2012 SC Defenders

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Once again, Darley not in the 22. What the hell is going on. I've been away for the last 4 weeks, but he cant have been playing that bad.

Lost patience with Darley as sick of copping a donut in the backs (Brouhgton, S.Shaw, Darley) so traded him to Grima this week. :thumbsu:

Defenders ... the biggest let down again this season.

Got 1 more upgrade in the backs remaining .... looking at either H.Shaw, Waters, Scotland or Birchall.

What's making the decision hard though is none of Shaw, Waters and Birchall have an easy run over the finals rounds. All play tough sides where points won't come easy.

Thought on the 4 above? Who would you bring in?

Got 1 more upgrade in the backs remaining .... looking at either H.Shaw, Waters, Scotland or Birchall.

What's making the decision hard though is none of Shaw, Waters and Birchall have an easy run over the finals rounds. All play tough sides where points won't come easy.

Heater if you can afford him.

I've found myself in a worse predicament, where I'd planned to get Shaw/Waters in but can only afford Hurn. I'm trying to convince myself that, with so many Paterson's and MCG games remaining, he'll be ok. What are people's thoughts? I already have Lids, Goddard, Birchall, Carrazzo, Grima, and Yarran.

Heater if you can afford him.

I've found myself in a worse predicament, where I'd planned to get Shaw/Waters in but can only afford Hurn. I'm trying to convince myself that, with so many Paterson's and MCG games remaining, he'll be ok. What are people's thoughts? I already have Lids, Goddard, Birchall, Carrazzo, Grima, and Yarran.

Hurn is in the same boat as Waters ... Cats, Pies and Hawks over the finals. Whilst none of those teams usually tag too hard the concern is obviously there are many high point scorers for each of those teams. Therefore need to be mondful of the points spread given the SC scoring system and the fact it is capped. When the top sides meet and the games are close the scores are pretty spread and only a few will pull in a big score.

I'm keeping the above in mind when it comes to Saints and Blues players. Both play easier teams in weeks 1 and 3 of finals, however play eachother in grand final week and therefore being mindful not to have too many players from the 1 game.

If I was to upgrade a defender it would be out of Lake, Newman or Broughton (bench). Who would you upgrade?

They are all pretty sketchy. I've got Lake and considering dumping him because while he averages okay he is prone to stinkers pretty often. Broughton's price is so bad that you probably have to keep him.

Think you've answered it for your self.

Yeah but already have too many blues and saints players and if I make it they play eachother grand final week. Mindful of having too many from same team.
I'm not sure it makes any difference. Getting a player won't effect what he scores just because you already have some of his team mates. If you think Scotland will score well over the final weeks, that's all you need to think about. Does someone without any Carlton players mean Scotland will score more in their team than yours? No.

I'm not sure it makes any difference. Getting a player won't effect what he scores just because you already have some of his team mates. If you think Scotland will score well over the final weeks, that's all you need to think about. Does someone without any Carlton players mean Scotland will score more in their team than yours? No.
Ahh logic, its often lost on the best of us.

I'm in the same boat. Leaning towards Birchall simply becuase I may be able to get him in a straight swap. If i'm forced to downgrade in order to get the extra cash though, i'd be going Waters. Tough run home, but 3 of the next 5 at Patersons works in his favour imo.

Ahh logic, its often lost on the best of us.

I'm in the same boat. Leaning towards Birchall simply becuase I may be able to get him in a straight swap. If i'm forced to downgrade in order to get the extra cash though, i'd be going Waters. Tough run home, but 3 of the next 5 at Patersons works in his favour imo.
I said the same about Hurn. :-(

Time to fix my inconsistent backline.

Time for Lake to go and Broughton needs upgrading.

Lake for: Shaw, Waters, Scotland, Birchall or Enright?

Broughton for: Grimes, Adcock, Hurn, Fisher, Johnson or Murphy?

Thoughts? :thumbsu:

Leaning towards Waters and Fisher (given they playu Melb and GWS during finals). Missed the Saints game on the weekend, but according to fanfooty 73 out of his 104 points came in the last qtr. What changed in the last qtr?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I see your point. Just a bit concerned about having too many from 1 game given the SC points scoring system is capped per game. Therefore if you have a number of good players in 1 potentially close game they will spread the points and not score as well vs a good player in a more 1 sided game who will get a better weighting.

I see your point. Just a bit concerned about having too many from 1 game given the SC points scoring system is capped per game. Therefore if you have a number of good players in 1 potentially close game they will spread the points and not score as well vs a good player in a more 1 sided game who will get a better weighting.
That's true, except you already have the other players, so you only need to think about what Scotland will score. If you think he'll do well against the Saints then he's worth picking, because you'll get the scores from the other players regardless. If you think he'll struggle or be mediocre, that's when you'd look at someone else.

The theory of not having several players from the same time doesn't make much sense to me. Does the points cap even come into play most of the time? I wouldn't think so.

Am I the only one considering playing Spurr over Lake?

The theory of not having several players from the same time doesn't make much sense to me. Does the points cap even come into play most of the time? I wouldn't think so.

Am I the only one considering playing Spurr over Lake?

Yes, every game. Each game is scaled, either up or down, to have a total of 3300 points. Their argument is that with a certain quota available to any one game, that perhaps having too many players from one team will see them dilute each other's scoring. I see the point, but counter that the same should be said for players who that team is playing against, eg. Goddard, Hayes, McEvoy, and Riewoldt in the GF, and that Scotland has been averaging 100 this year with all of those people in their team for the better part of the season anyway. I guess that their fear is that, for instance, Yarran will run through the middle and take six bounces before kicking the winning goal with three seconds remaining, and that this will dilute the points available to the rest of the Carlton players. I would argue that you want as many players as possible to jag that big score if you feel this is the case, or none at all.

Ultimately, I think that they are thinking far too much about the implications of the score cap, and that the number from one team should be of concern only before the bye period.

I would go either Waters or Shaw; Keep in mind that Birchall has Port Adelaide and Gold Coast coming up so should get decent scores for the first 2 weeks of finals. The only worry for Birchall is he may be rested.

On another note, can anybody shed some light on Troy Chaplin from Port? I have him in my side and I know he had surgery 2 weeks ago but Port was saying that he might play again this year; anybody know what is going on with him? And if he won't play again, who do I trade for him? I have $40,000 in the bank and Chaplin is at $420,000 approx. Any good defenders for $460,000?

Only one trade left but don't know whether to trade Chaplin or Dahlhaus.

I would go either Waters or Shaw; Keep in mind that Birchall has Port Adelaide and Gold Coast coming up so should get decent scores for the first 2 weeks of finals. The only worry for Birchall is he may be rested.

On another note, can anybody shed some light on Troy Chaplin from Port? I have him in my side and I know he had surgery 2 weeks ago but Port was saying that he might play again this year; anybody know what is going on with him? And if he won't play again, who do I trade for him? I have $40,000 in the bank and Chaplin is at $420,000 approx. Any good defenders for $460,000?

Only one trade left but don't know whether to trade Chaplin or Dahlhaus.

Goddard would be the obvious one, Grima, Adcock,Fisher, Grimes & Heppel possibly other choices

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back