List Mgmt. 2014 Draft Discussion Part II

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
We will either be tanking or reaching hard for a KPD in the first round. The best one is Sam Durdin who will go top 2 or 3. Probably pick 1. Jake Lever is only 190cm so is more 3rd tall and also likely goes top 5. Then there is maybe Hugh Goddard who is a bit of a swingman. I think he goes 5-10 range and more likely higher rather than lower than that. He's one I'm not totally convinced about. He kinda reminds me of Watts. He has the same athleticism and skills as Watts but he also kind of has that niceness to him. Doesn't seem to have any real mongrel in him.

Sean McLaren is in that list but I'm a bit worried he's a bit of a tweener. That's about it really. Do we draft Watchman who is very good one on one FF and turn him into a FB?

As far as rucks go, ugh.

Peter Spurling is the only one really worth talking about. Very athletic, nice tap ruckman but currently listed at only 199cm. If he stays there it's a no from me.

Duom Dawam has a bit of potential but he's a longggggg way from doing anything.

Darcy Cameron was last years draft and presents as one of the better chances if he develops well in the WAFL. Josh Miller is also from last year and is in the SANFL. Teams seem to be waiting for players to develop at state level rather than draft 18yo rucks and do the hard yards themselves. Might mean these 2 get a chance or someone a bit older, 22/23yo. Not sure who will be that guy yet. Maybe someone like Spurling becomes a late bargain because of this tendency to not draft 18yo rucks.
Its more than likely that Steph will retire, so a rookie tall ruck is essential.

It wouldn't be too difficult, if King, Newman and Foly called it a day. It wouldn't be the same without them although it would be the right call by them to help progress our list further. I can't see A.Edwards being kept beyond this year, o' Hanlon would be in trouble if we recruited someone like Christian Petracca. Helbig is on his last legs if he doesn't do anything this year, i wouldn't mind throwing him around as trade bait to the adelaide clubs to see if either would bite. Dea would be 50/50, may be kept as depth for an injury/suspension to morris. I reckon batchelor and elton will be safe and hopefully griffths now he has been performing well so far this pre season/first round. So Say 6 players are delisted/traded/retire, we could upgrade Matt thomas and Anthony miles and then bring someone else in from another club and pick three kids in the draft.
Foley still has another year on his contract I think.

We had a chance to get Dwayne Wilson last year who is as quick as they come. We could have picked him up late 4th round, or even in the rookie draft. He wasn't picked up at all, which to me, was a surprise because he has all the skills and talent to be a very good player at AFL level.

Wilson was one i really wanted last year. And i do think the squad could do with a Jetta/Motlop/Smith/Bennell type but i don't believe in getting speed for the sake of speed, otherwise you get a White or Gourdis or someone who cannot kick.

I'm personally keeping an eye on Marlon Pickett who had a great end to the WAFL season.

Wilson was one i really wanted last year. And i do think the squad could do with a Jetta/Motlop/Smith/Bennell type but i don't believe in getting speed for the sake of speed, otherwise you get a White or Gourdis or someone who cannot kick.

I'm personally keeping an eye on Marlon Pickett who had a great end to the WAFL season.

That is why I wanted Wilson. He was quick, but he had the skill set and attitude to match.

What we need is Pickett. He is 100% the perfect fit for our club. Though I do like weller who has pretty god athleticism for an inside/outside mid.
Anyone with GOD athleticism is who we should be going after. :D

Yeah still cannot believe he didn't get picked. Be interesting to watch him in SANFL this year.

Precisely. I'd love for Wilson to be a Tiger. Could be anything.

From reports, Brayshaw sounds like a typical FJ pick. And given recent trends, With Cotchin, Lennon and McBean all AIS academy players training and being picked up by us, wouldn't be surprised to see Lim drafted to us either.
Wouldn't read too much into the AIS stuff. We had no other option but Cotchin unless Greg miller took the pick. Mcbean we nearly didn't take and Lennon was the only one left from the top bunch of draftees.

Interesting fact that 10 of our current players trained with us before being drafted: Trent Cotchin, Ben Griffths, Liam Mcbean, Brett Deledio, Troy Chaplin, Tyrone Vickery, Ben Lennon, Shaun Grigg, Nick Vlastuin and Todd Elton....................:eek:

Could Ryan Lim make it 11....................:eek:

An Article from earlier this year:
http://www.richmondfc.com.au/news/2014-01-13/lim-trains-with-the-tigers

Most likely. Just not sure who that could be yet.

Hehehe well played. :p
nope

Really? From reports about him, I've heard Wilson had a positive attitude towards his football.

Interesting fact that 10 of our current players trained with us before being drafted: Trent Cotchin, Ben Griffths, Liam Mcbean, Brett Deledio, Troy Chaplin, Tyrone Vickery, Ben Lennon, Shaun Grigg, Nick Vlastuin and Todd Elton....................:eek:

Could Ryan Lim make it 11....................:eek:

An Article from earlier this year:
http://www.richmondfc.com.au/news/2014-01-13/lim-trains-with-the-tigers

From that, I got Cotchin, McBean, Griffiths and Lennon trained with us whilst as AIS academy players, and the rest were AIS Academy players who trained with other clubs.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

From that, I got Cotchin, McBean, Griffiths and Lennon trained with us whilst as AIS academy players, and the rest were AIS Academy players who trained with other clubs.

I read the 10 bit elsewhere just assumed they would be the 10 seeing as there was 10 there.

He's lazy

Honestly, I'd rather a talented, lazy footballer in Wilson, over a talented, troubled footballer in Garlett. Laziness is easier to rectify than behaviour and lifestyle issues.

Honestly, I'd rather a talented, lazy footballer in Wilson, over a talented, troubled footballer in Garlett. Laziness is easier to rectify than behaviour and lifestyle issues.
I'd rather neither. I already wanna put grigg to death (sent to Melbourne)

Best available all the way. Draft for talent trade for need. Would love to draft a young key back who can come in and play like Phil Davis or Talia but if one isn't there then not worth reaching. If we can't get a good tall would love some pace and excitement.

Googstar I'll reply in here as it's the better thread for it.

as thetradesman already replied Jarrod Pickett is the pick of the speedy players. He's one of my 2-3 favorites in the whole draft. He's as quick as any player going around. Can get the ball and run the length of the field untouched. What makes him elite is he can use the footy exceptionally well, do damage on the scoreboard. What sets him apart from a number of the others is his ability to play in the middle and win his own footy. Question is whether we have a pick for him. He's a top 5 talent but these small, speedy mids tend to go later. I think he goes 8-15.

Clem Smith is another option. He's a tough little bastard. He needs to tidy up his skills so not sure he's a great fit. If he can tidy the foot skills up and control his temper he'd be worth considering if Pickett was off the board. I've seen him compared to Byron Pickett which is probably as good a comparison as you can get. Another 1st round prospect.

Jarrod Garlett is another of the WA guys with genuine line-breaking pace and good skills. He doesn't have the big name of the other two and I haven't seen enough of him to have a feel for his entire game. Garlett is probably more a mid-round option.

I really like the prospect of Nakia Cockatoo from the NT. He's a bit taller and rangier than the other prospects. He's a bit of a utility in the sense he can play pretty much anywhere. I think he could develop into a speedy, skilful wingman or half back which we desperately need. He has a bit of toughness to him as well from what I've seen of him. As an NT prospect he's pretty tough to place. Could go anywhere from 25-rookie depending on his season.

Jermaine Miller-Lewis is a different type in he's more that medium forward with x-factor not too dissimilar to what Troy Taylor was supposed to be. Has all the tricks in the book and likes to crunch blokes when given the chance. I think he's a bit over 6'1 in height so a nice size for a half forward. Some have him quite high but I think he's a mid-late pick maybe even rookie.

Ryan Lim is the kid that trained with us. I don't rate his kicking very highly though so will be interesting to see where he goes. Some talk him up as a first rounder.

Closer to home, Liam Duggan from the Western Jets could be a nice option in the 2nd round onwards. I'm not a bit watcher of the Jets so not overly familiar with him yet.

tigs2010

I am a big watcher of the jets, Duggan is as tough as they come but sometimes his awareness is horrible and his skills are okay reminds me a bit of Foley.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back