List Mgmt. 2014 Draft Discussion Part II

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Can Darrou be used as a rebounding defender? With his size at least he could defend as well. Skills?
Skills wise I think he'd be ok. Not sure he's athletic enough to play as a rebounding half back. SumTingWong will have seen more of him than me though.

Hearing some good things about him. Need to find some time to see him. If he can get some consistent output I don't think he'll be a late pick.

I'm thinking 20 - 40, what are you thinking?

Can Darrou be used as a rebounding defender? With his size at least he could defend as well. Skills?

Very difficult to tell at this stage. He does do it at times at VFL level but it's difficult to do confidently in those terrible teams. His kicking is first rate so no issues with disposal. My issue would be with opponents turning him inside out by allowing him to drift forward and then beating him back into the F50.

Was watching this game. Part way through the 3rd so far.

Lachie Weller (#3) looks good. Classy and smooth mover. He's the anti-Mav Weller.

Hugh Goddard (#23) showed some desperation down back at times which was one of my criticisms of him so that was good to see.

Liam Duggan (#6) has really nice skills. Has a bit of toughness to him, defensive skills are pretty sound for an 18yo and think he could be a nice backman for us in the future if we are willing to invest in him. He's quick as well, which is an added bonus.

Dan Capiron (#18) was solid down back from what I saw. A couple of times I thought he lost concentration but he's probably better/going higher than I originally thought.

Christian Petracca (#27) is a beast but his kicking is below average for mine.

Mac Bower (#19) showed a bit too. Haven't seen much of him either but he looked all class and a fantastic size.

Jarrod Pickett (#1) has been a bit underwhelming so far.

Jesse Watchman (#25) shows glimpses as well. He's the big FB I think we are crying out for. Probably more FF at this stage though.

tigs2010 thoughts on Kyle Langford as a 3rd rounder or on? Bit of a bummer he keeps kicking bags of goals as a forward as he could go earlier, but before he went forward I was quite keen on him as a floating half back, great overhead for his size and reads the play really well, upgrade on batch I thought and could release McDonough/Lennon up the field.

At this stage would like something like this

1st Round- Pickett/Weller
2nd Round- Watchman (as a KPD)
3rd Round- Langford

What about this Conor McKenna 6 clubs are talking to.

Little cost, could be natural. Only played one game. Can he help our small forward contingent . A 18 great age which suits our list profile.

Know little about the guy except the recent article.

I like Essendon and Geelong interested as well as Collingwood and the Bulldogs let alone West Coast.

This might prove the difference to our premiership prospects in 4-6 years

tigs2010 thoughts on Kyle Langford as a 3rd rounder or on? Bit of a bummer he keeps kicking bags of goals as a forward as he could go earlier, but before he went forward I was quite keen on him as a floating half back, great overhead for his size and reads the play really well, upgrade on batch I thought and could release McDonough/Lennon up the field.

At this stage would like something like this

1st Round- Pickett/Weller
2nd Round- Watchman (as a KPD)
3rd Round- Langford
I haven't watched anything this year outside of the AIS stuff. I can only go off guys I remember last year at this stage and he isn't one of them. Sorry mate. His performances sound impressive though. Getting a bit of the ball for a half forward.

Update from the AIS-AFL academy game against the European Legion:

Tom Lamb: Kicked 5 Goals while playing a bit on the wing and down forward. Basically dominated all over the ground for the AIS-AFL academy. Most interesting thing about Tom Lamb is that he has real pace for 191cm player and recorded the highest beep test for the AIS squad.

Christian Petracca: Kicked 3 goals and really hunted the ball when it was in his area.

Hugh Goddard: Kicked 4 Goals and was a real threat up forward.

Clem Smith and Jarrod Pickett: Both showed some nice run and carry down the wings as well as showing some real pace.

Lachlan Weller: was very impressive. Gathering plenty of the ball and showing his class while also kicking a goal.

Some other impressive performances came from Issac Heeney, Bradley Walsh.

I'm really starting to like Lamb, he can play anywhere and is incredibly strong in the air.

If we can't get Picket, I would like him at the moment.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'm really starting to like Lamb, he can play anywhere and is incredibly strong in the air.

If we can't get Picket, I would like him at the moment.

I am too. The only problem with him playing so well at the moment, is that he is quickly moving up the draft order.:(

I am too. The only problem with him playing so well at the moment, is that he is quickly moving up the draft order.:(

Then Picket might slide!

That is a possibility. If a few others start to play well, a few more might slide.:)

What do people think of Mitch Thorpe as a fourth rounder or something of a late pick?

What do people think of Mitch Thorpe as a fourth rounder or something of a late pick?

Not much of a fan of Thorpe. I might be a bit harsh on him because i haven't really watched him, since he left Hawthorn but i thought he was ******* awful there to be quite frank.

I can't say that I am a fan of going after the blitzing pace/excitement machine like Pickett. We need pace and we need it desperately. BUT, people need to realise that it's not our players who are slow but our game plan + fitness. We need players who can run up and down wings and also down the centre who are FAST decision makers and take the game on. Think of a more polished Ellis or a Cotchin. The reason we look so slow at the moment is because we have no players running to break open the game and no players who are prepared to take risks. Notice against Brisbane that we started kicking goals as soon as we started handballing and running through the midfield. Our players aren't slow. We have PLENTY of fast players in our midfield. The only slow player is probably Thomas, but it's not as though he is someone who will be taking us forward.

Players like Pickett come with a huge risk. Look at the past 5 drafts.
In the first round, these are players similar to his style.
2012 #17 - Josh Simpson (Played only two games but still early)
2011 #10 - Liam Sumner (Done nothing)
2010 #17 - Shaun Atley (Looks very average)
2009 #6 - Gary Rohan (Although he was injured, was still average before it)
2009 #14 - Lewis Jetta (Was good for only one season)
2008 #6 - Chris Yarran (Do I need to expand?)
2008 #17 - Sam Blease (Been average)

Not the most impressive list.
I'd much rather us go after players who are fast decision makers and have good skills. Take Vlastuin for example, he would be my prime example. He is only a 2nd year player but looks like he's played over 200 games. He isn't particularly pacey, but he has still stood up to be one of our team's better players this round.

However, I wouldn't mind a KPP with our first pick either. A quality young backman would be very helpful in a few years when the game passes Chaplin.

I can't say I've followed the draft this year, but going off discussions, he sounds like a Rioli type player with blitzing pace, skills and x-factor written all over him.
Difference is he wins his own ball. If anything he needs to work on his outside game to get easy touches so he can do more damage.

So he has all those things you say but has ball winning ability which will make sure he's a cut above the others where as the others get found out at AFL level.

Difference is he wins his own ball. If anything he needs to work on his outside game to get easy touches so he can do more damage.

So he has all those things you say but has ball winning ability which will make sure he's a cut above the others where as the others get found out at AFL level.

You could have described a lot of the players I mentioned above as elite pace, skills and x-factor + win their own ball in their under-18 years. AFL is a different ball-game. Even if Pickett has the ability to win his own ball, it doesn't mean he'll win it at the top-level. Especially with extremely light-frame (74kgs), he'll struggle being up against big inside mids who are up to 90kgs.

I didn't really want to get into a discussion about Pickett because I am not entirely confident in analysing him. What I did want to discuss was that players who are good decision makers, have good skills and take the game on will be much more beneficial for our side and will inject more pace than players with elite speed and x-factor.

I can't say that I am a fan of going after the blitzing pace/excitement machine like Pickett. We need pace and we need it desperately. BUT, people need to realise that it's not our players who are slow but our game plan + fitness. We need players who can run up and down wings and also down the centre who are FAST decision makers and take the game on. Think of a more polished Ellis or a Cotchin. The reason we look so slow at the moment is because we have no players running to break open the game and no players who are prepared to take risks. Notice against Brisbane that we started kicking goals as soon as we started handballing and running through the midfield. Our players aren't slow. We have PLENTY of fast players in our midfield. The only slow player is probably Thomas, but it's not as though he is someone who will be taking us forward.

Players like Pickett come with a huge risk. Look at the past 5 drafts.
In the first round, these are players similar to his style.
2012 #17 - Josh Simpson (Played only two games but still early)
2011 #10 - Liam Sumner (Done nothing)
2010 #17 - Shaun Atley (Looks very average)
2009 #6 - Gary Rohan (Although he was injured, was still average before it)
2009 #14 - Lewis Jetta (Was good for only one season)
2008 #6 - Chris Yarran (Do I need to expand?)
2008 #17 - Sam Blease (Been average)

Not the most impressive list.
I'd much rather us go after players who are fast decision makers and have good skills. Take Vlastuin for example, he would be my prime example. He is only a 2nd year player but looks like he's played over 200 games. He isn't particularly pacey, but he has still stood up to be one of our team's better players this round.

However, I wouldn't mind a KPP with our first pick either. A quality young backman would be very helpful in a few years when the game passes Chaplin.

Looking at that list the majority have work ethic issues so it's unfair to generalise about the specific "type" of player.

I notice you left out Isaac Smith, Bradley Hill, Steven Motlop, Stephen Hill, Polec and Bennell

You could have described a lot of the players I mentioned above as elite pace, skills and x-factor + win their own ball in their under-18 years. AFL is a different ball-game. Even if Pickett has the ability to win his own ball, it doesn't mean he'll win it at the top-level. Especially with extremely light-frame (74kgs), he'll struggle being up against big inside mids who are up to 90kgs.

I didn't really want to get into a discussion about Pickett because I am not entirely confident in analysing him. What I did want to discuss was that players who are good decision makers, have good skills and take the game on will be much more beneficial for our side and will inject more pace than players with elite speed and x-factor.
I'd take weller currently.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back