2012 captain and leadership group

Remove this Banner Ad

Re: Cats Skipper and Leadership group for 2012

Selwood for captain, obviously we have other great options including Bartel but I feel it's time for Sel to take over for the next eight to ten years, and the fact that he was the sole vice captain this year tells me the club thinks the same way. Not fussed on vice captain, probably will be Bartel but Enright Corey Kelly would be equally good in the role, as would Taylor if they want a younger Captain-Vice Captain team.

Leadership group you would assume will be the same other than replacing Ling. Is it a sixplus captain? In that case you'd assume Bartel Corey Enright Taylor Kelly with Mackie probably the new man in. That said I wouldn't be unhappy to see a younger player introduced as the 7th member, be good to give them some time to learn off the wisdom of the older guys in the leadership group meetings since they won't be around forever.

PO? You may have noticed I put Stokes in....I had an idea he was already in the leadership group...was I mistaken?

I thought his rev up of Trav Varcoe after the sensational last quarter goal was great stuff from Stokes...

Looks to me like he could play a role .....

Putting in a young player is, of course a good idea...Menzel looks leadership material to me but obviously wont be giving on field leadership for some time yet. Not sure if injured players would be included though I dont see why not.

SJ I didnt include but his leadership on field in the GF was obvious so perhaps I should have added him.

God....riches in leadership sure reflects the quality in our list.

Max Rooke is the answer to all questions in this thread.

Selwood for captain, obviously we have other great options including Bartel but I feel it's time for Sel to take over for the next eight to ten years, and the fact that he was the sole vice captain this year tells me the club thinks the same way. Not fussed on vice captain, probably will be Bartel but Enright Corey Kelly would be equally good in the role, as would Taylor if they want a younger Captain-Vice Captain team.

Leadership group you would assume will be the same other than replacing Ling. Is it a sixplus captain? In that case you'd assume Bartel Corey Enright Taylor Kelly with Mackie probably the new man in. That said I wouldn't be unhappy to see a younger player introduced as the 7th member, be good to give them some time to learn off the wisdom of the older guys in the leadership group meetings since they won't be around forever.

Agree with this. Selwood captain, current leadership group (assuming they all wish to remain) with Mackie the most logical inclusion.

PO? You may have noticed I put Stokes in....I had an idea he was already in the leadership group...was I mistaken?

I thought his rev up of Trav Varcoe after the sensational last quarter goal was great stuff from Stokes...

Looks to me like he could play a role .....

Putting in a young player is, of course a good idea...Menzel looks leadership material to me but obviously wont be giving on field leadership for some time yet. Not sure if injured players would be included though I dont see why not.

SJ I didnt include but his leadership on field in the GF was obvious so perhaps I should have added him.

God....riches in leadership sure reflects the quality in our list.

Stokes has never been in the leadership group as far as I'm aware (and I don't see him joining it this year).

Reckon Mackie is the logical inclusion unless they go for getting a younger player in there.

Give the top job to Joel now.....

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/a...t-until-february/story-e6frf9jf-1226190692334

As much as I love Jimmy and think he'd make an inspiring captain, and as worthy as James Kelly or Corey Enright may be, Joel Selwood is THE man for the job. We all knew this back in 2007.

Why does the club have to wait until February? A delay makes you think the club may have misgivings about Joel.

For me its a no-brainer. Joel could become our longest serving capatin, but that wouldn't be all that hard in the modern era, given that most of our captains have only lasted a few years.

What do others think?

Re: Give the top job to Joel now.....

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/a...t-until-february/story-e6frf9jf-1226190692334

As much as I love Jimmy and think he'd make an inspiring captain, and as worthy as James Kelly or Corey Enright may be, Joel Selwood is THE man for the job. We all knew this back in 2007.

Why does the club have to wait until February? A delay makes you think the club may have misgivings about Joel.

For me its a no-brainer. Joel could become our longest serving capatin, but that wouldn't be all that hard in the modern era, given that most of our captains have only lasted a few years.

What do others think?

The last two Captains were picked have delivered Premierships I'm happy to do it there way.:)

We are the only ones waiting. I would suggest that within the group, there is already a good idea who will take over....

No hurry to name him yet...in pre-season all players are equal.

Selwood is a lay down mizere IMO....( for non-card players read "certainty" )

no hurry. i like the idea of waiting over most of pre-season and seeing if a player naturally gravitates to the role.

i hope selwood gets it, and with a second year coach wanting to transition to a new era i think that'll happen

(i'd have given it to selwood two years ago)

THIS^^^^

My sig has been the same since Harley retired ;)

Edit: No disrespect to Lingy - Was a cracking captain & loved seeing the ranger raise the premiership cup :thumbsu::thumbsu:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Why rush it? The club is no position to justify announcing it before Feb. The clubs mantra in the past season has been to make the right decision not the quick one.

I don't see why it matters. And it's not bothering Joel according to this;

"Everyone's interested about who will be the next Geelong captain, which we understand, but in the club it's not a big issue. It will work itself out in time. Everyone's been away on holidays, enjoying their break."

Just going through your list, there's a dozen blokes where if you gave them the captaincy Geelong really wouldn't be worse for it.

I think Bartel and Enright in particular are not captain material. I don't mean on field. They're as inspirational and disciplined and dedicated as anyone.

But there's endless off-field spokesmanship and promotion. It's more than a football role these days. Those guys are so understated (which I love).

Selwood would be shorter odds than Black Caviar but it makes sense to wait until the list is complete so that it's a real "team" announcement.

A number of second- and third-year players will travel to Falls Creek over the weekend to take part in the rest of the camp. Leadership group members Jimmy Bartel and Joel Selwood, who are both in line to replace retired skipper Cameron Ling as the club's next captain, are also making the trip into the hills...
Our two most likely candidates battling it out.:D
Quite a good piece on Billie Smedts as well.

seems like we already have a few acting captains anyways but for obvious reasons they have to name one so Lingy it has been the past few years but the good thing is we are a pretty unselfish group and they all work for each other and even the young blokes give advice on the field to help improve and get toward that ultimate goal of perfection.

Selwood, Johnson, Hawkins, Chappy, Enright, Kelly, Bartel even Scarlett talks and everyone listens but all those guys would all be fine for the job:thumbsu:

Selwood, Johnson, Hawkins, Chappy, Enright, Kelly, Bartel even Scarlett talks and everyone listens but all those guys would all be fine for the job:thumbsu:

You can't be serious

I'm not too sure how Geelong like to do things, but is a joint captaincy between Selwood and Bartel out of the question?

We havent beein into joint captaincy in the past so don't think thats an option. Jimmy is a great player, but for overall suitability I think Joel will get the nod.

We havent beein into joint captaincy in the past so don't think thats an option. Jimmy is a great player, but for overall suitability I think Joel will get the nod.

Didn't we have half the side as captain mid 1990s,Ablett and Stoneham were a couple of them and there were 1 or 2 others I reckon.

I can't think of any since then.

Didn't we have half the side as captain mid 1990s,Ablett and Stoneham were a couple of them and there were 1 or 2 others I reckon.

I can't think of any since then.

I was thinking post-rabble Geelong...but I think you're spot on re mid nineties captaincy....

I think they tossed for it before every game :D

Remove this Banner Ad

2012 captain and leadership group

Remove this Banner Ad

Back