List Mgmt. 2014 Draft Discussion Part II

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Anyone keen on Shannon Taylor... for those of you that dont remember he was in the same draft as Garlett but lacked the discipline to cut it. Young teenage father that could find a balance between football and family commitments.. gained weight and played local footy. Now he is at Frankston and playing some good footy. Selected to play in the VFL state team and looks a chance to be drafted..

https://au.news.yahoo.com/thewest/sport/wafl/a/23574826/former-tigers-afl-time-will-come/

I'm a fan. He's the type we need but never draft.

Any chance we get Durdin?
I think we need a KPD since we've a stupid Chaplin.
We've got Darrou, Grimes, Rance, Astbury, Batchelor, Chaplin, and maybe Elton.
Darrou would be lacking a bit of height, and still unsure on whether or not he'd be rewarded for his VFL efforts. Grimes is not showing us his potential ever since coming back from injury, not as damaging and composed as before. Rance is our king down back and is now used as the 3rd tall or 2nd KPD. Astbury just got crunched, and injuries are just killing him. Batchelor is very inconsistent, and doesn't seem up to it as he's not very defensive and his offensive game still needs work. Chaplin is just a dud, needs to get the boot and get out and allow someone else to come in. Elton has huge potential but just hasn't blown the VFL out of the park.
Out of our defenders it seems that Rance is our only reliable option. Astbury has injury problems and Grimes is out of form.

Moving on to the midfield. We think that RFC is now holding a war chest to get ready for FA but do we really think they'll use that money for FA or for retaining players?
Do we need accumulators or spark? We've already got a gem in Miles. We've also got Conca as an inside mid. Not sure about Arnot because he doesn't seem to get much of his own ball, had high hopes for Arnot but it's just not working for him at the moment.
We don't have much for spark. Deledio is our spark but once he's down we've got no one and basically it's game over. What's easier to get? Accumulators or spark? Duggan or Weller should be on our radars.

If we could possibly trade one of guys like Batchelor for a 2nd or 3rd rounder or even package him with our 2nd rounder to get a mid to late first rounder we might get another top talent.

Also we need to also understand that we had to convince Stephenson to continue playing for another year, which means he'll either retire this year or next year. Seeing as international rookies cost nothing in terms of main list spots we should get Mason Cox ASAP. If we think he can adapt to playing in the ruck and can catch the ball, play with some aggression and can somewhat kick the ball get on to him. Since the club is making a PROFIT we should have the resources to develop project players. Then we can also draft a rookie or late round ruck like Darcy Cameron.

Need to get rid of the dead wood like Banfield, A. Edwards and Helbig. Also possibly tap a few guys on the shoulder like Newman and King.
The question is do we need a gun mids before we need a tall? I think we do.

Was listening to Hine's podcast. He pretty much says size is irrelevant and one of the smallest midfields won the flag last year. If you have the ability, you have the ability. Worry about size when it's a 50/50 call.

Can't ignore size.
Hawthorn had a great forward line, Mitchell very good for his size, and they still had Hodge/Issac Smith but Freo's mids nearly beat them!

Interesting to hear your comment on Brayshaw. Know nothing about him but suspect he is not total cream as you seem to point out and given the list of talls before the best mids come available from phantom rankings.

As good as the talls may be they can't be as a group that much better than the mid options unless the mid top end is a little weak this year.

I am with you, probably a taller player but at end of the day gotta go best available whoever that is.

Seriously have to think about FA when our window opens as seems evident now Swans will be tossed around due to cola apart from other options like Fyfe or whoever, Tyson/GWS the list of candidates is getting broad now. So we should not be lack midfield options to pick from in 2015 and beyond. No need for us to jump at a mid this year but best available should rule us!

we might get a forward or back yet but Lennon was a great get last year!

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

We can't get Pickett and shiel without giving up an A-grade player.
Vickery. If Cameron chooses to leave, Vickery could be right up their alley.

Vickery and Foley for Sheil
wonder if we could get them to throw in a 3rd rounder if they don't plan too use it.

Vickery. If Cameron chooses to leave, Vickery could be right up their alley.

Vickery and Foley for Sheil
wonder if we could get them to throw in a 3rd rounder if they don't plan too use it.
They have a number of back-up KPF's that are probably better than Vickery as it is. Doubt Foley has any currency. He's done nothing for years. We just don't have the currency to pull off 2 top-end talents.

They have a number of back-up KPF's that are probably better than Vickery as it is. Doubt Foley has any currency. He's done nothing for years. We just don't have the currency to pull off 2 top-end talents.

Not that we'd depart with anyway. Rance I reckon would get us Shiel and then some. But his last two years have cemented him as untradeable for mine.

Grimes might interest them. I think he and our first pick would go pretty close to landing Shiel. If we then trade Vickery for a late 1st rounder best we could hope for is to snag Clem Smith with that pick IMO. Then get Mundy FA. In Shiel, Smith, Mundy, out Grimes, Vickery, 1st pick. Or am I being fanciful :drunk:

Not that we'd depart with anyway. Rance I reckon would get us Shiel and then some. But his last two years have cemented him as untradeable for mine.

Grimes might interest them. I think he and our first pick would go pretty close to landing Shiel. If we then trade Vickery for a late 1st rounder best we could hope for is to snag Clem Smith with that pick IMO. Then get Mundy FA. In Shiel, Smith, Mundy, out Grimes, Vickery, 1st pick. Or am I being fanciful :drunk:

That's so crazy it just might work!

Grimes is worth a pick around 30, add in the fact that he's a young leader and a defender which GWS lack I think this deal (including pick 7 or a pick thereabouts) would suffice. Though I wouldn't mind testing Dan Jacksons worth especially to club in GWS' position. I know he is one of our leaders but he is one of the few players along with Grimes and Vickery that is dispensable and would have a fair bit of currency. So say:

Outs:
Jackson, First round pick, Grimes.

In:
Shiel, O'Rourke/Plowman/Smith/Tomlinson. Or whoever they feel is indispensable and will likely leave in the next 24 months, that we'd be interested in.

I'm not sure who wins this deal but if it were to eventuate GWS would get what they're lacking and we would get two young up incoming stars to add to our side.

Also send Vickery to Brisbane for their second rounder, provided Leppa rates him. Chuck in Batchelor if needed.

That's what I meant. We have no currency that doesn't involve a sideways move or a backwards move.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back