List Mgmt. 2014 Draft + DFA Talk Part II

Remove this Banner Ad

Exactly, IMO he is a lot closer to fulfilling his potential already, and will probably have a quicker impact at afl level. But if he's already closer to reaching is full potential then that would mean his ceiling isn't as high.

I would rate de goey around the same as Duggan right now but maybe a little behind. But I just think he has more room to grow overall than Duggan has
The way I see potential, if he's closer to reaching his potential it doesn't mean he has a lower cieling or higher cieling then someone that is further away from reaching there best. It just means they're further developed.

Exactly, IMO he is a lot closer to fulfilling his potential already, and will probably have a quicker impact at afl level. But if he's already closer to reaching is full potential then that would mean his ceiling isn't as high.

I would rate de goey around the same as Duggan right now but maybe a little behind. But I just think he has more room to grow overall than Duggan has

Duggan is very bottom aged (think he is youngest in draft pool) guys lake Petracca and Brayshaw have 10-12 months on him which is huge at that age.

Who says Duggens cieling isn't as high as a Cockatoo or an Ahern?
Who says Duggen won't turn out to be a super smooth moving midfielder in the Cotchin or Pendlebury mold? He is a lot closer to reaching his potential then the players you've mentioned.

I think Duggan is a standout pick for RFC along with the KPP's. All have good ceilings IMO along with Cocky.

Weller being a RFC tragic is an interesting one. At some point he needs to play for RFC as all tragics do. I thing its better we target Weller later in a trade or via FA. Just think there are better prospects for RFC around him atm in this draft at our first round pick, nothing personal.

Durdin looks very very solid from his highlight package. Looks composed and can go either end. I don't think we'll take him but if he goes past our pick he'll be a steal.

The way I see potential, if he's closer to reaching his potential it doesn't mean he has a lower cieling or higher cieling then someone that is further away from reaching there best. It just means they're further developed.

But do you honestly think Duggan can be a legitimate A grader?

I agree with bc27 & @captaincotch9 , Wellar is from Richo country comes from a good footy family. The clincher a soft Yellow & Black footy he got for Xmas at a very young age which he still has...

I agree with bc27 & @captaincotch9 , Wellar is from Richo country comes from a good footy family. The clincher a soft Yellow & Black footy he got for Xmas at a very young age which he still has...

Yep after reading that I say the hell with everyone else. How passionate would he be playing for the team he's supported all his life. He's got the skills, the work ethic, the supportive footy family, and a yellow and black heart. Snap him up if he's still there

But do you honestly think Duggan can be a legitimate A grader?

Can he? I personally think he can. Will he? I do not think he will. I think he will be a very very very good football player at AFL level, but may in the A-/ B+ bracket.

But do we need another A grader? The reality being is that we are looking to move up the ladder and it is very rare for any A-Grader to be one from day 1. It takes what, 3/4 years to really start to show it on a consistent basis.

Is it better for us to get a consistent performer who can perform at an adequate level from day 1?

Just general questions for discussion :p

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Can he? I personally think he can. Will he? I do not think he will. I think he will be a very very very good football player at AFL level, but may in the A-/ B+ bracket.

But do we need another A grader? The reality being is that we are looking to move up the ladder and it is very rare for any A-Grader to be one from day 1. It takes what, 3/4 years to really start to show it on a consistent basis.

Is it better for us to get a consistent performer who can perform at an adequate level from day 1?

Just general questions for discussion :p

Yeah good points. I would say that most players you pick up are going are going to take time to develop anyway though. You aren't drafting expecting these kids to constantly impact games the following year, that's what trades and FA is for. You draft for the future. And I would take the player I think will turn into the best player in the long run.

Given sound character & how the potential draftee interviews coupled with stable family life are important factors for Club recruiters...how the hell did we ever pick Dusty?
As I recall, there were a lot of question marks over him in this regard...I guess recruiters rated his football ability over all else
Happy we took the risk!

Yeah good points. I would say that most players you pick up are going are going to take time to develop anyway though. You aren't drafting expecting these kids to constantly impact games the following year, that's what trades and FA is for. You draft for the future. And I would take the player I think will turn into the best player in the long run.

With teams like us made the eight, with the first pick your probably looking for a split. Someone who can play a role from day 1, but ultimately develop into a more prolific role. Its essentially what we have done with all of the last three draft picks. Ellis and Vlastuin started off the HBF, and Lennon on the HFF/ sub. We've seen now Ellis move to a wing, and Vlastuin getting more and more time in the guts.

Your later picks are more speculative. I like it how we've gone for high skills, high level cebral guys (McDonough, Lloyd) or high potential level guys due to physical attributes. McBean, McIntosh, Gordon spring to mine.

Given sound character & how the potential draftee interviews coupled with stable family life are important factors for Club recruiters...how the hell did we ever pick Dusty?
As I recall, there were a lot of question marks over him in this regard...I guess recruiters rated his football ability over all else
Happy we took the risk!
Risk Vs Reward.
FJ has said if we had pick 1....like we were supposed to...we would of taken Martin.
"Martin, a powerfully-built midfielder, with prolific ball-winning ability, excellent kicking skills, and an innate goal sense, had been earmarked by Richmond as its No. 1 draft choice for quite some time."

Happy we took the risk!
I just see so much Dusty in Cockatoo that there is no way i would pass on him with #12, This kid can become anything his ceiling is just so high and the best part is that i dont believe he could be a total bust - Just has so much going for him

We have the chance to pickup another potential A grader - Have to go for it

Durdin looks very very solid from his highlight package. Looks composed and can go either end. I don't think we'll take him but if he goes past our pick he'll be a steal.

I think Durdin could be the best player for us. Sures up our defense solidifying it with Rance, Astbury, Grimes and others, giving us ruck support and some forward relief as well! Really could balance up our KPP list forward, back and ruck while given us the quality tall we need!

Wish we had more pick 12's to be honest!

Last edited:
I just see so much Dusty in Cockatoo that there is no way i would pass on him with #12, This kid can become anything his ceiling is just so high and the best part is that i dont believe he could be a total bust - Just has so much going for him

We have the chance to pickup another potential A grader - Have to go for it

Agree, Cockatoo's inside ability and big body mean he is unlikely to be a bust at worst, and should be a star at best!

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. 2014 Draft + DFA Talk Part II

Remove this Banner Ad

Back