2013 Triple J Hottest 100‏

Remove this Banner Ad

I don't think I'll do a list this year but I will say that Flume's remix of Disclosure's You and Me is definitely going to be fairly high up in the list.

Good to see you're back again this year :).

Royals is my favourite song of the year which is why I have it at number 2. I couldn't tell if it was amazing enough to be #1 or if I was just being bias due to my taste.

Riptide could also take #1 from Lorde based on the fact that the #1 song has only had a female vocalist #4 times in the history of the hottest 100 (if I remember correctly).

Ive noticed that your list, like mine, is fairly thin on aussie hip hop this year which I find interesting.

yeah I don't see many Aus-hop tracks doing too well this year. Pez, Bliss and Illy have the chance for one entry each but don't see a massive turn out especially when Hilltop, 360, Drapht and Seth all didn't release any new material this year (apart from that massive Bliss n Eso collab Resevoir Dogs)

Lorde is the in thing right now, the flavour of the month so to say, so she's gonna be right up there. Daft Punk simply coz they're a massive name, huge fanbase and Get Lucky is catchy as ****. Riptide is a bit of a sleeper compared to those two but still is a huge chance as previous polls have shown the majority of voters love a folky, acoustic song high up the list. Entertainment and Retrogade have been big all year but probably the last few months lost a bit of steam that'd see them challenge.

the avalanches - stalking to a stranger
the growl - douse the lamps
arctic monkeys - i wanna be yours
mikhael paskalev - i spy
kurt vile - feel my pain
gesaffelstein - hate or glory
ghost loft - seconds
goldroom - embrace
daft punk - touch
scott and charlene's wedding - lesbian wife

Just a word on Yeezus, it's not for everyone (like every album?), but it's hard to imagine not being moved by the raw intensity and anger of "New Slaves", which then continues with the powerful imagery of "Blood on the Leaves"; and the remorse and sorrow of "Hold My Liquor".

Lots of his lyrics are pretty average, because first and foremost he is a producer. His fingerprints are all over The Blueprint (Jay-Z, 2001), then for heaps of other Roc-A-Fella artists, and later for plenty of other artists: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kanye_West_production_discography

Similar to Gotye, he is a student of music history, and samples very widely. On POWER for example, he sampled "It's Your Thing", "Afromerica" and "21st Century Schizoid Man", all in the one song. Not saying that other artists don't also sample widely, but that much of the quality of what Kanye does is in the production, rather than the rapping itself. What he does rap about is often the emotions he is dealing with, and representing the anger and injustice he finds within his heritage (Blood on the Leaves, New Slaves, Roses, POWER etc.). But a poet he is not.

Arcade Fire - Reflektor
Arcade Fire - Awful Sound (Oh Eurydice)
CHVRCHES - Recover
Jai Paul - Track 2
Kanye West - Blood on the Leaves
Lily Allen - Hard Out Here
London Grammar - Stay Awake
Lorde - A World Alone
The Wombats - Your Body is a Weapon
Vampire Weekend - Step

Unlucky 10:
Boy&Bear: Three Headed Woman;
Foals: Bad Habit;
Autre Ne Veut: Counting;
Lorde: Ribs;
Janelle Monae: Q.U.E.E.N.;
Pusha T: Hold On
James Blake - Overgrown
The National - I Need My Girl
Phosphorescent - Song for Zula
John Grant - GMF

I think the only ever Kanye song I've liked is fellows In Paris. As for the rest I just don't really get it.
Yeezus is especially bad, I mean just making up words with the same ending so they rhyme and repeating them until he's out of breath, just screams of no talent. Making up words to fit the rhyme is one of the worst things in rap and should only be done sparingly if neccesary at all.
And it really gets on my nerves when people say they dont like rap and list off people like Kanye as examples of rap. There are much better rappers
Yeezus is his lyrically weakest album for sure. But dismissing him because of that is pretty ignorant. And sure, there are a tonne of other rappers with better rhyme and better flow, but that's not solely what makes a good artist.

Interesting that fellows in Paris is your favourite, which isn't all too much dissimilar to his other new stuff and the other WTT songs.

I'd suggest listening to an earlier album all the way through (Late Registration is my favourite) and you might get an idea of why Kanye is so revered.

You're about a year behind. Disclosure - Latch was #21 in 2012, Totally Enormous Extinct Dinosaurs - Household Goods was #78 in 2012. The only TEED release for 2013 was Lion, the Lion, which I can't see going anywhere near the hottest 100.

Good to see you here again thewitness, are you going to do your usual method of compiling votes again this year?

I think Triple J should organise the Hottest 100 voting in a way that you enter into a search bar the names of the artist and song, and through their playlist for the year (can somehow link up to the J-Play website, which lists and indexes every single song played on Triple J), it can auto-complete and find the song you're referring to. This way, people can vote for whatever they like, and it would have a chance of getting in. I feel that Triple J, by providing a short-list to select from themselves, are artificially influencing the vote, and limiting it to songs they think are "worthy", without considering or acknowledging that there's plenty of good music that doesn't get played on their station as well.

My short list probably comprised another 15 different artists but ultimately rewarded my favourite albums from the year:

Arcade Fire - Here Comes The Night Time
Arcade Fire - Reflektor
Arctic Monkeys - Do I Wanna Know?
Arctic Monkeys - Why'd You Only Call Me When You're High?
Chvrches - Gun
Chvrches - Lies
Chvrches - Recover
Chvrches - We Sink
Daft Punk - Get Lucky
Vampire Weekend - Diane Young

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Good to see you here again thewitness, are you going to do your usual method of compiling votes again this year?

I'm a lot busier this year but will give it a try if i find some time. I guess Triple J learned from their mistake last year and won't make it as easy as it was last time round.

Does anyone know why Shot At The Night by The Killers wasn't included in the short list? I definitely heard it on Triple J a couple of times and it was in the hit list for a while. I thought it was released this year but maybe not?

I'm a lot busier this year but will give it a try if i find some time. I guess Triple J learned from their mistake last year and won't make it as easy as it was last time round.

Yeah I've tried to have a bit of a search but there aren't as many people sharing their votes this time. I've been mainly focusing on get lucky vs royals and it appears pretty close between them at the moment.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

yeah I don't see many Aus-hop tracks doing too well this year. Pez, Bliss and Illy have the chance for one entry each but don't see a massive turn out especially when Hilltop, 360, Drapht and Seth all didn't release any new material this year (apart from that massive Bliss n Eso collab Resevoir Dogs)

Lorde is the in thing right now, the flavour of the month so to say, so she's gonna be right up there. Daft Punk simply coz they're a massive name, huge fanbase and Get Lucky is catchy as ****. Riptide is a bit of a sleeper compared to those two but still is a huge chance as previous polls have shown the majority of voters love a folky, acoustic song high up the list. Entertainment and Retrogade have been big all year but probably the last few months lost a bit of steam that'd see them challenge.

I would have thought "Trying to be Cool" would be higher up than "Entertainment". The former was absolutely played to death on the J's, particularly by The Doctor. It was in my #11-20 picks that just missed out

I would have thought "Trying to be Cool" would be higher up than "Entertainment". The former was absolutely played to death on the J's, particularly by The Doctor. It was in my #11-20 picks that just missed out

I dunno Entertainment was one of the most played tracks of the year I think, especially Feb-August so I feel it'll be up there, but good call on Trying to be Cool, totally forgot to include that in the list!

Betting market from Sportingbet:
Lorde – Royals 1.33
Daft Punk – Get Lucky 3.50
Vance Joy – Riptide 10.00
Arctic Monkeys – Do I Wanna Know 15.00
The Preatures – Is This How You Feel? 15.00
Matt Corby – Resolution 19.00
Lorde – Team 21.00
Robin Thicke – Blurred Lines 26.00
Lana Del Rey – Summertime Sadness 26.00
Birds Of Tokyo – Lanterns 26.00

http://themusic.com.au/news/all/201...ing-opens-with-lorde-an-unbackable-favourite/

Lorde – Royals 1.33
Lorde – Team 21.00

http://themusic.com.au/news/all/201...ing-opens-with-lorde-an-unbackable-favourite/

Blurred Lines would be no chance. Wasn't played on Triple J, and voters are aware of the weird, offensive, and creepy lyrics.

Lorde – Royals 1.33
Lorde – Team 21.00

Do they not realise Summertime Sadness was #86 last year? Haha. Or perhaps people are voting for the remix...

I didn't think the Preatures would be so high up either. But each to their own I guess. I've only just learnt that Mac DeMarco's "Freaking Out the Neighbourhood" is eligible – it really shouldn't be, seeing as 2 came out last year, but I'll take it.

Sorry Julian, the Strokes get bumped from my likely 10. I think this is definitely what I'm gonna go with.

Arcade Fire — Reflektor
Arctic Monkeys — Do I Wanna Know?
Childish Gambino — 3005
Foals — My Number
James Blake — Retrograde
Kanye West — Bound 2
Lorde — 400 Lux
Mac DeMarco – Freaking Out the Neighbourhood
Vampire Weekend — Hannah Hunt
World’s End Press — Drag Me Home

Do they not realise Summertime Sadness was #86 last year? Haha. Or perhaps people are voting for the remix...

I didn't think the Preatures would be so high up either. But each to their own I guess. I've only just learnt that Mac DeMarco's "Freaking Out the Neighbourhood" is eligible – it really shouldn't be, seeing as 2 came out last year, but I'll take it.

Sorry Julian, the Strokes get bumped from my likely 10. I think this is definitely what I'm gonna go with.

Arcade Fire — Reflektor
Arctic Monkeys — Do I Wanna Know?
Childish Gambino — 3005
Foals — My Number
James Blake — Retrograde
Kanye West — Bound 2
Lorde — 400 Lux
Mac DeMarco – Freaking Out the Neighbourhood
Vampire Weekend — Hannah Hunt
World’s End Press — Drag Me Home

Good list!

And I think that Japandroids was top 10 in the betting and didn't make top 100 at all. So a certain pinch of salt is required haha.

Remove this Banner Ad

2013 Triple J Hottest 100‏

Remove this Banner Ad

Back