2013 Player X v Player Y

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hartlett is a must have, his price will only rise this yr

Don't think many doubt his price will rise, but he's not a must have.

If his price goes up 10ppg but you need to play your bench cover for his 6-8 missed games has he really done his job?

Also a good chance he could be sat on most weeks if he plays in defence again

Don't think many doubt his price will rise, but he's not a must have.

If his price goes up 10ppg but you need to play your bench cover for his 6-8 missed games has he really done his job?

Also a good chance he could be sat on most weeks if he plays in defence again

Won't play defence, will be a mid primarily, any player can get injured, he'll be in my team for sure.

Id be more than happy if i picked Hartlett and he played 18 games, would be an easy pass assuming he avgs what we expect, which not many question will be 90+ as a midfielder.

Hes certainly going to have to worry about the hard tags though.

Id be more than happy if i picked Hartlett and he played 18 games, would be an easy pass assuming he avgs what we expect, which not many question will be 90+ as a midfielder.

Hes certainly going to have to worry about the hard tags though.

Agreed but who'll bother tagging a port player.....

Agreed but who'll bother tagging a port player.....

haha just ask boak :p

whilst hartlett could be a very good pick, would rather go with duffield.
plays in a team that should be improving and has a pretty lucrative role down back at freo.
(also underpriced for what he did at the end of last season)

will have to monitor the impact of mcphees retirement and pearces recruitment have on his role though

Cotchin - Watson - Pendlebury - Delidio

Which of these 4 super premo's are people preferring?
I cant find a definitive way to split them - only leaning toward Cotchin because he has age/potential to improve more...

81 days to game on...HNY!

I cant find a definitive way to split them - only leaning toward Cotchin because he has age/potential to improve more...

I think Pendles is the pick of that bunch, but not by alot. Didnt have his best year last year, yet still avged well and is proven as a super premium over a longer period of time. Not quite sure what impact Goddard will have on Watson? Still think he get's the number 1 tag, and don't think he can improve on last season really. That being said cant see him averaging much under 110ppg either :) as he's a gun. I think Delidio is the more unique pick of the group and could easily end up averaging as much if not more than the others in this group.

So in summary, Pendlebury the best best, Delidio if u like going unique :)

regards,
Brayza

If there all fairly even, base your choice on bye balance for your side. As for the 4 mentioned, pendles and cotchin

Cotchin - Watson - Pendlebury - Deledio

Pendles has more upside than the others. Not taking the risk on Deledio personally when he's MID-only - may get tagged too much and isn't the best handler. Having said that, Cotchin could attract the tag but he has been resilient to them when he's had them in 2012. Watson is a good unique.

haha just ask boak :p
will have to monitor the impact of mcphees retirement and pearces recruitment have on his role though
Pearce is hardly what you call a hard nut.

Def: Grimes v Heppell
Mids: Beams v Boyd
Fwds: Zorko v Robinson

Currently have the bolded 3 players but have changed them over several times already.

Thoughts on which 3 you think will be better this year?

Currently have the bolded 3 players but have changed them over several times already.

Grimes, Beams, Robinson
But to be honest id take neither beams or boyd

Boyd/Beams/Zorko are ones i will use as upgrade targets once i get a feel for what level they're playing at
Second year blues, age andbthe question of if Beams has arrived or if he was playing out of his skin are questions i don't want to risk on initial spots

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I know about the second year blues all too well but am seriously considering Toby Greene as my starting M5 this year, even though he is just under premo mid price @ 495k. An 18 year old who averaged 28.4 possies & 96DT from 19 games in their 1st season is just insane as far as I'm concerned.

Breaking down his 2012 stats further he actually finished the season much stronger than he started, which goes against the grain from 1st year rookies usual output when they inevitably hit the wall and tail off towards the end of a season. His last 9 games from a DT perspective were simply phenomenal. 30+ possies in 8 out of his last 9 games (29 posssies from the other)

First 10 games - Average possessions: 23.9 - Average DT: 85.6
Last 9 games - Average possessions: 33.3 Average DT: 108.0

Could he become a DT super premo in just his second season? :confused:

Grimes - Beams - Robinson
Grimes showed his stat getting ability last year and the Dees should improve a touch and that might also improve his numbers, out pointed Heppell last year and will do it again.
Beams absolutely gunned it last year... and Boyd surely he can't get any better?...
Robinson would be an eye off in the pre-season cup as for his role in the blues new game plan..
I wouldn't be surprised to see Zorko cop more attention this year which adds risk.

I currently have Grimes and Beams and thinking to add Boyd after his bye R11.

I know about the second year blues all too well but am seriously considering Toby Greene as my starting M5 this year, even though he is just under premo mid price @ 495k. An 18 year old who averaged 28.4 possies & 96DT from 19 games in their 1st season is just insane as far as I'm concerned.

Breaking down his 2012 stats further he actually finished the season much stronger than he started, which goes against the grain from 1st year rookies usual output when they inevitably hit the wall and tail off towards the end of a season. His last 9 games from a DT perspective were simply phenomenal. 30+ possies in 8 out of his last 9 games (29 posssies from the other)

Upgrade target, see how he is coping in the first few rounds to mitigate the risk. His awkward bye (if you're into the bye thing) is a bit of a worry for me. Absolute gun DT or no DT though...

he certainly could, but as GWS get more competitive opposition teams wont take the extra bye round so easily, and he'll be the first giant that get's a serious tag, and if so how will it effect his output? risk is great.
but if they lose their first couple of games by big margins then i think he becomes interesting...

Upgrade target, see how he is coping in the first few rounds to mitigate the risk. His awkward bye (if you're into the bye thing) is a bit of a worry for me. Absolute gun DT or no DT though...

I'm not even going to worry about the byes this year. We have 30 trades and only 18 starters during the bye rounds so not much point puting too much thought into it as far as initial team selections go.

I probably wont have the balls to go with Greene from Rd 1 but his last 9 rounds he was collecting Ablett like numbers which is very tempting. Could be a real POD for those with the gonads to start with him. Have the feeling he will do a Rocky and take his 90 something 1st year average and turn it into 112+ in his second for some reason.

he certainly could, but as GWS get more competitive opposition teams wont take the extra bye round so easily, and he'll be the first giant that get's a serious tag, and if so how will it effect his output? risk is great.
but if they lose their first couple of games by big margins then i think he becomes interesting...

The fact that he got those kind of numbers in a team that won only 2 games and during some huge floggings makes it even more Ablett like. Also, he is not the damaging sort of mid that commands a tag if you know what I mean. If anything he will run with the oppositions best ball winner again as he did for much of 2012.

Tend to look for players with some value in these situations.
Pendles - Had a year to forget by his standards. just didnt seem to be his normal self and couldn't catch a break with that injury from the centre square bounce which was bizarre. Think he will definitely improve on last years numbers. Ball back also helps him i think as he was left to do a lot of the inside work (Beams was there to support to some extent). Definite starter
Watson - Will probably take the no 1 tag every week and will still post massive numbers, but i think he will be much of the same as last year and average probably around the same. More of an upgrade option for me.
Cotchin - Came of age last year and finally got over his horror injury run. no one can stop this guy. was on fire in the 2nd half of the season and was being tagged, but his work rate and ability to find space is ridiculous. Think he can push a 115+ average if he gets in another solid preseason and no little injury niggles. at this stage i have him locked in as i think he can definitely improve on the 110 average.
Deledio - Unlike cotchin, doesnt seem to shrug off the tag as well despite his ability. As good as he is, i think 2012 was pretty much the ceiling for Deledio in terms of DT numbers. expect pretty much the same average this year. Only reason i would start with him would be a POD.

With that extra midfield spot, you'd really want to have a dominant midfield and get as big of a head start over many others by loading up the middle where the points are there for the taking. While he can be seen as a viable option, I think the likes of Fyfe/Mundy/Barlow (and similar players at their price range) present much better value. Despite Greene's ability to rack it up, there has to be some serious questions marks over whether he can actually repeat this, let alone improve on his average. Even for 25k extra you could run with someone like Sam Mitchell and i'd feel safer having a superstar like Mitchell over the newborn Greene. But then again since when does playing it safe win you the car these days:(

With that extra midfield spot, you'd really want to have a dominant midfield and get as big of a head start over many others by loading up the middle where the points are there for the taking. While he can be seen as a viable option, I think the likes of Fyfe/Mundy/Barlow (and similar players at their price range) present much better value. Despite Greene's ability to rack it up, there has to be some serious questions marks over whether he can actually repeat this, let alone improve on his average. Even for 25k extra you could run with someone like Sam Mitchell and i'd feel safer having a superstar like Mitchell over the newborn Greene. But then again since when does playing it safe win you the car these days:(

I had Mundy in 2011 and Fyfe & Barlow in 2012 and that didn't work out too well for me.

Every year there is a player or 2 who's averages sky rocket 20+ points on their previous year. My bet is that Greene will be one of those players this year and that everyone will be trading him in within the first 8 rounds. But by then those who started with him will have the early points on the board. But who knows, one of his fellow second year team mates could be the one to go bang this year.

With 8 starting mids, surely most people will try and start at least one unique super premo scoring machine in their midfield..albeit a speculative one?

Gee a 20 point increase on Greene is pretty big expectations :p but then again if anyone could do it, it would be him.

Yeah i agree, i think with that extra spot people will be more inclined to take that speculative pick with them into the season. However for me personally, im looking to take somewhat of a safer speculative pick in establish midfielders rather than a 19 year old coming into his 2nd season with a team that will get romped most weeks. Wouldnt surprise me if he could maintain it, but id be surprised if he could average 105 and up. Will be watching Barlow and Mundy closely. we all know what Barlow can do if he hits his strides again and for some reason teams dont tend to tag him. Mundy was averaging 112 in the 2nd half of the season so theres reasons there to suggest he could almost average 115 with a full pre season.

Greene will be the new Swan in 3-4 years time, not even a discussion. 2nd year players though who had such a big first season rarely work out well for DT in year 2.

An increase of 20 ppg is much safer from a Ball / Embley type, then move them on to an underpriced premium

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back