2012 draft

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Looks like this could pan out any number of ways. So hard to predict this one.

Would be happy with

a) Vlastuin, Atkins, Graham, McDonough

b) Menzel, Pongracic, Graham, McDonough

:)

I'll bet my house he's going to Port.

look he could well be, but if he is around why would you now take him?
I know lots of ifs. buts. maybes.
personally I will be absolutely shocked if this kids lasts to 9 and if he does get to 9 I will be absolutely shocked that we dont take him

Someone said earlier they'll be much happier if Grundy goes before our pick rather than after. I agree with this.

Someone said earlier they'll be much happier if Grundy goes before our pick rather than after. I agree with this.

why? to make our pick more easier? ie we take a mid? the aloofness here astounds me. we must take this quality tall who can ruck kick goals and tower.....why not make our choices more informed by having the cream of the crop to choose from....

Quayle is spot-on with her ranking of Menzel. If he gets to 9, it will be absolutely massive. I can't see how any of the clubs bar Melbourne would even consider passing on him though.

agree- we have to take players like this with x factor. for me grundy if there, menzel if there...

How confident were they?

Would certainly make it interesting.

Do you agree re my comments on Jesse and Vlastuin?
They sounded confident. Apparently same source that told him Conca to Richmond.

Vlastuin better kick, Lonergan better athlete. Both absolute bulls at the ball.

What does wines do so much better than tigger? Is Wines slightly higher tank really the thing that puts him that far in front? 13.2 beep test and top 40% 3km time trial are not terrible scores and that is probably lower due to still recovering from his injury.
Quigley rates him down because he couldn't play in the midfield and was forced to play backline due to an injury. Does that mean we will see Toumpas slide as well?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Just putting this out there to guys like Tigs and M_R (who know a s--t load more in this area than me). Taylor Garner looks to be set to go around top 15-20. So how is it he finished lower than top 2 in stingrays B&F. Has anyone heard what the downsides to him are ?? Just seems a little unusual to me. Cheers in advance.

Just putting this out there to guys like Tigs and M_R (who know a s--t load more in this area than me). Taylor Garner looks to be set to go around top 15-20. So how is it he finished lower than top 2 in stingrays B&F. Has anyone heard what the downsides to him are ?? Just seems a little unusual to me. Cheers in advance.
Garner only played 8 out of a possible 18 games, due to other commitments. Much the same as Whitfield.
This link is a good read: http://www.sportingpulse.com/club_i...D=157502&&news_task=DETAIL&articleID=20897977
Down the bottom shows average votes per game.
Garner played mainly as a fwd and as we know most awards and votes go to the midfielders.

There are a few other than just the top liners that I would class as elite kicks. Won't name them all, but Vlastuin is not amongst them. It's not a bad thing, I never intended it to sound like that, I just kept hearing on this forum he was elite in his kicking, in this regard I wanted to question it. His kicking is no issue at all.

For instance, I want Grundy, but he is not an elite kick. It is no issue, there are other qualities that are elite that we would value.

Vlastuin would be an upgrade on Tuck and Jackson as inside on ballers as a guide, no doubt, the questions are now a) Is he the best available on the board when we select, and b) Will he get to our pick anyway?

I haven't had the information like MR that a few clubs rate him top 5. In my talks and discussions most recruiters I talked to mentioned he was either going at about his range at 9 or it was a very slight reach. It was understandable that he may fit the criteria of what we are after though.

Brisbane are hoping for a drop and I seriously doubt if Menzel is there, they take Vlastuin in front of him from my information. This could be wrong. I know a poster who does good Phantom Drafts rated him at Pick 2 earlier in the year, but with all due respect to that poster, I would not read too much into that. It is why I don't talk about next years crop here in terms of rankings and draft positions and even potential. Things change, Jack Darling as a 17 year old was Pick 1 by a mile, he went the next year in the 20's. Circumstances contributed but you get my point, it happens every year.

Vlastuin would be a sound selection, low risk but we know what we are getting. Matchwinner? Some say yes on here, I respect their opinion but will disagree again. He is that tier two player who helps the team be better, but a match winner is reserved for the absolute elite like Cotchin, Deledio, Martin and Riewoldt.

It is also important to remember this week is when we will hear all sorts of rumours, most are teams throwing others off course.

yes mate this was my point. some posters were saying we should not pick him bc he is not an elite kick yet what would be the % of draftees that are 20 %? so should we avoid all that are not? i just think sometimes we over analise things a little and while some are not elite doesnt mean they are poor kickers.

My first round. What do you think??

1. Greater Western Sydney - L. Whitfield
2. Greater Western Sydney - J. Toumpas
3. Greater Western Sydney - L. Plowman
4. Melbourne - O. Wines
5. Western Bulldogs - T. Menzel
6. Western Bulldogs - J. O'Rourke
7. Port Adelaide - B. Grundy
8. Brisbane Lions - J. McCrae
9. Richmond - N. Vlastuin
10. Essendon - J. Daniher
11. Carlton - S. Mayes
12. Greater Western Sydney - K. Jaksch
13. Gold Coast - D. Garlett
14. Greater Western Sydney - J. Stringer
15. North Melbourne - T. Garner
16. Geelong - B. Kennedy
17. Fremantle - N. Hrovot
18. Collingwood - M. Shaw
19. Collingwood - J. Lonergan
20. Adelaide - T. O'Brien
21. Collingwood - T. Membrey
22. Western Bulldogs - A. Corr
23. Sydney Swans - T. Clurey

Slow was probably the wrong word - more like we lack classy players with genuine pace. Deledio is probably our fastest quality player and he ain't exactly Jetta and at 25 and that size he won't get faster, White has lost place and can't play anyway, not sure King is that quick anymore & Foley definitely isn't. Some players like Edwards & Nahas look fast because they're skinny, twitchy & evasive, but they really aren't. Morris occasionally creates an illusion of speed because he charges at everything, the same way King can look quick with his arms cocked, head bobbing and little legs pumping furiously. Cotchin is very quick off the mark and has that hypnotic ability that only the freakish few possess to slow down time and draw away from players without really leaving the lower gears but isn't fast in real terms.

imo deledio,foley,morris,king,white,cotchin,edwards,nahas represent quick enough players. i think jetta is an exception to the rule compared with nearly all other clubs. its also about how fast you move the ball.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back