2012 Membership Tally - Part2

Remove this Banner Ad

Does anyone know if the AFL will count non-ticketed members this year?

Richmond and Essneendon's final numbers got dragged back quite a bit last year with their exclusion, whereas some teams just didn't include them from get go.

Are Richmond and Essendon counting those now?
Which teams are and which aren't?

Richmond had barely 40k ticketed members last season which was in fact the first time they have hit 40k. They had 8k fan donations or similar they tried to pass off as memberships that obviously didn't get past AFL auditors leaving the club and fans alike redfaced. Of the 36k member tally listed on the website currently just over 30k are ticketed members which puts them below Geelong and marginally ahead of St Kilda on the current tally

Richmond had barely 40k ticketed members last season which was in fact the first time they have hit 40k. They had 8k fan donations or similar they tried to pass off as memberships that obviously didn't get past AFL auditors leaving the club and fans alike redfaced. Of the 36k member tally listed on the website currently just over 30k are ticketed members which puts them below Geelong and marginally ahead of St Kilda on the current tally

And people say Richmond supporters are the idiots in this thread...

Instead we have people too ashamed to name their club trying to stir things up.

And people say Richmond supporters are the idiots in this thread...

Instead we have people too ashamed to name their club trying to stir things up.

Carlton supporter, would know this if you weren't wet behind the ears. :p

What are you talking about? Ticketed or non ticketed it is still a membership..

Its still a membership sold by the Richmond Football Club and if you look at the membership revenue it is higher than clubs who sold more memberships than us (Bombers and Hawks) and higher than Carlton's who had a higher audited afl figure but sold less memberships.

What matters is the revenue and the revenue was better than most clubs.

What are you talking about? Ticketed or non ticketed it is still a membership..

Its still a membership sold by the Richmond Football Club and if you look at the membership revenue it is higher than clubs who sold more memberships than us (Bombers and Hawks) and higher than Carlton's who had a higher audited afl figure but sold less memberships.

What matters is the revenue and the revenue was better than most clubs.

I could buy a 'House Cats' membership, since I'll never be able to attend a game this year, and it would be money for the club - but it won't be reflected as a membership on both the club's site and in the final accounting.

That's the point, really. If the Tigers are currently counting non-season ticket memberships that don't count in the official tally then it's inflating the legitimate total of memberships that can be counted. I doubt it's just Richmond that's doing it, but I am pretty sure Geelong and most other clubs never count those types of memberships except on their own balance sheets.

I could buy a 'House Cats' membership, since I'll never be able to attend a game this year, and it would be money for the club - but it won't be reflected as a membership on both the club's site and in the final accounting.

That's the point, really. If the Tigers are currently counting non-season ticket memberships that don't count in the official tally then it's inflating the legitimate total of memberships that can be counted. I doubt it's just Richmond that's doing it, but I am pretty sure Geelong and most other clubs never count those types of memberships except on their own balance sheets.

You'd be surprised. The AFL audits over the years have reduced several clubs membership numbers significantly when eliminating non access memberships. Carlton are among the few who never have counted them.

last year:
West Coast - 10,000 non access
Richmond/Essendon/Sydney - 7,000+ non access
Port - 4,000+ non access

more details for last year: (the original blog post is currently unavailable)
http://www.bigfooty.com/forum/showpost.php?p=21709175&postcount=392

And what points that Copernicus, seriously If you're going to make comments bout RFC inflating the legitimate total etc perhaps it would pay to read the last few pages of this thread to understand it all and i did on (page 17) paste a link, which ive pasted just below again....

I did mention this with a full explanation on page 4 of this thread (3rd post down)
http://www.bigfooty.com/forum/showth...=911373&page=4

The AFL audits over the years have reduced several clubs membership numbers significantly when eliminating non access memberships. Carlton are among the few who never have counted them.

last year:
West Coast - 10,000 non access
Richmond/Essendon/Sydney - 7,000+ non access
Port - 4,000+ non access

Wookie fyi those 7,000 non access are real people...ive explained it many times not sure how many more times it can be said....Are you saying you dont count your U6 members well of course u do as we do, cause that's where the 7,000 come from for the RFC, we dont pay the $7 barcode fee to appear on the membership card as U6's get in for free anyway thus saving the club 50K....no barcode and the AFL deem that non-access as how can u scan to get in, my point to the AFL was you dont need a barcode to get in for U6's, grossly unfair as these 7,000 form part of RFC's Baby Tiger and Tiger Cubs Club membership....

Wookie fyi those 7,000 non access are real people...ive explained it many times not sure how many more times it can be said....Are you saying you dont count your U6 members well of course u do, cause thats where the 7,000 come from for the RFC, we dont pay the $7 barcode fee to appear on the membership card as U6's get in for free anyway thus saving the club 50K....

Mate, you can explain it however you like. The fact is the AFL dont count yours as access members. Nor have you explained just how you know the AFL is changing the audit rules to accomodate the tigers "massive" membership. There is not a shred of evidence to support this in any official documentation that ive been able to locate - thats not to say it doesnt exist - simply that i havent found it.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

And what points that Copernicus, seriously If you're going to make comments bout RFC inflating the legitimate total etc perhaps it would pay to read the last few pages of this thread to understand it all and i did on (page 17) paste a link, which ive pasted just below again....

I did mention this with a full explanation on page 4 of this thread (3rd post down)
http://www.bigfooty.com/forum/showth...=911373&page=4

I've read the thread. So far I have not seen any actual evidence that the AFL is going to count memberships that were previously not counted. If the tallies at the end of June come out and show these previously uncounted memberships, then so be it. I just don't have any reason to believe that they will. What is your source?

Mate, you can explain it however you like. The fact is the AFL dont count yours as access members. Nor have you explained just how you know the AFL is changing the audit rules to accomodate the tigers "massive" membership. There is not a shred of evidence to support this in any official documentation that ive been able to locate - thats not to say it doesnt exist - simply that i havent found it.

Well i beg to differ and real people should be counted in the official count as i made this very clear to the AFL, anyways that's the crust of it, if they weren't real people i wouldn't even bother debating this...

Also, in regards to your other point i replied to flea a few post up...

It doesn't matter whether the AFL count "non access" members or not.

What does matter is that such members pay good money to their clubs for what they regard as memberships and what the clubs regard as de facto raising revenue memberships.

The reality that these people matter is seen in the total match day cum membership income for the likes of Richmond and Essendon who have thousands of such people.

Whether the AFL count them or not you can be sure the revenue dept. of the club count the mucho mucho dollari thus raised.

Now that club membership numbers do not have any bearing with anything official such as allocation of GF tickets, they will soon count all people that contribute financially to clubs as members. And so they should.

AD wants to maximise numbers.
Two reasons for this: -
1. Publicly stated goal to have 1 million members by 2020. (AD probably gets a bonus for this).
2. NRL really pushing memberships hard and counting all members - match day or not.
The NRL has had a 1000% increase in membership numbers since 2008. This year or next, for the first time, Broncos could have more members than Lions, South Sydney more than Sydney Swans.
Whilst no NRL club will ever catch Collingwood or Hawthorn, clubs like St George, Newcastle, West Tigers could all soon pass the likes of North & Bulldogs.
As hard as it is to believe, NRL clubs are just working out the value of memberships and reserve seating. E.g. Wests play in a 20K stadium that will be sold out for home games before the season starts. Clubs are now starting to take advantage of supply and demand factors of small stadiums.
As a result, NRL club revenue will skyrocket over the next decade. And sold out games will boost TV rights.

This is all part of the AFL V NRL PR war.

So, congratulations to Tiger fans - after years of having to justify your small membership, the true level of Tiger support will soon be there for all to see.

SN_280px.jpg

Remove this Banner Ad

2012 Membership Tally - Part2

Remove this Banner Ad

Back