List Mgmt. 2014 Draft Discussion Part II

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Like I said no expert here so I'm going off what opinions I've formed of the players so far. No doubt this will change as the Champs progress and more info about the kids becomes known. I know the odds of this happening are zero, was just throwing an idea, not a great one mind you, out there for some discussion. I'm still firmly in the Brayshaw camp and am hoping that he slips to our pick, or that our pick slips to where he is available.
If we were to do it you'd want 2 x picks in the teens at the least, where the quality is still good.

If we were to do it you'd want 2 x picks in the teens at the least, where the quality is still good.
Gold Coast at this stage have picks 14 & 15. ;)

I think we can trade for Hawthorn and Collingwood's first round picks end of the year, plus ours pick 6 or whatever so we can be a real force in 2016.

We have to trade out good players for that, Maybe pick up Langdon and Hill as well so after big deals in 2015 we become a real force in 2016 and beyond!

I think we can trade for Hawthorn and Collingwood's first round picks end of the year, plus ours pick 6 or whatever so we can be a real force in 2016.

We have to trade out good players for that, Maybe pick up Langdon and Hill as well so after big deals in 2015 we become a real force in 2016 and beyond!

They won't give up Langdon or Hill.

There is a few guys at Collingwood I have my eye on though. They have amazing depth and some good talented guys aren't getting a gig at the moment.

Josh Thomas and Kyle Martin impress me and Ben Kennedy can't get a gig would be a perfect small forward for us. They keep recruiting very good kids.

I'm still keen to go to the draft but if you could get a kid cheaply with talent I'm all for it.

Agree with Amcre re star quality. We need another gun. Either forward or mid. I get most excited by mids but am thinking that if a first choice tall forward presents at our first pick we should jump. JR would be very dangerous with another genuine target demanding attention. Just look at Tippet with Buddy in the line up. Unless the wheels completely fall off however I can't see one falling into our lap.

With a midfield core of Cotch, Dusty, Lids, Ellis, Conca, Vlastuin I think we are well on the way but when Cotch and Lids get sat on Dusty has been unable to win the game off his own boot and Ellis, Conca and Vlas are probably too Vanila to week in week out cut sides up. Adding a player to this lot who can hurt sides would be a real bonus. Was initially thinking Pickett could be the man but WA were putrid against Vic Metro the other day and Christian Petracca killed it. Watched the footage on the under18 rap on AFL.com and Petracca does have a lot of Dusty about him in his size and appetite for contested ball but looks to have more of a defensive side. Dusty and Petracca could give sides serious nightmares. For now I'm on the Petracca bandwagon! I'm not sure the phantom drafts have done him justice. Looks like he could be a Jobe Watson/Dustin Martin hybrid. Hard at it inside mid, powerful kick, strong contested mark, willing tackler. First season in rep colours as a mid as well should mean upside.

Yep liking Petracca more and more. Hopefully he doesn't fly up the order so we can do something like this

Out - 6 and Batchelor, Vickery
In - 14 and 15 from GC, 16 from Freo

Pick 14 - Weller
Pick 15 - Petracca
Pick 16 - Blakely
Pick 26 - Smith (who I think may slide ala Taylor last year)
Pick 45ish - Whoever slides out of the talls, maybe Watchman/Bevan

Rookie a ruckman and some speed

That would be terrific Stylo but I think he will fly up the order if he plays some more games like he did against WA.

Before 6.25 this evening I also would have said that there was zero chance we would get anything decent for Batch but now that he's come back in he might start to develop some currency.

Still think that with 6 and 26ish (after compo picks) we could nab a good duo. Petracca and maybe a kid like Touk Miller. Due to size he might slide but gee if he's anything like Devon Smith, Blair, Prestia etc I'd be stoked to bring him in.

I'd also be tempted to put one of Vickery or Griffiths up for a top 20 pick. I'd imagine Sts, Dogs, Freo, Bombers would all have a good look. Bombers end of first round compo pick would be a good get.

We can comfortably replace any of the players we have recruited from other clubs , which in the most part of the trash of the 2006 draft .
I would far prefer to get rid of them in preference to our own developed players .
For instance I'd prefer to get rid of Chaplin instead of grimes . Houli instead of McDonough or batch , Grigg instead of Arnott . Maric instead of Vickery . Pettard instead of Helbig etc etc .
They have served their purpose and some may have value . Most of our rejects output can now be equalled by those that have been on our list for 3-4 or State league players .
We may be able to sneak our way into a nice spot by smart trading with these older players and sneak a top liner who wants out somewhere at seasons end which always occurs .

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Petracca would be a great get. Prob the most Dominant Player currently in the Development Leagues. Will win games off his own performances and is a competitive beast. Duggan, and Ellis from Jets. Both damaging players who are elite users. Duggan for me slightly favoured at this stage. We all know the our requirements for drafting should be, elite kick, competitive and can run!

Petracca would be a great get. Prob the most Dominant Player currently in the Development Leagues. Will win games off his own performances and is a competitive beast. Duggan, and Ellis from Jets. Both damaging players who are elite users. Duggan for me slightly favoured at this stage. We all know the our requirements for drafting should be, elite kick, competitive and can run!
Hopefully a Jackson Macrae pokes his head up this year.

Haven't heard much about Duggan and Ellis. Who would you compare them too.

Haven't really thought about comparisons yet.

Duggan is a composed elite user who uses the ball off both feet. Can play inside and outside. Strong hands and can kick a goal.

Ellis is a big goal kicking midfielder. Probably more damaging than Duggan in regards to kicking and goals, but maybe not as consistent. More outside, but for the Jets has played inside also. At this stage they are most likely around the same draft area.

Impressed Here in heavy wet conditions.

http://madmondayshow.com/2014/05/01/rd-5-western-jets-scouting-notes/

Courtesy of Knightmare

Liam Duggan (VIC – Def/Mid)
Height: 183cm, Weight: 76kg, DOB: 11/12/1996
Recruited from: Western Jets
Style:
Player comparison: Luke McDonald
Range: 3-15
Profile: Duggan is a classy player who can play both through the midfield and off a back flank to a high standard. He’s showing this year that he can win his own ball and is also a very lively tackler through the midfield. He has some real pace but his real point of difference is his footskills. With ball in hand Duggan is all class using it well on his left foot, doing damage and seeming to have more time than most to deliver choosing the right options up the field and then making the right decision. He hits targets both over short and long distances so you want the ball in his hands. He also has an above average burst of speed and some linebreaking ability. Duggan has excellent ability down back to read the ball in the air and take the intercept mark. As a December birthday and with his strong continued development there is lots of improvement left.

Corey Ellis (VIC – Mid/Def)
Height: 185cm, Weight: 76kg, DOB: 09/10/1996
Recruited from: Western Jets
Style: Alan Didak
Player comparison:
Range: 5-30
Profile: Ellis is a really creative midfielder who catches the eye at times with some of the things he can do. He’s a relatively light bodied midfielder at this point but he can win some of his own ball and is a lively tackler around the ball. He’s got a nice left foot kick and is a nice user of the footy but has at times tried to do a little too much by foot. In traffic Ellis is generally a very good decision maker and can execute his skills quickly under pressure. He’s also shown in the past that he can play in the back half so he gives you some options.

Give me the best available player who satisfies these conditions:

1: Needs to be competitive.
2: Good kick
3: Decent endurance base
4: Has pace
6: Low risk of homesickness
7: Good character
8: Has it all together between the ears.
9: Someone who actually trusts their instincts.

Might be asking too much, but most that is what we really should be looking for.

are there any good inside mids in this draft? tall well built good users? that accumulate ball consistently?
Not really...not from what I've seen. They're all missing at least one of those components.

Weller is quality and uses it really well and can accumulate but is small.
Brayshaw I'm not sold on his skills.
Petracca skills aren't great and he's still transitioning to midfield.
Ellis is far from well built.

Not really...not from what I've seen. They're all missing at least one of those components.

Weller is quality and uses it really well and can accumulate but is small.
Brayshaw I'm not sold on his skills.
Petracca skills aren't great and he's still transitioning to midfield.
Ellis is far from well built.
think this is an area we seriously lack. we are trying to address it with thomas, jackson, cotch, miles etc but none of them are of the kennedy, barlow etc type. imo we need to release cotchin a bit. arnot helbig and even vlas haven't had extended runs in the guts which is where they need to be played honestly..

think this is an area we seriously lack. we are trying to address it with thomas, jackson, cotch, miles etc but none of them are of the kennedy, barlow etc type. imo we need to release cotchin a bit. arnot helbig and even vlas haven't had extended runs in the guts which is where they need to be played honestly..

Mundy

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back