Preview 2014 Draft Our First Pick - Who Do We Take?

Remove this Banner Ad

I remember listening to the draft in the car on the radio. I had wanted Heppell and it seemed like he was ours until about 2 days before when Conca came from nowhere.

I was praying for Darling to slip 3 more spots and I didn't mind Lycett but when WCE said him I was excited as i thought we had Parker. Boom "Player 1267623879 Jake Batchelor" Heart sank. Kept listening and couldn't believe he went to 42 I think it was in the end. But I always thought at least at the swans you might be able to convince him to come back to Melbourne.

To all you amazing BigFooty drafting and recruiting gods, who is going to be the 'Parker' this year?
Someone taken after our second round pick.

Surely we need a fast, explosive, mercurial midfielder/small forward. I've never seen a team have such a glaring hole that we currently do with speed and small crumbing forwards. It's ridiculous. Haven't been tracking the draft much this year, who would be the players to fir this bill?

Vojo-Rainbow would be great purely on his name, but I don't think we need another half back/3rd tall.

Surely we need a fast, explosive, mercurial midfielder/small forward. I've never seen a team have such a glaring hole that we currently do with speed and small crumbing forwards. It's ridiculous. Haven't been tracking the draft much this year, who would be the players to fir this bill?

Vojo-Rainbow would be great purely on his name, but I don't think we need another half back/3rd tall.
Pickett, Garlett, Smith, Anderson all from WA fit the bill. Lonie another.

I reckon we are screaming out for some more quality off half back now that Lids plays forward. We have Houli and that's about it currently.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I have absolutely no idea of the draft. Will be very keenly watching this thread.....
I think it will be tough to not get a good one out of it. Pretty even all the way through to our pick (outside the first couple.) I don't envy FJ & co, would be some fair debates going on with no obvious standout I'd imagine.

Nathan Drummond is the one I will be looking at come later in the draft. Hard at it midfielder who has a great speed/endurance combo, and will kick goals outside 50. Has had a lot of injuries unfortunately.

Bit hard to tell Francis as we don't know who slides until draft night do we?

well mr parker this parker that, heppell this, heppell that, why don't you tell us who the obvious choices are this year? maybe like 2010 you don't dont have a ****ing clue!

well mr parker this parker that, heppell this, heppell that, why don't you tell us who the obvious choices are this year? maybe like 2010 you don't dont have a ******* clue!
Settle down FJ. I've been very supportive of you. I was just critical of those ones. Bit hard to pick them until it gets to our pick and they're available isn't it?

well mr parker this parker that, heppell this, heppell that, why don't you tell us who the obvious choices are this year? maybe like 2010 you don't dont have a ******* clue!

Hey Frank. Nice first round selections lately. Can you please improve on your selections after this though as its really ****ing us around.

If guys like Luke Parker are around and you have people telling you he's a gem who watched everyone of his games that year, listen to them. To you they may just be fans and know nothing, but sometimes they know more than you.

Just saying.

Plus tigs2010 knows a hell of a lot more than most. Now back to that lab with Blair and this year, get it right please. No more crap. Quality.

If guys like Luke Parker are around and you have people telling you he's a gem who watched everyone of his games that year, listen to them. To you they may just be fans and know nothing, but sometimes they know more than you.
I remember a Club 80 function or something like that when Francis was asked about Parker and most were onto him about taking him. I know someone who spoke to him personally and said he's what we need. A guy who posted on PRE.

I couldn't believe it.
The day that a recruiter "listens to a fan" who tells him a player is "what we need", and then does what the fan tells him, is the day that the recruiter should quit his job due to incompetence. We have a professional team of recruiters. What if 10 fans approach him, all with different favourites, all saying they've watched every minute someone has played, and then the recruiter has 10 different players he "must" pick? Jackson and his team have an exhaustive approach, and they would have already done an exhaustive assessment of every player on the radar.

You clearly have at least one or two contacts in the afl industry, and you clearly have an interest and an ability in assessing draftable players. I like to read your opinion on whom to pick. However, the foolish argument you are promoting here does not enhance your credibility.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Preview 2014 Draft Our First Pick - Who Do We Take?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back