List Mgmt. 2014 Draft + DFA Talk Part II

Remove this Banner Ad

Some talk that Lamb may be available at 33. I'd be all over that, guy's a freak.

He's very inconsistent, and doesn't show his talent as much as he could or should. He also doesn't work much defensively. Reportedly, he's a bit of a jackass, got expelled from school apparently, but that's all I know about that. I think he'll be gone by 33 anyway.

Seeing as how we are all talking about making players look like Champions in 5 minute video clips, Could somebody please explain to me why it was impossible to make such a great player like Corey Ellis look good in his clip ...............

Laverde,Ahern,Cavka all played for Keilor and Gee there clips look pretty good to me, But hey what would i know i just live a stone throw from keilor club these players play and train at.

Another thing, are people not liking the Ellis pick because he's not a bigfooty favourite? Chris25 likes him, Quayle had some very nice things to say about him as well and put him at pick 19 from memory in her power rankings. Ellis is a genuine midfielder who has decent midfield stats at tac cup level this year, he's a lovely kick and can play inside. The only knock is pace but there are plenty of good midfielders who aren't fast. In today's football, foot skills and decision making are really important, Ellis has that.

I think most just think there'll be better options available, and fair enough too. I like Ellis but would certainly prefer Weller. Depends who we're overlooking to take him in my view.

He's very inconsistent, and doesn't show his talent as much as he could or should. He also doesn't work much defensively. Reportedly, he's a bit of a jackass, got expelled from school apparently, but that's all I know about that. I think he'll be gone by 33 anyway.

He's been thrown all over the park this year which didn't help. I've heard conflicting reports about his character, some that reflect what you've said but others say he's just a bit short tempered and gets frustrated with himself so he can display pretty poor body language on the field, but otherwise he's a good kid. Either way, I think he's way too talented to pass up at that point. Agree he'll probably be gone though

Seeing as how we are all talking about making players look like Champions in 5 minute video clips, Could somebody please explain to me why it was impossible to make such a great player like Corey Ellis look good in his clip ...............

Laverde,Ahern,Cavka all played for Keilor and Gee there clips look pretty good to me, But hey what would i know i just live a stone throw from keilor club these players play and train at.
Looked better than Cockatoo bounce passing like its basketball. :eek:

What if I merely highlight the bad parts, or merely analyse one game? If you looked at Swan or Watson's early years, you wouldn't have thought these guys would make it, or at least win a brownlow or two and that's over seasons, not minutes. What makes you think you can really have a grasp on how good a player is from five minutes of vision? Heck, I could make a clip highlighting everytime Petracca scrubbed a kick to make him look like a dud. Doesn't make it accurate. And while it isn't true that there are hacks who deliberately try to ruin someone's prospects, or boost them, it is often the case that footage is only from one game, where the player had a poor or average game. Youtube recruiting isn't done by recruiters because it doesn't work.
Doesn't need to be just footage to gauge a small sample of a players weaknesses and strengths. Like I said if you've watched enough footy you can be watching a game for less then a quarter to see these things in a player.

Another thing, are people not liking the Ellis pick because he's not a bigfooty favourite? Chris25 likes him, Quayle had some very nice things to say about him as well and put him at pick 19 from memory in her power rankings. Ellis is a genuine midfielder who has decent midfield stats at tac cup level this year, he's a lovely kick and can play inside. The only knock is pace but there are plenty of good midfielders who aren't fast. In today's football, foot skills and decision making are really important, Ellis has that.
Yea but we have enough one paced midfielders. Would ideal to add leg speed. And a bonus if he is a gun ala weller

Im more than happy to back Cocky against Ellis long term - Lets say 5 years and a slab on the line Tiges ;)
Ellis isn't my favourite at the pick. My point was Cockatoo missed a heap of easy passes in his "highlight" clip and you have a go at Ellis' clip? Crazy

Who said it's impossible to make Corey Ellis look good?

Doesn't need to be just footage to gauge a small sample of a players weaknesses and strengths. Like I said if you've watched enough footy you can be watching a game for less then a quarter to see these things in a player.

You can know how good a player is from watching him for a quarter? At 18 years of age you'd need mad fortune telling skills to pull that off.

Yea but we have enough one paced midfielders. Would ideal to add leg speed. And a bonus if he is a gun ala weller

Hawthorn just won the flag with a fairly one paced midfield against another fairly one paced midfield.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

This is the exact type of mentality that saw us select Oakley-Nicholls you realise?

He's been thrown all over the park this year which didn't help. I've heard conflicting reports about his character, some that reflect what you've said but others say he's just a bit short tempered and gets frustrated with himself so he can display pretty poor body language on the field, but otherwise he's a good kid. Either way, I think he's way too talented to pass up at that point. Agree he'll probably be gone though

It's not just his on-field performances that worry me, it's his off-field performances as well. Don't be surprised if he ends up having a similar career to Dan Connors.

In your opinion of course. There are things to like about both.
I dont hate Ellis but there are better players available at our selection
Laverde,Wright,Weller,Cockatoo,Ahern,Lever,Duggan surely 1 would be available at our selection

Ellis at #17/18 - #25 sure no problem

Sounds like a perfect selection for Carlton

LOL But the point you are raising without knowing is that Cockatoo's clip is amazing and Ellis clip is a total Fail
What's amazing about it? the running goals, the clearances sure.
But what about his field kicking and his handballs? What about his awareness? all very poor in that clip

You can know how good a player is from watching him for a quarter? At 18 years of age you'd need mad fortune telling skills to pull that off.

Hawthorn just won the flag with a fairly one paced midfield against another fairly one paced midfield.
Hill and smith arent very one paced.. plus have blokes like the poo and rioli with speed up forward. A area we are very weak in.

I dont hate Ellis but there are better players available at our selection
Laverde,Wright,Weller,Cockatoo,Ahern,Lever,Duggan surely 1 would be available at our selection

Ellis at #17/18 - #25 sure no problem

I've seen a handful of games of Wright, at times he reminds me of a combination of Josh Fraser and Matt Kreuzer, and I don't mean that kindly. As for Laverde, I saw him play against the Western Jets last year, barely noticed him. I did however notice a certain Corey Ellis who had a very good game.

Last edited:
Hill and smith arent very one paced.. plus have blokes like the poo and rioli with speed up forward. A area we are very weak in.

Deledio and Martin are quick too, Edwards may not be sprint quick but gets to the ball closer than others. Guys like Puopolo can be found later in the draft. My point is that most of Hawthorn's prime midfielders aren't known for their pace. You're spending a top pick on an outside flanker when that's generally what you do when you've got all the other piece assembled.

Weller can go inside. And is elite outisde. We looked so slow this year in patches. And dont compare us to the hawks. They maybe "one paced" as you say. But the difference is they have alot more elite ball users. It makes them look alot quicker. Weller is tagged as the best kick in the draft. All rounded mid

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. 2014 Draft + DFA Talk Part II

Remove this Banner Ad

Back