2014 captain & vice Captains

Remove this Banner Ad

Richy my choice for captain (no surprises there;)) ..I like Daniels quiet strength of character, his actions on and off the field are that of a leader and isn't out there seeking attention....just goes about his business in a quiet but steely fashion.

..and he is easily recognisable in that "certain something" way....to me he IS the face of the new breed Lions.

Adcock should remain soul captain with Rich and Rocky VCs.

Rich and Rock are both inspirational leaders but need to up their games another level and would struggle to do so as captains
Especially Rich- he needs to produce A grade football and I worry he couldn't if he became soul captain

Rich and Rock are both inspirational leaders but need to up their games another level and would struggle to do so as captains
Especially Rich- he needs to produce A grade football and I worry he couldn't if he became soul captain
wall-mural-captain-of-my-soul-journey.jpg

when is the club likely to announce the new leadership team .... will browny announce he's stepping down first, or will both occur at the same time?

Or it could work out like boak and port ;)

Melbourne offered pick 2 for Rocky - would have been pick 1 if they had it. Do not believe that the footy world does not recognise the value of TommyRock.

Every challenge he has had, he has risen above it & not just beaten it - but excelled. This is the bloke that missed being drafted twjce, so put himself through physical hell offseason in a boxing gym to make the grade when we gave him the chance. Look at his thigh muscles (like a Tour de France winner). He has made himself an elite gut runner, because that is what is needed to succeed.

Remember him arcing up Staker in his second year? Remember him "flying the flag"when the team needs it?

New coach, new era. Appoint the next true leader now.

Tommy Rock for captain,

This gave me goosebumps all over. The time is now! Rockliff is the man, this is an absolute no brainer. He bleeds maroon blue and gold! I believe Rockliff is going to be AA next year, and if he's appointed captain I think he will be a lock for AA and will seriously contend for the brownlow.

And how good is it that we can all get on here and throw around a handful of names that are suitable for he captaincy? Richy, browny, jed, rog all captain material. We've got so many leaders in a young exciting side. Have y'all tried picking best 22? It's really tough now. It's usually tough because we haven't had a solid 22 or much/any depth at all, where as now there is so much debate over who's going to play where.

I've never been more excited about a season of football than this one. New coach, new era, a great young list with so much potential and passion (thanks to vossy). Something's happening at this club and I feel like it is time for these cubs to become lions and surprise the football world! Finals in 2014 I'm sure. If port can get within a kick of a prelim final why can't we???

Yewwww

This gave me goosebumps all over. The time is now! Rockliff is the man, this is an absolute no brainer. He bleeds maroon blue and gold! I believe Rockliff is going to be AA next year, and if he's appointed captain I think he will be a lock for AA and will seriously contend for the brownlow.

And how good is it that we can all get on here and throw around a handful of names that are suitable for he captaincy? Richy, browny, jed, rog all captain material. We've got so many leaders in a young exciting side. Have y'all tried picking best 22? It's really tough now. It's usually tough because we haven't had a solid 22 or much/any depth at all, where as now there is so much debate over who's going to play where.

I've never been more excited about a season of football than this one. New coach, new era, a great young list with so much potential and passion (thanks to vossy). Something's happening at this club and I feel like it is time for these cubs to become lions and surprise the football world! Finals in 2014 I'm sure. If port can get within a kick of a prelim final why can't we???

Yewwww
I have been surprised with early calls in the media in Melbourne.The vibe is that Gold Coast and Western Bulldogs are some chance to make the eight where as the Lions are no chance(we have been pegged bottom four).I'm not saying we will make the eight but to hear repeatedly that we are no chance and(especially) the Bulldogs are some,perplexes me.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I have been surprised with early calls in the media in Melbourne.The vibe is that Gold Coast and Western Bulldogs are some chance to make the eight where as the Lions are no chance(we have been pegged bottom four).I'm not saying we will make the eight but to hear repeatedly that we are no chance and(especially) the Bulldogs are some,perplexes me.

Reading some of the posts on the main board, we have the 2-3 worst lists in the compeition.

Good I reckon. They won't know what hit them when we play them. I'd prefer to fly under the radar.

Reading some of the posts on the main board, we have the 2-3 worst lists in the compeition.

Good I reckon. They won't know what hit them when we play them. I'd prefer to fly under the radar.
Heard an interview with Ryan Griffen and they (cant remember who) asked him if they were aiming for top 4.
Nearly ran off the road.

Heard an interview with Ryan Griffen and they (cant remember who) asked him if they were aiming for top 4.
Nearly ran off the road.

I recall they said last year that Suns will overtake us this year. Still waiting. :cool:

As far as teams I believe we'll finish above, we'll easily cover the following.

GWS, Gold Coast, St Kilda, Melbourne, Bulldogs, Carlton, Adelaide, West Coast, Essendon

I recall they said last year that Suns will overtake us this year. Still waiting. :cool:

As far as teams I believe we'll finish above, we'll easily cover the following.

GWS, Gold Coast, St Kilda, Melbourne, Bulldogs, Carlton, Adelaide, West Coast, Essendon

I doubt it, personally. Essendon in particular I think will be very strong in 2014.

Sort of agree on Carlton though. I actually think they were significant overachievers in 2013. Their list is not good and they need a rebuild. They might finish ahead of us but I'm more confident about our our list going forward than theirs.

As for the Western Bulldogs, it feels like there's a sort of collective amnesia running through the football world. There's a laserlike focus on a four week period where they had some exciting wins against teams outside the top eight, at Etihad, and everyone has totally forgotten the dismal performances throughout the rest of the season. I watched them battle to a fortunate win against GWS at Manuka and it was clear then that they needed some serious work.

They have a soft draw next season and we have a tough one, but even so I'd be very disappointed if we finished below them.

I doubt it, personally. Essendon in particular I think will be very strong in 2014.

Sort of agree on Carlton though. I actually think they were significant overachievers in 2013. Their list is not good and they need a rebuild. They might finish ahead of us but I'm more confident about our our list going forward than theirs.

As for the Western Bulldogs, it feels like there's a sort of collective amnesia running through the football world. There's a laserlike focus on a four week period where they had some exciting wins against teams outside the top eight, at Etihad, and everyone has totally forgotten the dismal performances throughout the rest of the season. I watched them battle to a fortunate win against GWS at Manuka and it was clear then that they needed some serious work.

They have a soft draw next season and we have a tough one, but even so I'd be very disappointed if we finished below them.

Agree about the hard draw, it might make things interesting. But who knows? We went into the 2013 season thinking our rough patch from rounds 8-14 were going to be hard, and they turned out to not be the worst part of the season.

Essendon are a tough one to pick. I feel like they'll succumb to the media pressure, not to mention the huge infractions that they're going to receive. Might be wrong though, but it looks likely. As for the Eagles, they're headed for a downward spiral. Not enough talent on the list to even climb out of the bottom 6. Yeo will love it there.

Adelaide may well surprise everyone, with the recruitments of Pods, Betts and Walker coming back from injury. Their midfield is looking quite potent too.

Look at his response to the hoohaa about his tweet re the homesick 5. Did not back away, but diplomatically turned it from a personal attack to a focus on a flawed system - put the heat on the AFL about 2 year draftees being able to nominate their club. And the only Lion to comment - defacto spokesman for the club.

Rocky is our new leader. Make it official.

Look at his response to the hoohaa about his tweet re the homesick 5. Did not back away, but diplomatically turned it from a personal attack to a focus on a flawed system - put the heat on the AFL about 2 year draftees being able to nominate their club. And the only Lion to comment - defacto spokesman for the club.

Rocky is our new leader. Make it official.

Yep. Rockliff should be our sole captain for 2014 and onwards. Adcock VC

I do wonder if he's ready to shoulder the responsibility but the difference with Rock over Richy I think is that Rocky welcomes it. He looks for responsibility and wrestles with it. He's occasionally going to overstep his mark in the public space which may infuriate Club officials, the AFL and even the coach but hsi teamates and the fans will love him for it.

Rockliff (c) Adcock, Rich (vc) Merrett (court jester/DJ)

Who will be your club's next captain?

With Jonathan Brown deciding to go around another season, it's hard to see any major changes at the top. The big fella is still an inspiration and demands respect from his teammates. Jed Adcock joined him as a co-captain in 2013, and new coach Justin Leppitsch may be tempted to tinker with the structure to include a younger player (Adcock is 28) alongside Brown in 2014 as a form of succession plan. Tom Rockliff and Daniel Rich were vice-captains last season and are the obvious pair to step up – Rockliff with his voice and natural leadership, and Rich with his composure and dynamic play – but the wildcard could be ruckman Matthew Leuenberger. The longer Leuenberger's career goes, the more respect he gains both inside and outside the playing group. Either way, it appears the Lions will have a new sole leader in 2015.

Remove this Banner Ad

2014 captain & vice Captains

Remove this Banner Ad

Back