Oppo Camp 2013 non-Geelong AFL match and general discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's funny.. look on foxsports predictions for next year.. geelong to drop and if they couldn't win it this year with a everything going right they have no hope 2014...

Since when did everything go right for us??
You know we had the best ruckmen in the league, a dominant key forward who was in no way hampered, a list filled with guys in the prime 25-28 age group and our captain won the Brownlow.
We threw away the flag this year.

seriously?
Unbelievable but that's kind of why we fly under the radar now and have been since 2011.

Hawkins has been a huge loss for us, he's been cut down in his prime and right after getting into the All-Australian squad. Many of us predicted a similar season this year but it was obvious he was in big trouble with that back of his.
Menzel, McIntosh, Simpson and then the other blokes who didn't start full pre season training because of injuries, Vardy who did his knee in the elimination final, Varcoe who returned from a broken foot only to do the ankle and miss a large chunk of the pre season and then there was Taylor Hunt, he was in arguably the best form of his career before breaking the collar bone.
Rivers also did his knee and spent half the year on the sidelines before coming back into the side clearly underdone.

Enright and the ridiculous suspension of Chapman were just icing on the cake.

Pick any side take out their main ruck, cripple their all Australian full forward and remove their 5 time All Australian back flanker and see how they go... I guarantee many wouldn't come within 5 points of a Prelim.

All year I thought Hawthorn would win it, but there we were again, depleted, jaded, UP AT 3/4 TIME!
12M ago, most would have had Hawks as 2013 flag favourites- not so clear cut at all for 2014.

I thought they would have the mindset of Geelong 2009- nothing was going to stop them; the bitter loss of 2012 a real spur. Doesn't always work, but...

I had much the same mind as you on this Vdubs. Some mates seemed somewhat perplexed when I told them that the Hawks were going to win the premiership. They suggested to me that the Cats would beat them in the finals, but I felt at the time that it was more wishful thinking than anything.

At the same time we lost by less than a goal. But the best sides tend to win those close encounters.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

And you're from Tasmania which is exactly the same.

I went and saw the Hobbit the other day, wasn't bad but a lot of it was filler. Peter Jackson making 3 films out of such a slim book is ridiculous.

In his defence the "3rd" movie is going to draw heavily from on The Silmarillion. That said he should have just made one movie of the Hobbit. I could have easily cut an hour from the first movie. Primary the first 40 minutes which moved at the pace of an Iceberg. Fingers crossed amongst all the DVD releases and re-releases there is a 3 hour cut of the Hobbit as one movie.

Wholeheartedly agree. The LOTR trilogy is nothing more than endless repetitive boring battle scenes strung together that elicit no sense of urgency from the viewer or any doubt that the heroes won't overcome the overwhelming odds the director tried to depict. I don't know how I sat through all those 3 films, couldn't just get up and ditch the relatives I suppose. lol

The first instalment of the The Hobbit was quite good though, a much more engaging tale than any of the LOTR films. Can't comment on the second one as I'm yet to see it.

The Hobbit was made with a thought to big time LotR fans (the books not movies) so goes into a lot more of the history and a lot of little snippets that fans understand.
In that sense it is done pretty well, in a purely movie watching sense it is far too long and filled with too much bullshit.
I think they compensated from the issues fans had over the original trilogy.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back