List Mgmt. 2014 Draft Discussion Part II

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Can you tell us more, like why we need him ?
If i'm not mistaken he was one of the dominant key forwards last year but is too small to play genuine KPF and so wasn't drafted? Could suit our structure to have one of these blokes running around as the 3rd tall if 3 genuine big blokes up there doesn't seem to be working.

Look don't get me wrong plenty of talent under 180... murphy, ablett, cousins ect... but i just prefer having a bigger bodied player as the game continues to evolve.
I don't want another plodder who has a big body and gets caught with the ball, i'd rather have pace and bulk him up in the process.

Look don't get me wrong plenty of talent under 180... murphy, ablett, cousins ect... but i just prefer having a bigger bodied player as the game continues to evolve.
Was listening to Hine's podcast. He pretty much says size is irrelevant and one of the smallest midfields won the flag last year. If you have the ability, you have the ability. Worry about size when it's a 50/50 call.

Was listening to Hine's podcast. He pretty much says size is irrelevant and one of the smallest midfields won the flag last year. If you have the ability, you have the ability. Worry about size when it's a 50/50 call.

Who's your pick atm tigs? Pickett?

I think with Astbury and Griff starting to show the ability to be genuine best 22 we are most likely in more need for a mid than a tall. This year could work out well for us as most of the sides below us need talls more than smalls. Brisy have to go tall. Melbourne need to replace Mitch C or if they continue with Frawely up forward they may want a key back. Footscray need talls and can't overlook. St Kilda desperately need talls at both ends. Carlton also need talls with Waite on the way out and even with Waite they are short. This could mean that even if we end up with pick 10 we may still be able to get our hands on the 2nd to 4th best mid in the draft who can come in and play with freedom while Cotch, Lids and Dustin take the tags. We really are short a class midfielder who will ensure one of our guns gets off the chain to cut sides up.

Anyway in the pick 8-12 range who do you think we should be targeting? and should we be looking for a tall or focus on a small?
Most take talls means we take a rated mid this year.
Next year those who took talls this year will take a mid next year,We take a tall next year means we;ll get value.:D:thumbsu::thumbsu:

At the moment Weller. Unless we start doing a bit better and finish too high.
Isn't Weller tied to Gold Coast via their academy program?

Sorry that's more what i was trying to say. If at the same level talent give me the bigger player anytime.

Haven't really watched much of this draft except last years champs and Pickett was okay (harder being underage i know). I'm not too worried about pace, i'd love a player like Jetta, Bennell or Dangerfield but moving the ball quicker is far more important. I know this is Dimma's philosphy too and we have struggled with it this year especially but in previous season other teams and coaches while always suggesting they felt they were a chance with us because we'd switch off or freeze up when we hit the gas off HB we were very hard to stop and moved the ball like lightening.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Sorry that's more what i was trying to say. If at the same level talent give me the bigger player anytime.

Haven't really watched much of this draft except last years champs and Pickett was okay (harder being underage i know). I'm not too worried about pace, i'd love a player like Jetta, Bennell or Dangerfield but moving the ball quicker is far more important. I know this is Dimma's philosphy too and we have struggled with it this year especially but in previous season other teams and coaches while always suggesting they felt they were a chance with us because we'd switch off or freeze up when we hit the gas off HB we were very hard to stop and moved the ball like lightening.
Definitely agree on ball movement being more important but all the good teams have that running power too. Guys that can do damage in a hurry and put some fear into the other team.

Definitely agree on ball movement being more important but all the good teams have that running power too. Guys that can do damage in a hurry and put some fear into the other team.

Yeah Lids is really our only player that can do this. Martin has the pace but has more of a Ben Cousins running pattern then a direct running style.

Yeah Lids is really our only player that can do this. Martin has the pace but has more of a Ben Cousins running pattern then a direct running style.
Yeah pretty much. And we looked lost without Lids' run and carry. Where you been anyway mate? Haven't seen you around here for a while.

Yeah pretty much. And we looked lost without Lids' run and carry. Where you been anyway mate? Haven't seen you around here for a while.

Severely depressed/self imposed exile until i could come to terms with how bad we've been. Knew if i'd come on here i wouldn't be able to deal with the negativity but also starting to worry i'm thinking along the same lines of those people as i don't believe in Hardwick anymore.

I think we have the core the talent on our list with Cotchin, Lids, Dusty, Vlas, Ellis, Conca, Griff, Jack, TV (Despite a lack or form/drive/hunger has the talent), Ivan, Houli, Grimes (I hope), McDonough, McBean, Rance, Astbury (who has impressed me no end), Miles (please play him), Lloyd, Arnot, Dea(Please stay injury free an give him a long run in the seniors) and Lennon (may have been concerned about his pace originally but absolute gem) to be a top 4 side.

But Hardwicks conservative nature is coming through in both the way we play and at the selection table from stagnated build up play and trying to play keepings off too guys like Grigg, Newman, S.Edwards (who i have always been a defender but has lost me this year), King, Chaplin, Vickery and Grimes being continually picked, despite under performing, based on previous history and dropping of Griff (Been a monster around the ball with 1%, who knew? if not always kicking goals) plus not bringing up guys like McDonough and Arnot for long spells.

And it goes back to last year continually picking Nahas despite his obvious problems and waiting 4 rounds for Vlas ect...

After last years final this team was meant to come out breathing fire, we were lacklustre against Melbourne but i thought after the next few NAB cup games we were coming into the season with a real desire and i have seen nothing this year to suggest this team wants to play finals outside half a dozen. No Lids, No Rance (Astbury has more then covered his absence but Chaplin and Grimes have been horrible) and No Ivan (Espeically with the improvement of Griff as 2nd ruck) is not an excuse we should still be beating WB and GC. 4-3 season is on, 2-5 season is all but over.

Severely depressed/self imposed exile until i could come to terms with how bad we've been. Knew if i'd come on here i wouldn't be able to deal with the negativity but also starting to worry i'm thinking along the same lines of those people as i don't believe in Hardwick anymore.

I think we have the core the talent on our list with Cotchin, Lids, Dusty, Vlas, Ellis, Conca, Griff, Jack, TV (Despite a lack or form/drive/hunger has the talent), Ivan, Houli, Grimes (I hope), McDonough, McBean, Rance, Astbury (who has impressed me no end), Miles (please play him), Lloyd, Arnot, Dea(Please stay injury free an give him a long run in the seniors) and Lennon (may have been concerned about his pace originally but absolute gem) to be a top 4 side.

But Hardwicks conservative nature is coming through in both the way we play and at the selection table from stagnated build up play and trying to play keepings off too guys like Grigg, Newman, S.Edwards (who i have always been a defender but has lost me this year), King, Chaplin, Vickery and Grimes being continually picked, despite under performing, based on previous history and dropping of Griff (Been a monster around the ball with 1%, who knew? if not always kicking goals) plus not bringing up guys like McDonough and Arnot for long spells.

And it goes back to last year continually picking Nahas despite his obvious problems and waiting 4 rounds for Vlas ect...

After last years final this team was meant to come out breathing fire, we were lacklustre against Melbourne but i thought after the next few NAB cup games we were coming into the season with a real desire and i have seen nothing this year to suggest this team wants to play finals outside half a dozen. No Lids, No Rance (Astbury has more then covered his absence but Chaplin and Grimes have been horrible) and No Ivan (Espeically with the improvement of Griff as 2nd ruck) is not an excuse we should still be beating WB and GC. 4-3 season is on, 2-5 season is all but over.
Fair enough. We have been pretty awful. Good to have you back. :thumbsu:

All in all. We're average.

If i'm not mistaken he was one of the dominant key forwards last year but is too small to play genuine KPF and so wasn't drafted? Could suit our structure to have one of these blokes running around as the 3rd tall if 3 genuine big blokes up there doesn't seem to be working.
He's probably a bit slow to be a good fit. Our defensive pressure already sucks.

I wouldn't be getting a mid just because we think we might need more atm.

Generally speaking I would be going best available with the emphasis on quality.

So obviously we will not be rock bottom.

If a mid is real high quality or high quality positionally we could take him if he falls to us in the draft after others supposedly take some talls.

But if a KPP is of high enough quality we could take him now factoring in we can solve and mid and other positions a little later.

Biggest mistake is to recruit for 2015 IMO!!

IMO We are really recruiting for 2017 and beyond keeping in mind we are trying to build a genuine premiership team.

It all depends on how we rate various players and options for end of 2014 in the draft/trade and pre-season and how we rate the recruitment possibilities over the next 3 years plus young trade pickup potentials IMO.

Put it this way, I wouldn't be worried to much what we have. I would be more worried about the quality of what is available and how we can get the best players in. Remember doesn't matter if we may end up with a temporary log jam with some players because the trade table is there for the benefit of clubs and player(s) to do any re-arrangements like we seen with GWS Tyson and Kelly

If you have the ability, you have the ability. Worry about size when it's a 50/50 call.

That is very true but outside,say, the top 5 picks who are normally absolute standouts they are always a 50/50 call as there are a number of players (with similar abilities) to choose from for that pick. Clubs will always favour the bigger guys and they usually give us this as a reason for their selection.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back