List Mgmt. 2014 Draft + DFA Talk Part II

Remove this Banner Ad

The club thinks mids are a priority.................just thought that might have been an important thing to note.

From Dan Richardson:
"Particularly in a contested ball-winning capacity, so the likes of Dustin (Martin), Brett Deledio, Reece Conca and Brandon Ellis can play a little bit more on the outside."
“Then some genuine outside speed will probably be the way we go later in the draft.”

Seems to me inside mids are a priority over outside speed. Another point worth noting I thought.
There has been nomention of any other type of player we would be interested in from the club both in trading and drafting. But you hang your hat on KPF's, defenders, small forwards and whatever else you think is important.

I obviously have no idea.
If you were the football manager for a club who was 6 weeks out from a draft would you be publicly stating your recruiting philosophy for your club so that everyone knew what you were going to do or would you float something else to keep clubs guessing? Everyone knows that we need speed, so stating that we're looking for inside types for our first pick just seems rather odd.

Of the players that are mentioned in that quote Martin & Elis are ranked 7th & 11th at the club for contested possession and 1st & 2nd for uncontested possession. We can't play Ellis and Martin any more outside than we already are.

If you were the football manager for a club who was 6 weeks out from a draft would you be publicly stating your recruiting philosophy for your club so that everyone knew what you were going to do or would you float something else to keep clubs guessing? Everyone knows that we need speed, so stating that we're looking for inside types for our first pick just seems rather odd.

Of the players that are mentioned in that quote Martin & Elis are ranked 7th & 11th at the club for contested possession and 1st & 2nd for uncontested possession. We can't play Ellis and Martin any more outside than we already are.
I don't see the big deal in giving an idea in what you will be looking for in a draft. Unless you state the actual player you are after nobody can stop you. Of course on the day as it is a bit of a lottery, anything can happen and I wouldn't be surprised if we took a KPD somewhere on draft day. I think by saying inside types for our first pick he was more referring to pure ball winners rather than outside speedy guys that will need need the ball fed out to them more so. But I'm guessing of course. Also, the fact that it is known that we had a look at 3 mids during trade period and nobody else (at least publically) is a pretty positive sign that will mainly draft mids. I think that is a fair assumption to make at this time.

if the club every needed someone with speed and line breaking ability the **** is the man!.

This club needs to be bold and make him our x factor player. Don't get me wrong Duggan looks great but looks a similar player to over 30 others. We Need a player like this playing for the RFC his a machinee

if the club every needed someone with speed and line breaking ability the **** is the man!.

This club needs to be bold and make him our x factor player. Don't get me wrong Duggan looks great but looks a similar player to over 30 others. We Need a player like this playing for the RFC his a machinee

Pickett is de man by the length of the flemington straight IMO

Happy to get Hunt as a delisted FA and then take 3 picks + Miles

With Pick 12 i'd be looking at going with Duggan who should be there by the sounds of things, classy left footer with a bit of toe, start him off half back as that second rebounder we need and slowly bring him into the midfield and onto a wing, ellis style.

The **** is a reach, but i'd still be excited if we did it :D

(Log in to remove this ad.)

we didnt play it safe in trade week infact we tried trading our first pick for multiple players that fell over, one got as far as a final medical, and thats just the ones we know about

and we dont need to take a risk early in the draft, if cockatoo is rated as the best available great if not get someone else, hopefully our recruiters have seen a whole lot more to make that call than bigfootys 2 minute highlight packages from an exhibition games

If we take a risk i hope we take a risk with our 2nd or 3rd pick and get Caleb Daniel
I wouldn't exactly call trading away pick 12 as being aggressive or risky.

Not that I would do it but offering Rance and Martin to GWS for Sheil & picks 4,6,7 is being risky and aggressive.
Or offering a free agent $800k+ for 7 years is risky and aggressive.

Pick 12 for Trengove and 23 whilst it was a good move by the club I myself wouldn't call it aggressive. It was safe if you ask me. Very smart but SAFE

I wouldn't exactly call trading away pick 12 as being aggressive or risky.

Not that I would do it but offering Rance and Martin to GWS for Sheil & picks 4,6,7 is being risky and aggressive.
Or offering a free agent $800k+ for 7 years is risky and aggressive.

Pick 12 for Trengove and 23 whilst it was a good move by the club I myself wouldn't call it aggressive. It was safe if you ask me. Very smart but SAFE
That's not risky and aggressive, it's stupid and backwards.

De Goey is our man.

Hey THE_GUN, you mentioned a few times that Cockatoo isn't the type we'd go for... and that we won't take the risk on him.

While he may not quite be seen as being in the 12 best kids in the draft pool, he does seem like the type of player (playing style, attributes) we would be after. Wins his own ball, seems a solid kick etc. What about him do you see as being risky? I'm assuming it's more than a race/culture thing, yeah?
I would be more than happy to take a risk or reach for cockatoo and as you mentioned he has all the tools that we are missing in our vanilla line up but knowing FJ and his selections whilst he has been at the club its solid citizen and inside types he likes and maybe go for in the 3rd round.

#12 isnt a top 6 selection and he had no issue with reaching 10 spots for conca but cant see him doing the same for cockatoo.

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. 2014 Draft + DFA Talk Part II

Remove this Banner Ad

Back