2014 Free Agency Players

Remove this Banner Ad

I think it is going to take something from left field to snag him. I wouldnt want the Club to pay overs and then lose someone from our Top 5or 6 untouchables at the Club.

Oh and no more Kurt Tippett deals lol.

FA is all about paying overs and we can't avoid it if we want to lure players of the ilk of Frawley to our club

Really don't understand the Gibbs obsession.

He wont leave Carlton and for this price he would want we dont need him.

Getting Eddie Betts on 500k a year was smart use of FA. He is worth that. Overpaying (he will want 800k+) to get a player who was "ours" till some sad sack Tealsters did some research to stop our first F/S pick is not smart use of FA.

I think it is going to take something from left field to snag him. I wouldnt want the Club to pay overs and then lose someone from our Top 5or 6 untouchables at the Club.

Oh and no more Kurt Tippett deals lol.
Why not?! Just don't leave a bloody email trail of evidence!

We are not the only club that did/do it we are just the only one dumb enough to get caught! ;)

Getting Eddie Betts on 500k a year was smart use of FA. He is worth that. Overpaying (he will want 800k+) to get a player who was "ours" till some sad sack Tealsters did some research to stop our first F/S pick is not smart use of FA.
If we can get him without sacrificing our five core players, for a reasonable price, then do it as far as I'm concerned. But the chances of being able to pull that off are not with us. David Noble would really be earning his pennies to gain Gibbs then sign up the likes of Danger, Sloane, Tex, Talia and Crouch.

Not sure of the relevance?

FA is a simple concept that doesn't need to be complicated.

How much would you pay to land a desirable player without giving up assets in trade

Gibbs fills a need and is of high quality. The only question is price

Looking backwards is of no use in FA

We may even offer Gibbs a longer contract but lesser amount? Do a kind of Buddy deal on him??
I would the lesser amount that Buddy is getting as Sydney's highest paid player.

Have no issue us signing guns like Danger up to long-term deals that you can build a club around, but not handy types.

IS there any Sydney players we can rip from that club given the exorbitant price they paid for Buddy!:rolleyes:

There could be a few more even after The Swans lost Mumford, White, Everitt and Lamb.
That Buddy deal may somehow prove to be a stroke of genius but it will sit on a knife edge for some time to come.

Just on Gibbs. The CFC was hoping to have things in place for an announcement on their 150 celebration but it could well come about much earlier.

I'd chuck a 4-5 year contract at Brodie Grundy for ~500k a year over Gibbs. Would finish off our best 22 perfectly a Jacobs / Grundy combo in the ruck would be brilliant

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'd chuck a 4-5 year contract at Brodie Grundy for ~500k a year over Gibbs. Would finish off our best 22 perfectly a Jacobs / Grundy combo in the ruck would be brilliant
Grundy would be a fantastic get. The only catch is that we'd have to give up something fairly significant to get him. A) He's not a free agent and won't be for years, thus B) We'd be dealing with Collingwood, who have a well earned reputation for being nightmare negotiators during trade week.

Grundy would be a fantastic get. The only catch is that we'd have to give up something fairly significant to get him. A) He's not a free agent and won't be for years, thus B) We'd be dealing with Collingwood, who have a well earned reputation for being nightmare negotiators during trade week.

Plus the Pies are actively seeking his signature early.

Didn't you tell us that Eddie had re-signed at Carltank?

No he was the first from Carton to give us accurate rumours about him signing with us.

Goneski.
Met with Carlton this morning and was informed that we can't (more like won't) match whats on offer.
Another meeting is scheduled for tomorrow with his agent, however the discrepancy in whats on offer looks way to big to bridge.

no idea tbh, I did hear a while back that he had agreed on principal to what the Crows had offered (I posted it on here somewhere), but I'm not sure whats on offer from North Melbourne now, even then, I dont see how it could be more than what you're offering ($550-$600k p/a)

Remove this Banner Ad

2014 Free Agency Players

Remove this Banner Ad

Back