2013 DRAFT discussion thread: Rookie Draft complete

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's still the only criticism of him that I’d have (finding the ball). He didn’t get that much of it during the champs.

Sheed on the other hand racks the ball up and kicks goals. He is more of a footballers footballer.

i must admit i avoid watch video clips . That said i have faith that Roos will put in place a coaching structure that will improve any kid we draft . Based on comments from the guys on here would be happy with either of them.

In one of the clips on deetv when Burgan was talking to T Viney and Taylor, they both pretty much said they don't put much reliance on the stats and times at the draft combine, they put a lot of weight on who has the right attitude and desire to improve, work hard etc etc
Which is what i am trying to get at , in my old fashioned way.:rolleyes:

I'd like to draft a mid at 9 and another one more. I'd also like either a small defender, large defender or small forward in the draft or as a rookie.

It's still the only criticism of him that I’d have (finding the ball). He didn’t get that much of it during the champs.

Sheed on the other hand racks the ball up and kicks goals. He is more of a footballers footballer.

He got 20 touches at least in both games, I know he's not racking up the huge numbers but junior footy has always favored the outside blokes racking up touches.

Ben Kearns is someone we should look at with pick 57 or rookie. Hasn't shown up in any phantoms and haven't heard his name around. He is a Medium forward that has the tank to run through the middle.

He'll be on our radar because he plays for Gippsland Power and has played 3 games in the VFL dev. league for Casey. He's 19, 186cm and aves approx 2 goals a game. Reminds me of Luke Bruest.

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2013-10-20/ben-kearns

Willie Rioli will do. Wonna would approve. :)
Willie looks like he gets paid in under 16 country footy currency.... pies n coke..

Could be the next Wona.. could also be the second bloke after Wona to train in a professional environment and actually get fatter as the season rolls on..

Good luck to Willie.. looks exciting but not the jet we are after!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

For how fat Wona got he still never did a Relton Roberts.

He was playing a VFL game for Couburg on a Saturday, got there early and was watching the VFL reserves, went over to the food van and got himself a hamburger with the lot and a hot jam doughnut to scoff into before his match...legend. :thumbsu::footy:

Think we'll definitely get a good midfielder at pick 9 - hopefully Freeman or Bontempelli, but I wouldn't be surprised if they're both gone by that stage.

If they're done we could look at Salem or Dunstan, both inside/outside players with really nice kicks and are good decision makers.

Dunstan especially makes decisions incredibly quickly.

Similar to the Tigers recent selections of Ellis, Vlaustin and Conca - that type of well rounded mid who drops a bit because they lack the x-factor or 'potential' of the skinnier high skilled players like Bontempelli or Kelly.

Think we'll definitely get a good midfielder at pick 9 - hopefully Freeman or Bontempelli, but I wouldn't be surprised if they're both gone by that stage.

If they're done we could look at Salem or Dunstan, both inside/outside players with really nice kicks and are good decision makers.

Similar to the Tigers recent selections of Ellis, Vlaustin and Conca - that type of well rounded mid who drops a bit because they lack the x-factor or 'potential' of the skinnier high skilled players like Bontempelli or Kelly.

Just had a read about Salem on the AFL website I like the sound of him they say Luke Hodge like has a good build to.
http://www.afl.com.au/news/2013-10-25/27-days-to-the-draft-meet-christian-salem

Came in here to post the same thing.

Let's take a "meat and potatoes" midfielder at 9. One that has little risk. Similar to Nathan Jones in 2005 (who has turned out well) and the Tiges' recent approach.

Whether that be Dunstan (my personal preference), Crouch, Sheed or Freeman, or someone I've forgotten, I don't know.

Dunstan has a great attitude, captain of SA and caught my attention when he made this quote during the year (paraphrasing) “I would hate for my team to walk off the ground at the end of a game knowing we could have tackled harder.” His highlights vid does him no harm to the casual fan's eye either.

If their all gone it will mean Aish or Scharenberg has slipped. Worst case we take Sheed.

For how fat Wona got he still never did a Relton Roberts.

He was playing a VFL game for Couburg on a Saturday, got there early and was watching the VFL reserves, went over to the food van and got himself a hamburger with the lot and a hot jam doughnut to scoff into before his match...legend. :thumbsu::footy:
In all seriousness though, this can be a legitimate thing to do before a game. Quite a few AFL player scoff down high fat/high energy foods before a game.

Anyone left for the PSD? I take it, no?

Dayle Garlett, maybe? If he slips through the draft. Or even Chris Cain. Wonna could be another.

Dare I say, Taylor Adams Liam Jurrah Nahas or Callinan?

In all seriousness though, this can be a legitimate thing to do before a game. Quite a few AFL player scoff down high fat/high energy foods before a game.

Dayle Garlett, maybe? If he slips through the draft. Or even Chris Cain. Wonna could be another.

Dare I say, Taylor Adams Liam Jurrah Nahas or Callinan?
If Garlett is there we may as well take him with our last ND selection.

He is a talent and lord knows we need them!

I like what I read about Sheed, except for the 'one paced' knocks - it does put me off a bit. Cant ignore the 'go home' factor these days either.

I like what I read about Sheed, except for the 'one paced' knocks - it does put me off a bit. Cant ignore the 'go home' factor these days either.

Overstated, in my opinion. Scully vs. Trengove.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back