Preview 2014 Fixture - What will it look like?

Remove this Banner Ad

I've been doing a bit of reading and i know a few teams we will NOT be playing round 1 next season
*Carlton
*Port Adelaide
*Gold Coast
*Richmond
*Sydney
*GWS
*Ourselves

by the way the age has reported that these are R1 matchups
CARL V PORT (ES)
GCS V RICH (MS)
GWS V SYD (SK)

here's the article by the way: make of it what you want but i wouldn't read too much into it
http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-news/blues-and-tigers-to-play-once-20131021-2vx73.html

that leaves:
Melbourne, e-girls, Essendon, North Melbourne, Adelaide, Saint Kilda, Geelong, Collingwood (supposedly playing away R1 next year), Hawthorn, Western Bulldogs and Brisbane Lions

so: who will it be? my guess is Melbourne but at this point in time that rumour is unfounded.... where did it come from?

Reported on SEN a few weeks back.

I've been doing a bit of reading and i know a few teams we will NOT be playing round 1 next season
*Geelong Cats
*Adelaide
*North Melbourne
*Essendon
*Carlton
*Port Adelaide
*Gold Coast
*Richmond
*Sydney
*GWS
*Ourselves

by the way the age and AFL.COM.AU has reported that these are R1 matchups
CARL V PORT (ES)
GCS V RICH (MS)
GWS V SYD (SK)
GEEL V ADEL (SS)
NM V ES (ES).... and while we're at it lets add west coast to that list (no derby round 1 2 years in a row and also melbourne teams have to be protected forcing a WA team to travel) hopefully WCE
??? V WCE

here's the article by the way: make of it what you want but i wouldn't read too much into it
http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-news/blues-and-tigers-to-play-once-20131021-2vx73.html

Here's another article explaining why freo wont play the latter 4 (geelong adelaide north melb, essendon)
http://www.afl.com.au/news/2013-10-22/cats-out-at-night-in-2014

that leaves:
Melbourne, Saint Kilda, Collingwood (supposedly playing away R1 next year), Hawthorn, Western Bulldogs and Brisbane Lions

so: who will it be? my guess is Melbourne but at this point in time that rumour is unfounded.... where did it come from?

My friends: Melbourne is looking more and more likely. 1/1 2014 :p

My friends: Melbourne is looking more and more likely. 1/1 2014 :p

So list of team we WILL NOT be playing R1 next season (as it stands with 9 Days before fixture release)
*Essendon
*North Melbourne
*Geelong Cats
*Richmond
*Carlton
*Sydney Swans
*GWS.Giants
*Port Adelaide
*Adelaide Crows
*West Coast Eagles
*Hawthorn
*Ourselves
*Gold Coast Suns

so its either Melbourne, (ES OR PS) Brisbane Lions (G OR PS) Western Bulldogs (ES OR PS) Saint Kilda (ES OR PS) Collingwood (PS OR ES) so.... melbourne, brisbane or perth round 1 2014!

thoughts? btw substantiation has been mentioned on my above posts

Geelong will be playing most games at Kardinya Park at night including a Friday night game.

Pretty much certain that Freo will be Friday night game.

No other KP games big enough to be Friday night

i
dont know.... probably not, because west coast had their 1st 2 games in perth last year (Freo and the hawks) so they had the better of WA for home gams in the 1st fortnight of 2013

Round 1 was officially an away game for the eagles, we've had home games round 1 for the past 2 years I think

Means we get a relatively soft home game first up against one of the weaker teams mrpresident1000 mentioned earlier too. Or at worst Collingwood.

Won't be Brissie though since Caro says they've drawn the Hawks in Launny, so one of Melb, WB, Saints or Pies. Looking like that early prediction of Melbourne could be right.

Go
Means we get a relatively soft home game first up against one of the weaker teams mrpresident1000 mentioned earlier too. Or at worst Collingwood.

Won't be Brissie though since Caro says they've drawn the Hawks in Launny, so one of Melb, WB, Saints or Pies. Looking like that early prediction of Melbourne could be right.
Good, i'd like that :p, thanks :)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Caro says we're playing Hawthorn at the MCG in R2.

You are almost certainly correct in drawing that inference, but it doesn't actually say round 2, just early season. It is conceivable though unlikely we could get them at the MCG in round 3, since the tassie game is officially a home game for them so they could play someone else away round 2 and us round 3.
But I really like that we get them twice next year and play at the MCG not Launceston, the Subi game will be great.

Geelong will be playing most games at Kardinya Park at night including a Friday night game.

Pretty much certain that Freo will be Friday night game.

No other KP games big enough to be Friday night
yeah i agree with that but would love us to be viewed as having the credibility for a G game against the cats.

You are almost certainly correct in drawing that inference, but it doesn't actually say round 2, just early season. It is conceivable though unlikely we could get them at the MCG in round 3, since the tassie game is officially a home game for them so they could play someone else away round 2 and us round 3.
But I really like that we get them twice next year and play at the MCG not Launceston, the Subi game will be great.
so that means that we're playing at PATERSONS in round 1? Right?

True, I interpreted 'followed by' as the next week, but you're right, it could be R3 instead.

That would fit with the idea that the eagles are due for the R1 home game too.

ok
True, I interpreted 'followed by' as the next week, but you're right, it could be R3 instead.

That would fit with the idea that the eagles are due for the R1 home game too.
ok guys.... lets figure this out

Teams we WILL NOT PLAY round 1, 2014
Brisbane Lions
Adelaide
Port Adelaide
Sydney Swans
GWS.Giants
Hawthorn (R2 or 3)
West Coast Eagles
Essendon
North Melbourne
Geelong
Carlton
Richmond
GC.Suns
Ourselves

Leaving Collingwood, Melbourne (most likely), Western Bulldogs, Saint Kilda

Guys: looks like melbourne as you said

on
I don't know, I'm confused, but I guess if we really are playing at the MCG round 2 we must be at Subi round 1. But if we are playing at the MCG round 3, we will be away round 1.
one would've thought.... AHA..... maybe not.... in R4 last year hawks played in Tassie, the next week they played at the G against north (Hawks home game)

on
one would've thought.... AHA..... maybe not.... in R4 last year hawks played in Tassie, the next week they played at the G against north (Hawks home game)

Yeah since the Melbourne clubs don't have the same travel concerns they don't always have the same formulaic 'home-away-home-away' system as the non-Vics.

Yeah since the Melbourne clubs don't have the same travel concerns they don't always have the same formulaic 'home-away-home-away' system as the non-Vics.
yes so we can deduce from tonights facts that our 1st 3 rounds are
R1 Melbourne (PS) Probably Sunday (23rd March) week 2 of round 1
R2 Hawthorn (MCG) Friday/Saturday night depending on round 1
R3 ??? (PS)

I don't know, I'm confused, but I guess if we really are playing at the MCG round 2 we must be at Subi round 1. But if we are playing at the MCG round 3, we will be away round 1.
yeah we have the Len hall game round 6, so it could work out as Freo home 2,4,6 or 1,3,6 (derby round 4 as WCE home game, they also use it round 5)

Remove this Banner Ad

Preview 2014 Fixture - What will it look like?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back