2012 draft

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Saw Tom Lee play for Claremont on the weekend against Port Melbourne.....Geez he's a talent. How he hasn't been picked up yet is mind boggling

This is probably our most important draft yet.

We are going to have a top ten pick again this year at this rate and I think we need another genuine mid to come in. I think at the moment we would receive pick 8 in a strong draft so should get a pretty good player.

We also have two picks around 25 and 35. This is where we really need to nail it as pick 8 should be straight forward. I would love to see us pick up a couple of classy HFF/Mid types. A few years ago I thought we should have activated the compo pick and got Kieren Harper...after seeing him play yesterday my opinion has not changed. We need that type though.......

Would kill for a Harper. Menzel would be a good candidate. Problem is, we have no chance of getting him unless we take him with our first pick (and I don't want us to do that). Whatever our second pick is, it will be immediately after Port's, and I really can't seem them letting a talented young South Australian slip past.

Would kill for a Harper. Menzel would be a good candidate. Problem is, we have no chance of getting him unless we take him with our first pick (and I don't want us to do that). Whatever our second pick is, it will be immediately after Port's, and I really can't seem them letting a talented young South Australian slip past.

I haven't followed this years crop like I have in the past but I wanted us to take Harper at 6 in 2010 and so was shattered when we could have had him with our compo. I forgot we need to barrack for Port to finish down the ladder. It's beginning of 3rd round compo isn't it? So roughly 35-40? Or is beginning of second round?

I haven't followed this years crop like I have in the past but I wanted us to take Harper at 6 in 2010 and so was shattered when we could have had him with our compo. I forgot we need to barrack for Port to finish down the ladder. It's beginning of 3rd round compo isn't it? So roughly 35-40? Or is beginning of second round?
It's just a second round pick, immediately following Port's second round pick. So yeah, we want them to finish as low as possible. I agree we need to take a mid with our first pick, there's plenty of good ones to choose from this year. And then a classy half forward is absolutely the next priority. Our forward line is a bit of a mess at the moment.

Marlon Motlop? Seems to be playing pretty good footy this year. Not sure what happened at Port.

Couldn't get fit could he?
Yeah could have been it. Is averaging 21 touches and a couple of tackles for Swan Districts this year. Hasn't been hitting the scoreboard though so must be playing through the middle. Wouldn't mind having a look anyway.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

One from left field but what are peoples thoughts on going after Jack Martin who is 17 yr old and likely top 3 pick next year in the mini draft. Say we give up pick 9 for him or even Pick 9 and a player like Nahas??

Think doing something like this means we might have to wait a year but we can get an out and out gun mid.

One from left field but what are peoples thoughts on going after Jack Martin who is 17 yr old and likely top 3 pick next year in the mini draft. Say we give up pick 9 for him or even Pick 9 and a player like Nahas??

Think doing something like this means we might have to wait a year but we can get an out and out gun mid.
Would happily do that. If it doesn't get pick 1 I'd offer up our pick for the 2nd mini-draft pick. There's a chance someone will take Hogan first then we get a bargain.

Would happily do that. If it doesn't get pick 1 I'd offer up our pick for the 2nd mini-draft pick. There's a chance someone will take Hogan first then we get a bargain.

Hmmmmm, for Martin absolutely. But surely our pick ?9 and a player like Nahas won't be enough?

Yeah I am not sure what would get it done was just throwing up an example..albeit a poor one. Although I just checked and Adelaide gave up pick 10 for the 2nd mini pick in last years weak draft.
Crows gave up a compo pick too which was directly after their first rounder. Which GWS would have thought would have been a top 10 pick but has turned into a pick about 20ish because of Adelaide's form.

i'll throw one from left field and say we should take Jackson Starcevich with a rookie pick - 194cms, key forward, long king and, like his father, can run all day. Has a good set of hands as well and has kicked 20+ goals for Morningside and Brisbane lions Reserves from just over half the games. Would be a long term pickup, but with our derth of KPP, he would be one that would go under the radar. (except he can go to C'wood under father/son, which i doubt they would, and Brisbane are getting a good look at him)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back