Mega Thread 2013 Pre Season

Remove this Banner Ad

Just out of curiosity where is this 121212 coming from? The Mayan thing is the 22nd dec 2012.

Still time for the zombie apocalypse.

To be fair to silent alarm I was thinking along similar lines the other day about the positive reporting coming out of this thread and how it seemed overly optimistic...but then I realized that maybe I'm just used to years of crap pre seasons and that were building to a great 2013... Although knowing our luck the world will get destroyed just when were on the verge of a premiership :rolleyes:

Btu rtb's comment about being one month ahead on time trials and skin folds back up everything you guys are reporting . There have been some negatives too when required so I'd say the reporting has been accurate with optimism.

Keep up the great work fellas and I wish I could join you all. :thumbsu: :thumbsu: :thumbsu:

Fyfe is looking great, he should get even better next year. Still concerned about his shoulder being strapped, though. I hope it doesn't taint his season again.

Riiiight. Another few fallacies committed here.

I never said anything about what position I'd like him to play.

How can he deal with hard tags? How many times did commentators mention his poor stats last year? He was barely running taggers off their feet. He struggled a fair few times this season with a tag, only to do okay in the last quarter (through the exhaustion of the tagger, probably).

As I said, people just love pumping out all positives or all negatives on here.

I thank the blokes who go down to training and take their time to report on it. But seriously, I think I've heard about maybe a dozen negatives all off-season. It's all about how big our players are, how great their kicks are, how neat their handballs, how hard they're running... a little balance would be okay.

It's ten sentences about all his positives, a single sentence on one of his many negatives. I'd like to think we can be a little subjective, unlike Eagles fans, and note some negatives.

Its hard to track the negatives because there isn't an opposition to expose them, and as far as I know no one has any access to performance data, so they dont know who is doing better or worse on their testing.

The word you were looking for is objective.

How can people report negatives on a someone who you criticise for being too easily tagged out, when it is only the off season?

Your criticisms could only be valid after a loss dude. Relax, let the good news flow. And pray like f**k for no injuries.

Everybody pray.

Just a friendly tip to all and sundry; Silent Alarm is on record as stating his age as twenty years .
He has a lot of living and learning ahead of him.
I believe he should be encouraged and guided by other veteran supporters.
I love the thought of very passionate 20 year old Fremantle Fans.
.... and Silent alarm, wisdom and maturity comes with time; it can't be rushed, but knowledge is gained from others.
So stick with us and enjoy our ride.

How can he deal with hard tags? How many times did commentators mention his poor stats last year? He was barely running taggers off their feet. He struggled a fair few times this season with a tag, only to do okay in the last quarter (through the exhaustion of the tagger, probably).

I take it you didnt proof read this. In one sentance you say that he barely runs taggers off their feet, yet in the very next sentance you say that he does well in the 4th quarter due to the exhaustion of the tagger.

Question: How did the tagger get exhausted?

Answer: He ran them off their feet

Hill was carrying shin splints for most of last year. He was suffering a bad knock back against Gold Coast in rnd 5 and spent half his time at FF because his legs were that screwed.

A good clean preseason without injuries should see him get this damaging 15-20 disposals more consistantley, no matter which tagger is on him.

I take it you didnt proof read this. In one sentance you say that he barely runs taggers off their feet, yet in the very next sentance you say that he does well in the 4th quarter due to the exhaustion of the tagger.

Question: How did the tagger get exhausted?

Answer: He ran them off their feet

He isnt completely wrong, his output when tagged vs not tagged is probably 20 possession vs 30 possessions, but outside players are more often than not affected by the tag.

At port he was the number one tagged players, I think at Freo next year he will be in the top 4 with Hill, Mundy, Fyfe.

I would love to see Mundy and Hill not tagged in the first half, and then Hill getting tagged in the second half after he gets 15 kicks in the first half and Pearce becoming loose and picking up 20 second half possessions.

Hopefully with a fit sandilands + Stone, Kirk we can introduce some blocks to get our classy mid's free on the out side.

Is he susceptible to the tag, absolutely, as is Hill.Last year he averaged 20 possession and I would expect that to improve at Freo to 25.

The big bonus of having Pearce in our side is the fowards will look better due to his skills, especially Pav and Mayne.

Hill, Mundy, Fyfe won't get tagged as much, Hill may get the second best tagger for each team which will allow him to get an extra 5 possession.

Lets say Crowls, clint jones or any of the other great taggers in the league were to tag someone and that player was to only get 15 possessions for the game but impacted on that game with a few inside 50s which set up a few goals, a goal himself and some great ball movement through the guts would it be safe to say that that player wasn't successfully shut down, maybe got of the leash a bit? Just saying.
Anyway how bout them dockers hey, Hows their pre season coming along?

He isnt completely wrong, his output when tagged vs not tagged is probably 20 possession vs 30 possessions, but outside players are more often than not affected by the tag.

At port he was the number one tagged players, I think at Freo next year he will be in the top 4 with Hill, Mundy, Fyfe.

I would love to see Mundy and Hill not tagged in the first half, and then Hill getting tagged in the second half after he gets 15 kicks in the first half and Pearce becoming loose and picking up 20 second half possessions.

Hopefully with a fit sandilands + Stone, Kirk we can introduce some blocks to get our classy mid's free on the out side.

Is he susceptible to the tag, absolutely, as is Hill.Last year he averaged 20 possession and I would expect that to improve at Freo to 25.

The big bonus of having Pearce in our side is the fowards will look better due to his skills, especially Pav and Mayne.

Hill, Mundy, Fyfe won't get tagged as much, Hill may get the second best tagger for each team which will allow him to get an extra 5 possession.

So that means considering Stephen and Danyle are similar players in terms of impact, if they share the tag in any particular game ie; half a game each, they are likely to get 40-50 quality posessions between them.
Sounds like a good plan.

Just out of curiosity where is this 121212 coming from? The Mayan thing is the 22nd dec 2012.

Still time for the zombie apocalypse.

To be fair to silent alarm I was thinking along similar lines the other day about the positive reporting coming out of this thread and how it seemed overly optimistic...but then I realized that maybe I'm just used to years of crap pre seasons and that were building to a great 2013... Although knowing our luck the world will get destroyed just when were on the verge of a premiership :rolleyes:

Btu rtb's comment about being one month ahead on time trials and skin folds back up everything you guys are reporting . There have been some negatives too when required so I'd say the reporting has been accurate with optimism.

Keep up the great work fellas and I wish I could join you all. :thumbsu: :thumbsu: :thumbsu:

Yeah people getting the End of Days confused with International Soundcheck Day.

I also agree that realism is preferable to over the top optimism, but Hill has plenty of heart.

Nah, he is completely wrong. Wrong like Garry Glitter. For a start he was talking about Stephen Hill, not Danyle Pearce.
Everything else in your post I agree with.

Danyle Pearce, in his interview, said his first goal was to get in to the team. I think he is right, he will have to battle to get there. ( but will stay there when he gets in). From the training reports, I got the impression that he is a bit behind the other fast guys on the track. Is this true? If true, does this indicate that the Freo boys are way ahead with their fitness than many other clubs, and certainly ahead of anything they have managed before?

Hill was carrying shin splints for most of last year. He was suffering a bad knock back against Gold Coast in rnd 5 and spent half his time at FF because his legs were that screwed.

A good clean preseason without injuries should see him get this damaging 15-20 disposals more consistantley, no matter which tagger is on him.

I've had shin splints all this year, and have torn a few things in my lower leg as a result of it. it's nasty and painful, so if hillys game suffered a bit from that, I completely understand. He's an absolute gun though so hopefully a clean pre season will see him flourish

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Fear not fellas... Hilly is probably staying off the track so he can come back looking more like this guy...

;)

haney6.jpg

If true, does this indicate that the Freo boys are way ahead with their fitness than many other clubs, and certainly ahead of anything they have managed before?

I remember hearing that Broughton won the 3km time trial at the Gold Coast Suns. Admittedly against mostly kids, but it is a good sign nevertheless.

My take on what Silent Alarm is saying is that Hill needs to be more effective more often.

We'd all love to see that. Been in the 'system' a while now (as the saying goes).

Fyfe is looking great, he should get even better next year. Still concerned about his shoulder being strapped, though. I hope it doesn't taint his season again.

I don't really have a problem with his shoulder being heavily strapped at training. It gives his more time to get used to the strapping and its restrictions because he is always going to have it in a game.

I have to back up one of the earlier comments that Silent Alarm said.He said that Stephen Hill was soft and I think he is on occasions.He is not hard like Matt De Boer and will never be but he has many great attributes.A team is a mix of players with varying degrees of skill and mental toughness. I have to disagree with him when he said De Boer is a really bad kick.He improved out of sight last year with his kicking because of his incredible work ethic.He has it all over Palmer.

I have to back up one of the earlier comments that Silent Alarm said.He said that Stephen Hill was soft and I think he is on occasions.He is not hard like Matt De Boer and will never be but he has many great attributes.A team is a mix of players with varying degrees of skill and mental toughness. I have to disagree with him when he said De Boer is a really bad kick.He improved out of sight last year with his kicking because of his incredible work ethic.He has it all over Palmer.

Admire your fortitude but I'm not sure it's wise to be with SA in the trenches on this one;)

When people call Hill soft, all i can do is think back to his rookie season and i remember him being absolutely everywhere when games were on the line.
In the packs to spoil down back,then in midfield to provide options and run, then also spotted him in forwardline trying to get involved.
Seemed to be desperate to do everything possible to help get us over the line.
That showed he had plenty of heart to me.
Couldn't believe the courage and effort such a lightly built player was putting in.

I have to admit he hasnt done that as much lately but i also believe he has been carrying injuries ever since then and has never been 100% fit.

We cant have a team full of tough nuts it isnt the right mix for a successful team.
Just like we cant have a team full of mids/flankers.
We need a good mix of what players bring to the game.
Thats why we could let lower go, could guarantee he would get 25 or so disposals a game but we have Barlow,Deboer,Clancee even Mundy to do the same job he would of done.
Too many of that type of player effects run and carry plus easy for teams to run off them.

Dude, it was an opinion on a player. Everyone has them, and that diversity makes the world a less boring place.

Remove this Banner Ad

Mega Thread 2013 Pre Season

Remove this Banner Ad

Back