2012 draft

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Has no real direct relevance to any of our clubs but .. a good source on the Carlton board says that we have crossed Menzel off our list because he won't make it past Pick #8 and will most likely be selected by the Bulldogs.

This might allow for another highly rated player to "slip through".

Highly relevant I'd say, it looks like this draft is moving from a pick for Vlasutin to a choice out out of Macrae and Vlastuin. Carlton could easily snap up one of the top nine guns talked about now.

I've heard this rumor before, is it legitimate, is it via free agency or trades?
I have it on on good authority the AFL is going to do a massive backflip, and hand each club a "concession" pick from the GWS and GC at seasons end. Tyson will walk to us for nothing.
They are doing this as a PR stunt to try to save face after the recent turmoil, and restore the equilibrium.

Highly relevant I'd say, it looks like this draft is moving from a pick for Vlasutin to a choice out out of Macrae and Vlastuin. Carlton could easily snap up one of the top nine guns talked about now.

My personal opinion is that we will pick up Ben Kennedy (just reading into what our recruiting manager says).

I have it on on good authority the AFL is going to do a massive backflip, and hand each club a "concession" pick from the GWS and GC at seasons end. Tyson will walk to us for nothing.
They are doing this as a PR stunt to try to save face after the recent turmoil, and restore the equilibrium.

Okay, so you mean that each non-expansion team will just be doled out a player from one of the GWS or GC? And Tyson will just come to us for free?

I'm guessing this also means that Richmond could draft away it's first draft pick of 2013 and Nahas, but doesn't need to? Crazy stuff.

I reckon you can look at it a couple of ways..
1) We've drafted/recruited these guys already and are looking for Conca/Ellis/Grigg to get more game time in the middle. Whoever we draft prob wouldn't play in the guts as Dimma seems to like them serving their apprenticeship in the backline.
2) We are going for an inside mid in the draft to bolster our stocks.

I've said before I am excited for whoever we draft, it seems we are in that favourable part of the draft where potentially 8-12 highly rated kids will still be available.

Don't forget Dom Tyson will be at Punt Road in 2014.

Yeah, after reading the article again - I think one (or both) of your interpretations above could be on the money mate.

I certainly share your excitement about who we might pick up - pick 9 should still be a young gun regardless of who we end up drafting. All I want is a midfielder (preferably an inside mid to eventually take on Tuck's position in a few years) though would happily settle for a classy, line breaking outside mid (as I think when Lids gets a heavy tag, we lose a bit of that polish and class moving forward).

If we nail pick 9 and hope Conca and Ellis develop into the players their promise has shown, Foley to finally have no more injury troubles and Martin to take his game to another level under Choco's teachings. Getting Dom Tyson across would be the cherry on top and complete our midfield :thumbsu:

Really want McDonough now. Hope we can snare him with 43.

What do people think of Tom Temay?

I like Tom, strong competitor who with his strong running ability seems destined to be a tagger. Has a lovely neat kick and is a strong tackler. Could be a goer at pick #43. Really surprised me at times with his offensive ability and clearance work during the Champs.

Thought it would be worthwhile throwing up a list breakdown as we head into the draft to give a bit more of an idea of where the holes maybe. I've gone for the order in which I see them being selected.

Inside Midfielders:
Cotchin 185cm 83kg 86 games
Martin 187cm 86kg 63 games
Tuck 189cm 92kg 162 games
Foley 178cm 80kg 120 games
Jackson 188cm 91kg 123 games
Helbig 185cm 77kg 15 games
Arnot 180cm 87kg 0 games

Outside Midfielders:
Deledio 188cm 88kg 172 games
Grigg 190cm 84kg 86 games
Knights 184cm 87kg 96 games
Conca 185cm 78kg 35 games
Ellis 181cm 83kg 21 games
White 180cm 82kg 89 games

Medium Defenders:
Newman 183cm 82kg 214 games
Houli 180cm 82kg 70 games
Morris 185cm 84kg 21 games
Batchelor 188cm 78kg 30 games
Dea 186cm 84kg 21 games
Verrier(r) 187cm 76kg 0 games

Medium Forwards:
S.Edwards 182cm 78kg 109 games
Nahas 176cm 70kg 77 games
King 178cm 80kg 87 games
A.Edwards 184cm 92kg 82 games
O'Hanlon 189cm 87kg 8 games

Key Defenders:
Rance 194cm 93kg 66 games
Chaplin 195cm 100kg 140 games
Grimes 193cm 87kg 17 games
Griffiths* 199cm 98kg 18 games
Astbury* 195cm 92kg 24 games
Darrou(r) 190cm 97kg 0 games

Key Forwards:
Riewoldt 195cm 93kg 112 games
Vickery* 200cm 95kg 54 games
Elton 197cm 92kg 1 game
McGuane 192cm 91kg 93 games

Ruck:
Maric 200cm 102kg 98 games
Derickx 201cm 99kg 2 games
* - These guys can play in multiple positions.

Hope this gives a pretty clear indication as to what areas we maybe targetting in the upcoming drafts.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Really want McDonough now. Hope we can snare him with 43.

What do people think of Tom Temay?

What role do you see McDonough playing in the AFL? I haven't see much of him, except a couple of games in this years carnival where he was playing full forward. Pretty sure he kicked six goals against WA as a full forward but all but one of his goals were from strong marks one on one and I just don't see him doing that too much in the AFL at his height.

Read someone, probably from KM of Chris25 that he plays midfield usually and only stepped into FF to replace Menzel? If so, that suggests he would fit right in with Cotch and Martin swapping midfield/forward.

I like Tom, strong competitor who with his strong running ability seems destined to be a tagger. Has a lovely neat kick and is a strong tackler. Could be a goer at pick #43. Really surprised me at times with his offensive ability and clearance work during the Champs.
sounds really promising actually. we will need a tagger, huge bonus if he can hurt going the other way.

Interested Tigs if you think (or know) if we would take Plowman instead of Vlastuin if he was to slide?
Doubt it. Guess he could come into consideration if Vlastuin is gone.

What role do you see McDonough playing in the AFL? I haven't see much of him, except a couple of games in this years carnival where he was playing full forward. Pretty sure he kicked six goals against WA as a full forward but all but one of his goals were from strong marks one on one and I just don't see him doing that too much in the AFL at his height.

Read someone, probably from KM of Chris25 that he plays midfield usually and only stepped into FF to replace Menzel? If so, that suggests he would fit right in with Cotch and Martin swapping midfield/forward.

HFF/Midfield. Chapman type role. Will always play more forward but pinch hit middle. We just recruited Knights for this so wouldn't surprise to see us grab a kid to develop behind him.

What tigs said. HFF/mid. Just looks like a footballer to me, no fuss, gets it done, tough edge. Think Hardwick would love him.

Has no real direct relevance to any of our clubs but .. a good source on the Carlton board says that we have crossed Menzel off our list because he won't make it past Pick #8 and will most likely be selected by the Bulldogs.

This might allow for another highly rated player to "slip through".
Wow if thats true that means the Doggies are going to really roll the dice this year, Very strongly rumoured to be into stringer so if the Giants dont pick Menzel at 3 which EQ was thinking the dogs could go Menzel+Stringer with Picks 5+6
1.Whitfield
2.toumpas
3.Grundy
4.Wines
5.Menzel
6.Stringer
7.Mayes (sa connection)
8.McCrae
9.Vlastuin
10.Daniher
11.O'Rourke - Carlton get a Ripper

Wow if thats true that means the Doggies are going to really roll the dice this year, Very strongly rumoured to be into stringer so if the Giants dont pick Menzel at 3 which EQ was thinking the dogs could go Menzel+Stringer with Picks 5+6
1.Whitfield
2.toumpas
3.Grundy
4.Wines
5.Menzel
6.Stringer
7.Mayes (sa connection)
8.McCrae
9.Vlastuin
10.Daniher

And GWS get Plowman at 12, they'd be laughing

1.Whitfield
2.toumpas
3.Grundy
4.Wines
5.Menzel
6.Stringer
7.Mayes (sa connection)
8.McCrae
9.Vlastuin
10.Daniher
I think you'll find Doggies want Stringer at 22. They'll take O'Rourke or Macrae there. Brissy will likely take the other.

I think you'll find Doggies want Stringer at 22. They'll take O'Rourke or Macrae there. Brissy will likely take the other.
Depends how bad they want him. They can want him at #22 all they want but doubt he last that long. I reckon a lot will depend on whether Menzel lasts to 5. If not then they will take a punt on Stringer

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back