2012 draft

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Brett Anderson the journo from Inside Footy has us selecting Ben Kennedy in his first round mock draft.

I think he would be available at our pick and would have an instant impact. For those who haven't seen him play, he is a very similar player to Devon Smith from GWS but I would say he is a better player at under 18 level than Devon was and Ben has been playing very well for a very long time at U18 level.

He is the type of player who if he was 5 cm taller would be much more highly rated. He has a very well rounded game and is elite inside and out IMO, he's a strong tackler and has a freakish ability around goal.

Do you have a link?

TFLUA-Tiger Seeing as you've seen a lot of the Pioneers what's your attitude towards us using our first round pick on Stringer if he's available?

It's a risk no matter how you look at it - I think if you pick him, that you're hoping like hell that his leg continues to get better and that he regains his pace, fitness and mobility.

I'm not one of those people who thinks he'll play exclusively as a forward at AFL level, and I wouldn't draft him as a forward.

Instead, if you draft him I think it's in the Colin Sylvia mould, a big bodied midfielder who can float forward and turn a game.

As a midfielder, Stringer wills himself to get the ball first, and can clear the packs with big thumping kicks, or link up with other midfielders and you'll soon see the ball sweeping up the field. I don't think his kicking is the most precise it's been yet - but it's not bad.

But he's done that sort of thing for maybe one game since he's broken his leg. That's enough to show that he can do all this again, but with his body shape he should be ripping up TAC more than he is.

Depending on medical reports, and assuming that he fits our drafting criterion I'd be thrilled to have him as a tiger in 2013.

Wouldn't mind Kennedy at all. I would have Dion Prestia in our side in a heartbeat. If Kennedy is as good or better than him he would be a great in. Think our greatest need is midfield depth. Need both inside ball getters to replace Tuck and Jacko and outside finishers so can plump for best available mid. Would love someone who could break lines like Kennedy.

Here's the inside footy mock. As you can see Brett rates some players who have missed a bit of footy through injury very highly.

1. Gold Coast
Lachie Whitfield (Dandenong Stingrays)
Ht: 184cm. Wt: 74kg. Position: midfield/forward.
Class act. Does it all well and with minimal fuss.

2. GWS Giants
Brodie Grundy (Sturt)
Ht: 202cm. Wt: 100kg. Position: ruck.
The best ruck prospect since Nic Naitanui. Athletic and has a bit of "mongrel" about him.

3. Melbourne
Jimmy Toumpas (Woodville-West Torrens)
Ht: 183cm. Wt: 77kg. Position: midfield.
A Rolls-Royce in the SA midfield. Oozes class and leadership.

4. Melbourne ^
Lachlan Plowman (Calder Cannons)
Ht: 193cm. Wt: 86kg. Position: defender.
Missed the championships through injury but is the best rebounding key defender.

5. Port Adelaide
Troy Menzel (Central District)
Ht: 186cm. Wt: 77kg. Position: midfield/forward.
Brother of Dan. Smart midfielder who knows where the goals are. Coming off LARS surgery.

6. Western Bulldogs
Josh Simpson (East Fremantle)
Ht: 183cm. Wt: 72kg. Position: midfield.
Silky skilled midfielder rated as a top three pick by some recruiters. Good inside and out.

7. Western Bulldogs ^^
Jake Stringer (Bendigo Pioneers)
Ht: 191cm. Wt: 91kg. Position: midfield/forward.
Broke his leg last season and still working back to fitness. Super talent though.

8. Brisbane Lions
Dayle Garlett (Swan Districts)
Ht: 181cm. Wt: 75kg. Position: midfield.

Smooth, left-footed outside midfielder who can play up forward.

9. Fremantle
Mason Shaw (South Fremantle)
Ht: 198cm. Wt: 92kg. Position: forward/ruck.
Only a fair carnival but has kicked plenty of goals in the WAFL colts.

10. North Melbourne
Jonathan O'Rourke (Calder Cannons)
Ht: 183cm. Wt: 75kg. Position: midfield.
Inside ball winner who is tough and a smart finisher. Missed most of 2011 with injury.

11. Richmond
Ben Kennedy (Glenelg)
Ht: 174cm. Wt: 76kg. Position: midfield.
Only small but a booming left footer with great pace.

12. Carlton
Oliver Wines (Bendigo Pioneers)
Ht: 185cm. Wt: 83kg. Position: midfield.
Big bodied midfielder who had a great carnival. A perfect fit for an undersized Blues midfield.

13. Melbourne ^^^
Sam Mayes (North Adelaide)
Ht: 187cm. Wt: 78kg. Position: midfield/forward.
Moved into the midfield this year and has flourished. Great athlete.

14. St Kilda
Tanner Smith (North Ballarat Rebels)
Ht: 194cm. Wt: 83kg. Position: defender.
Lock-down key defender with good closing speed. Another good fit.

15. Geelong Cats
Matthew Haynes (Northern Knights)
Ht: 189cm. Wt: 76kg. Position: midfield.
Line-breaker with blinding pace. Adds run to a slowing midfield.

16. Essendon
Joe Daniher (Calder Cannons) – father/son
Ht: 201cm. Wt: 89kg. Position: forward/ruck.
Top three talent. Great mark and long left foot kick.

17. Hawthorn
Nick Vlastuin (Northern Knights)
Ht: 187cm. Wt: 83kg. Position: midfield.
Good both inside and out and a smart ball user – qualities the Hawks love.

18. Collingwood
Laine Wilkins (Peel Thunder)
Ht: 189cm. Wt: 78kg. Position: midfield/forward.
Athletic type who has a burst of speed and nice left boot.

19. Adelaide
Tom Clurey (Murray Bushrangers)
Ht: 193cm. Wt: 86kg. Position: defender.
Elite kick on both sides; ran a 15 beep test, can play tall and small.

20. GWS GIANTS #
Jackson MacRae (Oakleigh Chargers)
Ht: 188cm. Wt: 75kg. Position: midfield/forward.
Smart left footer who can play midfield and forward. Has a knack of kicking goals.

21. West Coast
Sam LOWRIE (South Fremantle)
Ht: 187cm. Wt: 80kg. Position: midfield.
Prototypical size for a modern midfielder. Can win own ball and is a good runner.

22. Sydney Swans
Kristian Jaksch (Oakleigh Chargers)
Ht: 194cm. Wt: 85kg. Position: forward.
Can play at both ends but looks at home up forward.

23. Brisbane Lions ##
Liam McBEAN (Calder Cannons)
Ht: 201cm. Wt: 83kg. Position: defender/forward.
Great kick on both sides, and extremely athletic. Transitioned to defence recently with good effect.

http://www.insidefootballonline.com/feature.html

Just from that list and those descriptions.

Kennedy sounds like Nahas mkII but with a better kick. For those that have seen him, is that a fair comparison?

Also for the keen draft watchers, why should we take him over some of the other names that have been variously bandied about that come later in that list such as Wines, Haynes and Vlastuin?

Kennedy sounds like Nahas mkII but with a better kick. For those that have seen him, is that a fair comparison?

Also for the keen draft watchers, why should we take him over some of the other names that have been variously bandied about that come later in that list such as Wines, Haynes and Vlastuin?
Haven't seen him that I recall, but have heard him likened to Jarryd Blair of Collingwood. Interesting to compare to Knightmare and see they have some fairly significant differences in their respective mock drafts at this stage... Our recruiters may have their eye on someone a little left field, so it's largely irrelevant, but I like seeing names and descriptions.

Would like it if guys like Jaksch or McBean slide to our two 2nd round picks.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Would love to get either of one of Mayes, Wines, Stringer or Kennedy in that order.
Watched the WA vs SA u18 championships game today and like the look of Kennedy. He contests everything thing that comes his way, tackles, etc. A class above Nahas.(early to mid 1st round)
Mayes- all class. strong bodied midfielder.(early 1st round)
McDonough- strong bodied medium forward. Very smart at using his body to his advantage and a good shot on goal.( late first round to late 2nd round).

I believe Kennedy is the small forward/mid that would add a touch of class to our team, a lot like Nathan brown around goals, amazing goal sense. He's not like Nahas at all.

You'd be getting to watch this kind of brilliance every week.

Looks good in a tigers jumper.

I believe Kennedy is the small forward/mid that would add a touch of class to our team, a lot like Nathan brown around goals, amazing goal sense. He's not like Nahas at all.

seems a bit short don't you think?? people always complain about how nahas always gets knocked off the ball, what about this guy??

Nothing like Nahas apart from the height. He's stockier and stronger. Elite kick and can thump it a mile can kick ridiculous goals, clearance machine. Like I said nothing like Nahas, except the pace.

Of those you;ve names i'd go in order Wines, Kennedy, Vlastuin, Haynes.

Nothing like Nahas apart from the height. He's stockier and stronger. Elite kick and can thump it a mile can kick ridiculous goals, clearance machine. Like I said nothing like Nahas, except the pace.

Of those you;ve names i'd go in order Wines, Kennedy, Vlastuin, Haynes.

So he's not like Nahas clears that up :D

Can't see us passing on Wines or Mayes if they're stll available at our pick. Having said that Kennedy looks like he will be a gun small forward who can run through the middle. I'm hoping we can land Menzel. Goal kicking midfielders are gold. There will be great choices for our first pick, but also for every other club. The key will be who we go for with our second round picks.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back