List Mgmt. 2014 Draft + DFA Talk Part II

Remove this Banner Ad

Will anyone take him?

I think so but can never really be sure. Some project him as a 2nd rounder others as a rookie. He has everything we lack and could come cheap.

Has a better highlights package than Cockatoo. Do you know much about him?
As mentioned by Toadvine, 21 yo 186cm and until recently he was only 67-68kgs and has added a a bit of wieght but probably need another 3-4 kgs to compete at Afl level, Extremely talented footballer with a superb kick and reads the play well. Football was just for fun and has recently taken it seriously

Along with Cockatoo will be some interesting and exciting games at The tigers
He's 21 and just wasn't into his footy much as an under ager.

"When Greg Harding offered Blaine Boekhorst a place in the Swan Districts development squad in 2009 he expected the 16-year-old to jump at the chance, like most young footballers do.

The response he received caught him off guard. "Myself and Matty Carr went out to Wesley College and said 'we want you to come down, everyone says you're a good player' and stuff like that," Harding said.

"He just went 'nah, I think I'm going to go home for the holidays'."

Boekhorst didn't doubt his ability and wasn't homesick for Port Hedland, he just wasn't that keen."

https://au.news.yahoo.com/thewest/sport/a/25236705/boekhorst-injury-hurst-draft-chances/
View attachment 91309

I like him for a 3rd rounder.
Thanks Toad :)

I think so but can never really be sure. Some project him as a 2nd rounder others as a rookie. He has everything we lack and could come cheap.
I personally wouldnt take him with our 2nd not because of his skill but more because i would need to be convinced that he is determined to play at the elite level and has the mind set to persevere with football

3rd - No Problem

You all know who we'll get at pick 12 but are in denial because you want anyone but - Ellis. :)

Jokes aside. Who do you all think would be the midfielder that would most benefit from playing in our midfield? I suppose I'm looking not at what a player brings to us so much as a weakness a player has in an area that would improve having better players around him. Just seems there is something lacking somewhere in all options and some weaknesses may not be so bad given support until they can be ironed out.

This is how I see things...
Step 1 National
Pick one player from each category below:
#12 - N.Cockatoo, L.Weller, L.Duggan, C.Ellis
#33 - D.McKenzie, J.Lonie, A.Neal-Bullen, D.Cavka
#52 - M.Goodyear, J.Nelson, N.Drummond, J.Rose
[*Bonus* players onto senior list A.Miles + T.Hunt]
Step 2 Rookie
Choose one player from groups below:
N.Mellington or B.Evans
D.Cameron or M.Kovacevic
S.Taylor or J.Short
B.Boekhorst or J.Bolton

I like Drummond and at #52 that would be great. Also like McKenzie.

Holy shit, that's some highlights package Boekhorst's got.

Actually I was not overly impressed. He has talent but really all his highlights show is that he has a very nice right foot and bit of acceleration. He could be a very good player but the highlights were very limited to his kicking.

As another poster suggested is how is his overall game? I would add does he have a left foot, what is he like in congestion, how is his marking?Really his highlights are very thin and not a lot of evasiveness shown either as he seemed to be in plenty of space. Does he have a defensive side? Cockatoo seems more well rounded from one game. I can see why some only use a late pick or rookie for him. Blaine could be just a link player.

Last edited:
Actually I was not overly impressed. He has talent but really all his highlights show is that he has a very nice right foot and bit of acceleration. He could be a very good player but the highlights were very limited to his kicking.

As another poster suggested is how is his overall game? I would add does he have a left foot, what is he like in congestion, how is his marking?Really his highlights are very thin and not a lot of evasiveness shown either as he seemed to be in plenty of space. Cockatoo seems more well rounded from one game. I can see why some only use a late pick or rookie for him. Blaine could be just a link player.

It showed a bit of marking and goal kicking. Just great evasiveness and acceleration though. Wouldn't be against him at 52

It showed a bit of marking and goal kicking. Just great evasiveness and acceleration though. Wouldn't be against him at 52

One mark I think against some guy who seemed lost or off balance. Really doesn't tell a lot, he swayed once but can he spin, does he have a step and what is he like under more pressure? You would think recruiters know a lot more about him than that limited vision.

If the game was about right foot disposal you would pick him ahead of Cockatoo but the game is about more than that! He may have suspect handball, might not be terribly smart with the footy, hard to tell from the vision except he can dispose on his right foot effectively including kicking goals

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I agree with this. Not insofar as the qualities of Blakely (I can't profess to say I know to much about him) but I think our team is constantly crying out for x-factor type players. I think Lennon can be one. Possibly even Gordon and Lloyd. But we should have a possibility of adding a genuine midfielder that has x-factor.
I follow your train of thought, and agree with the need you and bc27 have exposed, but am a little confused as to what X Factor actually is..
I have watched players like Greg Williams and Michael Voss and marveled at the capacity they had to negotiate their way through heavy traffic and thread impossible handballs to already moving targets, initiating attacking moves from nothing on a regular basis. Sheds has this ability, though probably needs to get the footy more.
More of this kind of x factor I would love to see at the Tigers.
Imagine if we had a Kennedy, Watson or Burgoyne type feeding Martin, Deledio, Ellis and Cotchin.
For me, based on available vision of course (and I bow to the people that have seen more than me) Blakely has caught my attention more than anyone else. Are there better options?
Of course I'm no expert on X-Factor, and maybe, If Francis Jackson can't get his head around the concept either, we should start a petition to replaced him with RedFoo before Draft day.

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. 2014 Draft + DFA Talk Part II

Remove this Banner Ad

Back