 5. Maybe even top 6 if Tsonga can add some consistency. Ferrer is 5 at the moment, still a very very good player, no disrespect to him but he won't ever really challenge for a slam, other than maybe the French.

Reality check for Bernard tonight. But i get the feeling he will learn from it, and work harder to get up to a competitive level.

Hahaha that was hilarious! Berniue tanking, and the commentators acting like every shot from Federer was incredible and just out of this world.

Good stuff from Bernie, doing absolutely stuff all, if he was going to lose that's exactly what I wanted. Remember the years Federer got virtual walkovers against Del Potro and Wawrinka? Didn’t fare so well when he actually played someone who was ready to challenge him. Training run for Federer tonight, leaving him likely to challenge Del Potro, Nadal and Djokovic in consecutive matches. Good luck with that!!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Hahaha that was hilarious! Berniue tanking, and the commentators acting like every shot from Federer was incredible and just out of this world.

Good stuff from Bernie, doing absolutely stuff all, if he was going to lose that's exactly what I wanted. Remember the years Federer got virtual walkovers against Del Potro and Wawrinka? Didn’t fare so well when he actually played someone who was ready to challenge him. Training run for Federer tonight, leaving him likely to challenge Del Potro, Nadal and Djokovic in consecutive matches. Good luck with that!!

Yeah Bernie just chucked the towel in in the 3rd set. Spirit was broken. That's the one thing he has to correct, still has to give it a good crack even when he's down and out and probably has no way of coming back. People will respect him even more so if he could just tough it out. Still, he showed he's got the potential, however he's still got a way to go yet. Agree, relatively routine in the end, Fed showed his hand for maybe half a set then went into cruise control mode.

Del Potro, Nadal and Djokovic in consecutive matches!

That is a friggen hard task. Probably just about the toughest draw in history.

That is why Novak's year was unbelievable last year. He had to contend with two all time greats in roger and nadal. One in the semi's the other in the final.

Bernard has the tools, he just needs to learn to go down fighting like Lleyton does...develope that absolute "never give in" attitude..

He'll learn, he's still a kid.....in the meantime he should be very proud of himself and his efforts...$109,000 in the pocket will help;)

Yeah Bernie just chucked the towel in in the 3rd set. Spirit was broken. That's the one thing he has to correct, still has to give it a good crack even when he's down and out and probably has no way of coming back. People will respect him even more so if he could just tough it out. Still, he showed he's got the potential, however he's still got a way to go yet. Agree, relatively routine in the end, Fed showed his hand for maybe half a set then went into cruise control mode.
Agreed. Bernie tanks too often, it's frustrating and concerning. He's got the attitude that he's done enough during the set/week/whatever that he's afforded that luxury. He's not. The great players don’t tank. He’s got immense potential, but a few flaws in his game and mindset that tanking is acceptable that makes me a little cautious.

And Federer didn’t wow me tonight. He’s not playing to the standard he was in NY. He’s not moving quite as well or hitting with quite as much force. I think he’ll beat Delpo in 4, might just get past Rafa but I honestly think Djokovic has such an edge on this court and he’ll win should they meet.

Your man is at his peak and is clearly the best in the world. Why are you still hating? The fact is Federer does things on the court (and did so tonight) that players like Djokovic could only dream of doing. No amount of pretending the commentators exaggerate everything he does will change that.

Your man is at his peak and is clearly the best in the world. Why are you still hating? The fact is Federer does things on the court (and did so tonight) that players like Djokovic could only dream of doing. No amount of pretending the commentators exaggerate everything he does will change that.
You heard them? You heard them cream themselves over simple winners when Bernie wasn’t even running for balls?

Oh and Jim, and Bruce, Ancic has mono. Soderling has mono. If Federer had mono he had the smallest infection of all time. I can't believe Federer 'fighting through mono' is still worthy of the highest of praise?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back