List Mgmt. 2014 Draft + DFA Talk Part II

Remove this Banner Ad

Geez, Cockatoo is impressive.

The problem is if you're a professional recruiter and you've invested 100+ hours into the available players who played all season and you're sure they are safe bets, you've analysed everything about them... there's no chance you'll take an unnecessary risk on a 1-gamer that could cost you your job.

Haven't we been there and done that with Conca v Heppell?

Actually **** it, I'm all in on Duggan. If he's there, we'll take him, and he'll be an excellent choice.

Now, here's hoping we get a nice little slider at 33. Menadue, Ellis or Smith would be nice. Actually maybe Gore would be better for a bit of balance.

How would everyone feel about a haul of Duggan, Gore and McLean with our first 3?

Last edited:

You can't cut your nose of despite your face!. His kicking is not elite atm but you do not have to be D Jarman to be a star at AFL level!

IMO you can never deal in absolutes and make the best decisions, there always needs to be balance and a degree of measure in any astute assessment!

Haha considering how you have potted so many players I think this is funny.

Geez, Cockatoo is impressive.

The problem is if you're a professional recruiter and you've invested 100+ hours into the available players who played all season and you're sure they are safe bets, you've analysed everything about them... there's no chance you'll take an unnecessary risk on a 1-gamer that could cost you your job.
FJ will not save his job by playing it safe this time he needs to pull a rabbit out of a hat or a cocky

FJ will not save his job by playing it safe this time he needs to pull a rabbit out of a hat or a cocky

If they let Cocky go by at 12 the whole recruiting department will get sacked eventually.

They need to put their balls on the line and select the Cocky.

If they don't they will be seen as cockless flogs of the highest order!!

By you maybe.

Nah Cocky will prove himself at it will be another Heppell f.... up told ya so .... sick of these turnips who have nfi and no track record etc...

FJ gets behind Conca

Wallace gets behind Tambling

I get behind Cocky, Heppell, Lynch, Smith, Franklin, etc.... I am sick of the same o'll sh.. every year f... me why do I f.... bother!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

That'll be Astbury. Recruiters already said we'll go for best mid with our first & then target outside run after that, so with this in mind who would be available at our 2nd

I know we told the world we would pick Vlastuin before we did but seriously, in a professional age where it is getting recognised things are tougher, if recruiters where going to do something what interest do they have telling the public beforehand?

Astbury is a handy stopper who can help playing a role, but we need a skilled backman down back with size to help Rance offensively if Rance is still with us before we get to our next GF, lets get serious for a moment!

I love this time of year. Especially when a young guy gets anointed as the next messiah. Cockatoo is the ANSWER!! I just read the boards, so have no awesome expertise. (Well I do, but it sounds too cocky [get it]) Cockatoo has the tools to really add to our team. But the good internet draft gurus seem to all have him firming into around 20, and maybe a bit earlier if a club stretches. He's got some issues that aren't killers, but also mean he isn't a sure deal.

With first rounders, in particular, go safe. Get the guy that will play 200 games of a good standard. And try to get good brains and attitude. After that the obvious class is gone and you are picking flawed players. Cocky sounds really good, potentially. You shouldn't pick potential when there are near certainties around. If they do pick him then that means that our brains trust reckons he is low risk, high reward. I'll trust the club for our first rounder and on. We aren't killing it. But then very few clubs actually are. We have one of the best young squads around. With lots of potential showing up to improve from here on in. Just keep building and we should be up there for along time.

I love this time of year. Especially when a young guy gets anointed as the next messiah. Cockatoo is the ANSWER!! I just read the boards, so have no awesome expertise. (Well I do, but it sounds too cocky [get it]) Cockatoo has the tools to really add to our team. But the good internet draft gurus seem to all have him firming into around 20, and maybe a bit earlier if a club stretches. He's got some issues that aren't killers, but also mean he isn't a sure deal.

With first rounders, in particular, go safe. Get the guy that will play 200 games of a good standard. And try to get good brains and attitude. After that the obvious class is gone and you are picking flawed players. Cocky sounds really good, potentially. You shouldn't pick potential when there are near certainties around. If they do pick him then that means that our brains trust reckons he is low risk, high reward. I'll trust the club for our first rounder and on. We aren't killing it. But then very few clubs actually are. We have one of the best young squads around. With lots of potential showing up to improve from here on in. Just keep building and we should be up there for along time.

Great post. Agree in full.

I always look at when we draft a player, who can he come in an emulate initially - then go past eventually.

To me watching Cockatoo, minus the want to be physically imposing (can get away with it against under 16s, probably not against AFL players) looks like a taller Nathan Foley. IF we draft him, I can see him playing that role initially, but eventually becoming a beast.

I like the look of Duggan too. And De Goey. I wouldn't not be unhappy if we get one of those 3 to be honest.

Really, can't see it. Remember Hawthorn turned over, Dowler, Garlett, Muston and other high draft picks chasing talent!

We have too many safe types on our list and not enough talent which clearly is holding us back!

So you are saying there is more to life than just ****?

Agree.

The only thing I would say is certain recruiters can be bias to a certain type of player even without knowing it. It's all opinion after all.

Agree.

The only thing I would say is certain recruiters can be bias to a certain type of player even without knowing it. It's all opinion after all.

Which can also mean the team has too many of the same type, lacks versatility, adaptability and potentially overall ability and scope!

The other thing is premiership teams generally require a number of players of a certain class. Unless you are lucky it usually means some clubs have to reach for a bit of a higher risk type in the later first round to achieve the quota like Hawks with Rioli.

So unless we get down the ladder where classy types are more sound like a Lever, clubs have to select a little more higher reward and risk types otherwise overall the players picked up over time simply will not have sufficient class at appropriate ages like whats happening at North Melbourne

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. 2014 Draft + DFA Talk Part II

Remove this Banner Ad

Back