Strategy 2013 v 2014 Draftees, who would you take

Remove this Banner Ad

Maybe i misread, but what was the 'Carton handshake deal with GWS' all about?

Certain elements of the Carlton fanbase believe they had an agreement with Boyd's family he'd seek a trade to Carlton as soon as he could. Wasn't a handshake agreement with GWS.

It all stems from Carlton fans believeing Tom Boyd is a diehard blues supporter. To the point where he even asked Mick Malthouse to get him to Carlton at one point.

Certain elements of the Carlton fanbase believe they had an agreement with Boyd's family he'd seek a trade to Carlton as soon as he could. Wasn't a handshake agreement with GWS.

It all stems from Carlton fans believeing Tom Boyd is a diehard blues supporter. To the point where he even asked Mick Malthouse to get him to Carlton at one point.
Nick Stevens wanted to play for Collingwood.

Did Stevens get to his preferred club?

I guess Griffen did the dirty on you to change the situation...

Yet you'll still pump up Caleb "bargain" Daniel and troll even though you would have thrown pick 46 in along with Griffen and your first pick to get Boyd.

No he did not and that was because Port where being Pricks over the Trade. Doubt it would happen in Today’s AFL.

Though Stevens never lived up to the Hype he had at the Trade Time at Carlton

Yet you'll still pump up Caleb "bargain" Daniel and troll even though you would have thrown pick 46 in along with Griffen and your first pick to get Boyd.

What the **** does Caleb Daniel have to do with the Boyd deal? why would you bring him up?

For the record though I'm willing to wager most AFL teams would rather CD on their list than the player we got him for. Enjoy Liam Jones mate - great and funny bloke, shit AFL footballer.

No he did not and that was because Port where being Pricks over the Trade. Doubt it would happen in Today’s AFL.

Though Stevens never lived up to the Hype he had at the Trade Time at Carlton

Nobody lives up to the hype at Carlton. Chris Judd, Dale Thomas, Liam Jones. All hyped far beyond what they will achieve. Add Mick Malthouse to the list.

I guess Griffen did the dirty on you to change the situation...

Haha, Stevens went into a draft and was selected by a club he didn't want to play for. Boyd requested a trade to the Bulldogs. And before you mention the money, he's now on a list with several of his best mates.

Of course, the Bulldogs are worthy of derision based on Boyd's tenuous link to Carlton and the embarrassing BigFooty rumours that sprung forth.

Oh, and Caleb's a weapon. Cheers.

Just for giggles:

1 - Boyd v McCartin > Boyd - Consensus no 1 unlike McCartin, bigger and was far more dominant as a junior
2 - Kelly v Petracca > Kelly - Going against the grain a little, Kelly is a running machine and super-professional
3 - Billings v Brayshaw > Billings - Billings just looks to have that little bit of undefined special quality
4 - Bontempelli v Pickett > Bontempelli - Bonti is a freak. 196cm now!
5 - Kolodashnij v De Goey > Kolodashnij already looks settled into senior AFL football
6 - Sharenberg v Marchbank > Sharenberg if he can beat injury, freak
7 - Aish v Ahern > Aish is a gun, slid
8 - McDonald v Wright > McDonald in a canter. Big fan of this kid
9 - Salem v Moore > Moore, lineball
10 - Freeman v Cockatoo > Cockatoo - Freeman had far more exposed form as a junior and looks set for a big one
Is it confirmed Bonts is actually 196cm now? Jesus christ he is going to be a machine. Can he play in the midfield at that height? Still not sure whether we should leave him in there or develop him as a CHF.

Also did Gillo honestly suggest we should have not gotten Boyd, but instead taken a second round pick for Griffen? Hahaha gold

Is it confirmed Bonts is actually 196cm now? Jesus christ he is going to be a machine. Can he play in the midfield at that height? Still not sure whether we should leave him in there or develop him as a CHF.

Also did Gillo honestly suggest we should have not gotten Boyd, but instead taken a second round pick for Griffen? Hahaha gold
Bonti is a freak - I'm still not sure he has the pace off the mark to be a top line CHF.
For mine the choice is decent CHF or gun utility - I'll take gun utility thanks.

We picked the eyes out of the top ten the year before (apologies to Wines who is a beast) with Macrae and Stringer so plenty of > 190cm talent available. That sort of player development must have influenced Collingwood's decision to go after De Goey.

Bonti is a freak - I'm still not sure he has the pace off the mark to be a top line CHF.
For mine the choice is decent CHF or gun utility - I'll take gun utility thanks.

We picked the eyes out of the top ten the year before (apologies to Wines who is a beast) with Macrae and Stringer so plenty of > 190cm talent available. That sort of player development must have influenced Collingwood's decision to go after De Goey.
Maybe not but he has the elite tank to work players over Riewoldt style, if its true he's 196cm he will end up the perfect size for CHF. He finds the goals with ease, is a brilliant contested mark (will only get better as he puts on more size as well) fantastic skills delivering inside 50 so he pretty much has it all besides maybe the pace off the mark but you can overcome that. I can honestly see him being an elite CHF if thats where we want him, and the opportunity to have a genuinely elite KPF trio of Bonts, Boyd and Stringer is hugely exciting. In saying that though he is just so good in the guts (lol at the call that he doesn't have an inside game, thats where he excels) so for now he probably stays there.

In saying that though he is just so good in the guts (lol at the call that he doesn't have an inside game, thats where he excels) so for now he probably stays there.
That is part of the problem - he is so good in congestion that you just want him in there. Even when tackled he gets his arms free and has time to pick a target.

1 Boyd-mcartin-Boyd just
2 Kelly-Petrecca-petrecca easy
3 Billings-Brayshaw-Brayshaw just
4 Bontempeli-picket-bontempeli
5 Kj-Degoey-Kj easy
6 Sharenburg-Marchbank-sharenbur easy
7 Aish-Ahern-Aish easy
8 Mcdonald-wright-Mcdonald just
9 Salem-Moore-Moore easy one to pick
Freman-cockatoo-cockatoo easy

Maybe not but he has the elite tank to work players over Riewoldt style...has it all besides maybe the pace off the mark but you can overcome that.

Just on this: Roo has some serious speed off the mark to go with his stupidly good tank. He ran a 2.92 20m sprint at the combine in his draft year.

As for Bonts, it'll be super interesting to see how you guys play him. What's he like at reading the play behind the ball? If he's any good at it you could do something similar to the role Westhoff plays at Port, where he plays mostly forward but collects lots of ball in the middle and goes into defense to plug holes if needed.

That is part of the problem - he is so good in congestion that you just want him in there. Even when tackled he gets his arms free and has time to pick a target.

Model him on Pavlich who could and still can play anywhere. Probably with a higher portion in the middle with Bonts.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

1 - Boyd v McCartin > Boyd
2 - Kelly v Petracca > Pe'truck'a
3 - Billings v Brayshaw > Brayshaw
4 - Bontempelli v Pickett > Bontempelli
5 - Kolodjashnij v De Goey > Kade Kolodjashnij
6 - Sharenberg v Marchbank > Scharneberg (eventually)
7 - Aish v Ahern > Aish
8 - McDonald v Wright > McDonald
9 - Salem v Moore > Moore
10 - Freeman v Cockatoo > Freeman
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
11 - Sheed v Duggan > Duggan
12 - Lennon v Ellis > Lennon
13 - Cripps v Weller > Cripps
14 - McCarthy v Lever > McCarthy
15 - Jones v Garlett > Garlett
16 - Lang v Durdin > Lang
17 - Apeness v Langford > Apeness
18 - Dunstan v Heeney > Heeney
19 - Acres v Boekhorst > Acres
20 - Leslie v Laverde > Laverde
21 - Impey v Goddard > Goddard
22- Gardiner v Mckenzie > Mckenzie
23- Crouch v McKenna > Crouch
24- Hartung v Steele > Hartung
25- McStay v Nielson > Nielson
26- Merrett v McLean >Merett
27- Lemmens v Webbs > Lemmens
28- Taylor v Vojo-Rainbow > Taylor
29- Lobb v Miller > Miller
30- Dumont v Maynard > Dumont
31- Karpany v Howe > Karpany
32- Hewett v Lamb > Lamb
33- Cutler v Menadue > Cutler
34- Roberton v Blakely > Roberton
35- Nankervis v Wigg > Nankervis
36- Jansen v Vickers-Willis > Jensen
37- Pearce v Rose > Pearce
38- D Garlett v Hiscox > Hiscox
39- Giles v Hamilton > Giles
40- Kennedy-Harris v Neal Bullen > Kennedy- Harris

I'm actually pretty surprised at how many people would take Petracca and Brayshaw ahead of Kelly and Billings, no disrespect to the Melbourne boys but I think Kelly and Billings have a lot more talent to tap into personally and they'll only get better once their bodies develop.

I'm actually pretty surprised at how many people would take Petracca and Brayshaw ahead of Kelly and Billings, no disrespect to the Melbourne boys but I think Kelly and Billings have a lot more talent to tap into personally and they'll only get better once their bodies develop.

After Boyd, Bontempelli and KK I'd take Kelly next out of both drafts. The bloke is the definition of class, going to be a beauty.

Shiny new toy philosophy.

Nobody lives up to the hype at Carlton. Chris Judd, Dale Thomas, Liam Jones. All hyped far beyond what they will achieve. Add Mick Malthouse to the list.

Judd:
8th in the Brownlow in 2008
2nd in the Brownlow in 2009
1st in the Brownlow in 2010
5th in the Brownlow in 2011 ................and AA in all those years.
You must be talking about the years he was injured........of course.

Thomas:
Restricted for his ankle last year. You know that right?

Jones:
Has kicked a ball in anger yet. What measure are you using?

Not sure why you keep finding a need to lie.

I guess it comes down to what you think wins football games, great physicality with good skill vs great skill.

Why not:
1 - Boyd v McCartin > Boyd
2 - Kelly v Petracca > Kelly
3 - Billings v Brayshaw > Billings
4 - Bontempelli v Pickett > Pickett
5 - Kolodashnij v De Goey > Kolodashnij
6 - Scharenberg v Marchbank > Scharenberg
7 - Aish v Ahern > Aish
8 - McDonald v Wright > McDonald
9 - Salem v Moore > Moore
10 - Freeman v Cockatoo > Cockatoo
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
11 - Sheed v Duggan > Duggan
12 - Lennon v Ellis > Lennon
13 - Cripps v Weller > Weller
14 - McCarthy v Lever > Lever
15 - Jones v Garlett > Garlett
16 - Lang v Durdin > Durdin
17 - Apeness v Langford >Langford
18 - Dunstan v Heeney > Heeney
19 - Acres v Boekhorst > Acres
20 - Leslie v Laverde > Laverde

Model him on Pavlich who could and still can play anywhere. Probably with a higher portion in the middle with Bonts.
Swapping mid/forward with Stringer could work - Stringer spends more time forward, Bonti more time in the middle.
Will help with interchange cap rotations to rest both on the ground as much as possible.

Swapping mid/forward with Stringer could work - Stringer spends more time forward, Bonti more time in the middle.
Will help with interchange cap rotations to rest both on the ground as much as possible.

We did this last year v Essendon and it worked a treat....

WC & Richmond fans not as interested in this analysis given they have 11 & 12 each both years.

Duggan comfortably looks a grade more talented than Sheed though at this early stage.

WC & Richmond fans not as interested in this analysis given they have 11 & 12 each both years.

Duggan comfortably looks a grade more talented than Sheed though at this early stage.
It's odd. I remember sheed being talked up a hell of a lot around draft time and pre season last year

It's odd. I remember sheed being talked up a hell of a lot around draft time and pre season last year

The way I remember it he was one of the least talked about of the top 15. There was talk aswell that if he wasn't picked at 11 by West Coast he could have slid into the second round. His Larke Medal won him some hype but after that broken collarbone he slipped under the radar.

Inside mids rarely come good in the first year, but Sheed's was pretty underwhelming even considering. Looked slow and a bit of a squib. Hopefully that's just some lasting effect of his collarbone which will wear off. He seems to be in much better condition than this time twelve months ago so hopefully that leads to some improvement. I don't think he is that comparable to Priddis as alot of people suggest but the fact that he is slow and an average kick doesn't bode well. :p

Remove this Banner Ad

Strategy 2013 v 2014 Draftees, who would you take

Remove this Banner Ad

Back