2012 BMW Caulfield Cup

Remove this Banner Ad

I got married on Nov 2nd so I would never forget the anniversary :thumbsu:

(Pretty sure it's the 2nd:oops:)

I got married the day before my birthday. So I should remember the anniversary or I've gone senile or maybe just in denial.

Anyone who knows anything about a speed map has him and Voila Ici straight to the front, the fact that Voila Ici is drawn just inside him is perfect, he has better gate speed then any of them, if those drawn inside him want to be holding him out they are going to have to be using their petrol up, which I assume they will not want to do. If you disagree then please tell me exactly who is going to get him posted instead of just assuming it is going to happen.

Yes there will be a more genuine tempo but that does not necesarrily play against him, all his main rivals here have been racing in slowly run races also, LOH, Voila Ici, Devember Draw have all been racing on very moderate tempos, I'm not convinced that a December Draw is going to be wanting to make it a true staying test by pouring the pressure into the race. Again if you think it is going to happen then please tell me who is going to put the pressure into the race instead of just making that assumption. More importantly how do you know he cannot cope with more pressure, he has been very strong through the line in all of his races.

Finally can you tell me what class actually is in a racehorse? More Joyous and King Mufasa had what you would think was a fair class edge on their rivals last week. Not me, I had More Joyous having to run to a career peak last week to win. Yet I heard a lot of people suggestingn Solzhenitsyn didn't have the class to win, $7 thank you very much!!

Plenty of people were saying exactly the same before the Metropolitan about GG.

Is Glencadam Gold a certainty, no, do I think he is hardest to beat, yes, clearly, could I back anything to beat him, no.

Look forward to seeing this poster return!

Throw speed maps out the window in G1 races.

I don't like any Gai Waterhouse trained horse in Melbourne as her record is atrocious and they are always under the odds.

Need to watch it again but after a quick look,Alcopop unbelievable & My QFP the only on pacer to hold on.
Sneak A Peek,Zabeelionaire & Folding Gear were all good
December Draw gone as they straightened,2400 too far for him

Once again the cream rises to the top

seth

Need to watch it again but after a quick look,Alcopop unbelievable & My QFP the only on pacer to hold on.

seth

Lights of Heaven stiff as well I thought. Held up for a clear run.

Americain showing what he's still capable of.

Hope Tommy Berry enjoyed seeing Glencadam Gold get beat.

seth

I am assuming Folding Gear won't go into the Melbourne Cup (Haven't looked at acceptances so far). I think if he drops back a little in grade, stays about the 2200-2500, he will be winning, or close to next start. Underrated horse.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Any ideas on where Folding Gear might head? Have a fair bit of a rap on him.
The 2500m race on Derby Day? Sandown Cup?
Got squeezed badly in the straight. Obviously isn't quite the class of Dunaden, Americain etc. But, is a good second-tier class stayer.

Got squeezed badly in the straight. Obviously isn't quite the class of Dunaden, Americain etc. But, is a good second-tier class stayer.

Queen Elizabeth on Stakes Day - also 2500.

I'm sure there's also a 2000m race at Flem that name escapes me (not the Mackinnon)

Theres stacks of options over the next few weeks although none at Cfield which he clearly loves.
Had a bumping duel with Sneak A Peek or definitely gets a bit closer

seth

This is what the jockeys thought of their mounts' performances in the Caulfield Cup.

Placing Horse Jockey Comment
1st Dunaden Craig Williams There’s nothing better than winning races like this but to enjoy it with a horse that I’ve got such a great affinity with and also the people around that make it that more special. This horses’ story is amazing and it’s about him today. Mikel Delzangles, what a trainer.
2nd ALCOPOP Dom Tourneur Went good. Unfortunately we were beaten by the best mile and a half horse in the world. We put him there to win on the corner, he let down good but the winner was too good. He was gallant.
3rd Lights Of Heaven Luke Nolen I would have like to flow on the corner but it bottle-necked a bit and once she got clear she found the line nicely. Sound, a goodMelbourne Cup trial.
4th Americain Gerald Mosse Very simple. Very pleased with the horse after a long run.
5th My Quest For Peace Corey Brown The winner and the second horse were too good for him on the day but maybe we got there a little bit too soon and he half stargazed a little bit.
6th Zabeelionaire Craig Newitt Went good. I wasn't able to get rolling into it when I wanted to but he found the line alright.
7th FOLDING GEAR Ben Melham Good run. He copped a bit of interference on the corner, which cost him momentum but overall I was pretty happy with the run.
8th SNEAK A PEEK Glen Boss Immature. In six months time he'll be a nice horse.
9th Winchester Jamie Mott He got left flatfooted at the 700 but his work to the line was really good looking towards the Melbourne Cup.
10th Sanagas Nicholas Hall That was a nice lead-up run. I liked him. He just wants to draw a more ideal gate in the Melbourne Cup and he'll run it out. He'll run the trip.
11th SECRET ADMIRER Brenton Avdulla She just got a little bit lost around the corner when December Draw gave her a bit of a bump and she wasn't too sure around the turn then but her best furlong was her last furlong.
12th Niwot Dwayne Dunn He was flat, I can't believe it.
13th Jakkalberry Colm O’Donoghue No comment.
14th Moudre Kerrin McEvoy We got held up straightening but he got home okay after that. Good run.
15th Glencadam Gold Jim Cassidy I was coming off the bit 700 out. I tried to up tempo a bit but he chopped and changed strides and that was it.
16th Sabrage Clare Lindop Happy with the way the horse got to the line.
17th December Draw Michael Rodd He didn’t stay.
Last Voila Ici Vlad Duric Ordinary. At the 600 I was a beaten horse.

Poster obviously thought it was a 2400m straight race and didn't take the outside gate and bends into account. GG was always going to waste energy trying to get to the front, and when they got to the winning post the first time around and it was three wide, it was game over at that point. Gai's "make sure the horse is front running at all costs" strategy destroys any hope her horses have when drawn wide. Happened like week, happened today and will happen again.

Poster obviously thought it was a 2400m straight race and didn't take the outside gate and bends into account. GG was always going to waste energy trying to get to the front, and when they got to the winning post the first time around and it was three wide, it was game over at that point. Gai's "make sure the horse is front running at all costs" strategy destroys any hope her horses have when drawn wide. Happened like week, happened today and will happen again.

He must still be researching what "class" in a racehorse is. Exhibit A Dunaden.

He likewise - just SMH at what he was posintg. Fair enough to be confident about a horse but to flat out reject any discussions on the horses chances and to say it will just not lose in a race of this magnitude is ridiculous. Racing is never that simple.

You'd think a Hawthorn support would have learnt recently that there are no certanties in sport.

But in terms of the race - when a horse carriers 58kg, jumps from barrier 18 and comes from basically dead last to beat them all there can be no excuses for anything that finished behind him.

DEAD SET FREAK!

:thumbsu:

Was really warming to DUNADEN before that absolute horrow draw. Will probably still stick given he is likely to go back anyway, and Cassidy showed on Dear Demi today you can get a suck run if you ride for luck.

For me the blatantly obvious selection post barrier draw just has to be DECEMBER DRAW - has all the right form lines and looks set to get the gun run from the draw - 2400 a possibly query?

Hard to find one I like at the big EW odds this year but it is probably VOLIA ICI.

04-1.gif

First, last and second last I think :rolleyes: - still - glad I stuck! Once again Williams showed you don't have to get trapped wide from a wide gate if you are willing to go back - hero ride!

Remove this Banner Ad

2012 BMW Caulfield Cup

Remove this Banner Ad

Back