2013/14 Melbourne Victory Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Getting Troisi would be great.

Last year our whole problem was depth whenever we'd lose players for injuries or internationals we'd be struggling to deal with that with the lack of back ups in those positions.

Hopefully it will be enough this season.

Awesome!!! we're gonna bang em' in
Talented Troisi joins Melbourne Victory
Melbourne Victory's attacking stocks received an additional boost today, with the club confirming it has signed James Troisi on a one-year loan deal.
The 25-year-old Adelaide born, attacking midfielder joins Melbourne Victory on loan from Serie A outfit, Atalanta BC. Troisi has also enjoyed stints at Turkish sides Kayserispor and Gençlerbirligi, as well as English Premier League side Newcastle United.
Melbourne Victory Coach Ange Postecoglou said Troisi would add further potency to his squad.
"Throughout his time in Europe, James has shown that he has the talent and attributes to compete at the highest levels of club football," Postecoglou said.
"At just 25, James is in the prime of his career, so we are extremely excited about what he will bring to Melbourne Victory.
"He obviously has a desire to get back into the Socceroos set-up, and there’s no better way to state his case than to have an impressive A-League season."
Troisi will join his new teammates in Tasmania this week and will be aiming to make his Hyundai A-League debut in Round 1 in the Melbourne Derby on Saturday, October 12 at Etihad Stadium.
James Troisi
D.O.B: July 3, 1988 (25-years-old)
Height: 180cm
Socceroos Apps: 9
Goals: 1
Olyroos Apps: 13
Goals: 2
Previous clubs:
2012-2013: Atalanta BC (6 apps)
2009-2012: Kayserispor (64 apps)
2008-2009: Gençlerbirligi (29 apps)
2007-2008: Newcastle United
To see James and Melbourne Victory in action this season, become a member of a club #LikeNoOther. Click here.
http://www.footballaustralia.com.au...Talented-Troisi-joins-Melbourne-Victory/75645

Squad looks mint now. Double bitchezz

squad is looking good anything other then a Grand Final appearance this season will be a fail

Has Ange lost the plot?

A 35yr old centre back as our "marquee?"

We have had a terrific off season with captures of Nicholls and Barbarouses but Contreras? Just how slow is he going to be?

Troisi is a great get though.

I'm keeping the faith that Contreras can hopefully deliver but I'm not impressed at all by that signing.

IMO, Carlos Hernandez was the one that got away. Major botch.

Has Ange lost the plot?

We have had a terrific off season with captures of Nicholls and Barbarouses but Contreras? Just how slow is he going to be?

I'm keeping the faith that Contreras can hopefully deliver but I'm not impressed at all by that signing.

I can understand people being fustrated and underwhelmed by this signing, I was at first too, but honestly the more I think about it and look at the squad it's exactly what we need. we plug the hole the defence has had ever sence Muscat retired, he brings in plenty of experience the young defenders like Ansell can learn from and no doubt looking at his video highlights on YouTube he can read the play very well and has no hesitation in setting up farward attacks.

Yeah it's not a glamour glitzy signing like Kewell or ADP but purely a football one and if it helps us win trophies then I couldn't give a stuff how old or unknown he previously was.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

High hopes for this year, developing a great squad.

Coe
Traore-Contreras-Leijer-Geria
Milligan
Troisi-Nichols
Finkler
Archie-Barbarouses

Pain and Nabbout coming off the bench. Quality everywhere compared to last year.

Imagine if we managed to pull of Miccoli. Big year ahead

I can understand people being fustrated and underwhelmed by this signing, I was at first too, but honestly the more I think about it and look at the squad it's exactly what we need. we plug the hole the defence has had ever sence Muscat retired, he brings in plenty of experience the young defenders like Ansell can learn from and no doubt looking at his video highlights on YouTube he can read the play very well and has no hesitation in setting up farward attacks.

Yeah it's not a glamour glitzy signing like Kewell or ADP but purely a football one and if it helps us win trophies then I couldn't give a stuff how old or unknown he previously was.

my dad said similar stuff about him being too old, but i immediately thought of Patrick Zwaanswijk. Played 87 games for CCM after joining as a 35 year old.

Squad looks great now though. Love all the young players we have. Ansell, Pain, Nabbout, Geria, Galloway etc.
Add to that Thompson, Milligan, Finkler, Traore and the new signings, and it looks like a nice mix

Has Ange lost the plot?

I regularly follow the Greek league and watched Contreras play every week.
He could possibly be the best player in the A-league.
He's a powerful,quick and skilful defender with great attacking abilities!
Good Marquee signing for you guys!

so what's everyones predicted first 11 for round 1?

Coe​
Geria - Leijer - Contreras - Traore​
Broxham - Jeggo​
Nichols - Archie​
Pain ----------------- Kosta​
Bench: Thomas, Ansell, Troisi, Finkler, Nabbout

what's good about our last 2 signings is that they have already gone through pre-seasons with their clubs in Europe so its just about adjusting to our style.

anyway going by pre-season i think Pain is ahead of Troisi at this stage so wouldn't be surprised to see him get a start against Heart. no Milligan means our midfield looks short on numbers, so hopefully players like Jeggo and Brown can step up throughout the season, as Milligan will probably miss a few games due to national team.

wish Bru would have ****ed off already so we could have brought in 1 more foreigner. at least Traore is closer to getting his oz passport so might have room to bring in someone in January if need be.

extremely confident going into round 1 with Heart missing a few players and a few still not 100%

Pain----Thompson----Barbarouses
Finkler
Milligan--Broxham
Traore-Contreras-Leijer-Geria
Coe

Bench: Nabbout, Galloway, Nicholls, Troisi, L.Thomas

Ansell stiff to miss out. Almost prefer Ansell to Leijer though.

think everyone prefers Ansell to Leijer, although now that we have a more experienced defender at the back and he isn't captain anymore, he might start performing better.

Milligan is with the national team and i don't think Finkler will start, wouldn't wanna risk rushing him in after being out for so long.

--------------Thompson-----------------
-Troisi----------------------Barbarouses-
---------Finkler---------Nicholls---------
----------------Broxham-----------------
Traore----Contreras----Ansell----Galloway
Coe

Subs: Thomas, Pain, Nabbout, Geria, Jeggo

I like Ansell ahead of Leijer, I'd start him going off his performances last year. Pain I prefer as an impact sub rather than a starting player, I think if you introduce him around 60-70 mins in he'll have the extra pace to get in behind opposition full-backs. I'd also take Galloway ahead of Geria, who I think is a touch behind Galloway in terms of his development as a footballer. Jeggo also needs game time this year, I'd like to see him come on as bench cover to strengthen the midfield.

Troisi should be a certain starter.
With the recent signings Melbourne Victory is looking good.
Can't wait for when we meet in Round 2. Should be a good game, hopefully without the off field crap that puts this great rivalry in the headlines for the wrong reasons!!

Ugh no Barbarouses for round 1. He is playing for NZ against an American club and Mexican club since they couldn't arrange any countries to play... Shame the first round is scheduled on a FIFA date. I don't think we necessarily need to have weeks off for FIFA dates as only a handful of players miss out each time this comes but surely next season we go back to starting a week earlier (or possibly more due to the Asian Cup) to avoid star players being missing.

At least now we have some sort of depth to cover this, I'd imagine it means Troisi, Pain and Archie will all definitely start, with Nabbout on the bench.

Ugh no Barbarouses for round 1. He is playing for NZ against an American club and Mexican club since they couldn't arrange any countries to play... Shame the first round is scheduled on a FIFA date. I don't think we necessarily need to have weeks off for FIFA dates as only a handful of players miss out each time this comes but surely next season we go back to starting a week earlier (or possibly more due to the Asian Cup) to avoid star players being missing.

At least now we have some sort of depth to cover this, I'd imagine it means Troisi, Pain and Archie will all definitely start, with Nabbout on the bench.

The A-league definitely need international breaks! Especially since it's really unfair for Wellington because virtually their whole teams in packed with NZ internationals!

While it would be good, I don't see a reason for an international break. Look at round 1, only 4 players (Milligan, Kosta, McKay and Misfud, probably a couple more am not 100% sure) will be missing. That doesn't include Wellington which imo they can rearrange matches if they are going to be missing so many players. It just doesn't seem justifiable to have one with only a handful or so of players missing

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back