2013 Pre-season Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

A "possibly cracked thumb" and he trained with strapping in the pre-season? I doubt that.
Not my words but those of one of his teammates who i sat next to at the Sportmans Dinner up there. Actually a good night with 2 players to a table and an on the couch interview session. Rich trained with it fully strapped as did Crisp. There was minimal ball work.

cracked thumb wouldn't cause too many issues. Can train and play with a cracked thumb, just might hurt a bit. Will be interesting to see who plays what NAB cup matches. I doubt there would be many players who play every match. Perhaps a couple who might be short a gallop, or maybe unsure of round 1 selection.

Interesting comments from Brown saying they haven't done much structural work this off-season, and it's been mainly instinctive stuff. Shows that Voss is adapting his methods. Players can certainly lose form if they start over-thinking. Could imagine someone like Banfield really benefiting from this approach. Might also explain why the midfield has struggled at stoppages, considering that tends to be a highly structured part of the game. Releasing the mental shackles might just help them zone in on getting first hands on the ball.

I think it's a good idea, especially with a young team. Kind of the see ball, get ball mentality. Lets them settle into senior footy and find their feet without getting over loaded with structures. From there the coaching staff can see how the players go, where they play best and they can start implementing some structures when needed. I'm sure sometimes some players actually fight their instincts on the field to stay to a structure or game plan, and i think that could be really unsettling for a young player.

I think it's a good idea, especially with a young team. Kind of the see ball, get ball mentality. Lets them settle into senior footy and find their feet without getting over loaded with structures. From there the coaching staff can see how the players go, where they play best and they can start implementing some structures when needed. I'm sure sometimes some players actually fight their instincts on the field to stay to a structure or game plan, and i think that could be really unsettling for a young player.

Watching them at training and in the first two games I thought the structures were really noticeable especially at stoppages. They may be simplifying things but we look much more organised over the ground and if you get to see Adcock play up close he is constantly yel ling directions and positioning for the winger in particular. But still it is very tough to pick a 22 which speaks to our depth. Looking forward to this season!

Yup, whilst we might not be focusing on structures, I'm sure we aren't playing without them. The older players, and especially our midfielders are old enough and experienced enough to push on with setting up correctly and getting improvement from playing as a unit. By not running the entire team with drilled structures I think it just makes it easier for the young guys to come in an play. Also, we don't have players settled in exact positions, so drilling positional rolls into players at this age would be a waste as next year it might change entirely with a position change.

It was a sight for sore eyes to see at least one player hitting the stoppage situation at pace most of the time. We looked quite proactive around the stoppage. Good to see because when you think about the standard of contested footy in last year's grand final, we need a lot of work to come close to that level.

Agree POBT. We certainly lack players who can win a contested ball, and then actually break free and do something with it. Most our mids can get first hands to it, but don't have that break away ability to turn contested ball into a aimed unforced disposal.

Agree POBT. We certainly lack players who can win a contested ball, and then actually break free and do something with it. Most our mids can get first hands to it, but don't have that break away ability to turn contested ball into a aimed unforced disposal.
Certainly last year although some of our close work on Sat was pretty slick I thought, compared with our opponents.

Definitely an area we are improving in. I thought we were good at spreading the ball from a contest, we nearly always had someone on the outside open to receive as well as then more options after that. Our ball movement in general was pretty good, marks just weren't sticking due to the conditions.

Definitely an area we are improving in. I thought we were good at spreading the ball from a contest, we nearly always had someone on the outside open to receive as well as then more options after that. Our ball movement in general was pretty good, marks just weren't sticking due to the conditions.
That quick handball in close through the congestion and centre square thing is something that I think Vossy is trying to establish as the Lions signature play. I quite like the look of it when it comes off.

That quick handball in close through the congestion and centre square thing is something that I think Vossy is trying to establish as the Lions signature play. I quite like the look of it when it comes off.

I reckon it was a focus of every training session I went to last year.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Lions look to Round 1 and won't be tempted by NAB prize money
27th February 2013
Andrew Hamilton

Brisbane have endured a five year run of major losses totaling close to $10m and have the undoubted potential to win the NAB Cup, but have made the bold decision not to put a pre-season payday ahead of the real prize.

Throughout the NAB Cup sides receive $15,000 for each victory with a grand final win worth an additional $142,000 and runner-up placing $44,000.

If Brisbane went through the tournament undefeated they would pocket $202,000.

Holmes said there was no denying the financial incentive but stressed Michael Voss' focus would be on building towards round one.

"Our coaching staff are committed to getting the season off to a good start,'' he said.

"Prize money would be a nice reward, but it is not the motivation.''

I'm impressed at his ability to find the negatives (the Lions' financial position) in every story. It really is a talent.

Interesting comments from Brown saying they haven't done much structural work this off-season, and it's been mainly instinctive stuff. Shows that Voss is adapting his methods. Players can certainly lose form if they start over-thinking. Could imagine someone like Banfield really benefiting from this approach. Might also explain why the midfield has struggled at stoppages, considering that tends to be a highly structured part of the game. Releasing the mental shackles might just help them zone in on getting first hands on the ball.

"Structural work" is arguably one of those more indefinite something a good team needs,
but probably takes care of itself if the right players are in the right positions.

And re: Banfield, I was a little excited by his efforts NAB cup,
his hands, skills and decision making were "yeah, thats what we need from you"
and oh so much improved on 2012.
If he can find his mojo, major bonus for the lions!

Brisbane have endured a five year run of major losses totaling close to $10m and have the undoubted potential to win the NAB Cup, but have made the bold decision not to put a pre-season payday ahead of the real prize.

Using the pre-season comp to prepare for the season is a bold decision?

Are we endangering our financial future every time a player attends training instead of busking on the streets?

Just wondering about the nab cup grand final say we finish on top the rule is the team who finish first gets to play the grand final at their home ground. Would we get to play at the Gabba or would we have to play some where else because of the cricket?

Just wondering about the nab cup grand final say we finish on top the rule is the team who finish first gets to play the grand final at their home ground. Would we get to play at the Gabba or would we have to play some where else because of the cricket?

This used to be the case, but now it is up to the full discretion of the AFL. They chose where it will be played.

Generally it's where they can get the most $$$, but I'm hoping that since we'll have already been on the road for two weeks, they could set us up at Metricon if we made it through that far.

Some photers (as Mr Ripper would say) of yesterday's training session at the Colmslie hockey field.

Brown with his game day face.

276548.jpg

Marco 'The Treadmill' (aka the running machine) Paparone

276576.jpg

Polec with blue boots

276495.jpg

Can't take it back now. Hammo fanboy!
No point backtracking Scoob you have been outed?
;)
Got me. Hammo is a literary genius, fighting the good fight, making Brisbane and sports a better place.
Thank God we have the CM keeping us informed of the real goings on and the big issues facing AFL today.
:p. Specially like the way he has backed Holmes into a corner, forcing him to make these startling confessions.:D:thumbsu:

Remove this Banner Ad

2013 Pre-season Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Back