2012 draft

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
We'll have to agree to disagree here RT.
I'll just give you one example of what I mean. Hawthorn in 2007 selected Rioli at around number 12. At that point there were a number of "safer" but more boring options. Their risk taking paid dividends. They won the premiership the next year and although he did not do it single handedly, he certainly contributed greatly to the cause. I doubt they would have won it without him although we can argue here.
My point is exactly that. In a game of football you rarely win the big games unless your team takes risks. Playing safe doesn't bring the ultimate success. I feel drafting is the same. I'm talking of calculated risks though, not speculative. Guys like Kennedy, Simpson and Garlett are all top rated players and are unlikely to bomb out. But their upside, like Rioli or Jetta is huge. Their presence and ability to do things others cannot often are game changing on the biggest stage of all. After all I want to win the premiership not just sneak into the eight. These safer X factor types are more likely to do that. Guys like Vlastuin may not. It's a matter of opinion of course.
The difference between us and the Hawks is they had a pretty good lineup already and Rioli was scene as a final piece to give them that dynamic difference. As I've mentioned we have a pretty good dynamic group but our blue collar group, IMO, is lacking. While we have the likes of Grigg, Tuck, Conca, Houli, Newman and Ellis who are a solid group after that it falls away a bit. Get more quality in to make that group better and the dynamic guys will be much better placed to perform at their match winning best.

Kennedy and Garlett were a lot better at the champs. Vlastuin's were quite poor by comparison so if your taking the better current player then it would go Kenneds>>>Garlett>Vlastuin>>Simpson.
Vlastuin was playing the champs under an injury cloud and yet still managed to be named in the AA side at the end of the champs.

Geelong and Hawthorn cut teams apart
imo deledio,foley,morris,king,white,cotchin,edwards,nahas represent quick enough players. i think jetta is an exception to the rule compared with nearly all other clubs. its also about how fast you move the ball.
Exactly, the Geelong team dominated teams by executing a play on/hit the target footy. Direct contested footy, not necessarily pace (they did have some pacy outsiders) but more excellent skills by hand and foot.
More recently, Hawthorn has cut teams apart by elite foot skills, picking apart the zone (they also have some pace).
Sydney traditionally played lock down, contested footy, only recently injecting a more attacking gameplan.

The common theme is they ALL have big bodied, strong contested footy types to win the footy. The frills came later.
Considering we haven't played finals for 11 years, or even been in the 8 since 2008, we have to address these needs first.

Pure talent & ability wise we have players like
Menzel,Stringer,Grundy,Whitfield,Toumpas,Plowman,Wines,McCrae,Garlett,O'Rourke.

Surely our selection must come from 1 of these players,We simply can NOT trade quality/class for players that are safer options that are looked at as Tuck,Jackson Replacment.

Our workmen/workhorse blue collar players should be the players that we bring in with later selections or trade into the team under FA or Psd

Best Pick = Best available Talent

Geelong and Hawthorn cut teams apart
Exactly, the Geelong team dominated teams by executing a play on/hit the target footy. Direct contested footy, not necessarily pace (they did have some pacy outsiders) but more excellent skills by hand and foot.
More recently, Hawthorn has cut teams apart by elite foot skills, picking apart the zone (they also have some pace).
Sydney traditionally played lock down, contested footy, only recently injecting a more attacking gameplan.

The common theme is they ALL have big bodied, strong contested footy types to win the footy. The frills came later.
Considering we haven't played finals for 11 years, or even been in the 8 since 2008, we have to address these needs first.
I would have thought our team was full of dedicated foot soldiers with no x factor for the last 11 years! Apart from Richo there was nobody that could turn the game around and have a touch of class. That is what we need more of now. Cotchin, Deledio and Martin need another partner in this regard. I still believe that solid inside mids would be there at 32 and 34. The class that determines are more inside/outside player will most likely be gone by then. Didn't Sydney recruit Josh Kennedy, Lewis Jetta and Gary Rohan at the same time in 2009? So their inside man was recruited at the same time and their first choices were Rohan at 6 and Jetta at 14. Interesting!

Hi guys.

This is a really intriguing draft. So much uncertainty.

I'm really uncomfortable with the fact it seems like we'll overlook Brodie Grundy if he's available.

I have no idea where this Aidan Corr talk comes from, and I'm pretty sure I saw something about Kristian Jaksch yesterday. Weird.

I do think there'll be a slider we don't expect.

At the moment I'm thinking O'Rourke, Stringer or Wines. I think a lot depends on the GWS/Toumpas situation and then in turn if Melbourne were to take Toumpas or Wines. I believe if Wines gets past Melbourne, he'll be at 9, hence why I had him at 9 in my Phantom Draft on the logic Melbourne wouldn't be silly enough to overlook Toumpas.

I'm also a massive fan of Jake Stringer. He divides a lot of opinion, but I'd be disappointed if we overlooked him at 9.

Having said all that, Nick Vlastuin is one of my favourites in the draft.

Looking forward to Thursday night.

Just my 2 bobs worth after reading the thread and watching some highlight videos.

Like Menzel 1st then Grundy as my choices who could slide, if they are gone would rather get Vlastuin than Lonergan. Vlastuin looks to have great hands and rarely seems to fumble.

The other one I like but not 100% sure about is Stringer, could be our redemption on missing Pav all those years ago!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Just my 2 bobs worth after reading the thread and watching some highlight videos.

Like Menzel 1st then Grundy as my choices who could slide, if they are gone would rather get Vlastuin than Lonergan. Vlastuin looks to have great hands and rarely seems to fumble.

The other one I like but not 100% sure about is Stringer, could be our redemption on missing Pav all those years ago!
Funny enough, I was thinking exactly the same thing!

Having Jake Stringer, Brett Deledio, Trent Cotchin and Dustin Martin as mid/fwd options gives me funny feelings.

Maric, Simmonds, Stafford and Greg Dear are the last 4 rucks that we have traded for and all have been serviceable at worse. In fact it would be fair to say that when we target a ruck in trades it usually comes off.
As much as I liked Dreamboat Stafford, that was an awful trade. Gave up pick 17 in a superdraft for a bloke who had three years left. Pick 17 ended up as James Kelly, who's still playing great footy 11 years later.

I would have thought our team was full of dedicated foot soldiers with no x factor for the last 11 years! Apart from Richo there was nobody that could turn the game around and have a touch of class. That is what we need more of now. Cotchin, Deledio and Martin need another partner in this regard. I still believe that solid inside mids would be there at 32 and 34. The class that determines are more inside/outside player will most likely be gone by then. Didn't Sydney recruit Josh Kennedy, Lewis Jetta and Gary Rohan at the same time in 2009? So their inside man was recruited at the same time and their first choices were Rohan at 6 and Jetta at 14. Interesting!
Fair call, but in Dimma's reign he's had to retire them or f^&ked them off. It's been a total rebuild. Our free agency/recruiting has been great, our drafting has been good.
We need another rotation through the middle who can hold his own, win his own ball.
While at #9 might be considered safe/conservative, I don't think the #32,#34 will impact quite as much (Based on recent drafts, or more specifically mids we have picked at that range.) No one in here is underestimating the importance of this selection, people just have differing views on who it should be!
Either way, I'm excited for whoever we pick up. (Don't know enough about these kids to be disappointed if we overlook someone).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back